Gallup Reviews

4.1
Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours - so work/life balance is not great and benefits package is basic(in 18 reviews)

• "Employee engagement activities went from being a paid and frequent staple that employees looked forward to, to infrequent and unpaid requirements(in 15 reviews)

"Great Culture, Great Mission, Smart Tribe"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Media Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Gallup full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved how flat the organization is. Everyone is accessible and will mentor you and help you. The people are so friendly. A strength-based environment makes it easy top partner with people and create great products.

Cons

The decentralized nature of the organization, makes it hard to have your roadmap of success, especially if you're an activator. However, if you find a working partner to complement your skills, it will be great. Some people in Omaha can be hard to work with and always they come up with excuses when you suggest innovative product ideas.

Gallup2020-04-16

"Don't participate in selling modern-day horoscopes for money. That is not ethical."

1.0

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

The campus is gorgeous and great for walks.

Cons

Management, the technology, the fact that their entire business model is built on selling horoscopes to Companies that aren't aware enough to realize it. If you have a hint of another opportunity, take it. It's an awful place to work. Retaliation is real and teams are worse than you can imagine.

Gallup2020-05-11

"This will surpass your wildest nightmares!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

They had some of the best equipment (except chairs) and software that I have worked with. Definitely a five star in that regard.

Cons

Do you like nepotism? Do you love toxic and fake environments? Do you enjoy being fired because management doesn't like you? Well you've come to the right place! Not only do you get those wonderful benefits, but also the fear of being let go any day because they give you nothing to work on for months at a time when you're new! Unless you're coming in as a senior engineer and you can throw your weight around, don't even apply at this extremely poor tech group they call the software side of Gallup. Especially if you get stuck in the lava pit they call 'GAR'. Just run. Don't even put it on your resume, it will stain the paper you printed it on. Be prepared to slave away if you do get work because it's all about getting hours in, even if you're an unproductive leach. You can be there for five years, not know how to code at an eighth grade level and still have a job if you're a favorite. You can also be a genius in your field but be dumped on because you clash with the ancient methodologies of management who have literally had only one job: at Gallup. Their entire lives. Skewed results? I think so. I sincerely question their ethical choices of hiring 80% Indian H1B applicants. Why is that? Are they more qualified? Does their hiring process somehow only get that demographic in? Oh no. It's because they have a noose around their necks while they hold their paperwork in their hands and they know they won't leave the company anytime soon. Their hiring 'culture assessment' is basically looking for people who: want to lose out on their salary, are willing to work crazy hours on soul sucking projects, don't question authority, prefer to spend time at home... at 3AM creating pull requests, will praise Gallup to be their god. I kid you not, I have seen stuff that says 'play hard, work harder' while preaching their 'work life balance'. Yeah right. They also continually like to bring up how great they are and how lucky you are to work there, as if they are guilt tripping you into working harder. Everybody hates it there, unless you have taken a big swig of the Gallup Kool-Aid and you're ready to go down with the ship. That or don't work in technology. Even after having an extremely profitable few years in a row, the moment COVID19 hit, they let people go not even a month in. Of course, if they liked you, you made the cut. Don't forget you have no vacation so you get a big fat check for zero dollars for your slave time. Don't bother to put in your two weeks either, they will fire you on the spot. It's a big fat joke. If you plan on leaving, quit same day, collect your pay and bounce. This is just from my experience, YMMV. If you work for anything other than development, you may love it there. Only software development is filled with this cancer as far as I can tell.

Gallup2020-04-27

"Practice What They Preach"

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time for more than a year

Pros

A supportive strengths-based culture, lots of opportunities to grow, and expert coworkers make Gallup an excellent place to work.

Cons

I have no cons to report.

Gallup2020-03-17

"An amazing organization to build you career!"

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Gallup full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I started my career with Gallup right out of college and will forever be grateful for what the organization did and has done for me. I had the ability to do great work, live abroad, manage teams, get promoted, and help change the strategy of the organization. Gallup has some of the most incredible individuals as tribe members and they really foster a culture that allows you to do what you do best. If you are willing to work hard, push the envelop, impact and change the world, and most importantly think creatively - this is a place for you. Gallup is extremely agile and is constantly shifting to meet the demands of their clients. I had the opportunity to build my own career with the full support of the leadership at Gallup. I started as an analyst, became a consultant, then a manager and consultant, and ended as a business development leader. As long as you are passionate about what you are trying to accomplish and do, Gallup will give you a voice.

Cons

If you need a lot of structure and constant expectation setting for what to do, this isn't the company for you. Go to Gallup if you want the freedom to build your own path and carve out a role that is based on your natural strengths.

Gallup2020-03-16

"Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smart, capable coworkers - Great managers (called coaches) - importantly, becoming a manger is not a requirement for advancement, helps keep high caliber in this role - Strong focus on individual growth/development - Lots of opportunity to work on a variety of clients/projects - Despite longer hours - work-life balance remains important for managers (coaches) and most teams - for example our employee goals for 2020 focus on not just professional growth, but wellbeing as well.

Cons

- Similar to other consulting firms, longer hours - not your typical 9-5

Gallup2020-03-11
  7. "Gallup"

4.0
    Current Employee - Client Support Escalation Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee opinions are heard and considered. Opportunity to do what I do best every day. Clear expectations. Frequent constructive feedback. Opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Change can be slow. Lack of opportunity for non-degreed employee.

Gallup2020-02-26

"Practice what they preach!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Gallup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gallup practices what they preach when it comes to engagement, flexibility, accountability, and utilizing strengths. It is a flat organization with a lot of bandwidth to run with your ideas, create new initiatives, and have a seat at the table. I love coming to work at a place where there aren't clock watchers and where your input is truly valued!

Cons

People who have been around since the beginning are tied together and it sometimes feels like an exclusive club.

Gallup2020-02-05

"Great people, no strategy"

2.0
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant

I worked at Gallup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good work life balance

Cons

Family run company with blinders on

Gallup2020-02-07

"Not Consulting, only a survey provider"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Gallup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

some level of autonomy they're trying to create approaches for different industries.

Cons

Gallup has shifted to primarily focus on selling products through their technology platform. Every organization looks at them only for surveys or Strengthsfinder. That's about it. Not a whole lot of organizations use them for their talent assessments and even less use them for customer surveys. Why? because they can't evolve and they are getting behind the times. Case in point, you try to sell a talent assessment to an organization and the assessment takes 35 minutes to complete. No candidate is going to go through that in an environment with historically low unemployment. If you want to implement a survey the same way with various organizations, go for it, but don't expect clients to look at you as a trusted adviser or a consultant. It's funny because internally, the CEO would brag about how we won a single contract in a given year away from MBB and acted like Gallup is now at the level of MBB when in reality, Gallup is a more expensive, less impressive tech platform than Qualtrics. Jim (CEO) and Jane (Jim's sister and COO) need to retire and the leadership team needs to not be a bunch of yes men to the Clifton regime. Also, there were some concerns of let's just say political correctness in the workplace from our CEO? Jon's a smart guy and should lead but he needs to overhaul the leadership team with people that think critically and strategically. Or just sell the company. Promotions are entirely dependent on your manager and is subjective. They all have differing standards of what it means to be promoted. My manager, while a decent coach, barely promoted people. He had a set of standards his team had to meet but this wasn't something used to assess everyone, it was something he created. Another manager promoted people almost yearly. Expect to be paid 20% below market value but work A LOT of hours. They use the excuse that it's because consultants don't travel but there are plenty of consultants who are constantly traveling. It's an excuse, they want to sell projects where consultants are on site more but they won't adjust pay to match. Also, raises barely happen. I was told that the bonus I earned was really good (which it was and worked my butt off for it) but because it was so good, I wasn't going to also get a raise. Way to pretty much tell a high performer to start looking for another job. Also, this company is probably going to be sold soon. Every year for the past 8 years, revenue was flat or declined but somehow Gallup remained profitable. If you enjoy annual re-orgs, then Gallup is the place for you. But get ready to work for a company that is selling a survey platform first and if they are lucky, some consulting. You'll have about 15 clients to hit your billable hours goal but that's ok, survey implementation is all the same.

Gallup2020-01-29