Gallup Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Gallup Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Clifton
Jim Clifton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "extremely flexible schedule: you pick your hours" (in 40 reviews)

• "Wonderful work life balance conditions" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance doesn't exist" (in 16 reviews)

• "Employee engagement activities went from being a paid and frequent staple that employees looked forward to, to infrequent and unpaid requirements" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"First 6 weeks at Gallup - Technology Manager"

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gallup has a pathway to excellence on boarding program that offers a comprehensive overview of Gallup, the history of the company, why we do what we do and how we go about doing it. The on boarding program spans months and is all about relationships, meeting people, connecting to the ecosystem, and learning about how you can be a great Gallup citizen.

Here's what I have figured out in my first 6 weeks:

Gallup isn't your typical "Corporate America" business - people are highly engaged, super accountable, and get stuff done! We work hard and play hard.

There is very little red tape - if you need something, make your case for it. If it adds value and has a good ROI, you will likely get it. If it's a nice to have, you'll learn we are fiscally conservative and proud of it.

It's flat and title agnostic - you will not find an org chart when you start and titles won't help you understand what people do. If fact, my title isn't manger, it's "go-to" as in a person others can go-to if they need something. The idea is to do what you do best for the majority of your day. This is why relationship building is critical - it's like getting a 500 piece puzzle without a picture and you will need to figure out how it all fits together. (My puzzle is still a work in progress - it will take a while to figure out the matrix)

It's like a small town / big family - it seemed like everyone I was introduced to or introduced myself to had heard I was hired, heard my name and knew I was the new manager in technology. I felt a little like the shiny new toy at Christmas.

There is no rule book - you will need to find out how you can add the most value based on what you bring to the table - if you are a black and white thinker, this could be hard - if you are wired like an entrepreneur, this could be AWESOME!

Campus and Benefits:
    The campus is beautiful, there is plenty of open collaboration space/conference rooms and tons of natural light. We have an on-site cafeteria with free coffee (its great), on-site gym with trainers (they are awesome), a full service credit union (they are great to work it) and more. We are all about well being from every aspect!

Our health insurance is a high deductible plan and is by far the most affordable plan I've ever seen! It was like getting a raise when I signed up compared to what I paid at prior employers. We also have 401K, disability, life, vision, dental, etc. You will have a one on one session to understand it all when you join.

Overall:
    Hopefully this gives you a really good idea of what you might expect if you are looking at Gallup. When I looked at Glass Door reviews prior to joining Gallup, they didn't help me as much as I had hoped so I wanted to put this out there. In my first 6 weeks, I can say that I am thrilled to be a part of the Gallup tribe and can see myself staying for a very long time!!

P.S. Our talent team is pretty awesome - you should connect with them for more info.

Cons

See the pros to determine if this is the type of place you could see yourself fitting into.

Gallup Response

Feb 27, 2018 – CHRO

Welcome to Gallup and thank you for your review! We work very hard on maintaining an authentic and high performance culture that ultimately drives great client work and impact. We are glad you have... More

"Vice Chairman and Chief Financial Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long Term career opportunities abound. I am a model of the opportunities. Have worn multiple hats, worked in countless countries and had opportunities to learn and grow beyond all expectations.

Cons

We work hard. We play hard as well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing to continually walk the talk of The Best Managers providing an exciting and engaging place to work.

"Excellent strengths based environment."

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing and the mission is strong.

Cons

There can be a lot of transition and reaction to market trends but keeps it fast paced

Advice to Management

Keep communicating and doing what you are doing to make this one of the best workplace environments out there.

"Great place to work"

I worked at Gallup full-time

Pros

Strengths based, great environment, flexible

Cons

No cons, Gallup is great.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gallup has a unique culture--if you are a driven person with a strong work-ethic and excellent client/work execution, you will be rewarded and recognized beyond your wildest dreams. Gallup really does care about and engage their employees--they practice what they preach. I've never felt like I was developed and my talents allowed to shine so bright anywhere else outside of Gallup. The people here are genuinely welcoming, friendly and appreciative of the work everyone here does--I think largely because of the strengths-based culture. Also--flexibility!--Gallup has one of the best cultures for autonomy and setting your own schedule, while you may work a lot of hours--the flexible schedule and unlimited vacation can help make up for this.

Cons

Because Gallup is so flat, there is often a delay in decision-making. This can feel frustrating at times.

"honest review"

Former Employee - Lead Software Developer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Lead Software Developer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Gallup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, nice workspace, family friendly.

Cons

Lack of strategy, poorly managed. The company does not use internal expertise but instead frequently rotates through puppet leadership to make change without outcomes. Business has no long term strategy and makes knee jerk reactions without thinking through implementation or a strategy. Company can be a positive place for women but mostly only those in management positions. There are very limited growth opportunities as a software developer within the company making this a decent first job.

Advice to Management

Have a plan. Sell the plan and stick with it. Change for the sake of change is frustrating. Identify leaders. The mesh of inconsistent leadership is confusing and causes developers to feel they are doing work without meaning. You have some very toxic people that need to be taken care of if you want to see some positive change.

Gallup Response

Aug 14, 2018 – Executive Director - Software Development

Gallup’s mission is to deliver great analytics and advice, and our technology team plays a crucial role in making these analytics and advice come to life for our clients. Our department’s strategy... More

"Market Research Analyst"

I have been working at Gallup full-time

Pros

Easy and flexible hours.

Cons

Have to work evenings.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Gallup full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, great culture, great people

Cons

Will occasionally have to put in some long days.

"The Unique 5-Star Culture of Gallup"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gallup is a unique culture based on relationships - working together, growing together, caring about one another as people, and recognizing that we are all at our best when we support each other.

Cons

Gallup expects nothing less than your best, so come prepared to be all that you can be every day and to do your utmost work hard for the team/family/tribe

"Working at Gallup"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Analytics and Research in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Analytics and Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gallup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to work on interesting topics and issues, as well as guide your own development and develop specialties that make your role unique. Great office culture, with flexible work schedules and management that treats you like an adult.

Cons

Sometimes veers into "too nice" where negative issues or sentiments get swept under the rug. If you're looking for more hands-on direction or mentoring you can feel lost, especially at first. Opportunities to learn don't mean they do much training themselves - it's pretty sink-or-swim sometimes.