Geographic Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Toomey

1. "Challenging and rewarding"

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most satisfying and most rewarding job ever. The day goes by very quickly. This company is really making a difference in the world. So happy to be a part of this company.

Cons

My only con is that I would like to see more training for new employees. I believe they are working on that now.

Advice to Management

You guys are great. Keep up the good work.

"Sure glad I don't work here!"

Former Employee - Data Services Manager in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Data Services Manager in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

super nice co-workers, nice location

Cons

Most management was barely competent. A few managers were. Very shallow technical pool of talent (at mgt level) for a 'technology' company.

Advice to Management

If you pay peanuts, you get elephants. Also, GeoSol has had success in spite of itself, not because they're building a better mousetrap. Is not the way to run a product shop.

3. "intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

my boss is nice and very helpful.
    i'm learning a lot.
    the work load is very heavy.

Cons

I don't know yet as I just started.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL

Pros

Benefits and treatment received by management

Cons

Only one monthly pay. Nothing else I can think of.

6. "QA Analyst"

Former Employee - Programmer/QA Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer/QA Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, free drinks, willing to train.

Cons

Salaries are well below average

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - BI Manager & Acting Director of Federal UI Reporting in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of room to grow your skills and to make a difference at this company, there's a lot of comradery amongst and between management, development, and all other teams.

Cons

Required work hours can grow exponentially long term.

Advice to Management

Addressing work-life balance issues needs to be top priority.

"Fast Paced and Rewarding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Geographic Solutions for over 2 years. This is a progressive company with lots of growth. I enjoy working for the company for many reasons to include; fast paced environment, the product is top notch where we provide a valuable service to the public. The system is used in 25 states. We have several new contracts which keeps us very busy. Coming from organizations where layoffs and downsizing are happening, I feel job security at Geographic Solutions. I have been told that the company has never had a layoff or outsourced. The company is growing because it offers a great innovative system and the service provided to our customers is first rate. In addition to new customers the current customer base continues to purchase additional modules and even new modules not yet developed. I think this speaks volumes about the product we produce and the confidence level our customers have in us as a company and products we provide.

The company has lots of perks too. There are events that I enjoy participating in like; mud runs, Sports Fest, 5k runs, walking/running club, health fairs and gym on premises. The company encourages healthy activities for staff. The company is also involved in food and toy drives and sponsors an orphanage in Africa that makes me feel really good about working for a company that has a humanitarian side. In addition the company sponsors events that allow staff to interact and enjoy each other’s company. They do GeoSocials where the company sponsors beer, wine and food. There is a really nice holiday party with open bar and great prizes. There is an employee appreciation pool party every year with open bar and great food. I felt welcomed from my first interaction with the company.

I have had the opportunity to travel for the company to meet on site with customers and to get a first-hand understanding of their needs. I have immensely enjoyed being involved from the beginning of a project to deployment. I find it extremely rewarding to work with customers and getting the positive feedback when users start using our product. The work is intense but I enjoy working for a fast paced company where I am never bored. My day goes by very quickly and no two days are the same. I have the autonomy to be creative which is important to me. I am frequently asked my opinion and encouraged to be creative. My supervisor is supportive and helps me through challenges when I need her to.

In short, I recommend this company to anyone who is not afraid to work hard and is looking for job security. I am proud of the work I do and the product I am a part of putting out there. I love my job and the people I work with.

Cons

The work never ends. Management cannot seem to hire people fast enough and the learning curve is pretty significant. I don't know how you get ahead of the curve in hiring and avoid layoffs. I guess I would rather be work for a company that is always hiring than a company that over hires and has to lay people off. I have been layoff twice in the past and I prefer job security.

Advice to Management

Provide more frequent in house training to team consistency.

"View after a year"

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a software vendor programmers are very important at the company. Still has a small company feel with very little bureaucracy. Many great people work there. Friendly environment.

Cons

Company is deadline driven and fast paced which some employees have a hard time with. Others find it an exciting environment.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you hire the most qualified individuals so that standards are maintained. Provide more opportunities for cross team interaction.

Geographic Solutions Response

Apr 21, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for this perspective! Software is what we do and what we love. We are driven to exceed our customers expectations, a bit cliché but true. We will continue to focus on ways to enhance our cross ... More

"Great work environment"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Palm Harbor, FL

Pros

Friendly staff, great company events/socials, fully paid health benefits, generous PTO, community service day, wellness committee plans events, opportunities for advancement, 401k, AFLAC (optional), health fairs, friendly environment. Overall it's the best place I've worked. I feel involved, appreciated, and included in a lot of activities. It makes working here fun! It's nice that the company has been recently recognized with some awards.

Cons

I don't have any to list.

"Worked there for quite a while"

Current Employee - Web Devgeloper in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Web Devgeloper in Palm Harbor, FL

Pros

100% Employer Paid benefits for Employee. casual dress code, free drinks, more room than before, basically an average company to work for.

Cons

Long hours without notice, micromanaging management, out of date development tools, they seem to have a hard time moving forward, benefits plan is average, not all they hype it up t be. Pay would be good (not great) to work there if you didn't have to work so long. There's also a lot of turnover, whether people being let go or people leaving. No room for advancement, very flat management structure.

Advice to Management

Rethink your hiring strategy, there's too much turnover. Stop thinking you're better than most other employers and become better.