Gigamon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Gigamon CEO Paul Hooper
Paul Hooper

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 3 days Free lunch and 2 days free breakfast (in 11 reviews)

• Great Place to work, great benefits, growing company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is pretty bad (in 9 reviews)

• Middle Management is a mixed bag (in 8 reviews)

"Best place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to work with good technical team. There are lots of areas to grow.
    Employee friendly.
    3 days free food and 2 days free breakfast
    Unlimited PTO

Cons

Lots of changes going on now. Nothing as of now.
    I don't see much fun activities to unite the team.

2. "Services"

I have been working at Gigamon full-time

Pros

Individual Contributors are great to work and collaborate with.

Cons

This group has a lot of potential but is poorly managed.

"sales"

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people Great Product customers love Gigamon

Cons

Quotas are extremely way too high. Commissions way too low. You can't make money here.

Advice to Management

Change the sales pay plan

"Best company to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is solid and executive staff is second to none.

Cons

None that you wouldn't expect from a company this size.

Advice to Management

All solid and no advice needed.

5. "Good company - going through a lot of change"

I have been working at Gigamon full-time

Pros

- strong products
    - good customer base & reputation
    - friendly workplace

Cons

- changing culture and organization
    - development resources, especially in software, spread too thin.

Advice to Management

Make existing products fully featured and have them realize their full competitive strength before moving resources to another project.

Gigamon Response

Oct 16, 2017 – CEO

I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding both the changing culture and our ability to realize greater competitive advantage from our development efforts. Please reach out and we can arrange a time to... More

"Great product but company upside down right now"

I worked at Gigamon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Listened to customer needs, TAC is great, nice people to work with

Cons

In a state of flux

"Really good place to work!"

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Gigamon for many reasons. Sure ,there is the free food but the reason I really enjoy working here is we are all in it together and it's not just a slogan. I've worked at places where there is a clear caste system between execs and others and it's not the case here. There are cross-functional team meetings on important initiatives that truly include representation from all levels and all teams and every voice matters. This is rare, special and deserves a pause because we are not a start-up. I feel pretty good about knowing what our end game is (yes we have a pithy slogan to help us remember) and I know how to play my position to get there. Employees are respected, I feel respected, and we have a laugh together. Mistakes are okay, no one is walking on eggshells. Our CEO is as transparent as his fiduciary responsibility allows. Our technology and commitment to innovation is fantastic and finally the people. I've saved the best for last, the people at Gigamon are hands down the best. The people care about each other, they care about the customers, they care about the company. When sales wins a deal they thank the engineering team. It's a team that truly cares about each other with genuine warmth.

Cons

We have an open work environment and what we need to complement this is a couple things: 1. Designated quiet work spaces where people can go to work when on a deadline or on work product that requires quiet time (math / writing). 2. More conference rooms for managerial 1:1s. Some managers have large teams of people and are not in an office. There are not enough conference rooms and booking of conference rooms for 1:1's contributes to the conference room shortage when real collaboration needs to happen. Seems like a small thing but.... Okay - on the food please solve the food shortage problem. It's like Pavlov's dog - if one is not in line by 12 or 12:15 there isn't any food! It's a big tease.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the new execs and leaders coming into the business. Ask seek and understand questions and preserve the warmth and humility of the organization while bringing your amazing skill set and energy to the table. We need you, we need everyone.

"Wish it would go back to how it was"

I have been working at Gigamon full-time

Pros

Good benefits. The culture in general is good, depending on the department you work in. The technology is very interesting. At one point this was a thriving company and I would recommend it to everyone.

Cons

After several years, certain personalities in leadership have become detrimental to the health of this company. In particular at the VP and Director levels, they are allowed to intimidate and demean their subordinates. Despite having a good HR staff, these interaction issues largely go unresolved, and the top leadership does not seem to care or be aware. It is really too bad given where the culture and leadership had been .

Advice to Management

HR needs to have all VPs and Directors go through 360 reviews with their subordinates. There is a very big issue with how some at these levels treat the ones that work for them.

9. "Opportunity knocks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Gigamon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Smart engineers ( not all ..but in several teams)
    - Awesome Sales team
    - Free Food(on 3 days of the week)
    - Orange Fridays
    -Good benefits

Cons

-Mobility within teams should be improved.
    -PLM should be more engaged with engineering in product development

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and delivering great products. Improve Opportunity to Sale conversion rates and push boundaries! Reward employees who deliver!

"Not a good place to work - Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Gigamon full-time

Pros

Location - Centrally located which is good

Cons

1. Management lies to employees about no promotions during mid-year but many at high level got promoted mid year including people in HR in 2015 and 2016
    2. High pressure environment because they not willing to hire the right number of people needed to do a job. They hire 1 person expecting them to do 3 person's job
    3. Zero work life balance - You will be expected to regularly work on weekends and overtime, without compensation and recognition. They don't care how many hours a week you put in because its all part of the plan. They hire you to do 3 persons job so you have to put in the extra time which makes it normal and fair for them. Other companies are decent enough to either pay extra or give comp time off. Forget work life balance here
    4. Nothing cutting edge is happening here - and its all proprietary
    5. You will not get exposure to latest technology and whatever you learn here is irrelevant in the industry. Whether they admit it or not not one cares about Gigamon's technology as the world has bigger and better things to do
    6. Competition is eating Gigamon's lunch
    7. PTOs - the company moved to unlimited ptos model which essentially means you get 10-15 days off and wont get a payout if you leave the company. they wont give you more than 15 days off so unlimited ptos is a scam

Advice to Management

While the CEO is too busy on the business side of things, someone needs to ensure that employees (specifically non executive) are happy. You cannot promote your favorite people and expect to be called fair. You need to regularly reward performing employees. Otherwise, the rest of them, like me will find new opportunities and move on.