Granicus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Fletcher

1. "Decent place to work, could be great with minor improvements"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Granicus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, work remote, managers that care, paid health care. Perhaps the new acquisitions will bring on higher salaries and better benefits (401k, stock?, etc).

Cons

Lack of community/culture, below average pay, below average benefits, lack of career growth

Advice to Management

Invest in employees, make it a great place to work & a place that works great. Continue to be transparent with employees

"Awesome company with a bright future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Great Atmosphere
    Great co-workers
    Good benefit coverage (Paid by company)
    Agile Development
    Managers back employees 100%
    Lots of opportunity to grow

Cons

Stressful client base
    low-middle salaries
    Training is ... well.... complicated / non-existent...
    No tuition reimbursement
    Unorganized policies and implementations
    poor quality vendors that cause issues constantly with performance / uptime.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employee's, they are your core and are what make your company great. Give your hardworking and solid employees a raise (most are well deserved for bailing you out of issues).

"Bon Voyage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I proudly worked for Granicus for almost a decade and enjoyed every minute of it. Its best assets have always been the people that have worked there. The environment was fast and constantly busy (which I considered a plus). There was never a dull moment and I had the opportunity to meet incredible and talented people in my tenure.

The company was acquired in mid 2014 and changes were made almost immediately. Contrary to management accounts, about 90%+ of the SF office was liquidated as the transition from SF to Denver, CO took place.

Once the Denver team got started, I had the pleasure of meeting various team members and they were top notch individuals; culturally, it appears as though Granicus will continue with the tradition of hiring dedicated, smart, and fun people.

I can't share any sight on how Denver operates or what is good about it because the SF team was pretty much cut out of the loop the moment management made the decision that only a handful would be making the transition to Denver.

I can say that the teams built in Denver were a mirror image of the SF office so from a resources perspective, it appears that little has changed; however, >90% of the SMEs are no longer there so I suspect that expert knowledge has been difficult to come by; it is not rocket science so time will give all respective teams the needed knowledge to overcome any challenges that may persist as part of the move.

Would I work for Granicus today? Not unless compensation was way much better and I could work remotely (not fond of Denver) in any case, it is time for the next adventure. Would I recommend Granicus? neutral-no; if you are up to the challenge, don't mind mediocre pay, no perks, and love Denver, go for it.

Other positives:

*Good product vision
    *Continues to expand its subsidiary portfolio suggesting that bigger things are coming
    *Great people
    *Deep pockets so it doesn't look like you'll be out of a job unless they can find a much cheaper place to relocate to ;-)
    *Great client base

Cons

I cant speak for Denver and the SF challenges are no longer valid since all mid level manages and VPs were canned in the transition. However, I suspect that some operational bad habits have made the move; these include:

* Customer Service - as mentioned earlier, the team is great but it lacked the knowledge required to identify many 'out of the box' implementations out in the field.

* All teams have new management and only a couple of folks have expert knowledge; I am certain that this would make days and client interactions challenging

* Substandard PMO practices can make deployments challenging

* Long sales cycles

* Questionable Product Management and Q&A practices; as a result, products are constantly eating up resources with fixes instead of innovation

* Its competitive advantage is quickly eroding; competitors have more exciting products out in the field. Again, Granicus has made recent acquisitions suggesting that they are looking to offer fresh and perhaps exciting new products in the future.

* Poor internal communication from top management to the troops. - This may have changed but during my last 10 months, it was ran like the German Stasi.

* Mediocre pay - Definitely not anywhere close to Bay Area salaries but even for Denver, compensation seemed relatively low.

*Mediocre benefits

*No 401K match but this was the same in SF

* No shared vision of what the company planned to do for the upcoming year - This may have changed, if not, sharing the road-map is imperative to keep all troops moving in the same direction.

Advice to Management

The employees add the magic sauce to all companies - The bottom line important but people are always priority (yup it's easy for me to say since it's not my money ) but squeezing every cent out of each dollar is also not good business and can turn out to be more expensive - you don't think so? Spend a few minutes reviewing the aftermath of the move; most of the challenges faced were completely preventable if people all around were kept as the #1 priority.

"Accounts Receivable Manager"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Manager in Half Moon Bay, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Manager in Half Moon Bay, CA

I worked at Granicus (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and good values.

Cons

no room for real growth

"Old Granicus was awesome, new K1 Granicus not so great!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Granicus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The old Granicus when under the leadership of the founders was a fantastic place to work. The founders built the company on an awesome culture and almost everyone loved their jobs. I loved my job, loved my manger and loved who I worked with. But then came a company called K1. They deiced to buy the company out, get rid of the leadership team including the loved CEO - brought in a CEO who has no CEO experience but claims he has been CEO four or five times before.

Cons

Those who are looking at Granicus for a new career. I would highly recommend you be cautious of joining this company. The ultimate plan K1(k1capital.com) has for Granicus is to sell the company off again once they are highly profitable for a huge profit. So, your job security won't really be there. Once they sell again, who knows where the company will move AGAIN.

Advice to Management

There is no advice, K1 is in complete control of the company.

"Granicus is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Granicus (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Granicus through the transition of moving the company from San Francisco to Denver, and witnessed the inevitable chaos that comes with that - employees leaving, support cases piling up, etc. But after 6 months of being in the Denver office, I'm amazed at how rapidly Granicus has returned to being a vibrant, stable workplace. The employees are nice, management is very open about the status and goals of the company, and there's room for professional growth. The 40th floor view of Denver and the entire mountain range doesn't hurt either.

Cons

Lots of employees who have been with Granicus for less than a year, which occasionally means there's not well-defined processes in place.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have more company gatherings so the new staff members and old staff members can get to know each other better away from just work meetings.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Granicus (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work. Nice people

Cons

Inexperienced Management. promote people are not qualified.

"Relocation is imminent, but can a leopard change its spots?"

Current Employee - Current Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Granicus was an interesting company in an interesting industry. You felt like you were doing some good working here, and your days were unlikely to ever be boring. We had a strong mission that we were all passionate about. But Granicus was sold to K1, and is no longer that company. It now has different management and most likely a different culture, mission, and level of passion. Any pros mentioned in reviews older than a couple of months are therefore irrelevant, but hopefully there are different pros. I believe there's a good view of the mountains from the office in Denver, and the fact it's near light rail seems like the major highlight in all the postings for the jobs that everyone currently has in San Francisco. Another pro may be it looks like a lot of people will start in or around the same time, which could be good for company culture.

Cons

Granicus was acquired by K1, and its HQ is in the process of relocation from San Francisco to Denver. This is going to be a completely different company very soon, with new management and maybe 50% completely new employees (at least). A lot of employee expertise has already walked out the door and more will follow, but the new owners don't care as they seem confident they can hire adequate replacements at a significant discount. Therefore, every review up until the past 6 weeks is irrelevant to anyone applying now. However, I think anything in the past 6 weeks is relevant as a leopard doesn't change its spots... Who knows what decisions these guys will be making a year, 2 years from now... They've already proven they think anyone (everyone) is expendable. I wouldn't ask for a raise much if I was you:).
    Actually, I think if you're starting within a few months of the date of this review, you're in for a rocky time (pun intended), unless you like being in situations where everyone is relearning everything all at once. What I think will happen is the new owners will work you hard for as cheaply as possible for a couple of years, then you'll be sold again. So maybe two years from now is the better time to join. The core mission of this company is still valuable inspite of who may be running it currently.

Advice to Management

Treat your Denver-based employees more honorably than the way you have treated your San Francisco ones. If you're going tell your employees a story, or deny certain rumors, be aware that when you post something on the internet that contradicts what you said, we can actually see it. At the time of writing, we haven't actually officially been told about the relocation plan, which was initially denied during an all-company meeting. We just all know about it due to the newspaper article and all the job postings on glassdoor, craigslist, linkedin etc. But we know you don't care if we saw it or not. Hopefully you'll learn some day that good leadership actually includes caring about the people you're leading. There's more to us than merely being line items on a balance sheet.

"Great mission - Future uncertain"

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Past track record showed that the company cared about its customers and employees.

Cons

Current transition strategy under new ownership leaves a lot of uncertainty

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the customers and the needs of the employees. Profits will follow.

"Trouble in Paradise?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granicus full-time

Pros

Very passionate team of people. Decent benefits. Interesting products.

Cons

Lot of terror sweeping through the office after recent acquisition has many wondering if they will have a job in the coming months. Firings have already been swift and unexpected.