Granicus Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Granicus CEO Mark Hynes
Mark Hynes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I work with a group of smart, talented, great people (in 5 reviews)

• Work-life balance, work remote, managers that care, paid health care (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This is going to be a completely different company very soon, with new management and maybe 50% completely new employees (at least) (in 3 reviews)

• There was a recent merger so it is operating as a new organization with new leadership, processes and the pains that go with it (in 3 reviews)

1. "People like working there"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineers work with a high level of autonomy and flexible schedules

Cons

Lack of senior overview.

2. "Moved to Denver"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Granicus (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, fun and creative people.

Cons

Company laid off all San Francisco employees and moved to Denver. New management.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. If they are top performers make sure you get them to stay!

3. "Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Granicus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good support from Manager, Marketing provides quality content

Cons

some lead generation but not much

Advice to Management

nothing

4. "Good job, great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Granicus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Appreciated; engineers have a lot of input in development direction
    Good benefits package

Cons

Recent merger has resulted in necessary changes

Advice to Management

Continue to be up-front with employees regarding upcoming changes!

5. "Great mission helping use technology for civic engagement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Granicus full-time

Pros

Great mission, smart and talented people, wonderful downtown location, a company that invests in its employees first (and also lots of company events, breakfast in the office on Fridays, beer and wine always on-hand).

Cons

Could re-double efforts to focus on the mission - helping government and helping citizens interact and engage with government.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring mission-driven employees who care about helping connect government to communities, solve problems, etc. From there, everything else will fall into place.

6. "Amazing company doing some incredible things"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a very dynamic time at Granicus as they grow mostly through acquisition. This makes for a challenging and fluid workplace at times, but for me it was a lot of fun to be part of it. Leadership treats employees well and empowers us to take ownership of our responsibilities and succeed.

Cons

With any M&A activity, there can be friction and uncertainty. It can be hard to deal with so many transitions in a short period of time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but don't forget to listen to customers and the sales team for the ideas that lead to innovation!

7. "Great company managing transition"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Support Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Support Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Granicus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. VERY Talented workforce -- Smart, ethical and talented people.
    2. Strong management (mostly) -- Good managers are always sporadic, but in general there is a strong, dedicated management team at Granicus.
    3. A wealth of productivity tools and applications -- Strong team productivity due to efficient use of the best productivity tools and applications. Atlassian, Zendesk, Slack, Salesforce, etc.
    4. Open, inclusive environment -- all POVs are welcome and valued at every level of the company
    5. Comprehensive HR team -- Not just HR admins. managing paperwork, the Granicus HR team are dedicated employee advocates at their core.
    6. Strong operational processes in place -- There are established, successful processes and protocols that keep most things moving efficiently.
    7. Strong technology leaders on Operations team -- The technology and product teams have the best leaders in the Twin Cities technology community.

Cons

All cons revolve around the GovDelivery acquisition and merger with Granicus.
    Changes that come with big moves can introduce feelings of uncertainty, fear, disappointment due to management changes, new policies, procedures... a longing for the days of yore, but for those who like challenges and finding new opportunities, who can muster through some of the inherent challenges of a merger, it doesn't really have to be a con.

Advice to Management

Executive level: Continue to listen to your mid-level managers as they have the street view you think you understand, but really don't. Also, most importantly, compensate and promote people accordingly. Not just for the work they do, but for the responsibility they have.
    All the other Managers: Continue to listen to your team, building their skills, responsibilities and work to ensure they are compensated appropriately.

8. "Strong Growth = Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Granicus is full of smart, hardworking and creative individuals that embrace and understand the company's vision. As an employee, I can see the positive effect that we make in our community every day. It is a company that empowers their employees to achieve top quality work with a great culture where we work hard and has fun doing it.

Cons

Granicus is a growing company and we all experience change on a weekly basis. For me, growth means opportunity, but if change scares you, or you need constant supervision, then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on growing the company and continue to trust and value your employees!

"Pivotal time"

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and enjoyable coworkers, direct managers are generally good from what I've experienced, lots of teams are growing and maturing so there's a lot to learn and a lot you can choose to take on and excel at if you're motivated. Teams are growing and changing a lot so you get to play a part in shaping your team a good bit which is a big win in building a place you like to work day to day.

Cons

The merger has been tougher than expected, especially for teams that have already been pushed together. Leadership is so busy with hitting their numbers they're mostly absent from day to day all together. After years of having really engaged and personal leadership, it's culturally a big shift to never hear a peep from anyone with a c-level title outside of formal presentations once a quarter. Also, HR has gone from a friendly and helpful partnership to stressed out and borderline adversarial with employees which is a shame and affects how I feel about working at the company.

Advice to Management

Listen and be authentic - let down that corporate leadership shell a tiny bit. Set aside time to actually engage with employees outside of a webex. Spend even a little time on setting a vision for culture of the company so that people know what they're supporting with their many work hours.

"Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Digital Designer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Digital Designer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Granicus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have endless opportunities to have my voice heard. The work I do means something more to me than just filling out a time sheet. I get to make an impact for huge government agencies. I get to provide a level of excellence where "just good enough" would otherwise probably be good enough. We get great benefits and are encouraged to make our non-work life a top priority. I have grown professionally and have opportunities to grow further. "It is what you make of it" definitely applies to this company.

Cons

This is a product-centric company, and as I am a service-centric employee, things don't always align for me here. The company is also currently merging with other companies, and may do more merging in the future, so I have to be flexible and adjust often. I get pulled in several different directions, which can be both good and not good. Overall the culture feels healthy, but unchecked and prone to having the loudest voices be the only voices heard.

Advice to Management

Reward the people at the bottom and treat them like they are the most important people in the company, because they are. They also know the most about the customer, as they deal directly with them every day. Include them more in your decision making process.