GuideStone Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
O.S. Hawkins

1. "Good company overall"

Former Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every other Friday off. Great PTO. Best retirement matching I've seen. Friendly people. Christian environment. Competitive in its industry. Pay is market competitive.

Cons

HR department is slow. Lack of upward mobility unless you want to stay in your same position for 5+ years to wait out your immediate superior (not bad if you love the company, but a problem if you're young and ambitious). Executives are very secretive. Because of my position, I knew certain information before others and executives would wait months to tell the company.

Advice to Management

Communicate more openly with employees. Other companies executives will send out monthly letters or something similar to share updates - which is better than vague announcements in chapel once per quarter.

"Overall Good Place"

Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, Great Bosses, and Great Benefits

Cons

It's a non-profit so it's not a fast growing company which means upward mobility isn't as readily available here as it is elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Aggressively try to grow platform.

"Great Overall Place to work"

Former Employee - Insurance in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, very flexible schedules available, overall great leadership that has the best outcome for the customers.

Cons

none here except the tollway fees for people driving from the north.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Senior leadership is not leading the company into the future. If you're over 50, forget it.

"Senior Plan Documentation Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Plan Documentation Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Plan Documentation Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial full-time

Pros

This is one of the nicest companies I have worked for. The employee benefits are fabulous!
    They offer employees a flexible work schedule where you work 9 hour days with every other Friday off. They also offered a traditional work schedule.

Cons

This is a non profit entity so salaries are on the low side of market. The employee benefits offset this issue.

Advice to Management

It is a fabulous work environment and I was pleased with management.

"Balancing Ministry & Business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Forney, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Forney, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent call center providing world-class customer service and investments teams. Excellent on-boarding and training opportunities - offers a corporate university, with degree plans for every job role. The Brand Management team is very creative. The IT team is supportive. The facilities are well-maintained. Benefits include underground parking, 9/80 work week, 10% employer contributions + matching retirement dollars up to 5% more, employee medical & dental paid by company and free coffee & tea. Historically most people who work at GuideStone have a heart for ministry - serving non-profits, the "pastor at the crossroads". Employees love working at GuideStone, as evidenced by their tenure - some well over 40 years of service! New leadership at the C-suite level and above were hired starting in 2013 bringing fresh ideas. The Business & Marketing leader is visionary and meets with his staff regularly.

Cons

Insurance Operations is behind the times, but slowly implementing a new system and making strides toward a new service model. One Executive does not meet with his entire division (at all). The CEO and COO will not look past people with weight issues. Effective June 2016 the new HR leadership offered an "Employee Agreement", followed by a "Voluntary" Retirement Incentive (VRI) to 20+% of the staff. While the VRI it was "voluntary" for some who jumped on it right away, many others who delayed or rejected the VRI were later told "it would be in their best interest to take it because their position was being eliminated". Between 10-15% of the oldest and most tenured people (and all of their intellectual capital) left the organization and there were talks about "eliminating more positions". There is no longer balance between ministry and business. One senior leader said that if we just hired some more millennials we could get things done a lot faster. On 6/6/16, the CEO was heard saying we have been around 98 years and will be around for many more, "if we can remain solvent".

Advice to Management

While millennials are bright and have good ideas, focusing solely on their opinions is exceptionally risky and they certainly don't have a lever on the stock market. Get a handler or speech writer for your CEO, he does not understand his tongue is like a two-edged sword. Consider cutting people from your payroll with poor performance ratings first, then the 50+ people hired in 2015, rather than scorching the earth of most employees with high ratings, who are 55 and older. Eliminate the one leader who is a wolf in sheep's clothing. While you may not be able to return to the reason the board was established in the first place, the ministry of supporting those who minister - please find balance between business & ministry again. The participants are counting on you!

"Falling Apart"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Positive and supportive Christian work environment that is career growth-oriented. Friendly people. I was provided with excellent training and challenging new opportunities which allowed me to progress from entry-level to senior management over the course of 8 years. Salary and benefits were also very strong. Why would I rate this as a 2 star opportunity now? See below...

Cons

While my experience that started 8 years before was positive, the organization is completely stuck in that era and fails to adapt its internal culture and marketing methods to match best practices and current trends (despite best efforts from department leadership). This leads to the inability to capitalize on basic market opportunities. Embarrassing, but not surprising, to witness. Despite efforts to push GuideStone forward to the present, they were never truly understood or invested in philosophically. New leadership arrived a few years ago to simply drive home what had worked a decade earlier. I couldn't bring myself to rate GuideStone at 1 star due to the many positive experiences I've had there in the past. But, I also can't rate GuideStone any higher because they're still there...in the past.

Advice to Management

Adapt or die. Seeing and hearing much more about the latter happening lately.

"It is not just a job but a ministry"

Current Employee - Employee Programs Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Employee Programs Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GuideStone Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are great and the retirement plan is fantastic with employer matching. The employees are like family to me.

Cons

The executive management want the employees to believe they are being transparent but they aren't. Sometimes they treat the employees like they aren't smart enough to handle information.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key and we have recently had several attempts to improve this but I'm not sure they "get it".

"Thankful to be done"

Former Employee - Retirement Operations in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retirement Operations in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New employee training was detailed & comprehensive. Benefit package was generous & facility was well maintained. Co-worker support was outstanding. Ongoing training was encouraged and beneficial. Facility was clean & well maintained.

Cons

The climate changed in 2014 and the ministry which had, in my opinion, set GuideStone apart from other secular financial services organizations began to be replaced with an aggressive focus on production numbers. Positive work environment began to disappear and morale and confidence levels plummeted.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see the collateral damage being left in your wake. In the interest of your bottom line, you have "encouraged" good, faithful, experienced employees to leave the building. Many who remain are tired, discouraged and disillusioned. And it is your participants who will suffer the consequences.

"Unknown"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at GuideStone Financial (More than 3 years)

Pros

GuideStone is a great company as far as what they stand for!

Cons

There have been a lot of changes recently which has lowered employee morale significantly.