Guidebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidebook CEO and Co-founder Jeff Lewis
Jeff Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Awesome people, Evolving company"

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guidebook has undergone a lot of change in the past year and expected to undergo even more change this year. No one likes change but I think it's a good sign and an indicator that leadership is willing to make the tough decisions necessary to keep Guidebook innovating and growing. We have hands down, the best content management system out there. It's been a grueling past few months but I'm excited for all the changes that are coming over the next few months.

I love the people I work with. They are what keeps me coming into the office day in and day out. They inspire me to work hard, and I've never met a funnier, goofier, smarter group of people than at Guidebook. Everyone is incredibly welcoming and it's the type of workplace where employees actually hang out with one another. Whether it's a quick game of Rocket League, or taking ice skating lessons, playing magic, or grabbing a beer with one another at the bar across the street, we develop long lasting friendships here.

I've grown a lot as an individual and as a professional here, and it's because Guidebook has always given employees a great deal of responsibility and ownership. Despite the ups and downs Guidebook has had while I've been here, I'm happy to be working alongside such amazing people and to be afforded such opportunity.

Cons

There are growing pains and pains associated with changing/evolving organizations... these are not unique to Guidebook but can get stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Please continue to share information with us through All-Hands meetings & emails. I would love to hear more from Jeff and the executive team more frequently.

2. "Guidebook"

I have been working at Guidebook full-time

Pros

team is a great bunch of hardworking individuals

Cons

startup culture can be very fast moving with daily changes

Advice to Management

keep the culture positive and a great place to work

"Scrappy, fun and flexible"

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart, driven coworkers. Great office. Ability to make a big impact.

Cons

Risky (as all start ups are).

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

From my time there, I found that many of my co-workers were generally nice people who had a good sense of humor. They were the only positive parts of the company culture. The sad thing is that the kind people who work here are actually powerless when it comes to changing the things contributing to high attrition and repulsive company culture (below market salaries, toxic management, distrust, etc).

Cons

Note to job seekers: If you are interested in the facts, I'd highly recommend checking LinkedIn and searching for people who formerly worked at Guidebook (using the "advanced" search option, enter "Guidebook" under "past company"). You will see that there are tons of people who left after 1 year, or in some cases, 3 - 8 months. The facts speak for themselves. The high churn rate is more telling than all of the glowing 5-star reviews posted on Glassdoor (which mysteriously seem to appear ONLY after a negative rating pops up). For some time, seemingly without fail, any time any sort of negative rating was published, one of the stock 5-star reviews would emerge, lauding the company's "great people," "amazing company culture" and "complete transparency" – the only advice to management being to "keep up the fantastic work!" I strongly advise paying attention to the rating dates and trends.

There are thousands of great companies to work for, and tons of great startups in the Bay Area if you want to go the start-up route. Given the bounty of options (and honestly even in the absence of these options), I would not, under any circumstance, recommend Guidebook. In my experience, I found that my interviews went very smoothly and I was quite impressed by everyone I spoke with (all of whom, at the time, seemed genuinely kind and excited about the company). Don't fall for this act. About 3-4 months in, the koolaid wears off and you'll see that promises of promotions and raises, of freedom and autonomy to work on whatever you are interested in, will have been replaced by long grueling hours of thankless work. You'll get tired of being overworked and underpaid.

Personally, I found that company transparency was very poor – what you knew depended entirely on who you knew. If you were part of the select "in" crowd, then you'd be privy to company gossip and information about company direction, etc. If not, then too bad; you'd just have to keep toiling away blindly, hoping that someone would notice your work and that you might eventually get a raise and be compensated even close to market. (You won't).

Most people I know who worked here around the time I did have since moved on to amazing jobs and are much happier. They are making **AT LEAST 2-3X** their Guidebook **base** salary, not even including additional bonus and equity (that is actually worth something I might add). Note that this is specifically for non-engineering positions, although I have no doubt engineers here would also make plenty more elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Can't you at least space out the fake 5-star reviews a bit and throw in some 4-star reviews for believability? Or just a thought – how about you invest a mere fraction of the time and energy you spend trying to maintain this facade of Guidebook being a great place to work into actually improving the work environment, paying people fairly, and retaining talent?

In all seriousness, though, it makes me sad to see what's still happening at Guidebook and that little has changed since I left. I hope you won't just disregard the negative reviews, and will take some of the advice to heart. It's not just about gaming the system and artificially inflating your Glassdoor ratings. It should be about the employees. I'm a believer of karma, so I think you will get what you deserve.

5. "Appropriate title"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, great team to work with.

Cons

Disconnect with upper management, constantly changing policies.

"A healthy place to work; amazing"

Current Employee - Director, Web Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Web Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous equity; strong traction and revenue; design and product focused; pragmatic approach to development; and a strong commitment to retaining and growing key employees.

Unlimited PTO policy; catered lunches and a fun, young and energetic staff.

Bright future with a ton of growth potential in current and new markets.

Cons

As of the time of this writing, still trying to nail down a balanced compensation plan for the Sales team.

Due to the fact that Guidebook is still very much a start-up w/ aims to achieve profitability, compensation can be lower than market average.

Advice to Management

Stay laser focused on the product and only build new features that will truly move the needle.

"Enjoy coming in every day"

Pros

Guidebook is a fantastic place to work at any point in your career. I'll start by echoing what a lot of people have already said: people. Everyone at Guidebook is down to earth, smart, friendly, and truly believe in the product. I believe everyone that gets hired at Guidebook, fits the culture; this creates an environment that you enjoy working in.

As for your career, whether you are a seasoned professional or just starting out, Guidebook will help you grow, whether it’s a specific skill or you want to venture out, you will be supported. The opportunities exist if you are willing to put in the effort.

Leadership at Guidebook fits into the "people" group I mentioned above. They are people I respect, learn from, and enjoy working with. I've worked many different companies and have never worked at a more transparent company. The leadership team strongly cares about creating an awesome product and holds their teams up to very high standards.

Cons

Budgets are smaller so I can’t do everything I want but that’s part of being a startup.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent about about goals and changes at the company. Keep hiring standards high.

"Great People and Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Guidebook for 2 years.

I enjoy working with about 2/3 of my colleagues. People are competent and have positive attitudes. As a result, I am happy on a day-to-day basis (super important to me!).

I've seen plenty of people who are deserving of promotions receive them. Management doesn't always do everything right (see below), but I do genuinely believe they care about professional development. The company tends to promote from within, which is motivating.

Guidebook is growing and demand for the product only seems to be increasing.

Cons

The company has outgrown its San Francisco office on 1 Zoe. It's crowded and there's a shortage of conference rooms, which occasionally impacts my ability to perform my job.

Pay and equity is good (it has improved since I joined), but not great. Obviously it's expensive to live in SF.

Company communication could be better (what we're working on and why)

Advice to Management

Find a new SF office
    Improve company communication so people know what we're working on and why
    Hold people/teams to deadlines. It seems like we almost always miss deadlines on big projects (and if we've communicated this deadline to a client, then it's puts salespeople/account managers in a tough position).

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tangible impact on building a lasting product
    - Incredible and inspiring coworkers
    - Room for growth
    - Great perks

Cons

- Occasional communication failures
    - Less than market pay (but, not crippling)

Advice to Management

Seek feedback from all employees and strive to get to know everybody well

"Lateral career move"

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

-fantastic people with great senses of humor. Aside from the SDR team, not the typical fratty tech environment
    -productive work environment
    -great benefits
    -lunch twice a week
    -people are very welcoming and there are a lot of fun events

Cons

-company is not doing as well as they say they are. no transparency. all hands meetings are inefficient and don't analyze real performance data
    -not a competitive product at all. even though tons of discounts are thrown around people still don't want to buy it and don't feel that it really adds value to their business.
    - it isn't clear what the marketing team actually does all day. doesn't do well with building the brand name
    -SDRs are praised and worshiped for setting inbound appointments which are essentially free money...no focus on outbound at all
    -terrible and very elementary sales training even though CEO has a sales background
    -No biz ops team
    -most companies don't see Guidebook as a reputable company.
    -high turnover
    -no transparency

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees, don't hide the numbers or fabricate them. Managers need to at least act like they care and will work to help their team succeed. Invest in your people. Build a better training program. Over 15 people laid off last year and you're still spending money on worthless trips.

Guidebook Response

Nov 14, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make Guidebook a great workplace and one of the ways we do that is hiring fantastic people. We are happy to hear that you were able to appreciate your former... More