Guidebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guidebook CEO and Co-founder Jeff Lewis
Jeff Lewis

1. Featured Review

"Awesome people, Evolving company"

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guidebook has undergone a lot of change in the past year and expected to undergo even more change this year. No one likes change but I think it's a good sign and an indicator that leadership is willing to make the tough decisions necessary to keep Guidebook innovating and growing. We have hands down, the best content management system out there. It's been a grueling past few months but I'm excited for all the changes that are coming over the next few months.

I love the people I work with. They are what keeps me coming into the office day in and day out. They inspire me to work hard, and I've never met a funnier, goofier, smarter group of people than at Guidebook. Everyone is incredibly welcoming and it's the type of workplace where employees actually hang out with one another. Whether it's a quick game of Rocket League, or taking ice skating lessons, playing magic, or grabbing a beer with one another at the bar across the street, we develop long lasting friendships here.

I've grown a lot as an individual and as a professional here, and it's because Guidebook has always given employees a great deal of responsibility and ownership. Despite the ups and downs Guidebook has had while I've been here, I'm happy to be working alongside such amazing people and to be afforded such opportunity.

Cons

There are growing pains and pains associated with changing/evolving organizations... these are not unique to Guidebook but can get stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Please continue to share information with us through All-Hands meetings & emails. I would love to hear more from Jeff and the executive team more frequently.

"A healthy place to work; amazing"

Current Employee - Director, Web Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Web Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous equity; strong traction and revenue; design and product focused; pragmatic approach to development; and a strong commitment to retaining and growing key employees.

Unlimited PTO policy; catered lunches and a fun, young and energetic staff.

Bright future with a ton of growth potential in current and new markets.

Cons

As of the time of this writing, still trying to nail down a balanced compensation plan for the Sales team.

Due to the fact that Guidebook is still very much a start-up w/ aims to achieve profitability, compensation can be lower than market average.

Advice to Management

Stay laser focused on the product and only build new features that will truly move the needle.

"Enjoy coming in every day"

Pros

Guidebook is a fantastic place to work at any point in your career. I'll start by echoing what a lot of people have already said: people. Everyone at Guidebook is down to earth, smart, friendly, and truly believe in the product. I believe everyone that gets hired at Guidebook, fits the culture; this creates an environment that you enjoy working in.

As for your career, whether you are a seasoned professional or just starting out, Guidebook will help you grow, whether it’s a specific skill or you want to venture out, you will be supported. The opportunities exist if you are willing to put in the effort.

Leadership at Guidebook fits into the "people" group I mentioned above. They are people I respect, learn from, and enjoy working with. I've worked many different companies and have never worked at a more transparent company. The leadership team strongly cares about creating an awesome product and holds their teams up to very high standards.

Cons

Budgets are smaller so I can’t do everything I want but that’s part of being a startup.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent about about goals and changes at the company. Keep hiring standards high.

"Great People and Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Guidebook for 2 years.

I enjoy working with about 2/3 of my colleagues. People are competent and have positive attitudes. As a result, I am happy on a day-to-day basis (super important to me!).

I've seen plenty of people who are deserving of promotions receive them. Management doesn't always do everything right (see below), but I do genuinely believe they care about professional development. The company tends to promote from within, which is motivating.

Guidebook is growing and demand for the product only seems to be increasing.

Cons

The company has outgrown its San Francisco office on 1 Zoe. It's crowded and there's a shortage of conference rooms, which occasionally impacts my ability to perform my job.

Pay and equity is good (it has improved since I joined), but not great. Obviously it's expensive to live in SF.

Company communication could be better (what we're working on and why)

Advice to Management

Find a new SF office
    Improve company communication so people know what we're working on and why
    Hold people/teams to deadlines. It seems like we almost always miss deadlines on big projects (and if we've communicated this deadline to a client, then it's puts salespeople/account managers in a tough position).

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tangible impact on building a lasting product
    - Incredible and inspiring coworkers
    - Room for growth
    - Great perks

Cons

- Occasional communication failures
    - Less than market pay (but, not crippling)

Advice to Management

Seek feedback from all employees and strive to get to know everybody well

"Lateral career move"

I worked at Guidebook full-time

Pros

-fantastic people with great senses of humor. Aside from the SDR team, not the typical fratty tech environment
    -productive work environment
    -great benefits
    -lunch twice a week
    -people are very welcoming and there are a lot of fun events

Cons

-company is not doing as well as they say they are. no transparency. all hands meetings are inefficient and don't analyze real performance data
    -not a competitive product at all. even though tons of discounts are thrown around people still don't want to buy it and don't feel that it really adds value to their business.
    - it isn't clear what the marketing team actually does all day. doesn't do well with building the brand name
    -SDRs are praised and worshiped for setting inbound appointments which are essentially free money...no focus on outbound at all
    -terrible and very elementary sales training even though CEO has a sales background
    -No biz ops team
    -most companies don't see Guidebook as a reputable company.
    -high turnover
    -no transparency

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees, don't hide the numbers or fabricate them. Managers need to at least act like they care and will work to help their team succeed. Invest in your people. Build a better training program. Over 15 people laid off last year and you're still spending money on worthless trips.

Guidebook Response

Nov 14, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make Guidebook a great workplace and one of the ways we do that is hiring fantastic people. We are happy to hear that you were able to appreciate your former ... More

"Great Career Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart motivated coworkers
    - Productive work environment
    - Gained experience and confidence
    - Fun culture and activities
    - Got raise after asking

Cons

- Salary below market rate
    - High employee turnover
    - Fear of being fired
    - Technical debt
    - Bit of a cultish mentality

Advice to Management

Invest in employee retention and eliminating technical debt and other work obstacles.

"Manipulative Management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like many people at Guidebook, this is my first job out of college. On a positive note, I have to say that the people we used to hire were of the highest caliber, and have been some of my closest friends from the start.

Cons

This has since changed, and I can’t say it’s a place I’m proud to be anymore.

Before I heard and saw some of the interworkings of the leadership team, I was happy and learning a lot from everyone here. Not only is it a hard fact that everyone at Guidebook is paid well below market rate, but your value as an employee is instantly diminished the second you disagree with upper management. I’ve seen emails to people who have left or gotten fired, threatening them to shut up and trying to scare them into not talking, but at the end of the day these threats aren’t even legal. This is beyond unprofessional.

The turnover rate is horrendous. There was a manipulative and obnoxious woman that was hired a year or so ago, but is now gone, which is karma because she seemed to actually get pleasure out of firing people.

The other reviewers who said to not believe all the fake 5 star reviews are exactly correct, since our leader accidentally posted a review with his name showing, and was told to delete it. When you really read what he says in them, it’s clear that this “reviewer” is selling you (no cons...really?). If this company isn’t hiding anything, then shouldn’t real employees be posting all those exciting reviews? Maybe they did years ago, but definitely not anymore.

The point of this message is not to scare you from applying here, since Guidebook is a great career stepping stone, but only that. I just want you to be warned that things are not always as they seem and the upper management does not care about anything except money. They use people as pawns, strong-arms them into doing what he wants and doesn’t even give chances to the loyal people here. It’s terrifying to watch all of this unfold, since I know everyone is thinking the same thing as me, “am I next?”

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews, since it is so clear they are disingenuous and you're trying to sell people. When someone leaves - TELL US. When something happens - communicate!

"Great Company, Awesome people and Good experience!"

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Guidebook have been rewarding and very important to my career. I’m about to complete my first year in the company and my learning has been great due the chance to interact with so many different people from around the world. I was surprised with the patience of everyone to help me to learn our process and culture. The company is constantly growing and i'm glad to be a part of this.

Cons

Sometimes, I realize that there’s a small lack of communication between the teams, but nothing that would affect the work.

"Smart people and great environment"

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Guidebook is amazing! The company is still young and learning but it is growing very fast! So it is awesome to be part of that process. People seem to really care about their work at all levels. There is so much ambition, talent, and brains in the company. I work for a less structured team so there is a lot of ideas and collaboration. There’s also transparency in what the goals for the company are, and what decisions are being taken to reach those goals.

Cons

I tried to write a response to this, but I haven't really encountered any as of yet! Sometimes the stresses can feel more overwhelming, but it is a thing that you could face in any job.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on improving these important parts of culture - opportunities for learning and growth, flexibility to move around the company.