GutCheck Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 27 Sep 2019

3.8
GutCheck CEO Matt Warta
Matt Warta
  1. "Dynamic company headed in a good direction"

I have been working at GutCheck full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Great coworkers - people care about giving it their all, they're kind, and have a sense of humor *Room to grow in all directions - being a fairly small company means that if you're interested, it's easy to get exposure to other parts of the organization and build an understanding of what other teams do. Cross-functional promotions are not uncommon. *Ongoing attention to keep benefits competitive (especially with... major ones - medical, PTO, parental leave) *Overall, GutCheck is headed in a good direction - there is a lot that's been coming together in a really positive way over 2019

Cons

*Not really a con, but... like all companies, your manager has a huge impact on your experience, for better or worse. *Sometimes things feel like they're moving really fast, and sometimes things feel like they're moving really slowly. It helps to have a high tolerance for that variability.

GutCheck2019-09-28

"Fast paced company, amazing people!"

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at GutCheck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with some of the best and brightest people. Hiring really matters to GutCheck both from a skill set and cultural perspective. Because everything is so fast-paced, you build strong connections and friendships with your co-workers as you lean in to get things done. You'll have a lot of growth in your career because there is so much opportunity to try new things - there is never a dull moment!

Cons

If you're not comfortable in a rapid, agile environment, this isn't the place for you. There are a lot of benefits to that, but they're moving quickly and constantly iterating to learn and get better. They're also in a time of change as they continue to evolve their product and align people and skill sets to that change. Again, not a negative, but definitely something to be aware of.

GutCheck2019-08-28

"It's not change that is the problem, it's management"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO

I worked at GutCheck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some free snacks in the office, the holiday party is quite fun, the staff is young and dynamic. The office is downtown too, making the commute ideal for those who live in the city. It can be a good way to get some entry level experience on market research and client communications.

Cons

The management is not supportive and has created an environment where career growth is non-existent, staff are overworked, and there is a sense that the different departments are completely different companies. The sales, engineering, and research teams have all turned over almost entirely. I would be wary of working at GutCheck if you value your work/life balance or want to have a job where there is not clear... communication from management. It's not change that's the problem, it's a lack of support from management (especially mid-level) and a lack of a clear goal for the company. Our software is glitchy and not up to par with current competitive offerings, making sales a constant uphill battle.

Advice to Management

Like others have said, centralize leadership in Denver, focus on current employee retention, focus less on attempting to drive culture and instead focus on making changes and listening to your employees. Provide clear career plans.

GutCheck2019-08-26

"Not Perfect but a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO

I have been working at GutCheck full-time for less than a year

Pros

GutCheck is simply a great place to work. Work is interesting, people are nice and dedicated and quality of life is good. I've worked at a number of different companies and while GutCheck isn't perfect (and is going through a transition period), it would be very difficult to find a better combination of work, people and quality of life.

Cons

The company can focus too much on making everyone happy/getting everyone's feedback, which can lead to impossible situations, paralysis and bad feelings (which seems reflected in some recent reviews). GutCheck needs to do better setting employee expectations (you don't always get your way) and focusing on the positives.

Advice to Management

Focus on the positives and setting realistic expectations. Don't make reactionary changes that could affect happy, existing employees based on feedback from a small, vocal group of employees.

GutCheck2019-07-01

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at GutCheck full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and culture. Growing company with a lot of opportunity for growth and learning. Management is super supportive. A lot of fun!

Cons

The company is growing and changing as it does, which is a good thing! If you don't like change or being part of finding new solutions, might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

GutCheck2019-05-30

"Seems Promising, Lacks Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at GutCheck full-time

Pros

- Peer-to-Peer culture is good - Office is centrally located

Cons

- Mid-Level management is disjointed and lackluster. - Truly a revolving door (massive turnover) - especially in the Salesforce - Do your due-diligence prior to accepting an offer, but as of now this is not an organization that would be recommendable.

Advice to Management

- Centralize all leaders of the company to be in Denver office. - Stop spending so much time talking about how to fix culture - and instead get to action - Focus on employee retention & on-boarding processes

GutCheck2019-06-08

"Trust Facts, Not Your Gut"

I have been working at GutCheck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Social group Good friends Freedom to come and go Nice CEO Caring HR Smart Research leaders

Cons

The reviews that say sinking ship or run away are what you should really pay attention to on Glassdoor. I've been here some time now and it's time to speak up. Potential new employee's deserve better. On the surface, the people are fantastic. The CEO is a genuinely nice person and HR has been consistently fantastic over the years. But what I have also witnessed over the years, is a consistent exodus of the best... talent either due to them finding better opportunities or due to them pointing out the incompetence of leadership. Years back there was a genuine sense of joy in our Briefing & Brews Meetings and now it feels similar to the stereotypical bad marriage in which the parents go through the motions for the sake of the children. This is a loveless & directionless place at it's core. I believe our CEO means well, but he surrounded himself by people who pull the wool over his eyes particularly in the Sales and Product department. There's no real sales enablement and it's needed because our software is not on par with the competition and is not well designed. The Product Directors that should lead our evolution, have lost nearly the entire engineering and product team within a year and it hurts. Marketing Department is a joke and overstaffed. They should all be let go and the work outsourced. This sinking ship stays afloat for three reason, great Research leadership, we outsource much of our work to a team in India and 2 big accounts/an offering (Nestle, Google and Constellation Projects). This keep the business afloat until companies wake up and realize there's better more secure companies out there. Do not drink the Kool-Aid. Do not come here unless you are fresh out of college. GutCheck is lost. (HR don't bother responding. I may give my feedback at my exit interview when a new job offer comes in. A day that can't come soon enough.)

Advice to Management

Outsource Marketing Outsource Lead Gen Replace the leaders of Product immediately Staff Product appropriately Research managers need stronger Researchers under them More CS members to pair with Sales

GutCheck2019-06-20

"Great place to learn, grow, and develop"

Current Employee - Research Ops in Denver, CO

I have been working at GutCheck full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture at GutCheck is amazing and the company truly lives and breathes its values. The company is always focused on learning and getting better, including personal and professional growth of the employees, along with innovating and staying ahead of the rest of the industry. The management truly cares about the people in the company both personally and professionally and managers always make time to coach and... mentor you. I also think it's great that my managers stay true to what they say. My colleagues are great and always willing to collaborate and tackle problems together. Overall, a really great place to work!

Cons

Lots of changes and fast pace, which is really exciting and can create lots of opportunity for the right type of person. I love it, personally, but may not be for someone who is looking for a slower, more predictable day-to-day.

Advice to Management

-Continue supporting and promoting a growth mentality -Keep focusing on the strategy and aligning everyone cross-functionally to the same goals

GutCheck2019-03-13

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at GutCheck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Parking Downtown, Bagels on Wednesday

Cons

GC is a research company masquerading as a tech company. 8 years ago we were one of the first online research companies and had an innovative product offering. In today’s world there’s a dozen other online research companies offering more competitive products and pricing, a loyal but customer base has kept GC afloat but a shrinking marketplace and strong competition has stripped away any advantage we once enjoyed.... Growth is anemic and it’s clear that the company is facing internal financial issues, comp plans change frequently and tenured employees regularly“resign” out of the blue. Compensation is definitely on the lower end The Sales department has become a revolving door, reps are unhappy and very few actually make target. Over 30 employees were terminated or resigned in the last year...concerning as this company has never had more than 150 employees. Management continues to label it growing pains and continues to feed the propaganda machine. GC was a great place to work in years past but the best days are behind it.

Advice to Management

Put the koolaid down and face reality. Hire consultants to help define product vision and positioning

GutCheck2019-03-01

"Growing company with great people, unique product and tons of career opportunities"

I have been working at GutCheck full-time

Pros

GutCheck was founded on the GASI principles (Give a Sh*t Index) and all employees really do give it their all when working here. I have never seen so much positive cross-functional working relationships at one company. There are great career development opportunities and you can tell that the leaders are committed to promoting from within and advocating for their employees.

Cons

As with any growing company, there is sometimes tension between where we are today and where we want to be in the future. We have a fantastic product team that is committed to developing awesome products that will change the market research industry, but we still want to continue to deliver what our clients are asking for today, even if it doesn't always align with our vision.

Advice to Management

Continue to clearly communicate around our vision and keep people motivated on the path to achieving that vision

GutCheck2018-10-09