HID Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Stefan Widing

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good and company bonus once a year (in 7 reviews)

• Pay is good, work life balance is good, Holidays off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management does not hold appropriate parties accountable (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is not something important at this place (in 4 reviews)

"HID is great for opportunities."

I have been working at HID full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits. Great community of employees.

Cons

A person achievements and abilities are sometimes overlooked.

"Culture - Lack of Customer on Customer"

I have been working at HID full-time

Pros

- Generally the employees care and are focused on the customer.
    - Past culture of being customer driven resides in the long time employees

Cons

- Shift to internal reporting and focus on the numbers and only contributing to ASSA ABLOY
    - No interest or desire to be customer focused
    - Immature leadership with primarily male, white and connection to Stockholm provided advancement
    - Extremely political

Advice to Management

- Focus on customer and recognize talent based on skill not political connections

"Toxic Environment with Zero Accountability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HID full-time

Pros

Great Restrooms
    Nice Office
    LEED Certified Building

Cons

Upper Management does not hold appropriate parties accountable.
    No one really talks to each other, probably because all of the massive turnover and people being new.
    The company isn't really creating or innovating--just acquiring smaller companies.
    No one feels happy to work here, they are just here because they have to be.
    Constantly overhear toxic and negative talk in regards to race, sexual orientation, gender--It's a very hetero-normative, anglo, male environment. Diversity is not really embraced.
    I overhear people getting yelled at a lot by their bosses. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder in fear that I am going to get yelled at as well, even though I am a high performer.
    Culture and Values at this company are a joke. No one is living them or embracing them. This place feels toxic and not inspiring.
    I dread coming to work.

Advice to Management

Everyone seems really stressed out and that they don't get a long. There is a lot of negativity throughout the work spaces. Hold the appropriate employees accountable when issues arise.

HID Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Corporate Communications Manager

At HID Global, we value diversity. HID Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran. We encourage you to report any concerns regarding discrimination to your manager... More

"Finance"

I worked at HID full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits: lower insurance, pay bonus.

Cons

Can't think of any

Advice to Management

None. Good management

"Don't do it. Toxic."

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at HID full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Building is nice.
    Bathrooms are mostly clean.
    Employees actually doing the real work mean well and are good to work with (if they are not let go and given a chance to be there).
    Cool printers.

Cons

HID's current technology leadership is probably the worse I have experienced. SR leadership or the C-suite allows behavior that I professionally can not believe. It's not about being qualified or doing your best at HID, but about being a "favorite". Smile at the right people (continuously) and never professionally or otherwise challenge the boss (unless you are a man) then you'll make it there for a bit maybe. Be prepared to be on pins and needles during your time there. There is no such thing as communication, coaching, or the typical teamwork most may want to see or work in.... and an actual "team" environment with sufficient resources- forget about it!!

Overall a toxic culture, value system, and SR leadership team.

Advice to Management

HID needs a re-do with its SR leadership team and a value system overhaul. It's like high school at the corporate office.

But thank you HID for showing me what good leadership is NOT.

"An Astoundingly Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at HID full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As others have said, the work is really interesting. The printers are fantastic machines and the science behind them is pretty fascinating.

Cons

There is a seriously toxic culture at HID Global in Eden Prairie. Do not mince my words here, it's very, very sick. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place for your own health and safety!

The senior management at Eden Prairie must simply not believe in teamwork, since it isn't something that they seem capable of doing. For starters, these are people who seem firmly to believe that, since they are managers, they are absolved from being reasonable or polite. Yet, these same people struggle to understand why it's so difficult for them to get things accomplished.

The "innovation" that gets rammed down the chain comes from a single, dangerously incompetent source. Unfortunately for everyone in the organization, this source is also extremely charming and manipulative, and the functional managers have modeled themselves in the same image.

As such, you had better keep your guard up 24/7, or else someone will pull your card out for some random, unnecessary reason. This is not working on a team with leaders, it is working with a group of trauma victims led by schoolyard bullies.

Project planning is a painfully new experience for the team in Eden Prairie, which should be shocking to a professional in any capacity. A plan would be a shocking omission for any backyard project, let alone for a supposedly high-tech engineering firm’s project. That this is a struggle for the management team should speak volumes to any potential applicant.

Frequently there are fundamental disconnects from reality and what management expects in terms of outcomes (if we don’t plan anything, it’s all innovation, no? /s). When presented with documented, contrary evidence, management resorts to shame, guilt, fear, and eventually rage until they get their way. If they don’t get their way, however unreasonable the request, you will be wearing the scarlet letter.

Should you choose to bring any of this to HR, you can expect it to be your fault.
     Be prepared to be further shamed into compliance with tidbits like, "X needs to understand that some questions don't have answers." on your professional reviews. It's pretty scary how sick this culture is.

Unless you've got professional training on de-escalation and on how to deal with malignant personality types, I would urge you to steer clear of HID in Eden Prairie.

Sure, the science is definitely interesting and that’s certainly exciting, but will you be on edge because of that excitement or will it be because you are in a constant state of Fight-or-Flight because you must constantly fend off narcissistic attacks from the substantially unhinged people you work with?

Advice to Management

I am going to preface by saying that this is not an attempt to put in a cheap parting shot. I am legitimately concerned for the health and welfare of the people in the Eden Prairie Engineering group. Recovery from abuse is no joke!

Quit. Seriously, get out and take some time for yourselves.

If you are in such a state of denial about the snow job that your "Innovation Leadership" in Eden Prairie is giving you, you really need to seek some professional help.

Again, I'm not offering this as a last jab at the company or anyone there personally. I really am concerned for you all.

Unless the Corporate Overlords are willing to finish the job they started in terms of management changes, I have a difficult time understanding how this part of their business will last for another 5 years, particularly if their aim is to drive innovation.

"Lots of potential, but stuck in old ways"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HID (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's lots of potential here and slowly they're making some changes, but overall, the organization has a lot of work to do. Recently some really good talent has been hired and some interesting acquisitions have been made, hopefully that will start to drive new life into the currently stale and dated culture. The work is interesting and the facility is very nice. Benefits and pay are good.

Cons

Management seems to have a hard time making difficult decisions. Rather than fixing employee behavior through training and making sure everyone understands what is expected of their role, troubled or poor performing employees are promoted or moved to different teams. This indecision has hurt culture and will hinder the chances of hiring good talent in the future. Strong performers are given more work and weak performers are not held accountable.

Advice to Management

Stop with the "Peter Principle", you have some great talent, utilize it. Just because a person has been with the company a long time does not mean they're qualified for the direction the company wants to move. Either address poor performers and fix it or let them go. Its hurting morale and the little culture that exists. If you are truly looking to change course, relax your work from home policies and dress code, today's workforce wants flexibility and to work with industry leaders, not people that are stuck in the past. And most importantly, communicate with your employees. As the company grows, you need to make sure that the teams know the plan and the progress.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Westminster, CO

I worked at HID full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good, work life balance is good, Holidays off. The benefits are Health, Dental and vision and a 401K with matching and education. The work was interesting and promotions are possible if you apply yourself.

Cons

Not to much I can say about the cons because I thought HID was a great place to work. The only exception was a constant threat of corporate closing the doors and laying everyone off to minimize their profit loss margins.

Advice to Management

HID had a great management team, always creating a good work environment, easy to get along with and very intelligent people heading in a clearly defined direction.

"Not terrible, not great"

I worked at HID full-time

Pros

Nice new building, some nice people

Cons

Management, HR is a disaster, against work from home

"Toxic, Toxic, Toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at HID full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with really interesting science and several good people (who are likely not on your team).

You will learn every single bad management tactic known to mankind, so that you might avoid them in your future endeavors.

Learning about how not to behave in public, with almost daily demonstrations by management.

Cons

Abusive, insecure middle-management, with over-inflated titles and the egos to match.

"Old Boy's Club" attitudes everywhere, especially from management.

Management doesn't plan their projects, but will expect you to foot the blame when the projects don't go the way management thinks they should have.

Expect lots of negative reinforcement, thinly-veiled public censure, and blind authoritarianism from your supervisor. HR is complicit in this, so don't expect any help there.

Advice to Management

Let go of the bizarre ways of the past and drink the Assa Abloy Kool-Ade. This kind probably won't kill you, and will probably help when the growing pains are tough. The vast majority of your workers are not happy with your childish antics. Grow up and get a grip on yourselves.