HIMSS Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
H. Stephen Lieber

1. "Professional and career growth if you adapt"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HIMSS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Evolving as a business through diversification of products and services to health and technology market
    Audience, digital and data first approach to new product development in media division
    Great coworkers
    If you embrace change and are adaptable, plentiful opportunity to grow professionally

Cons

Not everyone has embraced the changes, new opportunities and structure, which slows down growth and advancement.

Advice to Management

Continue to pivot and expand the data and information services sides of the business. That's the future.

"Sloppy managment, bloated infrastructure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

salary & benefits. Co-workers are intelligent and committed to their work.

Cons

The culture is suffocating and limiting. Alcoholism is accepted and promoted at almost every off-site event. Misogyny is rampant and on display at group functions that involve alcohol. Reminder to management: It's not o.k. to make racist comments while black female employees are at the dinner table. (and BTW, I'm white.) Senior management is ill-equipped to lead. Great ideas get crushed by poor planning and poor deployment.

Advice to Management

You are suffocating under the weight of your bloated organization. Start looking at alcoholism as a disease and treat it.

3. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HIMSS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment - work from home full-time. After working there for 10 years 5 weeks of vacation.

Cons

No room for growth. Most departments are either top heavy so you can't go from assistant to Manager easily or if you are a Manager it's extremely difficult to become a Director.

Advice to Management

Look at department structures and push for more varied job roles. Talk to the team not just the supervisor.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you come from the corporate world, its easy to make a name for yourself as most employees are from the association world which is naturally less competitive and complacent. Your colleagues will most likely be awesome.

Cons

Extremely clicky, almost like high school. There are the originals who think they are better than everyone because they have been around since it was a small hospital association. There are the media folks who have a chip on their shoulder and think they know it all (this dept actually was created when HIMSS CEO bought a failing digital media company focused on healthcare - Medtech Media) even though until recently have drained more money than they have put back in and have a history unscrupulous business practices. HIMSS Analytics is like the red-headed step child which actually makes money but (until recent downsizing - finally!) had a call center of 30 entry level FTE's, 3 managers and a director all for the sake of collecting hospital information. The problem was most of the callers lacked basic experience in an office environment and were incapable or unwilling to do their jobs and do them well. about a 3rd of this workforce (with quality staff) could accomplish the same load of work with higher accuracy significantly reducing the divisions overhead. Luckily, the EVP of this team knows what he's doing and has taken such steps among many other improvements ( i guess this piece belongs under the pro's?). Lastly there are the outcasts such as mHealth and Hx360 purchased and created by HIMSS but have yet to find their calling and no longer being "the others" of the organization. Executive Management works together about as well as a group of prepubescent children on a book report.

Advice to Management

If you haven't noticed yet, many of your best and brightest workers have jumped ship and the ones left are either at their whits end or still believe they can change this place for the better. I hope they are right. But you need to clean house of all of the people who have found their niche and do just enough not to get noticed and represent the old culture of HIMSS or you are but a few years from selling off each for profit division and going back to a small association (which would work out as great retirement plans for you....)

5. "HIMSS - Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Oak Park, IL

I worked at HIMSS (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare industry big picture, good benefits

Cons

Very regimented, group think, lack of room for individual initiative

6. "Amazing Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at HIMSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had full benefits, Pet insurance, a PPO, 401K, AND I got to work from home if I wanted to. They treat their employees better than any company I have ever worked for or considered working for.

Cons

Honestly cannot think of any cons.

"Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good benefits, decent people, good health insurance, close to downtown

Cons

Management not great, no processes, no communication

Advice to Management

Better people at the top

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at HIMSS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Many opportunities to travel on the job if you are on the right job. Very collaborative teams/departments within the company. Many opportunities to gain experience/skills as a young professional.

Cons

Challenging onboarding and training process. Staff resources are minimal / expectations high. Unplanned mission critical projects are often thrown on your plate to accomplish with no additional support. Poor middle managment. Company does not promote individuals in thier current role. You must request to have your job description rewritten and graded by an outside agency (which is not easy to do) or jump to another position in the company. Specific career path is not clear for individuals.

"Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Easy duties for the pay
    -The hours are really flexible
    -The location is pretty convenient as it is near Michigan Avenue

Cons

-Unprofessional at times
    -Management feels the need to call people out sometimes
    -People often take personal calls throughout the day

Advice to Management

-Management needs to improve basic people skills
    -A lot of members of the organization lack technology skills and are completely inefficient

10. "Great Company to Work"

I have been working at HIMSS full-time

Pros

I have been employed at HIMSS for a little under two years. The culture here is absolute wonderful, there's tremendous diversity, no dictatorship nor militaristic management. It's a business casual atmosphere, which adds to the laid back nature of the of the office. It's a comfortable feeling to come in every day and not having to deal with over authoritative, over zealous management or employees who really just don't get what the job is about. I feel that I'm looked upon by the company as a person, not as a number or as someone that produces. Every member of management, from the CEO down to MRS's know each other by name and it's a good feeling to have the CEO, CFO or VP of HR speak to you, by your name. The training here for your position is great, all tools were provided for me to effectively and productively do my job. The manager I have has an open door policy and whenever I have an issue, question or concern, I can always go to her and know that when I leave, my issue is resolved. My manager is a great mentor, teacher, motivator and gives me the proper guidance and enough independence to let me do my job, without the micromanaging. I honestly have never had a a manager like what I have currently, which is part of the reason I have such a positive experience here. The other is just the environment, people, ethics, candor and overall day to day of HIMSS, great place to work, would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Located on the far east side of the Loop, takes me a bit to get to work but well worth it.