Hanmi Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Hanmi Financial President, CEO, and Director Jay S. Yoo
Jay S. Yoo

1. "Full-Time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

-Respectable people
    -Great culture
    -Learn quickly
    -Many locations to work at
    -Thorough training

Cons

-Upward mobility based on time there

Advice to Management

Reward hard work and performance

2. "Credit Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hanmi Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get the whole experience of handling the entire process of C&I and CRE lending process

Cons

People get promoted based on number of years worked rather than performance based. Also, many people don't know how to work "as a team," instead it is all about how I can look superior than others. Furthermore, benefits seem to be getting worse and worse every year.

"Don't."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hanmi Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a paid job and vacation days. Some employees are still committed to making this place work. No further pros.

Cons

Royally lacking any values, organization, equality, work-life balance, standards, real HR, work perks, happiness, or care for even employees' mental wellness, applies negative reinforcements

Advice to Management

Invest, show return in your workforce. While Chiefs and Managers are demanding production, micromanaging and hiring staff who lack experience, are provided newer phones and faster computers, comfortable workspaces, provided better tools upon request, the working employees are denied any of these useful tools, yet pressured to produce more work in fraction of time, short staffed, SOME forced to wear multiple hats, constantly challenged by unequal treatment between genders, age, and race, but afraid to voice opinions because of job stability -- Management is the police and don't ask don't tell is rule of thumb here.

5. "Getting Better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Helping community banking through lending and banking locally with small business mindset to achieve their goals through financing to help grow and expand their businesses.

Cons

Need more support for employees to help do their job and create healthy team work environment versus going it alone with cold shoulder attitude and less team work making it difficult to get done.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with lower level employee to help them achieve goal and aspiration within company to much focus on cost cutting and conservative views stifle positive growth

6. "Loan Officer Assistant"

Former Employee - Loan Officer Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Nothing positive about the work environment.

Cons

The Fashion District branch is absolutely pathetic. Those women have nothing better to do but gossip and be manipulative, it honestly felt like I was in high school all over again. As an assistant, I basically did everything the branch manager ordered, including personal problems and dragging me to meet clients (usually older in age who asks HOW MUCH I COST - true story. Lady, I ain't an object.). Communication is pretty much non-existent in this company. Getting in touch with the HR department is impossible. Basically, they pick you up from somewhere and drop you off in hell. Bravo.

Advice to Management

Communication. Is. Everything. But it is kind of impossible when almost half of the company can barely speak intermediate English. Make sure the cultural barrier and boundaries are set - I did not appreciate being touched and slapped and screamed as if I was in Asia. When you hire someone with the intent of training them, make sure you go through the proper measures to ACTUALLY train them with the GENUINE intention of.

7. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Banking Market Research Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Banking Market Research Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hanmi Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was good experience.
    Good benefits, friendly coworkers,
    Comfortable environment.

Cons

I think lower than other bank. And difficult to promote.

8. "Ok Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dolton, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dolton, IL

I worked at Hanmi Financial (More than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to advance with training and encouragement

Cons

Downsizing soon after a merger

"More cons than Pros. Typical Korean business, long hours no pay."

Former Employee - Loan Officer Trainee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer Trainee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Work environment felt like a family, well at least in my department. I've been to other departments where no one talks, they look bored, they look like they hate life there, but luckily that wasn't the case for me. Lots of happy hour. Co-workers turned friends. Benefits of bank great, pay 100% of medical.

Cons

The upper management really does not do their job. They do not inform us of any of the changes that are happening until it's too late and everyone in the department decides to quit to go to their competitors, then that's when they'll step in. CEO at the time was CGKum. He's very unfriendly and unapproachable. Long hours with little pay. Lucky for me, i was a trainee so I got overtime, but once you become a Loan Officer, you're salary based and work long hours with no pay. Starting salary 30k.

Advice to Management

STEP UP. Keep your employees informed and happy.

10. "Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

If you are genuinely interested in learning about loans and underwriting, the loan officer program is a great way to begin your career. During this course you will work with a variety of business owners and personalities, internally in which you would otherwise not be given in other major banks such as BOA, Wells Fargo, etc. (an advantage of being a small, shorthanded company)

Cons

Expect overtime, low-wage, instability in management, and a stiff hierarchy system.

Advice to Management

Re-strategy the compensation for core departments, retain talent by rewarding them with what they need not shying from paying top notch talent. Push for more ways to retain talent, reduce high turnover rate, provide better training programs and social events to make things less dry.

11. "Loan Servicing Specialist."

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Crown Point, IN
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Crown Point, IN

I worked at Hanmi Financial (More than 8 years)

Pros

They were helpful with termination.

Cons

Most jobs are out of state