Hi-Line Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Sheaffer

1. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to be my own boss. The earning potential is outstanding. I have a protected territory and a lead generation department second to none!!

Cons

Long hours in the beginning to grow my business, but I didn't see that as a con. I saw it as an investment in my future success. Can't start this job at 9 am and stop for the day at 3 pm with an hour and a half for lunch and expect to be successful.

Feb 24, 2017

This is Jack. Thank you for the 5-Star review! If you need anything while growing your territory, please do not hesitate to ask. May your future at Hi-Line be filled with happiness and success.

2. "Full-Time Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Tuttle, OK
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Tuttle, OK

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a Hi-Line territory manager is one of the best decisions I've ever made. They have been crystal clear on communicating to me what the job is about, how to succeed, and give you endless support to help you. I have been a territory manager for 1 year and 4 months and am succeeding more than I thought I would at this point. The training, the help and support, the communication, and the people are all incredible. There have been tough times within my time here but they say going into it that you're first two years are the toughest.
    This is a job where you control your own schedule and do what you want, but, you also have a massive responsibility to manage your customers, time, and expenses. You have to put your nose to the grind-stone and work hard. Your customers become friends and are some really good people. Building relationships is key.
    So far, my time here has been a huge blessing and would recommend working here to anyone who knows how to work hard and is self-driven to succeed.

Cons

The technology of the company could be improved. They are a little bit behind the times with that but are also currently working to upgrade things.
    If you don't sell, you don't get paid. This is only a con if you're lazy and think you can make money sitting on your couch.
    The expenses of the truck you have to invest in can add up, but, that should drive you to work harder and make more money.

Advice to Management

Relay to rookies how close they are to bonus objectives and keep them in the loop. Send TM's some promo items to give away on occasion. The expenses can add for a rookie who wants to give things away.

3. "Many Hats TM, Divisional Mgr, Training Mgr. and more!"

Current Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi-Line has kept me growing! I have had a very long career and have filled many positions. All have been challenging and rewarding. Hi-Line is not a job but a career, have an open mind, be willing to put skin in the game, dedicate your efforts to building your business and it works. People that commit to growing and Hi-line fundamentals with honesty and integrity can expect a full rewarding career! I have had one.

Cons

If you are not a self starter it wont work! Humans work here, mistakes get made! Learn from them and move on. Don't mistake Passion for something it is not. your first year may be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, constant improvement. Hi-Line is always looking for better ways. Hi-line encourages effort and growth which is rewarded with bonuses. I love this company and have many friends here.

5. "Focused on People and Constant Improvment"

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi-Line is focused on the people who make up the company. Many team members have been around for decades. Lots of very nice quality-minded people work here.
    Hi-Line sets the industry standard to vendor-managed inventory services. I have enjoyed over 13 years of success with Hi-Line.

Cons

Hi-Line's sales positions are rewarding and challenging. People who are not assertive and not willing to get out of their comfort zone are not a good fit. To work in this position, a person buys a specialized vehicle, a "mobile store". While not a unique concept, it is unusual. The rewards for success are really good, but it can take a couple of years of hard work to get there.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on long-term growth and expansion. Stay positive and upbeat. Hi-Line's customer service really shines among its many "self-service" competitors.

Feb 24, 2017

This is Jack. The longevity of employees at Hi-Line is not only outstanding, it is truly unbelievable to work at a company with so much tenure of rock stars. Each person plays a specific role for ... More

6. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coming from 30 years of industry experience, I can tell you that if you want to sell this merchandise and make money, this is the only place to be. Before I started, I couldn't imagine using a mobile store to service my customers, now, after 7 years I cant imagine selling without it.

Cons

Despite our best attempts to describe the start-up costs in terms of time, effort and resources, some people decide this isn't for them after they make an investment in their store. Coming in on a wing and a prayer is not the best way to launch your business.

Advice to Management

I am a Territory Manager turned District Manager. Senior Management is always looking to promote from within, and with all of the exciting new programs, there is the evidence that Hi-Line is committed to constant improvement.

Feb 24, 2017

This is Jack. I would like to say thank you for the positive review and kind words. Hi-Line is totally committed to promoting from within and it sounds like another great District Manager is on the ... More

7. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The freedom to create and work your own schedule. Uncapped earning potential, you work as hard as what you want to make. Supportive home office personnel, customer service, accounting and marketing departments. Meet new people and network through different companies and customers.

Cons

The first year consists of a lot of learning, trial and error and patience. If you don't have the will power and motivation to work hard, this would be a difficult position. After the first year the position pays only commissions.

Advice to Management

Help your TM's find the best businesses to prospect near their homes and work outward from there. Help TM's expand their customer base by giving fresh ideas and researching their territory.

Feb 24, 2017

This is Jack. Thank you for the great review. The Territory Manager role is one that requires lots of support and training from the home offices and I am excited to hear each department is ... More

"Expensive to operate, but get to be your own boss."

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your own boss, set your own schedule, great training and support.

Cons

Some of the territories are really beat up, and are tired of the Hi-Line turnover.
    You have to purchase a truck, pay for weighted tags, insurance, etc.

Advice to Management

Offer a better salary for a longer period of time. You'll have less turnover, and save tons on training and lost customers.

Feb 4, 2017

This is Jack. I would like to thank you personally for taking your time to write this positive review. We are taking your feedback seriously and will look further into how Hi-Line can become better ... More

"Built on lies"

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time

Pros

Great money can be made

Cons

High cost to operate, sign contract that is to protect company and hurts you. They can make you change the contract at any point and will. Territory is not protected at all. Neither are the customer. Be careful what they tell you and remember they are looking out for them selves.

Feb 4, 2017

This is Jack. You are correct when you said, "great money can be made". Hi-Line's Territory Manager position provides uncapped commissions along with fantastic bonus programs. The sky is truly the ... More

"Hi-Line"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line (Less than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commissions, strong support system

Cons

You have to purchase one of their pre-equipped commercial cargo vans that costs $45,000 to $50,000. They only offer a very small annual, decreasing salary.

Advice to Management

Don't force a financial burden on newly hired territory managers. offer a better continuing salary. Don't use intimidation tactics when training.

Feb 4, 2017

This is Jack. Hi-Line's Territory Manager position is similar to a franchise in the likes that one must invest in the Mobile Store. This unique opportunity provides the possibility of being uber ... More

"Deceptive"

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i got to see Dallas!

Cons

Pushing product or deceiving customers is their way to sell. Trying to hide the cost of the product or that you added in the extra cable ties. It's shady how you are indirectly taught in how to push the product. 10 TM's in under 2 years in the Dayton area. Avoid this company at all cost! And I do mean cost! Lastly, their comments at the end are similar. Ethical company, blah blah. However, it seems to me that all the comments made here are similar.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who has morals.

Feb 17, 2017

This is Jack. Hi-Line provides a superior level of service to our customers by managing their inventory that is far and above all of our competitors. We train our Territory Managers to create a ... More