Hi-Line Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2021

3.4
Hi-Line President Mike Sheaffer (no image)
Mike Sheaffer
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best pay structure and opportunity for growth for those who actually work.

Apr 12, 2021 - Territory Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Generous bonuses that are attainable. -Freedom to set my hours and time off -Truly uncapped earnings. They are even known to ask you "How can we help you make more money faster?" -Excellent product line with multiple points of access for product knowledge. -Protected territory. If it is your customer then no one comes in and takes it away. Period. -Knowledgeable, friendly, and super helpful home office staff. I call all the time with questions and problems. They answer them all and solve my troubles. They put up with me and are still be smiling when I call the next time. I had very little outside sales experience when I took this job. My predecessor worked it for 1-1/2yrs and did nothing but complain. I doubled the territory sales in my first month because I went to work. My predecessor failed thru no fault of Hi-Line. They failed because they did not want to work. I have a family with two active kids. I never miss a game or event. I have time with my spouse and time to do my hobbies. I am home every night and off on the weekends. I tell you this not to brag but to show you it is attainable. It is not because I got lucky, or got an easier territory.

Cons

This is a job for people who want to work. If you want to sit at home and expect people call you and just hand you sales, then look somewhere else. I have seen a lot of Territory Mangers complain and can't make it, but that is thru no fault of Hi-Line. You will not find ANYPLACE where you can get more support from your Div. Manager or the home office. Your manager even comes and rides with you if you need the help. Not just once, but several times each year if you need them. If you don't, then they let you do your thing.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

This Company Does Not Have Your Back

Apr 19, 2021 - Territory Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, ability to earn unlimited income. Monthly bonuses first year of operation based on new accounts.

Cons

There are many things that this company is not upfront about when you are hired. If the idea of paying to work for someone else, sounds like a great idea, then by all means, work for Hi-Line. It was clear from the start that I would have to invest in a Mobile store, pay for the insurance and be reimbursed for mileage the first year. You receive a base salary for the first year, that decreases each month to zero. Going into the position, I was offered one vehicle and then after the deal was signed, that vehicle mysteriously disappeared and I was forced to buy a different, newer model that was substantially more in cost. Hi-Line partners exclusively with a Leasing Company to manage their vehicles, so you can make your own assumptions. When I told them I wanted to buy the vehicle, not lease, it was not well-received and they held up the process for weeks. The second thing is that I was to begin a brand new territory in my city which was being split between myself and another Territory Manager who had been in the game for 14 years. What Hi-Line didn't tell me was that 30% of my territory was already being serviced by the other territory manager and that it would stay that way. These were the BIG accounts in my area and I could not touch them until he left or retired. So, most of my new business was in the surrounding counties, which turned out to be a good thing. In my first three months, I was quite successful and ranked in the top 3 of new sales managers nationwide, for opening new accounts. Then COVID hit and everything shut down. Although this was not Hi-Line's fault, keep in mind that your salary goes down each month for the first year, with the idea that your commission sales go up. When COVID hit, I received no communication from the company, no procedures to use, nothing for one month. Only a sign to display on my van stating that I was an essential employee. Most businesses wouldn't let me onsite, period. One month later, I received in the mail from Hi-Line, one disposable mask and a 2 oz. bottle of hand-sanitizer with their well-wishes. That was it! Hi-Line has a practice of sending managers down to ride-along with you for training. That is a great idea, except during the year of COVID and you are riding around in a van with someone all day that you don't know. A manager rode with me on a Wednesday and on the following Monday, I was advised that he tested positive. From this incident, my wife and myself both came down with COVID and missed two to weeks of work (keep in mind you are earning nothing-there is no sick leave or PTO). Only my direct boss at Hi-Line cared enough to check in with me during that time. Even after this scare, the company continued their ride-along training and flew me to Dallas twice for on-site meetings. At one of those meetings, I was exposed to COVID again by an attendee and sent home before the meeting even started. At the end of year one, my salary base had run out and I was existing on commissions that had all but dried up due to COVID. I asked for the company to help out by extending the base for a few more months, and they refused. I had no choice but to leave Hi-Line with a sour taste in my mouth.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wesco

Oct 15, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Gilbert, LA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a really good company to work for.

Cons

They all think are very important and selfish.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. Well, this is awkward. We are not Wesco nor do we have any Customer Service Representatives in Gilbert, LA. This post is just so 2020.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Get ready to drop $5k

Jun 22, 2020 - Territory Manager Prospect
    Business Outlook

Pros

The interview process was long but thorough and the support staff does care about the guys in the field

Cons

I was not told about the required $5k deposit on the van until after I had submitted my notice to my current employer. I felt like I was put in a corner that was not going to be a successful relationship so I turned down the position.

10 people found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. Acquiring any vehicle these days requires either cash or credit. Each and every one of our Territory Manager's own and operate their own Mobile Store. Perhaps this person's credit is what required the deposit on the vehicle. This is not something Hi-Line would know about as we do not get involved with the processes involved in the acquisition of the vehicle. It is unfortunate this candidate tries to portray Hi-Line in a negative way because of reasons out of our control.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Pros

If you enjoy being micro managed and want to work in their environment (see below) this may be the opportunity for you! It does work for some.

Cons

They’re a company that really hasn’t changed in decades. They say that growth is always the goal. But history says different. Ask how many sales people they had 5-10-15 or even 20-years ago. Then ask to see a sales report during the same timeline. They’re a flat line company in both head count and revenue. What their recruiting ad should have said is “we need to hire 150 new sales people over the next 5-years to stay at basically 95-territories”. There is that much churn at this company and if they tell you different, well, they are telling you a very tall tale! There are much better opportunities with other organizations in this industry without the upfront vehicle expense who offer higher commission rates, actual support and true independence. Do your homework or you will be hurt financially. And this is coming from someone who built a territory from scratch into a $600K annual business earning $200K+ per year.... ....with another organization! Management at this company really know how to talk the talk. It’s their follow through that makes no sense. That’s why there really hasn’t been much growth for a very, very long time. That’s what happens when the owner is a dictator who truly doesn’t uderstand the industry and surrounds himself with nothing but yes men. And there is nothing wrong with that. They’re happy with the status quo. Unfortunately they’re selling growth when all they really want is more of the same. So think long and hard - do you really want to invest $50K into a vehicle to be one of those 150 hires over the next 5-years with very little chance of success? You. Can. Do. Better! And as other reviewers have mentioned, their religious views are phony and the sexual comments could not have been more spot on. This is coming from first hand experience unfortunately.

19 people found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. The statements made in the above message are either untrue or completely out of context. Throughout the entire post, the writer is trying to portray Hi-Line in a negative light while making false accusations because of their lack of interpersonal skills and unwillingness to work with others. Let me first begin by filling in some voids concerning Hi-Line’s 60-year history of constant improvement and overall growth. Yes, our Mobile Store count was up to 95 when the recession hit in 2009. As a strong family business, we weathered that storm better than most. We dipped to a Mobile Store count of 72. Since then, we have strategically grown our Mobile Stores count back to 95+. During these lean times we learned that we must strengthen each Store. Because of our efforts, each Mobile Store has experienced a 35% average growth rate. Also, our company’s overall revenue has grown 50%+ since 2000. These are hardly flat line numbers. We make no apologies for our Territory Managers being the life blood of our organization. Our TMs love working for a stable, debt-free company that has been successful since 1959. A great work-life balance, uncapped commissions, independence, security, achievement and recognition are just a few more reasons why folks want to come work at Hi-Line. Lastly, we are a Christian-Based Organization and we shout it from the rooftops. Each person’s religious beliefs are up to them, but let me assure you, there is nothing phony about our love and support for Jesus Christ. Also, the reckless comment on sexual harassment is slanderous. These comments are completely out of line, inaccurate and constructed with the intent to harm Hi-Line. For those of you interested in learning more about Hi-Line, feel free to ask me about some of the awesome innovations, changes and improvements that have taken place recently. I will personally answer any questions you may have.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid this place by all means

Jun 6, 2019 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

A paycheck is received every 2 weeks

Cons

There is nothing “ethical” about this place, it’s all a fake impression. Unless you are a “Yes man” you are sure to succeed under dictated conditions. Don’t expect to accomplish your goals with common sense, that is not how that environment works. It is a shame to have to list this place on a resumé.

8 people found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. Hi-Line's moral principles are the exact reasons why our Territory Managers are the most respected in the industry. It is unfortunate you did not find Hi-Line as the place to hang your hat. We hope your next stop fulfills those expectations.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Full-Time Territory Manager

Feb 22, 2017 - Territory Manager in Tuttle, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being a Hi-Line territory manager is one of the best decisions I've ever made. They have been crystal clear on communicating to me what the job is about, how to succeed, and give you endless support to help you. I have been a territory manager for 1 year and 4 months and am succeeding more than I thought I would at this point. The training, the help and support, the communication, and the people are all incredible. There have been tough times within my time here but they say going into it that you're first two years are the toughest. This is a job where you control your own schedule and do what you want, but, you also have a massive responsibility to manage your customers, time, and expenses. You have to put your nose to the grind-stone and work hard. Your customers become friends and are some really good people. Building relationships is key. So far, my time here has been a huge blessing and would recommend working here to anyone who knows how to work hard and is self-driven to succeed.

Cons

The technology of the company could be improved. They are a little bit behind the times with that but are also currently working to upgrade things. If you don't sell, you don't get paid. This is only a con if you're lazy and think you can make money sitting on your couch. The expenses of the truck you have to invest in can add up, but, that should drive you to work harder and make more money.

1 person found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. It sounds like you are really enjoying being a Territory Manager with Hi-Line! It is easy to see why you are becoming more and more successful each day. Not only are you positive and optimistic, but you have a strong level of drive to be the best at what you do. The home office folks do all they can to help and support the TMs servicing the accounts, but at the end of they day, you are making it happen. You are becoming successful in this business through hard work & discipline. I am super glad to hear it is paying off for you. Keep growing your territory and thanks for helping row the boat!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Outstanding Company. Fantastic People.

Jul 1, 2014 - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hi-Line is committed to servicing many different industries while maintaining very high values. The Integrity level of this company is excellent. High Quality People, High Quality Products. I have been employed at Hi-Line for over 15 years and I am part of a company that has a real 'family' feel to the atmosphere and culture. The tenure of employees is something that impresses me. The Corporate office has many employees that have worked here 20, 30 and even 40+ years. That right there tells me what a great place to work at if the employees love what they do and stay around for that long. I enjoy coming to work everyday and I can truly say that I love my job at Hi-Line too! I am so glad to be part of a Christian-based organization that always puts the customer first with impeccable service. Hi-Line is an Outstanding Company with Fantastic People.

Cons

I have never had a negative experience while working at Hi-Line in my 15+ years. This company has never 'over-promised and under-delivered' anything to me or anyone else that I have ever seen or heard about.

4 people found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. Hi-Line loves that longevity is so prevalent with its employee's tenure. Thank You for helping row the boat. We hope you have a happy and successful career with Hi-Line.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

No Stone Left Un-turned

Dec 30, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I consider myself a seasoned Hi-Line employee and I know how the system works. Every individual is consistently searching for the perfect match for their family, financial needs and lifestyle. I am so impressed with the thorough hiring process for Hi-Line Territory Managers positions. The company introduces the candidate to the position with one full day of hands on experience in the field with a Territory Manager then sends them to the home office in Dallas to meet the departments and teams that work very hard for their success. This process was created to have no stone left un-turned for the position and knowledge of what the job entails. Hi-Line respects and acknowledges that every individual is looking for a match just as well as their company is. After coming on board with Hi-Line, the training, territory research developing, your personal accountant, managers and distribution center work around the clock for the Territory Manager's needs and success. This is a wonderful place to work. I have personally heard from many TM's how they love this company, their position, their customers and will never consider leaving!

Cons

If you don't like an independent position, protected territory, establishing relationships with customers, having dedication and integrity then a Hi-Line Territory Manager's position is not for you. "They Hire to Retire - Not Hire to Re-Hire"

3 people found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. Thank you for sharing your feedback! "Hi-Line Hires to Retire - Not Hire to Re-Hire", I love it! Pretty sweet quote. We put great effort into our hiring process because we want to be sure the position is a good fit for our prospective employees. Additionally, the transparency we place on our Territory Manager roles results in wonderful hires like you that thrive at Hi-Line. We want you to succeed and we don't hide anything when it comes to what our Territory Manager position entails. You are our backbone and we want to do our best to take care of you once you are on board. We do nothing short of obsessing over the resources and help we provide you and we're so glad to hear the training, territory research development, your personal account manager and distribution center are meeting these expectations. Rock on and keep giving us the great feedback!

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent Company!!

Nov 10, 2015 - Corporate Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hi-Line is an excellent company with a genuine, professional team of management personnel. I'm no longer with the organization but would go back, or recommend to anyone if the opportunity presented itself again. Hi-Line treated me as a family member. My immediate boss wished me luck with my new endeavors and commented that I would always have a job at Hi-Line if my new role did not work out. This is unheard of in today's corporate society! The Hi-Line management team is truly concerned about your success. I attended an outstanding first week of training; where I was provided top-notch tools to aid in my career development. The support continued through my employment with the company. Each day I felt very comfortable asking questions. The staff treated me with open arms on a daily basis and were truly concerned about my growth and success. If you want a high-level of support and the feel of "family"; Hi-Line is the place to be! Regards, Happy Ex- Employee

Cons

The Benefit package could be more robust and in-line with other corporations. However, Hi-Line would do whatever it takes to ensure your financial needs are being met. I was offered a nice severance package upon my exit.

5 people found this review helpful

Hi-Line Response

This is Jack. I personally thank you for your time and contributions to Hi-Line. Your willingness to help and ability to encourage others will be missed. If you are ever in the area , please stop by and say hello. I wish you the best in all you do.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews