Hi-Line Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company! Seriously...Amazing!"

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Family-owned and has a family feel
    -Christian-Based Company
    -Great benefits, especially for a small company
    -Lot of Fun Celebrations and Events

Cons

Can't really think of any

Advice to Management

Keep on Doing What You Are Doing!

Nov 15, 2018

This is Jack. Here we go, blushing again! You really know how to give us the warm and fuzzies. Thank you so much for your kind words. This company is what it is because of the people and you are... More

2. "Best Place I Have Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Management Team
    -Family-Owned With a Caring Culture
    -Great work Environment
    -Great team of people who care and support each other
    -Innovative forward thinking industry-leader

Cons

There are none that come to mind, great place to work!

Advice to Management

You all are doing a great job!

Nov 19, 2018

This is Jack. Welcome to Hi-Line! Glad to hear your first year is going so well. I hope you grow to like it here more and more everyday. Thanks for 'helping row the boat'!

"Worst time of my life."

I worked at Hi-Line full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

The company claims to be seeking constant improvement but their focus is scattered and are unable to accomplish growth as desired. Management run the company as dictators and very few opinions and contributions are considered from other employees.

If you aren’t a salesman or in marketing, don’t expect to get any respect from the higher ups.

The company is stuck in the 20th century. Very old fashioned way of thinking and very unallowing of new and current ideas and ways of thinking. The pay scale is also old. Don’t expect compensation in line with other companies in the industry. It will be low and unlikely to improve

I was not a salesman and felt it was very difficult to prove your worth to management. They don’t give you a chance, and will take any opportunity to try to make you feel stupid for not agreeing with their way of thinking.

Integrity and honesty are nearly nonexistent at Hi-Line.

This was the main reason I titled my review worst time of my life. I hated working at a place that was unwilling to appreciate the knowledge of its employees. It hinders the company growth. I don’t even care if any of my thoughts or opinions are/were listened to. There are still a lot of good and intelligent people at the company, better and more intelligent than myself I’ll admit. But management doesn’t appreciate that, and they are so stubborn and unwilling to see the error of their ways, they will continue to lose employees and fail to grow the way they could with a little change.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees - The “lower” employees have such a good understanding of the company and a better outlook on operational efficiencies than anyone in management. Give them the respect they deserve and realize that you don’t always know the best way of doing everything. Usually you don’t.

Focus on what matters - Money is thrown left and right to things that don’t matter and things that don’t bring the company any positive growth to the bottom line. The company is profitable overall, but so much opportunity is wasted by inefficient use of time, money, and manpower. The rest of your employees know this, but like I said, you don’t listen to them so you wouldn’t know. I suggest you invest some time and money into the people who matter. (Not just the TM’s).

Knock the TM’s down a peg in priority - The TM’s are important and most do a good job, but they would be nothing without the home office employees. The operations department keeps the company running but you treat them like they are scum, just there to do what you want. Appreciate them more. The TM’s should not get to dictate how the company runs. They don’t have the knowledge or big picture view of the company to make it run the way it needs. They don’t “own their own business,” they are employees. Yes, they own the truck, but the only reason that truck runs is because of your home office employees, especially operations. With a little bit of time, money, and appreciation focused towards operations (and other home office departments) the company would see significant bottom line improvements. Unfortunately management doesn’t seem to understand how that could be possible. Sales aren’t the only thing that effect your bottom line. PAY ATTENTION TO THE REST OF YOUR BUSINESS OR BEFORE LONG, YOU WONT HAVE ONE.

Aug 10, 2018

This is Jack. Hi-Line regrets that your time with us was "The worst time of my life". This is certainly not the case for the vast majority of people on the Hi-Line team that enjoys our average... More

"A Fantastic Company!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hi-Line is a very supportive company in terms of everything from HR to compensation. The company itself puts quality product out to their customers and upholds their employees to the highest standards and expectations but also treats them with the same amount of decency and respect as well. Hi-Line has allowed me the freedoms and comforts to build my own business and grow as an individual, while still being supported by a great company, who backs me 100%.

Cons

At this time, I have not experienced a downside in my role with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Jan 22, 2018

This is Jack. Heck ya, we've all got your back! We will be here for your every step, no matter what hurdles appear. Keep spreading the red and watch your territory grow! Thank you for the great... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Owning and running your own business, earning potential is unlimited,
    bonuses, being your own boss.

Cons

Owning your own successful business can be very demanding and time consuming.
    Lots of competition.

Advice to Management

Faster order completion, less back orders, more product, more product, more product!

Jan 22, 2018

This is Jack. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your feedback and advice to management does not fall on deaf ears. As you know, Hi-Line is currently focusing on these three... More

"Unique Company"

Pros

Great family oriented company that has been around and run by the same owners for almost 60nyears. Super friendly people.

Cons

The facility is old but even that is kind of charming and endearing.

Advice to Management

Haven't been here long enough to know if any advice is needed. so far so good.

Jan 22, 2018

This is Jack. Thank you for your kind words. Since you are new to Hi-Line, please allow me to welcome you to our team. The next time you see me in the halls, aim for a high five! I hope your new... More

"The Best decision I every made, don't believe the negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited salary, ability to control your income and work hours. The best training I have ever received. I was never a salesmen and they made me feel so comfortable to make sales calls. I see the negative or cons that are all not true. Most all the manager are former top sales managers that made there PHC. In my case management will spend as much time as you need with them to learn the business and will answer your call any time day or night. We even have a group chat where your regional guys will help any questions your manager might not know. A real team effort to help you make it. Before you start one day in the field you are sent to Dallas and trained by one of there greatest sales managers ever.
    They are a Christian owned company. For the comments of "no Ethics": As a reader if they don't say why, they must be write lying. I did not see one person give a sheered of evidence of what was unethical. I have never seen one unethical statement, training, or sales training idea that could not be taught in a church. Just bitter ex employees that could not make it. Yes, I have seen and had policy I did not like, but it was for the best of the company and all employees. I have never had a penny taken out of my check that was not explained in writing. These rules have not changed in my 12 years with the company.

I would do this again and recommend my friends or family with the right skills to this jobs.

Cons

The cost is high for a truck.

There is a decent turn over for first year people. That is more for the reason they are not a right fit and they quit, not fired. You will have to work hard (40 hours a week) to build a territory and you can not be scared to go cold call prospects. That is your job not your managers job.

Smaller product line then most competition.

Yes it is true, you can't have an open drink that does not have a lid in the office. Reason they have had several computers fried because of spilled drinks:)

Advice to Management

Deuteronomy 15:10

Jan 22, 2018

This is Jack. Thank you for your candor. For someone with your tenure to come out and write these words of wisdom means a lot to Hi-Line. You have spent years in the trenches servicing many... More

"Supportive Family Oriented Business"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial driven, supportive corporate structure, opportunity for growth, family owned and oriented. Depending on on your role at the company, you can definitely find a lot of freedom and opportunity to create your own path. This is especially true for our sales team (Territory Managers, Sales Management and Recruiters). Corporate staff is extremely supportive of the external staff and focused on customer support, quality products and service. Most recently, there has been a shift to focus on retention and growth simultaneously which I feel is very healthy and strategic for the future of the organization. The company promotes from within and is happy to bring hard working individuals up through the ranks. There is a lot of long time, tenured employees which says a lot about the loyalty within.

There is turn over within the sales ranks but mostly due to the position simply not being a good fit for the individual. Theres a lot of drive and self motivation required to build your territory and be successful. It requires optimism, and a high level of self determination and drive and can be very lucrative and rewarding for those who put in the work.

Cons

Medical benefits and 401k match could be a little better but seems to be on par with many other same size companies these days. Traditional and less progressive than other companies, slow to change and update systems. Some outdated corporate policies that need to be reconsidered to breed a more modern, creative work environment. Change and progress can be good and can really spur new ideas and refresh the spirit and moral of employees.

Advice to Management

Great team of managers, some of them wearing multiple hats. My only advice would be to manage each employee differently and according to their needs and learning style. You can't take a one size fits all approach. I think this is true of any manager.

Apr 18, 2017

This is Jack. First of all, thank you for the fantastic review! You have some good tenure with Hi-Line and it sounds like you have found a place where you can continue to grow while learning your... More

"Company as a Whole"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are wanting a career and not just a job, then Hi-Line is the place. There is a reason that their tenure averages 10+ years for both the Territory Managers in the field, as well as the home office. I started working with HI-Line on a 6 week contract project......that was 4 years ago and I haven't looked back. This company cares about your success, they listen to you (even when you think that they aren't) and they are always looking for ways to improve. One example is the compensation plan for new Territory Managers. People commented about this plan needing to be improved, so Hi-Line listened and improved it! The NEW compensation plan is amazing and you would be crazy not to take it.

Cons

You have to work hard. Not really a con, but the truth. You cant be upset if you only put in 50% effort and don't succeed. Careers are not built on a short timeline and minimal effort.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to listen to your employees.

Apr 18, 2017

This is Jack. Your commitment and continued efforts towards constant improvement within Hi-Line is outstanding. Hi-Line's Marketing Department is becoming well known and it shows! The amazing work... More

"Large company with small company perks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They always look within before hiring others from the outside and they provide several opportunities to grow in the home office. They give individuals SEVERAL (if I could bold this, I would) chances before letting them go; to me, this says a lot about a company rather than just giving up on someone.

There isn't a lot of structure so everyone can get in their own groove rather than feeling stuffy with rules. They are pretty open to new options and like to change things around a bit to see what works best.

Hi-Line is a big company with a small company personality, which means that they will focus on each territory manager's needs on an individual basis rather than applying a blanket response to everyone as each territory is different. You'll get to know everyone within the company and a face to go with it, and you have regular opportunities to talk to the CEO rather than just seeing him at company functions.

Cons

Quite a bit of unnecessary drama. Information should be restricted to certain departments but it always gets out and can be hard to recover from; this in turns creates negative (usually untruthful) opinions about other departments rather than departments working together...

Advice to Management

Hire more people to help out on the load in the home office. I know that this may seem like more money by having more people, but it will greatly help with the productivity and mental health of the workers. They work very hard for all the hats they wear and for all the stuff that they do. Also, if other people can shadow other departments other than their own, this could develop a stronger understanding/appreciation/relationship. This exposure will also create the mentality of "If I do ABC this way, it will make their job a bit easier."

Apr 18, 2017

This is Jack. Wow! Thank you for the awesome review! Even though your tenure was a little over a year, it sounds like you developed some good relationships while at Hi-Line. I would like to... More