Hi-Line Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2019

3.4
Hi-Line President Mike Sheaffer (no image)
Mike Sheaffer

"A Fantastic Company!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hi-Line is a very supportive company in terms of everything from HR to compensation. The company itself puts quality product out to their customers and upholds their employees to the highest standards and expectations but also treats them with the same amount of decency and respect as well. Hi-Line has allowed me the freedoms and comforts to build my own business and grow as an individual, while still being supported by a great company, who backs me 100%.

Cons

At this time, I have not experienced a downside in my role with the company.

Hi-Line2017-12-08

January 22, 2018

This is Jack. Heck ya, we've all got your back! We will be here for your every step, no matter what hurdles appear. Keep spreading the red and watch your territory grow! Thank you for the great review!

"So their current recruitment opportunity says they want to grow to 150 territories (from 95) within 5-years!"

I worked at Hi-Line full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you enjoy being micro managed and want to work in their environment (see below) this may be the opportunity for you! It does work for some.

Cons

They’re a company that really hasn’t changed in decades. They say that growth is always the goal. But history says different. Ask how many sales people they had 5-10-15 or even 20-years ago. Then ask to see a sales report during the same timeline. They’re a flat line company in both head count and revenue. What their recruiting ad should have said is “we need to hire 150 new sales people over the next 5-years to stay at basically 95-territories”. There is that much churn at this company and if they tell you different, well, they are telling you a very tall tale! There are much better opportunities with other organizations in this industry without the upfront vehicle expense who offer higher commission rates, actual support and true independence. Do your homework or you will be hurt financially. And this is coming from someone who built a territory from scratch into a $600K annual business earning $200K+ per year.... ....with another organization! Management at this company really know how to talk the talk. It’s their follow through that makes no sense. That’s why there really hasn’t been much growth for a very, very long time. That’s what happens when the owner is a dictator who truly doesn’t uderstand the industry and surrounds himself with nothing but yes men. And there is nothing wrong with that. They’re happy with the status quo. Unfortunately they’re selling growth when all they really want is more of the same. So think long and hard - do you really want to invest $50K into a vehicle to be one of those 150 hires over the next 5-years with very little chance of success? You. Can. Do. Better! And as other reviewers have mentioned, their religious views are phony and the sexual comments could not have been more spot on. This is coming from first hand experience unfortunately.

Hi-Line2019-07-09

October 9, 2019

This is Jack. The statements made in the above message are either untrue or completely out of context. Throughout the entire post, the writer is trying to portray Hi-Line in a negative light while making false accusations because of their lack of interpersonal skills and unwillingness to work with others. Let me first begin by filling in some voids concerning Hi-Line’s 60-year history of constant improvement and overall growth. Yes, our Mobile Store count was up to 95 when the recession hit in 2009. As a strong family business, we weathered that storm better than most. We dipped to a Mobile Store count of 72. Since then, we have strategically grown our Mobile Stores count back to 95+. During these lean times we learned that we must strengthen each Store. Because of our efforts, each Mobile Store has experienced a 35% average growth rate. Also, our company’s overall revenue has grown 50%+ since 2000. These are hardly flat line numbers. We make no apologies for our Territory Managers being the life blood of our organization. Our TMs love working for a stable, debt-free company that has been successful since 1959. A great work-life balance, uncapped commissions, independence, security, achievement and recognition are just a few more reasons why folks want to come work at Hi-Line. Lastly, we are a Christian-Based Organization and we shout it from the rooftops. Each person’s religious beliefs are up to them, but let me assure you, there is nothing phony about our love and support for Jesus Christ. Also, the reckless comment on sexual harassment is slanderous. These comments are completely out of line, inaccurate and constructed with the intent to harm Hi-Line. For those of you interested in learning more about Hi-Line, feel free to ask me about some of the awesome innovations, changes and improvements that have taken place recently. I will personally answer any questions you may have.

"Avoid this place by all means"

I worked at Hi-Line

Pros

A paycheck is received every 2 weeks

Cons

There is nothing “ethical” about this place, it’s all a fake impression. Unless you are a “Yes man” you are sure to succeed under dictated conditions. Don’t expect to accomplish your goals with common sense, that is not how that environment works. It is a shame to have to list this place on a resumé.

Hi-Line2019-06-06

October 8, 2019

This is Jack. Hi-Line's moral principles are the exact reasons why our Territory Managers are the most respected in the industry. It is unfortunate you did not find Hi-Line as the place to hang your hat. We hope your next stop fulfills those expectations.

"Worst time of my life."

I worked at Hi-Line full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

The company claims to be seeking constant improvement but their focus is scattered and are unable to accomplish growth as desired. Management run the company as dictators and very few opinions and contributions are considered from other employees. If you aren’t a salesman or in marketing, don’t expect to get any respect from the higher ups. The company is stuck in the 20th century. Very old fashioned way of thinking and very unallowing of new and current ideas and ways of thinking. The pay scale is also old. Don’t expect compensation in line with other companies in the industry. It will be low and unlikely to improve I was not a salesman and felt it was very difficult to prove your worth to management. They don’t give you a chance, and will take any opportunity to try to make you feel stupid for not agreeing with their way of thinking. Integrity and honesty are nearly nonexistent at Hi-Line. This was the main reason I titled my review worst time of my life. I hated working at a place that was unwilling to appreciate the knowledge of its employees. It hinders the company growth. I don’t even care if any of my thoughts or opinions are/were listened to. There are still a lot of good and intelligent people at the company, better and more intelligent than myself I’ll admit. But management doesn’t appreciate that, and they are so stubborn and unwilling to see the error of their ways, they will continue to lose employees and fail to grow the way they could with a little change.

Hi-Line2018-08-02

August 10, 2018

This is Jack. Hi-Line regrets that your time with us was "The worst time of my life". This is certainly not the case for the vast majority of people on the Hi-Line team that enjoys our average total employee tenure of 14+ years. Furthermore, as we approach our 60th year in business, Hi-Line makes no apologies for ensuring the home office provides fantastic support to our Territory Managers (sales & service folks) that allows them to service our customers at the highest levels. We hope you find a place to work with an environment and culture where you can flourish and develop professionally.

5. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for less than a year

Pros

Freedom to run your own territory, commissions, great support staff at corporate.

Cons

collections, charge backs, and guarantees

Hi-Line2017-12-02

May 21, 2020

This is Jack. We appreciate you taking the time to write a 5-Star review for Hi-Line! Very much appreciated. Unfortunately, chargebacks and guarantees are part of any sales position regardless of what you sell. Every company must collect monies that are due, but thank goodness Hi-Line provides all Territory Managers with a personal Account Manager that handles all your billing and collections. We just want you out in the field doing what you do best, and that's servicing customers. May you continue to enjoy your independence while running your territory. I hope you have a very prosperous and financially rewarding career at Hi-Line.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Owning and running your own business, earning potential is unlimited, bonuses, being your own boss.

Cons

Owning your own successful business can be very demanding and time consuming. Lots of competition.

Hi-Line2017-10-13

January 22, 2018

This is Jack. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your feedback and advice to management does not fall on deaf ears. As you know, Hi-Line is currently focusing on these three topics right now. I strongly believe with the changes in place, you will see significant improvement in these areas. We all appreciate everything you do each day as a Hi-Line Territory Manager. Please feel free to reach out if there is ever anything I can do to help you.

"Unique Company"

5.0

I have been working at Hi-Line

Pros

Great family oriented company that has been around and run by the same owners for almost 60nyears. Super friendly people.

Cons

The facility is old but even that is kind of charming and endearing.

Hi-Line2017-07-27

January 22, 2018

This is Jack. Thank you for your kind words. Since you are new to Hi-Line, please allow me to welcome you to our team. The next time you see me in the halls, aim for a high five! I hope your new position exceeds all your expectations! Again, welcome!

"The Best decision I every made, don't believe the negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unlimited salary, ability to control your income and work hours. The best training I have ever received. I was never a salesmen and they made me feel so comfortable to make sales calls. I see the negative or cons that are all not true. Most all the manager are former top sales managers that made there PHC. In my case management will spend as much time as you need with them to learn the business and will answer your call any time day or night. We even have a group chat where your regional guys will help any questions your manager might not know. A real team effort to help you make it. Before you start one day in the field you are sent to Dallas and trained by one of there greatest sales managers ever. They are a Christian owned company. For the comments of "no Ethics": As a reader if they don't say why, they must be write lying. I did not see one person give a sheered of evidence of what was unethical. I have never seen one unethical statement, training, or sales training idea that could not be taught in a church. Just bitter ex employees that could not make it. Yes, I have seen and had policy I did not like, but it was for the best of the company and all employees. I have never had a penny taken out of my check that was not explained in writing. These rules have not changed in my 12 years with the company. I would do this again and recommend my friends or family with the right skills to this jobs.

Cons

The cost is high for a truck. There is a decent turn over for first year people. That is more for the reason they are not a right fit and they quit, not fired. You will have to work hard (40 hours a week) to build a territory and you can not be scared to go cold call prospects. That is your job not your managers job. Smaller product line then most competition. Yes it is true, you can't have an open drink that does not have a lid in the office. Reason they have had several computers fried because of spilled drinks:)

Hi-Line2017-03-28

January 22, 2018

This is Jack. Thank you for your candor. For someone with your tenure to come out and write these words of wisdom means a lot to Hi-Line. You have spent years in the trenches servicing many different industries so you see firsthand the value that Hi-Line brings to its customers. Hi-Line has a value added service that is above all competition because we understand the importance of enhancing productivity through service. TMs that never settle, are constantly searching for improvement and have a high level of customer service are the ones who become successful TMs at Hi-Line. Because of TMs like yourself, Hi-Line has been growing at tremendous rates. For example, 2017 was a record year! How cool is that?!?! Cheers to your previous 12 years and may the rest of your years at Hi-Line be filled with longevity and success!

"Supportive Family Oriented Business"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial driven, supportive corporate structure, opportunity for growth, family owned and oriented. Depending on on your role at the company, you can definitely find a lot of freedom and opportunity to create your own path. This is especially true for our sales team (Territory Managers, Sales Management and Recruiters). Corporate staff is extremely supportive of the external staff and focused on customer support, quality products and service. Most recently, there has been a shift to focus on retention and growth simultaneously which I feel is very healthy and strategic for the future of the organization. The company promotes from within and is happy to bring hard working individuals up through the ranks. There is a lot of long time, tenured employees which says a lot about the loyalty within. There is turn over within the sales ranks but mostly due to the position simply not being a good fit for the individual. Theres a lot of drive and self motivation required to build your territory and be successful. It requires optimism, and a high level of self determination and drive and can be very lucrative and rewarding for those who put in the work.

Cons

Medical benefits and 401k match could be a little better but seems to be on par with many other same size companies these days. Traditional and less progressive than other companies, slow to change and update systems. Some outdated corporate policies that need to be reconsidered to breed a more modern, creative work environment. Change and progress can be good and can really spur new ideas and refresh the spirit and moral of employees.

Hi-Line2017-03-03

April 18, 2017

This is Jack. First of all, thank you for the fantastic review! You have some good tenure with Hi-Line and it sounds like you have found a place where you can continue to grow while learning your trade. As an outside sales & service driven company, finding the right people for each territory is very important. As a recruiter with Hi-Line, you are on the front lines searching for those people. The Territory Manager position with Hi-Line can be a challenging role to fill. Each TM comes to Hi-Line from a different path and then is coached individually to their strengths to help ensure their success. I would like to say 'Thank You' for all you do. Your passion, determination, drive and desire to succeed is clear. Your feedback and advice is heard, and we will work towards achieving an even better place to work. May you have tremendous success with Hi-Line!

"Company as a Whole"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are wanting a career and not just a job, then Hi-Line is the place. There is a reason that their tenure averages 10+ years for both the Territory Managers in the field, as well as the home office. I started working with HI-Line on a 6 week contract project......that was 4 years ago and I haven't looked back. This company cares about your success, they listen to you (even when you think that they aren't) and they are always looking for ways to improve. One example is the compensation plan for new Territory Managers. People commented about this plan needing to be improved, so Hi-Line listened and improved it! The NEW compensation plan is amazing and you would be crazy not to take it.

Cons

You have to work hard. Not really a con, but the truth. You cant be upset if you only put in 50% effort and don't succeed. Careers are not built on a short timeline and minimal effort.

Hi-Line2017-03-02

April 18, 2017

This is Jack. Your commitment and continued efforts towards constant improvement within Hi-Line is outstanding. Hi-Line's Marketing Department is becoming well known and it shows! The amazing work you all are producing is nothing short of industry leading. Thank you for the review and keep up the great work!

Found 40 reviews