Hi-Line Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Mike Sheaffer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Unique Company"

Pros

Great family oriented company that has been around and run by the same owners for almost 60nyears. Super friendly people.

Cons

The facility is old but even that is kind of charming and endearing.

Advice to Management

Haven't been here long enough to know if any advice is needed. so far so good.

2. "Hi Line review"

Former Employee - Distribution Tech in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Distribution Tech in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family owned company. Very nice owners and Vice President. Secure job

Cons

Not really the type of job for growth within and did not receive much appreciation for my bad work.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and without favoritism

"The Best decision I every made, don't believe the negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited salary, ability to control your income and work hours. The best training I have ever received. I was never a salesmen and they made me feel so comfortable to make sales calls. I see the negative or cons that are all not true. Most all the manager are former top sales managers that made there PHC. In my case management will spend as much time as you need with them to learn the business and will answer your call any time day or night. We even have a group chat where your regional guys will help any questions your manager might not know. A real team effort to help you make it. Before you start one day in the field you are sent to Dallas and trained by one of there greatest sales managers ever.
    They are a Christian owned company. For the comments of "no Ethics": As a reader if they don't say why, they must be write lying. I did not see one person give a sheered of evidence of what was unethical. I have never seen one unethical statement, training, or sales training idea that could not be taught in a church. Just bitter ex employees that could not make it. Yes, I have seen and had policy I did not like, but it was for the best of the company and all employees. I have never had a penny taken out of my check that was not explained in writing. These rules have not changed in my 12 years with the company.

I would do this again and recommend my friends or family with the right skills to this jobs.

Cons

The cost is high for a truck.

There is a decent turn over for first year people. That is more for the reason they are not a right fit and they quit, not fired. You will have to work hard (40 hours a week) to build a territory and you can not be scared to go cold call prospects. That is your job not your managers job.

Smaller product line then most competition.

Yes it is true, you can't have an open drink that does not have a lid in the office. Reason they have had several computers fried because of spilled drinks:)

Advice to Management

Deuteronomy 15:10

"Company as a Whole"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are wanting a career and not just a job, then Hi-Line is the place. There is a reason that their tenure averages 10+ years for both the Territory Managers in the field, as well as the home office. I started working with HI-Line on a 6 week contract project......that was 4 years ago and I haven't looked back. This company cares about your success, they listen to you (even when you think that they aren't) and they are always looking for ways to improve. One example is the compensation plan for new Territory Managers. People commented about this plan needing to be improved, so Hi-Line listened and improved it! The NEW compensation plan is amazing and you would be crazy not to take it.

Cons

You have to work hard. Not really a con, but the truth. You cant be upset if you only put in 50% effort and don't succeed. Careers are not built on a short timeline and minimal effort.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to listen to your employees.

Apr 18, 2017

This is Jack. Your commitment and continued efforts towards constant improvement within Hi-Line is outstanding. Hi-Line's Marketing Department is becoming well known and it shows! The amazing work... More

"Large company with small company perks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They always look within before hiring others from the outside and they provide several opportunities to grow in the home office. They give individuals SEVERAL (if I could bold this, I would) chances before letting them go; to me, this says a lot about a company rather than just giving up on someone.

There isn't a lot of structure so everyone can get in their own groove rather than feeling stuffy with rules. They are pretty open to new options and like to change things around a bit to see what works best.

Hi-Line is a big company with a small company personality, which means that they will focus on each territory manager's needs on an individual basis rather than applying a blanket response to everyone as each territory is different. You'll get to know everyone within the company and a face to go with it, and you have regular opportunities to talk to the CEO rather than just seeing him at company functions.

Cons

Quite a bit of unnecessary drama. Information should be restricted to certain departments but it always gets out and can be hard to recover from; this in turns creates negative (usually untruthful) opinions about other departments rather than departments working together...

Advice to Management

Hire more people to help out on the load in the home office. I know that this may seem like more money by having more people, but it will greatly help with the productivity and mental health of the workers. They work very hard for all the hats they wear and for all the stuff that they do. Also, if other people can shadow other departments other than their own, this could develop a stronger understanding/appreciation/relationship. This exposure will also create the mentality of "If I do ABC this way, it will make their job a bit easier."

Apr 18, 2017

This is Jack. Wow! Thank you for the awesome review! Even though your tenure was a little over a year, it sounds like you developed some good relationships while at Hi-Line. I would like to... More

"Supportive Family Oriented Business"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial driven, supportive corporate structure, opportunity for growth, family owned and oriented. Depending on on your role at the company, you can definitely find a lot of freedom and opportunity to create your own path. This is especially true for our sales team (Territory Managers, Sales Management and Recruiters). Corporate staff is extremely supportive of the external staff and focused on customer support, quality products and service. Most recently, there has been a shift to focus on retention and growth simultaneously which I feel is very healthy and strategic for the future of the organization. The company promotes from within and is happy to bring hard working individuals up through the ranks. There is a lot of long time, tenured employees which says a lot about the loyalty within.

There is turn over within the sales ranks but mostly due to the position simply not being a good fit for the individual. Theres a lot of drive and self motivation required to build your territory and be successful. It requires optimism, and a high level of self determination and drive and can be very lucrative and rewarding for those who put in the work.

Cons

Medical benefits and 401k match could be a little better but seems to be on par with many other same size companies these days. Traditional and less progressive than other companies, slow to change and update systems. Some outdated corporate policies that need to be reconsidered to breed a more modern, creative work environment. Change and progress can be good and can really spur new ideas and refresh the spirit and moral of employees.

Advice to Management

Great team of managers, some of them wearing multiple hats. My only advice would be to manage each employee differently and according to their needs and learning style. You can't take a one size fits all approach. I think this is true of any manager.

Apr 18, 2017

This is Jack. First of all, thank you for the fantastic review! You have some good tenure with Hi-Line and it sounds like you have found a place where you can continue to grow while learning your... More

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to be my own boss. The earning potential is outstanding. I have a protected territory and a lead generation department second to none!!

Cons

Long hours in the beginning to grow my business, but I didn't see that as a con. I saw it as an investment in my future success. Can't start this job at 9 am and stop for the day at 3 pm with an hour and a half for lunch and expect to be successful.

Feb 24, 2017

This is Jack. Thank you for the 5-Star review! If you need anything while growing your territory, please do not hesitate to ask. May your future at Hi-Line be filled with happiness and success.

"Many Hats TM, Divisional Mgr, Training Mgr. and more!"

Current Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi-Line has kept me growing! I have had a very long career and have filled many positions. All have been challenging and rewarding. Hi-Line is not a job but a career, have an open mind, be willing to put skin in the game, dedicate your efforts to building your business and it works. People that commit to growing and Hi-line fundamentals with honesty and integrity can expect a full rewarding career! I have had one.

Cons

If you are not a self starter it wont work! Humans work here, mistakes get made! Learn from them and move on. Don't mistake Passion for something it is not. your first year may be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, constant improvement. Hi-Line is always looking for better ways. Hi-line encourages effort and growth which is rewarded with bonuses. I love this company and have many friends here.

Apr 4, 2017

This is Jack. The 'rewarding' career you have at Hi-Line is something to be very proud of. The many hats you have worn throughout your long tenure prove you have contributed to a lot of other... More

9. "Focused on People and Constant Improvment"

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi-Line is focused on the people who make up the company. Many team members have been around for decades. Lots of very nice quality-minded people work here.
    Hi-Line sets the industry standard to vendor-managed inventory services. I have enjoyed over 13 years of success with Hi-Line.

Cons

Hi-Line's sales positions are rewarding and challenging. People who are not assertive and not willing to get out of their comfort zone are not a good fit. To work in this position, a person buys a specialized vehicle, a "mobile store". While not a unique concept, it is unusual. The rewards for success are really good, but it can take a couple of years of hard work to get there.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on long-term growth and expansion. Stay positive and upbeat. Hi-Line's customer service really shines among its many "self-service" competitors.

Feb 24, 2017

This is Jack. The longevity of employees at Hi-Line is not only outstanding, it is truly unbelievable to work at a company with so much tenure of rock stars. Each person plays a specific role for... More

10. "A busy company"

I have been working at Hi-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hi-line is a great fast paced keep you moving company. The people here are like family. Opportunities for learning and become better at your job is limitless. Love the people and love the job.

Cons

Communication is a bit weak and would like to see a bit more transparency throughout the company. Sometimes it feels like things are a secret.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and keep moving forward

Apr 4, 2017

This is Jack. It is amazing how fast time flies! You mention you have been with Hi-Line a little over a year now and I am excited to hear you say "the people here are like family". Hi-Line is all... More