Highbridge Capital Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Christopher Builione

1. "Technolgy associate"

I worked at Highbridge Capital Management full-time

Pros

Good place with lot of smart people and great systems and an established name. Some good perks for the employees.

Cons

Heavy focus on cost cutting and waste of great talent in many cases. Very little focus on talent and its growth. Not sure of its long term strategy

Advice to Management

Please be more clear in terms of the firms direction and also better efforts on the business development side to raise more money

"What do you call a Hedge Fund that Can't make money?"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Don't worry about doing any work, there isn't any to be done

Cons

*No work and anything actually done has absolutely no importance.
    *The business can't make money if they are handed it on a silver platter. Quarter after quarter, the hedge fund has a negative return on capital, not exactly one of the bridge spots in the industry. Only thing keeping this place afloat is the constant influx of capital from JP Morgan(who owns the firm)
    *Many groups within the firm are very unskilled, but really try to hide the fact.
    *Leadership in the firm is non-existent. Since the firm continuously lose money, seems like the higher-ups just like to hide their face so they don't have to answer any questions about what is being done to change this fact.

Advice to Management

Hello, are you there?

"Career Crippler? Caution."

Former Employee - Applications Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Highbridge Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job you take afterwards will feel like a beautiful dream. I couldn't believe the relative level of meritocracy and flatness I encountered at my next employer - and that employer wasn't even a tech company. To this day I feel a gratitude for my current worklife that I wouldn't feel had I not experienced the sad world of Highbridge.

Cons

Are you a software engineer? Highbridge is not competitive with the tech sector on compensation. And yet, Highbridge's culture is as top-down, butts-in-seats, and hierarchical as it gets. "Imagine if the traders saw you," I often heard people being told. One day my manager said it to me because the shades of my black socks weren't quite the same. Sounds like a joke, I know. It wasn't. This place was my introduction to the working world and the one good thing it taught me was skepticism. Inside Highbridge they think they have strong technology chops (despite massive turnover and brain drain for the above reasons) because the ones who are left there have no frame of reference or are trapped for other reasons. *Alternate reality warning.* Run!

Advice to Management

Hire interns who don't know better and see how long it takes them to catch on.

One time, addressing the whole technology team, the CFO/CTO offered the following advice after a (second) round of layoffs: "We have to make two plus two add up to more than four." That is verbatim. Don't speak in blatantly Orwellian ways when addressing engineers or you show your hand.

5. "Hop on, Hop off the Highbridge Train"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Highbridge Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A lot of learning opportunities and a great firm for establishing a strong knowledge/experience foundation.

- High volume results in an incredibly steep learning curve.

- Opportunities post-Highbridge are immense due to its reputation and brand.

- Free coffee and snacks.

Cons

- Limited ability to move because it is not a growing firm with new positions and needs. If you want to move vertically or laterally, it means someone else is moving (out).

- Culture has been changing over the years and it is not for the better.

- High volume is is great for a steep learning curve, but it also means that you are going to be experiencing a lot of redundancy. No such thing as a "renaissance role" at a place this large. Good for some, bad for others.

Advice to Management

Culture > Bottom Line

"Company on the downswing"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Highbridge Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work hours are decent. The individuals working there are conscientious and hard working. Solid benefits.

Cons

There has been a mantra of cost-cutting which has inflected all the decision making within the company, causing reductions in salary and headcount over time. Their compensation is no longer in line with industry standards, particularly for technologists.

7. "Good Environment"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Collegial and small, opportunities for growth, work life balance

Cons

Risk exposure to markets and less opportunities for growth

Advice to Management

Better growth oppportunities

8. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Highbridge Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are very smart. The firm fosters a collaborative environment. If you work hard, you will be rewarded. Comp and benefits are okay.

Cons

Quality of life can vary from group to group. Some managers do not foster a positive environment. I have seen some managers actively try to prevent an employee's career development. Work/life balance could be improved.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about comp and benefits. Allowe more flexibility i.e. - working from home.

9. "An amazing career among a endless sea of jobs"

Current Employee - GSM East Valley in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - GSM East Valley in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Highbridge Capital Management part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has provided me with the stability and finacial freedom to pursue my goals within my personal and professional life

Cons

Somewhat disorganized.didnt verify my id so the person that stole my identity got my first several paychecks..:(

Advice to Management

Keep a closer look at who you are really working with. Verify verify verify.

10. "Highbridge- Premier Asset Management firm"

Former Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Highbridge Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Asset Management Firm.Very good work atmosphere . Skilled and talented professionals working in the team gives you extra boost in energy and vigor to get your job done.

Cons

Can add more streamlining to some business / IT processes , but might impact the nimble footedness of the firm.

11. "Mixed bag in technology and company culture"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Highbridge Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is some pretty cool technology that they work with and the employees are, for the most part, friendly. There are some company events and sports teams which allow you to get to know people outside of your immediate team.

The job pay was on par with the industry and the office location (in midtown) is fantastic.

Cons

Knowledge is highly silo-ed with little real collaboration between team members on projects. People are heads-down on most tasks and probably working at cross purposes. Lack of knowledge transfer makes supporting other teams or covering for a team member on vacation difficult.

There's no clear and consistent division of how software or systems are supported ("no one owns it" syndrome for some apps or "the wrong group owns it" for others).

They make heavy use of some home grown scripts for things like configuration management (chef or puppet don't exist) so what you learn there may not transfer well to other jobs.

Development is sometimes done by teams who are not developers...

Advice to Management

Solidify application architecture under one group. Qualified developers.
    Make use of outside technologies for some fundamental tasks (don't re-invent the wheel). Get people to work in groups (pairs at least) on projects. "Project Sprints" would allow you to focus on a few projects and gradually develop a few of them over month timelines.