Higher Logic Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 14, 2018

3.5
Robert Wenger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place you actually enjoy coming to work every day."

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Higher Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of room for growth, transparency from our executives even through 4 acquisitions, strong- yet personable leadership, intelligent and genuinely caring colleagues, exciting work, cold-brew coffee on tap, fun happy hours, free snacks, great location (HQ)! First job i've ever really enjoyed, always recommend friends to apply.

Cons

Bring back Holiday bonuses! Would be nice to have all federal holidays off since majority of our clientele does anyways.

Advice to Management

no advice, thanks for making Higher Logic such a fun, positive, and welcoming environment to work in every day.

"Feels like home"

I have been working at Higher Logic full-time

Pros

Each and every day I am given opportunities to grow, and chances to choose where I want to expand my knowledge. This company fosters growth and potential among their employees, and works hard with employees to make it inclusive for everyone. I look forward to coming into work each day. The people here are like family to me, and this feels like home. Everyone is so nice and really wants you to shine in your role. They never cut you down for asking questions and everyone collaborates well.

Cons

The company seems to be financially well off and does really well in sales but I'm not sure enough trickles down to have competitive pay for the DC/MD/VA area.

"An Employee-Centric Company"

I worked at Higher Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As someone who worked elsewhere before joining and has since left, Higher Logic deserves 3-4 star reviews at least. This company is truly employee-centric. I have worked at places that aren't and those companies tend to be the ones with issues that deserve 1-2 star reviews. The environment at HL is collaborative, they spend a ton of money on employee perks like a monthly mobile reimbursement and staff events, people are friendly and welcoming, micromanagement is non-existent at this company, they truly respect work-life balance, etc. I have seen acquisitions take place at other companies where leadership did not do anything to bring acquired companies into the fold. HL worked really hard to standardize benefits, events, and opportunities across locations to make it feel like one big team.

I would recommend working here to anyone in my network. Don't be scared off by the negative reviews. At first glance it seems that a few of the recent ones were all written by the same person anyways.

Cons

They are going through a lot of change as they grow and that can be hard for employees who joined when it was still a start-up or were a part of a smaller acquired company prior to Higher Logic. As long as you go in knowing what to expect in a high-growth environment and have a positive attitude, you will be just fine.

Advice to Management

Transparency/try to keep surprises to a minimum. Frequent communications from HR/leadership on future plans always help to alleviate concerns.

"Love working here"

I have been working at Higher Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here. The Glassdoor reviews had good things to say about Higher Logic and that was one of the main reasons I applied - they've all proven true. I've purposefully waited a while to write this to make sure I felt the same way, and I do.

HL is going through some exciting changes right now and the company is doing a great job helping employees navigate those. Yes, there are things changing - but that doesn't make it bad. I came in to HL after the acquisitions so I don't have the knowledge of what it was like before to compare to, but from my perspective, the changes are exciting and it feels like the company is going in a good direction.

If you don't know why something is happening, you can ask. Our CEO's door is right down the hall, go knock. After our new CEO started a couple months ago, he held a huddle with employees from each team (higher-ups were not included) to hear honest feedback, and it was given. I've seen him taking actions based on those discussions. That's extremely positive, in my book!

More pros:
    - Management is open to feedback
    - Higher-ups and peers are collaborative
    - Great, friendly people
    - Employee-focused management
    - Great benefits
    - Flexible with work location
    - Work hours = very reasonable

Cons

None to provide at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep seeking employee feedback as you're doing.

"Downhill fast"

Current Employee - Client Success in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Client Success in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Higher Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great. Most of the entry-level to middle-management employees are fantastic to work with and want to produce a useful product and good experience for our customers. The new office in Arlington is nice and there are free snacks and cold brew. The environment is relatively relaxed and lip service is paid to work-life balance. Compensation isn't too bad, and there's a nice 401k match.

Cons

About a year ago, things started going downhill. The purchase of the two marketing automation companies means that instead of focusing on improving our community product and growing that, there's this odd mish-mash of goals. Integrating these two companies has been even worse than the integration of Socious and Kavi, and if you're not in Arlington you will always be at a disadvantage. Product and service have been going downhill. When they announced they were closing the Mesa office and firing some talented individual employees, all of us started updating our resumes. This is not a company I am proud to work for any more.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a fun, cool office while treating employees as disposable "human capital." Higher Logic is now just another software company producing a mediocre product. Why does the sales team have to lie to close big deals? Why do support tickets regularly take a week to get a response and the reply is usually "this is a known bug"? Why was everyone afraid to ask questions at the last town hall? Why are all of our customers complaining?

6. "Integration"

I worked at Higher Logic full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment as well as very bright individuals

Cons

Lack of transparency during times of critical nature

Advice to Management

Be more direct with expectations

"Not a "1" but...."

Current Employee - Operations in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Operations in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Higher Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As had been said in previous reviews, bunch of nice people in the office. Yes, as one reviewer put it, there are some people who think they run things when they don't. All places have some bad seeds. The office is nice and well located. Free snacks and cold brew is also a plus. The cafeteria one floor below has some good eats and reasonably priced. Compensation seems to be market value. There was good work-life balance, but seems like new management has other ideas about that (call it a tbd).

Cons

This place isn't a "1". I've worked at "1"s and that's not this. Problem is it's probably really a 2/2.5 given its current state. I think old management raised too much money and didn't know what to do with it. They spent on a couple marketing automation companies which really don't help this business grow. Didn't help that the integrations of these businesses has been a disaster. Then there was the product roadmap launch that just went kaput. Instead of focusing on what worked, they just decided to try to expand in ways that don't seem to make much sense. It seems like the management that is no longer in place had no clue how to scale a business. Classic case of golden handcuffs. Take a business that functions reasonable well in a niche market, give it a ton of cash, watch them spend it without focusing on what worked before because what worked before has limited upside (probably not enough for JMI), and now there's no place to go. This place looks like it's in a really bad spot right now. But I wouldn't call it a "1" like previous posters. All in all, a pleasant place to come every day. That being said, I wouldn't come here thinking there's some big untapped opportunity awaiting you. This is a risky move to come here right now. It should also be noted that this place is culturally in flux. It was something much different from what it is now. New management seems to want a more structured, professional environment and not what you imagine from a startup. It's like a startup but without the perks.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. This isn't some great startup resume builder. This is a company in serious trouble. I hope you can make this place work again. Lots of nice people who really care. Not sure the "we're a serious business" approach is going to work right now.

"Horrible is an understatement"

I worked at Higher Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good views, decent co workers, flexible hours, decent pay

Cons

One sided office. Not in Virginia? Then you mean nothing to the company. Treated like dirt, left in the dark, management has never informed their employees of everything that is changing (mostly because the C-suite people, including HR, never informed ANYONE about it). Absolutely treated that office like garage and made them feel worthless. Do not, I repeat, do not come near this company as all locations will soon be out of jobs, three years time.
    All employees, minus "the usual" folks were laid off with only 1months pay after a minimum of years service, several of which just had children. Completely disgusted by this company, would never recommend, get out now and never look back.

Advice to Management

treat everyone how they should be treated, as equals. "All Together"..? please. First learn what that means and then run your business. At least try.

"All Together (Except for Mesa)"

Former Employee - BDR
    Former Employee - BDR

I worked at Higher Logic full-time

Pros

Used to be sorta fun.

Cons

Ironic the company motto is "All Together." Knew it was over for this place when all the C Levels started rolling. Feel really mislead about everything at this point. Really curious what new management has in store for this co. What's the vision? It's not a hot tech. How many more associations can they sell to, really. Not much of an upsell/cross-sell product. Commercial seems a dead end. How many commercial clients does HL have that weren't migrations from acquisition? I don't know what to tell ya. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. At least not until they get their house in order, if they can.

Advice to Management

Lots of good feedback from other posters. Just be honest with your employees. Maybe focus on big picture stuff and not details that don't really do anything. It's easy to shift blame onto BDRs and SAs, but there are much bigger problems that are not being addressed. Don't turn this place into a churn and burn shop, though it looks like that's where it's heading.

"Organized Chaos or Chaotic Organization?"

Former Employee - Software
    Former Employee - Software

I worked at Higher Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were super affordable and covered a lot.

Swag was high quality.

People were given time to do their best work.

Cons

Employees of the original HL are treated as superior to those of acquired companies.

HL will not pay out accrued PTO when you leave (unless required in your state).

HL will not carry over PTO year to year causing a use or lose scenario which empties offices at the end of the year.

The main product is disorganized and very difficult to work with. Very easy to break things, no documentation. All of the other acquired products seem to be on life support or antiquated.

Regardless of pep talks and milestone celebrations HL seemed to fall short on executing their plans regarding acquisitions.

Anything that comes out of sale of the business will NEVER trickle down to the employees actually doing the day to day work.

Practically no budget for training / conferences. (Unless you were in the cool kids club)

Advice to Management

For the soon to be gone management, it's too late, the exit is already in the works. You're welcome on the work we did to fund your retirement.

For the new management, you have got an epic mess on your hands, you need to clean house and get rid of low performers and hire quality mid-level management / directors who know how to deliver.