Holiday Extras Reviews

5.0
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other(in 27 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's been mentioned before and HX can say all they want that it doesn't exist but it does(in 21 reviews)

• "Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Aug 23, 2020 - Ficer in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and great people

Cons

Long hours but if single it’s oky

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not the kind of company they want you to think they are

May 6, 2021 - Customer Service Agent in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's better than being unemployed

Cons

They lie about future opportunities and leave you lingering in false hope The pay is poor The management put on a false friendly front all the way through interview and are then as strict as you can imagine in the job Toilet breaks are timed - you have 5 minutes to get to the loo (at least 1 minute walk each way to/from the department) and if you go over that, even by a few seconds, you are reprimanded by a manager. Targets are constantly pushed higher and higher, to the point they are unattainable. The whole place is full of smug management who swan about making sure you know they're much richer than you. Holiday Extras sell themselves as being a very welcoming, friendly, open, fun and progressive company to work for. The truth is the polar opposite. It's a closed shop. They don't promote from within, they higher in from outside and keep 'the little people' at the bottom. The hours are totally inflexible. They will tell you the hours will be flexible, but once you start, you get given your hours and if you ask to change them you're made to feel like you're asking for something horrendous. You're very unlikely to get them changed, and if you do, they'll hold it against you like an ex-spouse.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Improvement Required

Apr 15, 2021 - Partner Delivery Executive in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pre Covid times lots of pros including BBQ's and profit share Some management is fantastic depending on department The people

Cons

During the pandemic it was understandable that Holiday Extras needed to reduce people spends. However, the way this was handled could have been significantly improved. I for one was on maternity leave when this happened and unfortunately I wasn't kept in the loop and had to be the one chasing. Which as you can appreciate was an extra added stress on top of having a baby. When returning back from mat leave in November after being extremely lucky to have been kept on I was disappointed to find the team morale had gone from 100 to 0. Again understandable as working from home can be tough, but there are simple things that can be put in place to help keep team spirit alive. Due to this it made me feel so disconnected from my team who I used to be able to discuss anything with. It also knocked my confidence massively as I felt that nobody really wanted to engage with anyone. Salary is also a huge factor. I personally feel the longer you work for the company the more you won't be recognised for the work you do and you certainly will not be paid for it. Progression. Its simply not there unless a role is specifically created for you. No recognition. There has been times in the past where I have worked very hard on a peice of work and thats gone completely unnoticed by the management. Its really disheartening when you have done something positive for the business to not even have so much of a thank you. Unfortunately these factors are what resulted to me leaving the business after almost 9 years of service. My first 6 years I would say were amazing and was the best job I had ever had. But the last two years were really quite awful and hard to get through.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

No career progression, terrible management.

Apr 9, 2021 - Insurance Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Do you like icecream? Then it’s a pro!

Cons

Horrific management, no care at all for welfare of staff at all. Your immediate managers will act far superior despite being completely inadequate. Upper management are brilliant however, shame the ‘sales managers’ let the company down. Salary is terrible - commission structure is unrealistic.

5. 3.0

Smoke and mirrors

Mar 16, 2021 - Marketing Executive in Wye, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

HX really do care about the employees. If you're into big events, picnics, ice creams and other social things then this is the place for you. There are a lot of perks.

Cons

Whilst everyone is really lovely, once you get over the free perks you soon realise that the career progression that you were hoping for just isn't there. Sadly, things are the way they are and any change is met with the resistance.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place

Apr 15, 2021 - Guest Experience Specialist in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of fun - they care about your well-being

Cons

Not a lot of job progression

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Really great company to work for

Jan 29, 2021 - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed work environment with friendly staff, flexible hours, ability to work from home, perks like BBQs and activities --- they really look after their staff

Cons

HX seriously needs to hire more POC - the entire company seems 95% white

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Sep 21, 2020 - Marketing Assistant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid a ‘living wage’ Profit share

Cons

Work in the call centre and the entire business looks down on you. The way the call centre is run is a very negative environment, but speak out about ways to improve, and it’s like your forming a coup and they gang up on you. Staff favouritism. They claim to look after their staff and pride themselves on being a times top 100 company to work for, yet when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, they’d rather keep it than pay you a respectable redundancy. They claim to have a ‘family vibe’ but in reality you have to be popular to get into the ‘family vibe’ to even consider being treated fairly.

3 people found this review helpful

Holiday Extras Response

Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. I was very sad to read some of your comments and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you further so I can get a better understanding of your experience and what we can do differently in the future. I was particularly sad to hear your comments about working in the Contact Centre. The team is a highly valued part of our business and we strive to create an environment where everyone can feel empowered to express themselves openly and contribute ideas to how we work. To your point about some of the difficult decisions we’ve had to make recently, please be assured that these were in direct response to the fast and unexpected changes Covid brought to the travel industry. They are not something we would have done otherwise. We are however, extremely conscious of the enormous impact it has had on our people during this very difficult period of change. Like many businesses, we never saw this coming and have lost some amazingly talented people who offered huge contributions to our culture and business. As with any period of change, we tried our utmost to support everyone with compassion and dignity during this time. If you have specific ideas on what we could have done better, please reach out to me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com. If I don’t hear from you, I want to thank you for your contribution to Holiday Extras and I wish you all the best for the future.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Disappointed is an understatement

Dec 21, 2020 - Delivery Manager in Gillingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are fantastic, atmosphere and knowledge is second to none. Flexible working and ability to be heard at senior level is regular.

Cons

Well what can I say I worked for a company I loved for 16 years. I did not have a performance review for the last 4 years yet I was selected for redundancy based on certain criteria. I asked for a copy of this which I never received. On multiple occasions I specifically asked how I was measured against others and was told “it’s just a score” so I still have no idea why I was made redundant. I asked if there was a review process or how I could take this decision higher and was told that’s it. My manager hasn’t spoken to me since my redundancy meeting and has not reached out to thank me for years of service or asked how I am. Just being a human being wouldn’t have gone a miss. To top it off the CEO sent me a card to thank me for all the hard work and I was in meetings with him every week and my name was wrong. This made me feel very appreciated so thank you. I am not angry at being made redundant I appreciate this needed to happen to save a business I cared about. The treatment and hostility I experienced throughout the process was horrific and I was shown no care throughout.

5 people found this review helpful

Holiday Extras Response

Group People Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are really pleased that you feel the people, atmosphere and knowledge at HX is second to none. We love having a flexible and engaging environment for the team to work in. We’re really sorry that after 16yrs of hard work and commitment you left feeling this way. This is of course not the experience we pride ourselves on creating for our people. Thank you for your understanding surrounding the need to reduce the size of the team, it was an incredibly difficult period of time, with so much uncertainty and we know we asked a lot from our people whilst we navigated our way through. The process for selecting individuals for redundancy is incredibly difficult, especially when we’re losing fantastic people. It wasn’t something we wanted to do and worked hard to create a process that was both fair and respectful to our team. We’re sorry you found this experience difficult and felt you didn’t receive the support and care you needed. If you would like to discuss the scoring and criteria to better understand why you were selected please do email me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com so we can arrange a time to chat this through. Travel continues to be disrupted, but we have a great strategy to drive growth for the future and Matthew is keen to see as many people back working in the team as possible. I want to thank you for your contribution throughout the last 16 years. I wish you all the best for the future, if there is anything you need please do get in touch. We’re supporting those that have left as much as we can with CV advice, interviewing techniques and if any new roles become available at Holiday Extras we are speaking to HX Alumni first.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Feb 18, 2021 - Travel Agent in New Delhi
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hoping for best job oppurtunity

Cons

Good experience working with the company

Viewing 1 - 10 of 109 Reviews