HotChalk Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Larry Lenhart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Enrollment Specialists of your choosing and make sure you meet the HR personally (if she decided to show up that day)" (in 6 reviews)

• "Boardroom political behavior trickled down to senior management causing them to believe they could deceive and mistreat employees" (in 5 reviews)

1. "My Favorite Job Of All Time"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very "start-up environment" where you can take ownership and drive positive change, very flat hierarchy - CEO's office is an open door!

Cons

Getting those changes to happen sometimes requires a long "buy-in" process. Change happens, slow but steady - organization could be more "nimble"

Advice to Management

Keep on the path you're going and continue to drive the success the finance team has plotted out. The sky is the limit. Keep the door open for me to boomerang someday please!

"So much wasted promise"

Former Employee - Consultant in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many innovative ideas but no follow through. Early inventor or LMS, OPM, and once had biggest daily hit rate in Education across the Internet.

Cons

Squandered investment many times over

Advice to Management

Too late

"Terrible Place to Work"

I worked at HotChalk full-time

Pros

A pay check and benefits

Cons

Political and emotionally charged decision making with no regard for doing what's right for university clients and their students.

Advice to Management

Do 360 reviews of your leadership team

"Horrible place to be very stressful environment"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they paid well that's IT

Cons

couldn't leave desk the was to worried about schools leaving and you didn't know if you was going to have a job from day to day and week to week. Won't be around long.

Advice to Management

FIRE THEM ALL

5. "A Good Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very flexible, fun environment, non-profit schools enrollment.

Cons

hard to say right now

"Student Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Student Services Advisor in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Student Services Advisor in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping students is always a plus.

Cons

-cliquey culture
    -Too much uncertainty with layoffs, you will never know if you have a job or not from one day to the next
    -Felt too much like a sales job and not actually advising students in their best interest

Advice to Management

Do not play favorites

"Enrollment"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay and a pretty central location.

Cons

Poor leadership that is pretty clueless to the tools employees need to be successful. No plan in place with little to no support. The culture has turned to one based on fear.
    Leadership will say one thing, but something else is going on behind closed doors. Seemed to be a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul in leadership. Also complete overhaul of systems. Simplify them in order to allow employees to be successful.

"Inadequate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The facility was nice and spacious.

Cons

Incredibly unorganized. You'll get no where working here.

Advice to Management

Stop throwing people under the bus for your own negligence.

"Circling the Drainpipe"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company I started with had great values and effective business practices. They were focused on solutions and had sustainable methods that would have brought the CEO's dream to fruition. That all changed in 2014

Cons

In 2014, under pressure from an impatient Venture capital board, the original CEO and founder abandoned his original business model for a turn and burn operation. This led to the cycling of multiple Executives attempting to will profits into existence with job lifespans of roughly 2 quarters before they "moved on" to better things.

The current entrenched management has no accountability for their impressive ability to fail at everything they try. Namely the sketchy Alumni Liaison program for Concordia University Portland meant to students into lead generators by providing incentives such as iPads and paid trips to Portland for graduation etc.

Communication across all channels is watered down at best.
    Every Partner (School) is disappointed with Hotchalk
    Constant threats to your job under constant changing guidelines
    EEOC violation cesspool
    If you interview for the Enrollment Specialists role ask to speak to 3 random Enrollment Specialists of your choosing and make sure you meet the HR personally (if she decided to show up that day).

Advice to Management

Like it matters

"Wish I had more positive thoughts..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was blessed to have great direct supervisors during my tenure at HotChalk and they were the only reason I didn’t quit earlier. Co-workers as well, there are a lot of good, intelligent people working at HotChalk.

Cons

Let’s start with the pay structure at HotChalk, it’s just not fair for a lot. You’ve got people who have been employed years longer, have more company & client/partner knowledge and in higher positions than others making tens of thousands less. Some people are outrageously overpaid for the work that they are doing (or not doing). They also gave part of the company raises in January and the rest, um…yeah, still waiting.

There is no motivation anymore, no one seems to have a sense of pride working there. I know I lost mine. What happened to employee reviews & goals? How about having something as basic as an attendance policy? If someone doesn’t come to work for more than a week, or is taking off every Friday, never working a 40-hour week, not coming back from lunch – they aren’t getting in trouble or written up – those are the people getting huge salaries and the ones getting promoted.

HR – they had the audacity to change their name from HR to People Services? They were never helpful, always demeaning, never in the office & a clique of mean girls. Sending out a company wide email announcing the retirement of one of them, like anyone would care, and to still have her on for “consulting” when she’s supposed to be retired is something else. But stay consistent, she never worked when she was employed anyways.

In the end, I was sick of hearing that “I was valued” and “We need you” over and over, but that wasn’t resulting in any pay increases, promotions or really anything. I was tired of working crazy hours, nights and weekends, forced to take the laptop home every night, being flexible and making sure the work I did was quality to the best of my ability– I like to think I have a decent work ethic and that was motivating me to work so hard, but when you start to feel like it’s being taken advantage of, it's time to go.

Advice to Management

Bring back employee reviews, have basic employee expectations – I can’t believe there isn’t an enforced attendance policy, find out who’s contributing by doing quality work, working hard and who’s just keeping a seat warm. If HotChalk wants to show value those who never show up, depend on others to do their work and don’t even try I wish you luck, but start looking at your employees! Reward the ones working their tails off and take a hard look at those not even trying to learn the basic aspects of their job.

And get rid of those in upper management who should retire or stay retired, while I believe much of upper management are decent (some really great), those bad ones stick out like a sore thumb and make the whole group look horrible.