HotChalk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Larry Lenhart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Goes to great efforts to ensure compliance and create a welcoming, collaborative, and friendly work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great pay, Targets aren't unreachable (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Enrollment Specialists of your choosing and make sure you meet the HR personally (if she decided to show up that day) (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover, very hierarchical, everything goes by manager's way (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good people, good intentions"

Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young company, lots of area to grow, lots of opportunity to make an impact to the greater business as a whole. The people are some of the most brilliant, encouraging and empowering leaders I have ever had the pleasure of working with. This team IS the right team in place simplify & grown this company. If you have the pleasure of working with these leaders, do not squander a moment of opportunity they provide for you!

Cons

Too much change in upper management which changes the direction of the business frequently. 2016-17 has seen a lot of downsizing and a change in CEO.

Advice to Management

The half-empty office space is low for morale. Save some head-count by reducing square footage.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Hotchalk is a great company and was a lot of fun to work with. What they do as far as Enrollment goes is pretty exciting.

Cons

Main downfall would be hiring the wrong people for management.

HotChalk Response

Aug 8, 2016 – Senior Director HR

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel about your time at HotChalk.

"Student Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Student Services Advisor in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Student Services Advisor in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping students is always a plus.

Cons

-cliquey culture
    -Too much uncertainty with layoffs, you will never know if you have a job or not from one day to the next
    -Felt too much like a sales job and not actually advising students in their best interest

Advice to Management

Do not play favorites

"Inadequate"

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The facility was nice and spacious.

Cons

Incredibly unorganized. You'll get no where working here.

Advice to Management

Stop throwing people under the bus for your own negligence.

"Circling the Drainpipe"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company I started with had great values and effective business practices. They were focused on solutions and had sustainable methods that would have brought the CEO's dream to fruition. That all changed in 2014

Cons

In 2014, under pressure from an impatient Venture capital board, the original CEO and founder abandoned his original business model for a turn and burn operation. This led to the cycling of multiple Executives attempting to will profits into existence with job lifespans of roughly 2 quarters before they "moved on" to better things.

The current entrenched management has no accountability for their impressive ability to fail at everything they try. Namely the sketchy Alumni Liaison program for Concordia University Portland meant to students into lead generators by providing incentives such as iPads and paid trips to Portland for graduation etc.

Communication across all channels is watered down at best.
    Every Partner (School) is disappointed with Hotchalk
    Constant threats to your job under constant changing guidelines
    EEOC violation cesspool
    If you interview for the Enrollment Specialists role ask to speak to 3 random Enrollment Specialists of your choosing and make sure you meet the HR personally (if she decided to show up that day).

Advice to Management

Like it matters

"Wish I had more positive thoughts..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was blessed to have great direct supervisors during my tenure at HotChalk and they were the only reason I didn’t quit earlier. Co-workers as well, there are a lot of good, intelligent people working at HotChalk.

Cons

Let’s start with the pay structure at HotChalk, it’s just not fair for a lot. You’ve got people who have been employed years longer, have more company & client/partner knowledge and in higher positions than others making tens of thousands less. Some people are outrageously overpaid for the work that they are doing (or not doing). They also gave part of the company raises in January and the rest, um…yeah, still waiting.

There is no motivation anymore, no one seems to have a sense of pride working there. I know I lost mine. What happened to employee reviews & goals? How about having something as basic as an attendance policy? If someone doesn’t come to work for more than a week, or is taking off every Friday, never working a 40-hour week, not coming back from lunch – they aren’t getting in trouble or written up – those are the people getting huge salaries and the ones getting promoted.

HR – they had the audacity to change their name from HR to People Services? They were never helpful, always demeaning, never in the office & a clique of mean girls. Sending out a company wide email announcing the retirement of one of them, like anyone would care, and to still have her on for “consulting” when she’s supposed to be retired is something else. But stay consistent, she never worked when she was employed anyways.

In the end, I was sick of hearing that “I was valued” and “We need you” over and over, but that wasn’t resulting in any pay increases, promotions or really anything. I was tired of working crazy hours, nights and weekends, forced to take the laptop home every night, being flexible and making sure the work I did was quality to the best of my ability– I like to think I have a decent work ethic and that was motivating me to work so hard, but when you start to feel like it’s being taken advantage of, it's time to go.

Advice to Management

Bring back employee reviews, have basic employee expectations – I can’t believe there isn’t an enforced attendance policy, find out who’s contributing by doing quality work, working hard and who’s just keeping a seat warm. If HotChalk wants to show value those who never show up, depend on others to do their work and don’t even try I wish you luck, but start looking at your employees! Reward the ones working their tails off and take a hard look at those not even trying to learn the basic aspects of their job.

And get rid of those in upper management who should retire or stay retired, while I believe much of upper management are decent (some really great), those bad ones stick out like a sore thumb and make the whole group look horrible.

"Deplorable culture."

I worked at HotChalk full-time

Pros

Employment..I cannot say the employment is stable.

Cons

In the 3 years under the employ of this company, I have witnessed racism, nepotism, bullying from leadership and "professionals" who have the power to fix the issue.

In every corporate meeting held at the Tempe office, the executive leadership make up remains the same, no diversity-all talent are caucasian men/women. With a company who has access to limitless talent, you can only find one particular group to represent your organization? I worked with some awesome colleagues who have more experience, expertise than the existing leadership team. One colleague in particular was a high ranking, successful executive for a well known financial institution. Another colleague successfully led enrollment TEAMS at another institution. Nothing will change until ALL leadership, including Mark Zinselmeier, are released of their duties.

If you sincerely care, open your minds to diversity, changing your deplorable culture. In order to change whats wrong, be open to actively listening. The reviews are, in fact true. Address the issues to change the culture

Advice to Management

Fire yhe entire leadeeship team and start over

"Terrible"

I have been working at HotChalk full-time

Pros

They offer you employment and have decent benefits.

Cons

No vacation policy. Fractured management more interested in selling company and making a fortune than living up to mission.

9. "Better than Most"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New management has great business sense (new CEO, CFO, CMO and SVP, Admissions).
    Benefits are great for this size company.

Cons

The layoffs were necessary as you can tell by the lack of English skills demonstrated in most of these reviews. You need educated people to sell education!

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep employees motivated in spite of the laws which dictate no incentives can be used to reward employees for their performance.

10. "enrollment advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good company culture and employees made the place great

Cons

lack of transparency in regards to company shift