HotChalk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Larry Lenhart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Goes to great efforts to ensure compliance and create a welcoming, collaborative, and friendly work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great pay, Targets aren't unreachable (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, very hierarchical, everything goes by manager's way (in 5 reviews)

• Boardroom political behavior trickled down to senior management causing them to believe they could deceive and mistreat employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good people, good intentions"

Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young company, lots of area to grow, lots of opportunity to make an impact to the greater business as a whole. The people are some of the most brilliant, encouraging and empowering leaders I have ever had the pleasure of working with. This team IS the right team in place simplify & grown this company. If you have the pleasure of working with these leaders, do not squander a moment of opportunity they provide for you!

Cons

Too much change in upper management which changes the direction of the business frequently. 2016-17 has seen a lot of downsizing and a change in CEO.

Advice to Management

The half-empty office space is low for morale. Save some head-count by reducing square footage.

2. "Better than Most"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New management has great business sense (new CEO, CFO, CMO and SVP, Admissions).
    Benefits are great for this size company.

Cons

The layoffs were necessary as you can tell by the lack of English skills demonstrated in most of these reviews. You need educated people to sell education!

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep employees motivated in spite of the laws which dictate no incentives can be used to reward employees for their performance.

"Wish I had more positive thoughts..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was blessed to have great direct supervisors during my tenure at HotChalk and they were the only reason I didn’t quit earlier. Co-workers as well, there are a lot of good, intelligent people working at HotChalk.

Cons

Let’s start with the pay structure at HotChalk, it’s just not fair for a lot. You’ve got people who have been employed years longer, have more company & client/partner knowledge and in higher positions than others making tens of thousands less. Some people are outrageously overpaid for the work that they are doing (or not doing). They also gave part of the company raises in January and the rest, um…yeah, still waiting.

There is no motivation anymore, no one seems to have a sense of pride working there. I know I lost mine. What happened to employee reviews & goals? How about having something as basic as an attendance policy? If someone doesn’t come to work for more than a week, or is taking off every Friday, never working a 40-hour week, not coming back from lunch – they aren’t getting in trouble or written up – those are the people getting huge salaries and the ones getting promoted.

HR – they had the audacity to change their name from HR to People Services? They were never helpful, always demeaning, never in the office & a clique of mean girls. Sending out a company wide email announcing the retirement of one of them, like anyone would care, and to still have her on for “consulting” when she’s supposed to be retired is something else. But stay consistent, she never worked when she was employed anyways.

In the end, I was sick of hearing that “I was valued” and “We need you” over and over, but that wasn’t resulting in any pay increases, promotions or really anything. I was tired of working crazy hours, nights and weekends, forced to take the laptop home every night, being flexible and making sure the work I did was quality to the best of my ability– I like to think I have a decent work ethic and that was motivating me to work so hard, but when you start to feel like it’s being taken advantage of, it's time to go.

Advice to Management

Bring back employee reviews, have basic employee expectations – I can’t believe there isn’t an enforced attendance policy, find out who’s contributing by doing quality work, working hard and who’s just keeping a seat warm. If HotChalk wants to show value those who never show up, depend on others to do their work and don’t even try I wish you luck, but start looking at your employees! Reward the ones working their tails off and take a hard look at those not even trying to learn the basic aspects of their job.

And get rid of those in upper management who should retire or stay retired, while I believe much of upper management are decent (some really great), those bad ones stick out like a sore thumb and make the whole group look horrible.

"Deplorable culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time

Pros

Employment..I cannot say the employment is stable.

Cons

In the 3 years under the employ of this company, I have witnessed racism, nepotism, bullying from leadership and "professionals" who have the power to fix the issue.

In every corporate meeting held at the Tempe office, the executive leadership make up remains the same, no diversity-all talent are caucasian men/women. With a company who has access to limitless talent, you can only find one particular group to represent your organization? I worked with some awesome colleagues who have more experience, expertise than the existing leadership team. One colleague in particular was a high ranking, successful executive for a well known financial institution. Another colleague successfully led enrollment TEAMS at another institution. Nothing will change until ALL leadership, including Mark Zinselmeier, are released of their duties.

If you sincerely care, open your minds to diversity, changing your deplorable culture. In order to change whats wrong, be open to actively listening. The reviews are, in fact true. Address the issues to change the culture

Advice to Management

Fire yhe entire leadeeship team and start over

"Terrible"

I have been working at HotChalk full-time

Pros

They offer you employment and have decent benefits.

Cons

No vacation policy. Fractured management more interested in selling company and making a fortune than living up to mission.

6. "enrollment advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good company culture and employees made the place great

Cons

lack of transparency in regards to company shift

7. "Love working with students"

Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at HotChalk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Innovative work
    Learning a lot
    Flexible vacation and time off
    Decent training
    Nice flexibility with working from home

Cons

Work place is too cliquey
    Low pay for the area
    Supervisors pick favorites
    Too many policy changes
    Working with other departments can be hard since they are in another state

Advice to Management

Discourage workplace cliques
    More teamwork

"Enrollment Specialist"

I worked at HotChalk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits

Cons

Boardroom political behavior trickled down to senior management causing them to believe they could deceive and mistreat employees. Management at Hotchalk are under the allusion that they are worthy of happiness and success however others are not.

"Enrollment Specialist"

Pros

Great Pay and decent benefits!

Cons

Needs better leadership from management.

Advice to Management

Provide better training,

"enrollment specialist"

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at HotChalk full-time

Pros

people, pay, environment, food, culture

Cons

lack of communication with other departments

HotChalk Response

Mar 14, 2017 – Senior Director HR

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate HotChalk and glad you find so many positive aspects to the company!