Human Rights Campaign Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2020

Human Rights Campaign President Alphonso David
Alphonso David
Pros
  • "HRC is the place to be if you are dedicated to the fight for LGBTQ equality(in 12 reviews)

• "Wonderful Intern program with great brown bags and networking opportunities(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "If the news upsets you easily, you can't really escape it at HRC(in 12 reviews)

• "In addition to that, the canvassers, and especially the female ones experienced a huge degree of harassment while street canvassing(in 6 reviews)

1. "Good Place To Work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Good Environment To Work In

Cons

Very Fast Pace and Busy

2. "Working hard for a mission"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good, progressive people Great benefits and time off Great Volunteers (mostly) Great leadership Working for a mission, not a company

Cons

Long hours that often lead to 60+ hour work weeks No chance to take earned comp time off Lots of office politics that are complex and deeply ingrained No clear structures on job titles Compensation is largely based on longevity and not experience

Continue reading

3. "Good work but minimum can be tough"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

I love the cause and helping support the lgbt community. We work with amazing, and dedicated people.

Cons

Sometimes alway reaching the minimum funding goals are unrealistic. We all have off days.

"Working for Equality"

Former Employee - Associate Director of Event Operations in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HRC is the place to be if you are dedicated to the fight for LGBTQ equality. Everyone there is incredibly motivated and deeply dedicated to advancing equality - from the staff to the volunteers. The people there are 100% the reason I loved my job and stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Burnout is REAL at HRC. The hours can be grueling, especially if you are a traveling staff member. Communication down from management is few and far between and it can be difficult for junior/mid level staff to break the mold of what's been done before at HRC. Internal growth can also be incredibly difficult.

5. "Great involvement in LGBTQ rights issues, hierarchal structure"

2.0
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to get involved in fun and/or impactful activities such as pride, marches, and events.

Cons

Upper management can be opaque and very hierarchal, to the point of being secretive. Employees were seen as expendable.

6. "Huge Learning Experience"

5.0
    Former Employee - Field Canvasser

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Taught me how to start hard conversations with strangers and the strong interpersonal skills I now use everyday

Cons

Long hours and hard days, but worth it

"Overall Good"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Room for advancement on most teams at HQ. -Forces you to gain experience in communication and cross-training to learn different skill sets since most roles involve a lot of collaboration with colleagues on different teams. -Victories are celebrated which makes for a nice camaraderie and improves morale. -You'll attend occasional glamorous events like the National Dinner or have the opportunity to travel to volunteer at Pride events across the country. Well, most roles offer these opportunities. -Knowing you're working for a good cause, especially since HRC has made great strides in being more just to transgender people and people of color. -Benefits are pretty good; I really have no complaints there.

Cons

-Much of the work is reactionary based on the news (a necessity, to be fair) so the work can sometimes be unexpectedly intense. Be prepared to hit the ground running at any moment, stay very late, and be aware that some teams have on-call hours on the weekends and evenings for this reason. During election time especially, expect to have less flexibility in taking vacation time since everyone is so busy. -Because things can be so rushed, there isn't always time to plan out projects as thoroughly as you might want. If you're the type of person who likes weeks/months to complete any project, this might not be the best fit. But it depends on your role again; some projects do take a long time. -If the news upsets you easily, you can't really escape it at HRC. It's our job as HRC employees to be informed about what's happening in the country. Sometimes the work you do will relate to an issue you may be personally sensitive about. -Pay is average for a non-profit in the area so I can't really complain there, but don't come expecting to make tons of money in most roles. Even roles that pay "well" are underpaid compared to the for-profit equivalents. Just have proper expectations for non-profit compensation.

8. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule was a plus

Cons

Lacked diversity in management although did try to do good outreach

9. "Field Organizer"

Former Employee - Field Organizer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for less than a year

Pros

Valuable and important work Refine or learn management skills Learn a lot about diverse people

Cons

Very long hours for the pay

10. "HRC"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

The health benefits are alright

Cons

Diversity Remains to be a problem at the human rights campaign

Found 78 reviews