Human Rights Campaign Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chad Griffin

Pros
  • The internship program is mainly run by a wonderful staffer and your experience will largely depend on what department you work for (in 4 reviews)

• Work environment wasn't too serious (in 4 reviews)

1. "Program Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

HRC is a highly-effective non-profit organization that is results-oriented, uses the best from the for-profit and non-profit world strategies, highly-innovative/entrepreneurial and values-based.
    A great jumping off point for anyone who wants to establish themselves as a leader in public advocacy and development.

Cons

Due to organizational size and specialized experience required by most positions, upward mobility for high performers at higher levels is limited.
    The climate is extraordinarily fast-paced and unless you're someone who can thrive in that atmosphere, it can be a challenging place to work from a work life balance.

Advice to Management

The organization is incredibly focused on winning, which it should. At the same time however, it must also have a long-term strategy of investing in its people, which it is starting to make major investments.

"Stay far away from this nightmare of an organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The brand recognition - that's about it. Employers may be impressed because it's an instantly recognizable and large organization, but other than that, there are little pros if you value your worth and sanity.

Cons

Where to even begin? I worked as both an intern and full-time employee. As an intern, I was treated wonderfully. I remember junior level staff telling me about how miserable they were at the time, but didn't believe them or reasoned that it must have just been specific to their department. Nope. There is literally an office culture that encourages misery, overworking, low pay - you name it. It's disappointing as there is so much potential, but the programmatic work appears to be valued far above their employees.

I quickly realized my work and time weren't valued. I was told by my boss that because he only spent a short amount of time with his family each day, I should never expect anything different for myself. In other words, work-life balance is nonexistent. Fair enough for DC, I suppose, but being told in such a way seemed unnecessarily rude.

His personal motto was "save your own self." (He used a different word than "self," but you get the point). And boy, did HRC live up to this motto. There was so much interdepartmental fighting that it became incredibly difficult to get work done (coupled with screaming matches between senior staff in the hallways). Every department was there to "save their own self" and often times flat out refused to work with one another. This made everyone's jobs far more difficult and time consuming than they needed to be. If one department had an issue with the upper level management in another, they'd take it out on junior staff. For instance, I was once told by a senior member of the legal department that "their eight year old child could do a better job" at my position than I could. When my boss asked for an apology, the employee refused.

The high turn over rate across the board leaves massive gaps in training. For instance, I was never onboarded, given no materials from my predecessor, and didn't even have an official boss for the first month of my employment. I was left scrambling to fill in the gaps of my role while the entire department was in flux.

Who knows whether HR ever learns about what goes on. I was strongly discouraged from conducting an exit interview, something I still regret.

To top it all off - HRC, having "learned" from their missteps with certain members of the LGBT community in the past, is very conscious of putting forward a good image. This is sometimes to the detriment of their own staff. It's no fault of the employees themselves, but management chooses to sideline some staff members in order to put their "best face" out into the media. This was a complaint I heard time and time again from employees who had worked diligently only to feel they were sidelined at the end of the day.

Fortunately, I've had the pleasure to work at other places in DC since my time at HRC, and have since learned that not everyone treats their staff this way. It's so unfortunate that there is such a negative culture at this organization, as they really do good work.

Some staff are truly great, but get lost in the shuffle of a group that cares far more about good PR than they do their own employees. It's a shame and so disappointing when you truly do have some staff that care deeply about the work and cause.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Value their time, work, and input. Some departments seem better at this than others, but an overall culture where work is appreciated across the board would be helpful. I saw far more time and energy put into the happiness of interns (though perhaps this was the difference in departments) than I did the actual employees.

Likewise, include your staff in meetings when appropriate/ necessary -- shutting staff out (both junior and senior) of meetings they ought to participate in does nothing to build working relationships. It also makes it incredibly difficult to build strategies across departments or even among members of your own team.

3. "Decent Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got amazing campaign internship for the 2016 election, attend congressional hearings, and other cool events.

Cons

Unpaid work, lots of classic "intern" tasks, not a lot of enthusiasm.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns and have more meaningful duties for them.

5. "Bad time overall, they hire anyone immediately"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a good cause, some nice people to work with

Cons

Bad pay, bad hours, cult-like mentality, no knowledge that a canvasser is a human

6. "No room for advancement"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

The people you work with are truly amazing and beyond dedicated to HRC's mission. The connections you build while at HRC are truly worth it.

Cons

No room for advancement across much of the organization creates a poor culture among younger staff who have been there for 2+ years. A lack of turnover at higher levels impedes organizational development.

Advice to Management

Increase professional growth and training opportunities for staff at an assistant/ coordinator level. One must create incentive for young talent to stay or else they will leave, creating high turnover within the most moldable individuals.

7. "Depends on the person"

Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

Pros

You get to see the city you get to see it while collecting money.

Cons

Boring work standing for eight hours, depends on the person. Not for me for sure, getting paid minimum wage is too little.

Advice to Management

Pay more minimum wage not enough

8. "PC Analyst"

Former Employee - Applications Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Applications Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign (More than 8 years)

Pros

They had a great benefit package

Cons

There was no cons i can think of

9. "Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good brand name to have on your resume.

Cons

Senior management undervalues their staff and the skills they bring to the organization. Career advancement opportunities have been severely restricted due to funding and the organization is increasingly becoming irrelevant in the LGBT community.

"Proceed with extreme caution"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great for a one year entry-level position right out of college
    - Strong brand recognition
    - Comprehensive benefits

Cons

- Lack of growth opportunites or investment
    - Low employee morale and high turnover
    - Very little diversity
    - Non-competitive salaries

Advice to Management

Clear communication, transparency, and fostering a culture of encouragement and professional development would do wonders for staff morale and reduce turnover. Also, requiring all supervisory staff and executive leadership to take management and diversity training.

11. "HRC"

Former Employee - Field Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good work if being done.

Cons

Extremely hard and extremely stressful