IAC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Joey Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • in addition, there continues to be a huge lack of communication between different teams (in 5 reviews)

• Short term thinking by upper management (in 8 reviews)

"Good 9-5"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Oakland, CA

I worked at IAC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally the work atmosphere was all right; developers were pretty smart and interesting people and our team had a great dynamic. At the time we were transitioning from Java to NodeJS.

The benefits were absolutely excellent. Unlimited vacation and sick can sometimes be a red flag for people, but myself and my team mates NEVER had an issue taking a vacation, as long as we planned accordingly.

Cons

Raises were few and far between at best. I rarely saw my team mates (or myself) ever receive promotions.

Advice to Management

Reward your hard workers. You will lose many engineers if you choose to skip annual raises or promoting your best and brightest.

2. "Poor Management"

I worked at IAC full-time

Pros

Sometimes they would cook for you.

Cons

Management doesn't listen or seem to really care about their employees

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to your employeea

"IAC Applications"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at IAC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and PTO, great office space, intelligent coworkers

Cons

No long-term vision or plan, erratic direction from upper management, lack of career development programs

Advice to Management

Set a long-term strategy for growth and success and stick to it. Dismantling and reassembling teams so frequently is disruptive and counter-productive.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at IAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Met great people, worked on challenging problems using lots of data, fast-paced environment, great work space with snacks, beverages. Awesome exit package!

Cons

Many silly products, just about making money quickly/dirty, no vision, no synergy among companies (The CEO explicitly said he's against it)

Advice to Management

They never listened to anything, so no advice to give

5. "IAC Applications Product Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people.
    Fancy schmancy offices in Chelsea and Yonkers.
    Perks (summer Fridays, unlimited time off, diversity/inclusion projects, tuition reimbursement, etc, etc).
    The biggest pro is that you can learn about and run A/B tests, work with good data analysts.
    Not really a cut-throat culture, pretty much everybody is committed to doing their best and wants to make the products better.
    I’ve worked at other medium-sized software companies and this one’s the most stable/sane.

Cons

Product is not exactly “sexy” but the the process and transparency issues have improved noticeably in the last year and teams are now open to using the latest tools and methods that they weren't before.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at IAC full-time

Pros

I have been working here for over a year, after having worked for large publicly traded companies and small family owned businesses. I truly find this to be a place where you are able to innovate, where you can build your career, work with intelligent and insightful colleagues, all while enjoying the work you are doing. At all levels, the staff are encouraged to grow the business and are given the freedom and responsibility to dare to try. It is difficult at any company to obtain a work/life balance that is enjoyable to all, but with perks such as unlimited PTO, ping pong, complimentary food and snacks, IAC Applications provides an environment to get work accomplished while having fun. The company is always finding an occasion to have a party as well, and just recently we had a Kid’s Day that allowed our children to see what we do, play games and even to learn some coding.

Cons

Sure, like all companies there are issues. The same issues that plague all major companies, but I think the company has been trying to decrease many of those issues with increased communication, clearer business goals and an overall increase in people and product quality. Also, every company is driven by P&L to a point, it’s what keeps us a company. Companies measure a division or products profitability because it’s just good management. But that is not the primary basis upon which, in my opinion, anyone is held accountable for their decisions, or we would never enact current strategies that look beyond P&L interests.

Advice to Management

To those that have written negative reviews, I have to assume you have probably not worked at many companies or are new to the working world. As another post stated, if you don’t like it then leave – but trust me – you will be sorely burned if you think that another company will cure your negativity and resolve all of your issues.

"To the trolls..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks.
    Smart people.
    Lots of investment in people.
    You'll learn a lot about direct marketing.
    You'll sharpen your analytical skills.

Cons

Dining options in Yonkers are limited.

Advice to Management

This is more a response to the trolls who claim to be current employees but are so extremely critical of the company. I'm a current employee, and I'm NOT being asked by management or HR or anyone to write this. You'll just have to take my word for that. This is not a propaganda post, this is my opinion and my opinion only. I'm just sick of people complaining about a company which I think is far, far better than many of these reviews give it credit for.

Is life here perfect? No. There are flaws for sure. But on balance it's a great place to work, and it's a company which genuinely cares about its people, and which - if you have the right attitude - will teach you skills which are really hard to find elsewhere.

So to the author of the "Run, run away" review below (and others like it), I have a question... if you genuinely hate it so much, and it if really is THAT bad (which it isn't, it's good), why don't you get some self-respect and just quit? Stop undermining the work of your colleagues, many of whom have been here a long time and really care about what they do. People up and down the company are constantly trying to improve things from many angles, and it's sad that you are unable to recognize that.

Product quality is slowly but surely going in the right direction. Management seem to be trying to be a lot more transparent. I agree it's not always perfect, but it's way better than other places I've worked at. Ditto recognition... there's an effort to give people the recognition they deserve.

Seriously, many other jobs are available, so if there are genuinely no positives about this company, I'm just surprised you are still here.

Either that, or you are pimping out the best years of your life for some free snacks and summer Fridays... and if that is the case, then you may want to have a long hard think about what your long-term priorities really are. I wish you luck.

8. "Manager , Software Engineering"

I worked at IAC full-time

Pros

Good Work Life Balance, Good Perks

Cons

Not a lot to learn , Not very Dynamic

"Avoid this place! (For IAC Applications)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks
    Close to Chelsea Piers
    Close to the Highline
    There is a 20 word minimum under PROs but I ran out of examples so I am just typing words.

Cons

Where do I start?? This place is hard to take seriously. Everyone valuable has left or is in the process of finding another job or has already been laid off. The majority of management is a joke. Also if you look through these reviews you will notice some random glowing reviews and one petty one "to the trolls." I am PRETTY sure those were written by HR. That is the manner in which they deal with problems.
    (Look at the reviews under Mindspark Interactive. The company name changed to IAC Applications but they never updated the name on Glassdoor so people have been writing reviews under here.)

"Us "Trolls" - LOL - Silly Rabbit"

I have been working at IAC full-time

Pros

Nice office in Yonkers, some great people here (including the trolls), summer fridays and flex schedule, maternity leave.

Cons

Same old products, dependency on Google, chasing the next fix to stay ahead of Google and Browsers, management oftentimes clueless on soldiers on the ground and what we do.

Advice to Management

Advice, don't know if I have any that hasn't been said. While it's impressive that we have a diversity club and other events, reality is that people are still unhappy. To the poster earlier about "us trolls" here for a job, yes, many are and some are leaving without one but apparently you were one of the few that got promotions, so good for you! For the rest of us, the comfort of a good paycheck, good schedule and decent job is good enough, even if we have to put up with people like yourself who play like they are better than everyone else, yet smile to your face.

As for management, show your faces on the floor more, no one ever sees you. It will do wonders.
    As for HR and Debbie, keep the show rolling, we have faith, well most of us do.