IQPC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Rick Worden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You learn a lot about sales very quickly (in 9 reviews)

• Fantastic work culture and great people to work with (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, low salary, high turnover (in 25 reviews)

• Fast paced - not necessarily a bad thing but if you cannot handle a fast pace environment or are not self motivated this may not be the best fit (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great way to get into or grow in sales."

Former Employee - Manager, Commercial Delegate Acquisition in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Commercial Delegate Acquisition in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IQPC offers many opportunities for those with a strong work ethic and passion for sales. This is a great place for entry-level sales people to develop their skills and seasoned professionals to join senior teams. You will be walked through everything (CRM best practices, sales templates, objection training, etc.) in detail. Management strives to set everyone up for success through onboarding and ongoing training.

Success is rewarded with promotions to senior teams and opportunities to take on more responsibilities. There are also opportunities to transition to other departments such as marketing or production after getting a good sense of the industry and finding your passion.

IQPC offers a great work-life balance but you need to be self-motivated and okay with a fast paced environment.

Friday happy hours and lasting friendships are common because of a younger workforce full of amazing and personable people.

Your direct manager will always go to bat for you and have your back.

Cons

Base salary can be higher but additional compensation opportunities are always being implemented.

Advice to Management

Focus on rewarding and retaining good talent.

IQPC Response

Mar 30, 2018 – HR Director

We are very gracious for the excellent review and really appreciate your taking the time to write it! It is great to read all of the positive things you have to say about your time with IQPC... More

"GOOD company"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning. Happy to be a part of

Cons

Low salary package and friendly enviornment

Advice to Management

Better payscale

"Conference Producer"

Former Employee - Conference Producer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in Tampa, FL

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IQPC Exchange in Tampa opened great doors for me in the end, but I worked hard for that. In my role as conference producer, I made valuable connections with C-suite executives that I carried with me when I left. There is tons of value in their outreach strategy using LinkedIn. I built my network to more than 4,000 highly influential connections. I got to travel to a lot to cool places and meet some of the most influential people in my vertical in the nation. My fave get was def the CFO of Starbucks and my entire team celebrated that as a win. Now everyone knows who is posting :) It’s critical to pull value out of your daily interactions, otherwise you walk out the door with very little. I made some great friendships along the way, but we all had similar pain points.

Cons

It seems to me that, across the board, pain points were similar with all employees. There is an extremely high churn rate (turnover) because it’s a hard sales company and our tactics are often perceived as sleezy and spammy. You might reach out to 100 people and get 1 reply. So be ready for that! You have to be focused and you have to go hard every day. I believe if you can make it at IQPC for six months, you can make it anywhere. You learn to push hard and harder until you create a product that will achieve a good return.

A huge pain point for me was the lack of schedule flexibility. Producers on the sales floor often need research and writing days, but we are grouped in with sales teams that are spending hours cold-calling so the environment can be noisy and distracting. We begged for writing from home days, but there is no flexibility in that area. Great lack of consistency. For example, of the four producers on the floor, two of them had LinkedIn tools being paid for by the company and the other two did not. But that was all hush-hush. You can imagine that we all talked and that created some drama amongst team members. It was not tied to performance because I was a top producer yet the company did not wish to pay for my outreach tools. No reason. No consistency. I guess they figured I didn’t need them.

Very little formal training upon arrival, and that almost led to my demise early on. I was put on a crappy project and struggled because there was no real training in place. Also, I managed another team member and was promised a base salary increase of $5,000 that never, ever happened. That meeting kept being pushed further and further out until that new hire eventually left. I trained her for free for three months and it shouldn’t be that way. That felt a little bait-and-switchy to me. Above all, at the end of the day, I did not feel valued by upper management. Craig Lehmann was a really great boss, but his boss ... I struggled with. I felt like I brought a ton of value to this company, but when I put my two-weeks notice in professionally and respectfully, I was told to leave by noon that SAME DAY — a really unprofessional move that cost me my last pay check. They asked me to reconsider leaving the company, to stay as a producer, and when I declined, I was shown the door! As a single mother, I really, really needed that last pay check. I did so much for this company, just to have them show me the door and treat me like crap as soon as they knew I was leaving. I asked to stay because I truly needed that last check to cover my bills, and I was told they didn’t really want me on the next pay roll.

Additionally, this company gives Exit Interviews, but I never got one, I guess because they rushed me out so quickly. Lots of inconsistency and my last day at work left me with a very negative impression. Mainly because I needed that last pay check and always tried to do the right thing. They, however, chose not to do the right thing for me. That experience could have been so much more positive. PS: NEGOTIATE hard up for your base salary because once you’re in, you won’t get a raise and may not get great bonuses if you have crappy sales teams on your projects. Also, no matter what happens, if things don’t sell well, it is always the producers fault even when it isn’t. When we sell well, accolades go to everyone BUT the producer. Every producer has reported a similar experience.

Advice to Management

Your number one priority should be to HONESTLY value the people working for you. Respect us in meetings, behind our backs and daily. I lost all confidence in upper management when a co-worker reported back to me that our executive director used me as an example of how not to run a meeting. In that specific meeting, he showed up late and misunderstood what was happening. He then took that mis-information to his own meeting and talked about me behind my back to a room of employees training for management positions. That was when I decided I needed to probably find an exit strategy. It was hurtful and very poor for morale. We all struggled with that type of stuff. I hope my comments are helpful. They are both transparent and truthful. Employee-centric companies that are not scared to disrupt their working model and that respect and value their employees will win in the end. Lots of potential at IQPC Exchange but again, I was screwed out of my last check and I’m still catching up because of that so that experience definitely painted a poor impression upon my exit. Had that not happened, this review would have certainly taken a different turn.

4. "Delegate Sales"

I worked at IQPC full-time

Pros

-Opportunity to learn about various industries.

Cons

-VERY low pay
    -Lack of communication across departments
    -Unprofessional, dirty environment
    -No transparency with upper management
    -Everyone is constantly lying

I will keep this brief. I worked at IQPC for almost a year, which turned out to be the hardest year of my life. This job was heavily focused on meeting numbers and daily KPIs, which gave me severe anxiety. Sales is something that we control to the best of our ability - I can't really do anything if someone didn't pick up the phone or respond to my email! I constantly felt as though I could never succeed at this job because expectations were ridiculous. I received minimal training upon starting, thus having to fend for myself, and ultimately did not start hitting numbers until MONTHS after my start date. Management is highly unprofessional and only cares about numbers, not about the employees or their teams. As a fairly easy-going and hardworking person, I would not recommend this toxic environment to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider how you conduct yourselves with your employees.
    Please actually have someone that cleans the office - I constantly had allergies here because of DUST.
    Please stop hyper-focusing on the numbers - this is a fundamental reason why you lose good employees fairly quickly.

5. "Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sales Training is one of the best; It covers everything from initial contact to different styles of closing.
    - The division's leadership, Chris Ritchie, is world-class / Has phenomenal people skills, will build you up as a person before trying to make you a top performing employee
    - The potential to succeed is there, but despite glassdoor reviews, you need to have the leverage/patience/ability to withstand your account building process to last in the business
    - Exit Opportunities are good: If you have a good skillset built already; What you learn here will mold you to become a better version of that. Tough environment, but rewarding - Diamonds are rocks that were pressurized..
    - Mentorship: Again Chris is a rock-star / Able to lead on a global scale / Superb EQ/IQ and will work on you to become the best version of yourself.
    - Future is looking bright given the direction

Cons

- Pay could be better to avoid talent getting poached
    - Organizational improvements/investments are necessary to bring the company to the tipping point they are aiming for
    - Large gaps in the quality of the workforce - Most people are either great at what they do or bad / The in-between are difficult to find

Advice to Management

- Earmark funds to invest in top employees early; If they are viewed in the same manner a client is, it is easier to retain; grow and maximize output from them
    - Continue with pushing for higher quality culture, performance. and organizational management and reap the benefits with more quality hires / This should be supplemented with strategic decision making at the highest level.
    - Churn and Burn strategies should be avoided at all cost / especially in such a well-connected economy.

IQPC Response

Mar 30, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for writing this review. Really appreciate that you took the time as a former employee to write it, so thanks again. We hear you regarding organizational improvements / investments, these... More

6. "Great Place To Begin Career. Long Term Option Only If You Want To Be Entry Level For Life"

Former Employee - SPEX Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SPEX Representative in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to begin your career. They are very hands on with training on a near daily basis. Great people to work with. It is a very young office and just about everyone gets along. You will learn great skills like market research and time management. Best of all you build a great network in various sectors that include VPs and Directors at massive companies. Chris Ritchie is the reason I took the offer and is also the reason I stayed for as long as I did. He really is a one of a kind Director. It was a pleasure working there.

Cons

10000% High pressure role if you are in SPEX. (If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen)

Employees are sometimes pushed too hard which can lead to burn out.

Some poorly produced events make it harder for SPEX reps to sell on them. In the case that we were able to put money on the events, it was hard to retain clients due to lack of delivery on the event.

Micromanagement

Some favortism towards certain cliques from management

Advice to Management

1. Don't let a SPEX rep go to an event that is expected not to deliver alone to face the music from clients. Be there with them just as you are there at successful one's to receive all the praise.
    2. Remember that your employees are humans not robots. They have lives and stresses and you must keep that in mind during your interactions with them. Don't burn them out.

"WORST COMPANY EVER!"

Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at IQPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess being able to say you have a job?

Cons

everything.. terrible management, culture, office space, compensation, morale.

"Inside Sales"

I worked at IQPC full-time

Pros

Starbucks next door, an hour lunch.

Cons

Everything. Can't compete with similar companies.

Advice to Management

Be more professional

9. "Amazing people to work with"

Former Employee - Business Development
    Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork and got to learn and research about recent trends

Cons

Lack of transparency and support from the manager and management moving forward

"The worst conference company on earth."

I worked at IQPC full-time

Pros

Gives you connections to other companies so you can quit and get a MUCH better job.

Cons

Most expensive events that do not care about the attendees, content, or retention rate, only about what money is going into their pockets. DO NOT WORK HERE, unless you want to die a slow stress induced death. Absolutely not worth it.