Improving Reviews | Glassdoor

Improving CEO Curtis Hite
Curtis Hite

1. "Best Place To Work"

I have been working at Improving full-time

Pros

Management that cares and listens
    Significant investment in culture and people
    Ability to grow - "promote from within" happens a lot
    Tons of non-standard benefits

Cons

Advancement paths seem to require you to invest more in yourself although the company does a pretty good job of supporting that

Advice to Management

Make sure you pay attention to the culture as you continue to grow. Keep up the open communication. Oh, and I love the office in Plano!!

"Best Company I Personally have worked for"

I have been working at Improving full-time

Pros

* Company Values: it appears that management and employees really strive to live the corporate values. While it would be difficult for anyone to meet every value on a daily basis, there sure does seem to be a commitment across the board to establish trust, do your job with Excellence, and be involved in the company, community, and industry.
    * Leadership Cares. Ive been at the company a while, and the leadership team has never turned me down when Ive asked to talk or wanted to provide feedback. For those at the company that might read this and haven't tried, reach out to the most senior leaders. I was pleasantly surprised
    * The people are great. We care about each other and its obvious. This requires just a little effort on each individual to connect, but when you do it is well received. In addition, the caliber of person at this company is well above anything I have seen at previous employers.

Cons

* Sometimes the company requires you to take initiative to get full value out of what Improving has to offer. I missed this when I first came on board. Any way you could encourage us earlier?Or help us see what we are missing out

Advice to Management

* Would welcome more at client visits from my direct management
    * Don't get discouraged by constructive feedback. You've made it really easy to communicate which sometimes invites constructive feedback.

3. "After more than a year, there is still little I can say that is positive"

Current Employee - Agile Transformation Coach in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Agile Transformation Coach in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Improving (More than a year)

Pros

I've met a couple of solid professionals who work for the company as consultants.

Cons

I've had issues with the integrity of management at this company from day one. They did not disclose working conditions (like three unpaid weeks per year), failed to understand the equipment they asked employees to buy (that actually could not be used at the target employer), most importantly they simply don't accept or understand feedback.

Advice to Management

Find a way to branch out beyond all the same people who've been together for years in management ranks. It takes more than beer pong to lead a company.

Improving Response

Nov 7, 2016 – CEO

While Improving does not get this type of feedback often, we take it very seriously. For many leaders, it would be easy to justify dismissing input of this nature because of the infrequency that we ... More

"Awesome company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbus, OH

Pros

Small company great salary great benefits

Cons

Communicatin is bit slow and consultants are are bit disconnected from management

Advice to Management

Automation of pto requests. Concentrate on business value

"Open and Caring"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Addison, TX

I have been working at Improving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Improving provides a place to learn and grow. There are so many opportunities to contribute to the community and receive a lot of learning as well.

Cons

Limited focus on which industries to participate in. Also, thoughts of delivering consultation to the non-technical side of an organization seems to me missing, but there are plenty of consultants who can fill that role.

"Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

A lot of experience with many types of clients and projects in a short period of time. Plenty of opportunities to develop diplomacy and get experience in many areas across the company. There are a lot of motivated people who are happy to share their expertise. Flexibility in the employment model to work as a contractor or as an employee.

Cons

Due to full-time engagements with clients the people at the company are distributed and it is challenging to know the team members in the enterprise. Everything "extra" is on the employee's own time. There is A LOT of competitiveness that is fostered in how things are setup and people are rewarded -- instead of fostering a culture where people work together and are rewarded for the team's achievements individuals are encouraged to compete which is a disincentive to collaborate and communicate.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Improving does agile coaching and needs to follow the same principles that Agile supports: individuals and interactions over processes and tools -- encourage a collegiate team environment by rewarding the team and encourage the team to collaborate rather than compete. Trust the employees by sharing information --> transparency. Invest in people by actually supporting them rather than throwing people into situations they lack the skills or experience to be successful at.

"Great people, okay opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - Vice President in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Addison, TX

I worked at Improving full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture in spades, very high talent bar, you gain lots of experience in a very short period of time.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth once you hit principal level. Fixed salary bands are really limited.

"Improver for Life"

Former Employee - Agile Coach in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Agile Coach in Dallas, TX

I worked at Improving full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees at Improving are the best I have seen in the industry. High company engagement with really great consultants. Company trips to Vegas every year, company outings and family activities, thirsty Thursdays, and tons of user groups. I would hire just about anyone who has Improving Enterprises on their resume - they are just that good! It was an honor to work here.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive in the consulting market place - we always lost consultants who wanted more money. Not much opportunity for salary increases.
    Training and conference to increase consulting skills were paid for by the consultants out of pocket. PTO had to be taken to attend training or conferences. Made it hard to invest in continuous growth as a consultant.

Advice to Management

Management is very open and transparent. Very supportive of the staff. The ethical behavior of management created an environment of respect and family. I will always be an Improver.

"Great place for starters"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

- Working with smart and talented people.
    - Rich culture and high spirit, you can feel it every day!
    - Most of the improvers are passionate about what they do.

Cons

The Salary is below the average! Also it is really hard to get promoted. You might get Bonus but it is not consistent.

Advice to Management

To keep the awesomeness you need to reward the talents and give them what they deserve!

"I am surrounded by very smart people with a culture of learning and mentorship."

Current Employee - Vice President of Consulting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President of Consulting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Improving full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture
    Great friends and co-workers
    Challenging problems
    Good advancement chances

Cons

Salary and Compensation are below market ( barely, but below ) for very high end talented people

Advice to Management

Think about raising the compensation to keep the great people we have.