In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Rothbard

Pros
Cons
  • low pay, not a lot of room for advancement, all about the members (in 7 reviews)

• minimum wage raises we'll be at the same pay (in 6 reviews)

1. "Kc attendant"

Pros

A great place to work! Awesome atmosphere,great management and benefits also you get a free membership

Cons

I can't find any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work

2. "In transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time

Pros

Fun industry filled with employees who try their best. Most gym employees genuinely want to help people get healthier.

Cons

Company is in major transition. They've turned over most of their executive team, reorganized, and changed the compensation plan so many times. Benefits are terrible-limited and expensive.

3. "Kids Club Lead"

Former Employee - Kids Club Lead
    Former Employee - Kids Club Lead

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved picking the girls I worked with and having free range to implement my own ideas into Kids Club.

Cons

The hours of Kids Club were difficult. A lot of miscommunication and lack of professionalism in management. Management never took employees seriously unless they were favorites. Very hard to contact higher up supervisors with big issues.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are hard working employees. Chose management carefully and make the average employee feel valued so they will be more communicable when things are great or tough. *Loved my job but I did not love who I did it for.

5. "Group Exercise Instructor"

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Visalia, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, you can work more than scheduled members are great and hard working. Fitness instructor coworkers are awesome to work with, staff is friendly.As an employee you get a free membership. Family at a discount . But still not cheap I pay $170 a month for my family to attend platinum club.

Cons

As a group exercise instructor you are underpaid. It does not seem fair that new instructors come in making almost the same amount as an experienced instructor with more certifications and higher skill level. I have been working at Inshape for over 7 years. I have only had one raise and one performance evaluation. In that department management and corporate is lacking.

Advice to Management

New gyms are coming to Visalia. I recommend that you start paying attention to this department. Also you need to compensate for past years, for non raises and performance evaluations. IN Any gym the group exercise Department is why you have 80% retention of members.

6. "Group Fitness Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Visalia, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, opportunities to work more hours than scheduled. Fun and welcoming working enviroment.

Cons

Need to give performance reviews more often.

7. "front desk"

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time

Pros

gym membership, chill staff, laid back enviroment

Cons

management sucks, housekeepers do not clean the club, pool and spa area are always down due to lazy staff

Advice to Management

train or hire better employees for lead positions, they are ruining this club because they are high everyday they come in.

8. "Not bad"

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time

Pros

I had a splendid time working with all staff. The members and staff made my stay here great.

Cons

The upper level management is what caused this stay less memorable with strict and hard quotas to make.

Advice to Management

Understand the demographic of the area before even creating quotas.

9. "Membership Advisor"

Pros

free gym membership, easy work

Cons

mundane job tasks, sales job

10. "Excellent executive management"

Pros

This was a great place to work. The executive management truly cares about it's employees.

Cons

Some middle management was not as responsive or caring toward their employees and those departments often has unhappy employees and high turn over.

11. "MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR"

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Capitola, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Gym membership and 1 hour lunch breaks! Great motavational employees and helping people get fit is a great thing to do!!!

Cons

Managment has always been wishy washy, sometimes it's good but other times its a pure headache. Communication is very poor - alot of the time I don't get needed information until the last moment or after it's too late. The pay scale changes every 3 months and the hours are not the best at all - being at work 9 hours a day takes up all your free time.

Advice to Management

Train the mamnagers on how to manage a team and be supporting of that team, be more constructive criticism is lacking - I am the longest lasting sales person at my location but I'm being treated as if I'm a new employee. I rarely get congratulated on my achivments and if I do its a good job and nothing more... if I make a small mistake or one of my numbers are low they pound on that for a whole week. there is no balance. and Stop changing they way we get paid every 3 months it's not fare at all.