In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Paul Rothbard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If not hitting goal you are making minimum wage while working full time (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance does not exist but pretty consistent with the fitness industry (in 4 reviews)

1. "Yoga Teacher"

Current Employee - Yoga Teacher in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Yoga Teacher in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Front desk checks in all members so group fitness instructors can focus on teaching! Free membership for employees. Paid sick hours.

Cons

Some members do not have proper gym and/or class etiquette. In-Shape could post more signs and verbal reminders of what’s acceptable behavior.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Management is supportive and communicative.

2. "Great place to start"

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time

Pros

Community and positive work environment

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

3. "Love what I do"

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Stockton, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching the classes
    Working out with the members and building relationships with members who will come to your classes every week, follow you to different clubs, and show you their progress.
    The group fitness team- other instructors are really supportive and will come to each other's classes, practice new choreography, etc
    Easy hire process
    Fun
    Large sub network so your class can easily be covered if you're sick or something comes up
    Flexibility

Cons

Scheduling- when a class becomes popular, instead of offering it another night because there is interest, they schedule a competing class at the same time, and you end up with two semi- full classes with less energy, instead of 2 nights of high energy, popular classes.

Equipment intensive classes will be scheduled back to back when it's impossible to put everything away/ get everything out on time, and you're the one apologizing to the members every week "Sorry, they should be out any minute. "
    Maintenance can take a long time- broken microphones, always out of batteries, missing locks
    No designated place to log your hours, so after class, you check all of the computers, which are either being used or are signed out with a password you don't know, and you wait until they finish with clients. It's always an inconvenience. Plus, the amount of boxes you need to fill in is ridiculous for a 1 hour class (why do I need to fill in 3 rows of code 0? Why do we need to enter set up and clean up codes when that could be automatically filled in because everyone does that? If they didn't, they would just enter 0 in the time columns anyway. I should be able to input the same 1 row of pertinent information that used to be in the binder
    Unchanged pay, even with a degree, multiple authorizations, experience, etc, you'll make the same as a new trainer who doesn't even hold a basic national accreditation yet

4. "Personal Trainer"

Pros

-Free Gym Membership. Access to all In-Shape clubs across California. Gyms are usually stocked with the latest equipment, with the larger clubs having indoor/outdoor pools, hot tubs, TRX stations, etc.

-Rewarding Position. You have the opportunity to change lives and inspire individuals to get in the best shape of their life.

-Occasional free continuing education seminars offered. Free education included TRX courses, program design, and trigger point/myofascial release.

-Flexible schedule. You make your own hours.

Cons

-Overstaffing

-Nepotism

-Gossip

-Terrible Benefits

-Tier-based hourly wage (the more sessions you train each month, the more your hourly wage is...read further for more details)

My biggest gripe with the company is that personal trainers are treated as expendable at best. It was discouraging to study for hours everyday for 6 months for my NASM-CPT, enticed with a salary of "up to $28/hr", only to receive a maximum of 10 hours worth of clients due to the client base being spread so thin.

At the club I was working, there were up to 8 personal trainers servicing less than 250 hours of clients per month...if you do the math, that amounts to about 30 hours PER MONTH. This is, I assume, to prevent trainers from maximizing the tier based hourly wage. Instead of getting $28/hr, which requires at least 25 hours per week of clients, most trainers are being paid less than $18/hr and working around 7 or less hours per week. One poor girl didn't receive a client until a month after being hired. Unfortunately, they were still onboarding personal trainers despite their current staff starving for clients.

While one might argue that you can increase your client base by simply selling more personal training, only 2-3 trainers are allowed to sell personal training on the clock, and this is often subject to favoritism from management. I was suggested at one point to work off the clock in order to sell training, nevermind the fact that the manager's friend and side-piece were being fed clients left and right and were allowed to sit down and gossip on the clock. While I could have approached HR about this, I decided instead that my time with the company was done at that point, considering that trainers from surrounding clubs had similar issues. As soon as I put in my notice, my clients were being called and scheduled with other trainers.

I have additional issues with the way the personal training department operates, but I don't want to turn this into a complaint rant. Rather, I just wanted to point out a few major issues that I feel candidates for the role should know before signing any paperwork. I have recently began working for another large-chain gym and am currently servicing 30 hours of clients with 10 floor hours per week with several long-term career options, 401k with match, insurance (Kaiser), two weeks of paid vacation, and 5 sick days. Definitely consider applying elsewhere.

Advice to Management

-Offer more floor hours to trainers. It is unacceptable and illegal to ask someone to work off the clock. Or at least offer floor hours to new trainers over those who already have an established client base.
    -Change the pay structure to prevent managers from overstaffing to keep labor down.

5. "Membership advisor"

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment and free gym membership

Cons

A lot of stress

6. "Membership Advisor"

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership with employment

Cons

- Always understaffed
    - Management doesn’t account for your availability
    - “sales staff” not really appreciated.. you repeatedly get told ‘sell me more, sell me more’ rather than being told you’re performing well. Very much a ‘what have you done for me lately? attitude’

Advice to Management

- appreciate your staff
    - pull your weight. Stop dumping additional responsibilities and tasks on the staff without first being an example

7. "Ever changing system"

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment
    Co workers
    Benefits

Cons

They restructure their business every year and take away positions people were working to get to.

Advice to Management

Find a business plan and stick with it

8. "A Positive Door that Closed"

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Growing, Evolving, Branded, Passionate about their members. People Development Plan, Transparent Bottom Up Organization

Cons

I do not have any at this time

Advice to Management

Truly understand the skills of your leaders. Keep it going this organization has the opportunity to be GREAT.

9. "Commpany that Cares"

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been in Fitness for a long time. The culture at In Shape is Very Different. In Shape prides itself on creating an environment that is the 3rd place!

Cons

The GM can change the entire energy of the club. If the GM is not happy the whole club can feel it.

Advice to Management

Need to improve the on boarding process. More time needs to be spent with new hires.

10. "sales advisor"

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time

Pros

fast paced easy to learn

Cons

not enough pay bad hours