InFocus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob O'Malley

"(State College Office ) Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in State College, PA

I worked at InFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Good work environment and values
    * Strong salary and benefits that beats any similar employer in this area
    * Employee freedom and independence (self-management required)
    * The company is willing to invest in acquiring/building teams
    * A lot of trust is given to employees that prove themselves
    * With proper leadership the company could have tremendous growth moving forward

Cons

* There is room for improvement, as there is with any successful company
    * Vision and strategy of the business could be better articulated to employees

Advice to Management

* Continue investing in top-notch employees and stay connected with them

"stay away from this company..."

I worked at InFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jupiter Systems was a great company to work for. The founder/CEO did really take care of his employees: took the employees to ski resort and Christmas dinner every year. Benefits were excellence too, free healthcare, unlimited 401k matched, profit sharing every quarter, flexible working hours.

When Infocus acquired Jupiter Systems, things went south. The only good thing left is flexible working hours.

Cons

This company fired people without hesitant, they cut benefits like they care about its employees. Low moral, high turnover rate as a result.

Advice to Management

like they care...

"From amazing to toxic..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I worked at InFocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jupiter Systems was a privately held company run by ethical founders who believed in employee welfare and profit sharing. The company used to take employees on ski vacations for free in the early years. Until the last year of acquisition by InFocus, employees had a phenomenal benefits package with 50% matching on 401K. That should tell you all about the integrity and compassion of the original leaders.

Cons

In late 2015, it was bought out by InFocus... and the situation is akin to what happened to Winterfell in "Game of Thrones" when the Boltons took over...

Advice to Management

Please...like they care!

"Dead End"

Former Employee - Support Technician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Portland, OR

Pros

My Schedule was flexible within reason and the hours did not falter. Other staff is readily available for assistance, you will never be high and dry.

Cons

The management is very afraid of clients and allows them to break policy with little or no resistance leaving the agents looking pretty bad. Upper management pays little attention to this department and employees are often forced into doing the work of their superiors, it is actually somewhat of a company policy. You will be told about amazing opportunities and promised quick advancement however that is a fallacy, if you are good at your job you will be ignored and overlooked for promotion.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Boalsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Boalsburg, PA

I have been working at InFocus full-time

Pros

The work/life balance is great. As long as you are getting your work done and are available for meetings, the schedule is quite flexible to accommodate personal and family needs.

I work for Boalsburg, PA office and cannot imagine working with a better more professional group of people. Interactions with the other InFocus offices have been very positive as well.

Benefits quite competitive with other companies in the area.

Cons

At certain points, the project management and communication was somewhat lacking but thanks to the hiring of a few new higher level managers, these issues seem to be getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep going in this positive direction.

"Great people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boalsburg, PA

Pros

I was a co-worker of the "Utterly Terrible" reviewer, and I'd like to offer another perspective as I disagreed with some parts of that review. I'm not in management or anything, just commenting to offer a more balanced perspective.

I'm not sure what the part about regular hours being from 11 to 7 or 8 was about. Hours were the most flexible I'd ever had at a job. The only thing I've been told about hours is to try to be available by 10am so we could schedule meetings, but there's no restriction on coming in early and leaving early if you're into that. Also, this job was one of the two most respectful of my time I'd ever had. I'd never been asked to work late or work on a weekend, which came up regularly at previous jobs.

I'd never once felt that I'd been condescended to. When I'd had concerns, my manager had listened respectfully and given me a thoughtful reply. I had on occasion had disagreements with management about where I should be putting my efforts. Sometimes we changed direction based on my feedback, and other times we've proceeded with the original plan, but I always felt like my feedback was valued and considered.

I strongly disagree about finger-pointing, no one taking responsibility. I made it a point to try to take responsibility and not point fingers, and I see the same from my colleagues. The Boalsburg team in particular is a high-trust team, but I've had similarly positive experiences when working with other branches.

One other pro is that they offer a hefty amount of PTO per year.

Cons

There had been challenges dealing with the engineering aspects. Some of the code we dealt with was written by contractors, and it's not up to the standards I strive for. But I see the tide turning on this- there was recently a new hire into a senior management for engineering position, and she is identifying these issues with our engineering process and working to turn them around.

Regarding the engineering, I see this as a rebuilding time for the company. There's a lot of interest in improving the engineering processes, especially from the new senior management engineering hire. If you have experience in improving engineering processes and/or leadership, or if you want to work at a place that needs someone who is willing to step up and learn to be an engineering leader, this is a place where you can make a name for yourself, and you will be supported.

One other con is that they do not offer time off for paternity leave, though this is offset somewhat by the generous PTO that every employee gets.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the engineering aspects of the company. Continue to empower new leadership that is working to make this company great.

"Utterly terrible"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boalsburg, PA

I worked at InFocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at the Boalsburg, PA office are all great people and I enjoyed interacting with all of them.

Cons

I didn't have any idea that "regular hours" meant everyone works from 11 to 7 or 8. I'm an early riser so I was always out of sync with everybody else. I didn't realize how much of their work was outsourced, and how much resistance I'd get to wanting to try to help fix the messes they had. I also didn't expect to be condescended to as much as I was, but I was.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging people. Stop assigning people to tasks for which they have no interest or ability. Let people volunteer to help where help is badly needed. Stop lecturing people that they are not good engineers. Stop telling people they are doing poorly at their jobs. I don't think I knew what it meant to be "disengaged" until I worked here and I've been working for over 8 years now. Congratulations InFocus, you taught me what disengaged means. Utterly, utterly terrible company. Everyone points fingers at everyone else, nobody takes responsibility for anything and when someone VOLUNTEERS to take responsibility for a mess, they are told "no." Only when management is disobeyed (which, I saw a bold co-worker do) does anything productive EVER GET DONE.

"Great brand trying to reinvent itself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at InFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand recognition. Realizes it needs to expand into new product categories as historical market is slowly shrinking. Has some inventive products to do so. Great people in the sales organization, many of whom have been there a long time.

Cons

Expanding into new product categories where customers and partners aren't familiar with the brand can be a big challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in marketing and selling new technologies.

"It's a pretty good environment, the pay is good for entry level, and there is strong encouragement to self improve."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at InFocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're increasing in size right now so it's a great time to apply.
    There is a wonderful training environment, where you are encouraged to take on extra duties as they suit you to enable you to move up in the company, since the support center is viewed as the entry into the company. There are many employees in engineering, IT, sales, and management, who started in the support center.
    If you want extra hours, overtime is allowed and since it's paid by the hour that can be a nice pay bonus.
    Calls are recorded and can be marked as good/bad by customers, but your job is not dependent on statistics, and the manager takes into consideration whether a bad review is a teachable moment or something the agent has no control over.
    The management is open to suggestions, and if you repeatedly have good suggestions you might find yourself being promoted.
    There is a great nerdy environment and relaxed attitude between employees when not on calls.
    There is no script or dialogue you are meant to follow, just to find the customer a solution for their needs.
    Your pay is not dependent on commission, because there is none.
    Every agent gets to take a projector to use at home in order to get more experience with the products, and we get to play with the bigger products like the MondoPads at work.
    If you ever get stumped by a customer's issue, you're encouraged to go grab the model from our library and give it a try yourself, learn about the product and its capabilities and find the customer a solution. This is great for me since I'm a hands-on learner.

Cons

The HQ, where the support center is, is in Tigard.
    The repair center is outsourced and customers hold us in the support center accountable when their repair takes too long.
    As with any call center there will occasionally be someone who calls in who had a bad day and decides to take it out on the agent. The management is understanding and supportive when this happens, and encourages you to walk it off or take some time before getting back on the phones.
    The computers and office equipment like chairs that we are provided are not the most modern, but we do get two monitors.

Advice to Management

Create pay increases between level 1, level 2 and level 3 customer support representatives. A new title and advanced duties don't mean much when they're not accompanied by a raise.
    A nice area to relax after stressful calls or when on break would be nice. A coffee/lunch area is fine, but it's not very inviting without a comfy couch or armchair.

"Professional yet casual."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at InFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation was excellent starting out.

Cons

Prospects of a raise were dismal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, maybe focus more on career pathign.