InGenius Prep Reviews

Updated May 24, 2020

3.3
InGenius Prep CEO Joel Butterly
Joel Butterly

"Great place to work - intense but fun"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Counselor

I worked at InGenius Prep full-time

Pros

Dynamic, fast growth, transparent, exciting

Cons

intense, lots of work, can be stressful

InGenius Prep2020-01-13

"Shady and Dishonest"

I have been working at InGenius Prep part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and rewarding work,

Cons

Ingenius violated our contracts by lowering everybody's pay. Workload has not decreased. They misappropriate funds to the point that it is borderline embezzlement.

InGenius Prep2020-04-22

"Meh"

1.0

I have been working at InGenius Prep full-time

Pros

My co-worker are really great. Everyone is very willing to help each other.

Cons

Transparency is an issue, "Leadership" is vague about what is happening in and with the company. There isn't any reward system from management. Bonuses, I've heard, have gone down or are non-existent. I have also heard people's contracts have changed with no warning. The workload and expectations are very different from what the job description read. I have interacted with some management that acts as if they are "high and above" you. Not happy hear, but given the economy, No real HR, so you don't have anywhere to send complaints and feel protected about it. Very afraid to get fired or reprimanded if I were to be honest about my feelings to my manager, my manager would absolutely go to Leadership and not keep anything confidential

Continue reading
    InGenius Prep2020-04-18

"Little organization and communication"

Current Employee - Graduation Coach

I have been working at InGenius Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

Seemingly successful company, seems like better experience for full-time staff

Cons

As a remote and part-time employee, it was incredibly difficult to know who to contact for what and/or to feel prepared for student calls. I was thrown into a call with a new student the same day I was asked if I have capacity to take the student on and then expected to lead the call despite never having worked with a student before. They're charging students/parents obscene amounts of money to work with counselors like me who have little to no training. I was genuinely interested in the work and disappointed with how "business-like" the company treated such a special and unique time in students' lives. Additionally, they very clearly over-hire for remote and part-time roles. I was only ever given one student to work with (in my 8 months with the company) despite reaching out several times to ask for more. I would not have signed up to work with them had I known that was the case.

InGenius Prep2020-02-11

"Unreliable - contract can be changed at any moment, any company often favors clients over its own employees"

Current Employee - Former Admissions Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at InGenius Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote position allows travel and somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

So many clients; China-based students must meet early in the morning EST, but then EST-based students must meet at night, after their school activities so meetings can start at 7:30am and end around 10pm; So much pressure to please families that it detracts from the job

InGenius Prep2020-01-27

"Wonderful place to work but a difficult job"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at InGenius Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a substantial amount of flexibility here and ability to interact with an international base of clients. The start-up environment is fast-paced, hard-working, and welcoming to all populations of people! Very understanding and kind management, a place where you feel listened to and heard no matter the job position you hold. The New Haven office is beautiful, new, and overall has the most incredibly people to work with. Many resources are available if you feel confused, and everyone will jump to your side if you need assistance. Health benefits and bonuses are available. This is an incredibly competitive company to have on your resume, as they have won several fast-growing awards and the management is spectacular and constantly changing to cater to both it's audience and employee base. Management is truly one of the kindest I've seen in a professional environment. Understanding and flexible to your personal needs, and they with voluntarily cover for you in an instant if need be. Truly amazing, goodhearted people, open to feedback and welcome it.

Cons

Difficult hours - this is not a 9-5 position, and this role requires logging in daily due to protocols and an expectation to adhere to difficult timezone issues (China +12-13 hours from EST) with sensitive timelines. The hours that you're expected to log in are daytime, and again in the evenings, in addition to Saturday morning and Sunday (less than an hour for weekends, but required). Without a solid day off, this leads to burn out and stress, especially in the busy season for this role (summer). Constantly adding new things to the role. This is a start up, and with an understandable change and flow to the environment and new challenges, this role has a steady job description in addition to seemingly random tasks assigned that it appears no one else wants to do. These are usually small, but if you don't have organizational and prioritization skills, it may be stressful for yet another thing to your plate. No direct line of growth for this specific role - this position is currently the only one in the company, with no foreseeable growth opportunities. Holding a state degree (CCSU) in this role did not allow me to excel past it to a new opportunity, as most other departments hold more prestigious degrees as is the ideology of the company. However, this felt lonely at times and was discouraging, which primarily is the reasoning my position ended. I did not foresee ability to get into a different department past this, which was frustrating.

Continue reading
    InGenius Prep2019-12-18
  7. "Nice people to work with"

4.0

I have been working at InGenius Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, nice and smart people to work with

Cons

still a Startup, still growing

InGenius Prep2019-06-04

"Not a good place for work"

1.0
    Former Employee - N/A

I worked at InGenius Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxing work environment -- lots of overwork on the other hand

Cons

No career development -- you are assigned to more and more work but don't get paid for that. Your abilities are wasted there because they only promote people who listen to them.

InGenius Prep2019-07-06

"Consultant"

4.0

I worked at InGenius Prep

Pros

-great pay and compensation -flexibility and independance -mission

Cons

-not a lot of structure -clunky digitial portal

InGenius Prep2018-11-02

"Fantastic Place to Work"

5.0

I have been working at InGenius Prep full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

InGenius Prep offers employees amazing opportunities to challenge themselves and develop professionally. Hard work and talent are routinely rewarded, and leadership takes every employee's suggestions and concerns seriously. Very interesting and dynamic workplace, lots of opportunities for travel, and awesome coworkers.

Cons

International offices across several time zones require occasional early morning / evening meetings and calls.

InGenius Prep2018-09-14