Indeed Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Indeed CEO Hisayuki Idekoba
Hisayuki Idekoba

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance never a question when you are working for Indeed" (in 64 reviews)

• "They also have great events and happy hours for you to get to know the other employees" (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lead generation is archaic and completely unorganized" (in 21 reviews)

• "Making 60 calls a day wasn't for me but if you can do this with no problem then it is a terrific place to work" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced, great team of people to work with"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Indeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ability to work with the latest processes, tech stack and tools.
    - Each team member brings a wealth of knowledge and the overall learning is immense each day
    - Autonomy in engineering teams

Cons

There are no major cons, in my opinion.

"Good company, nice perks"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

• free breakfast and lunch
    • unlimited vacation
    • happy hours

Cons

• not really any cons

"Like a mediocre boyfriend"

I have been working at Indeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Most people (there are a few random super pretentious people)...yeah

It is a great place to learn, try new things, and have a good time. I still recommend it, but not for anything long term.

Cons

Have you ever dated someone you saw so much potential in, but he repeatedly let you down and broke your heart, and you began to realize there were actually much better guys out there? Working at Indeed is like that.

I joined Indeed, excited about the growth and what the culture appeared to be. Every relationship has that make-it-or-break-it point at 2 years. I should have seen it then when the promises of transparency and "commitment" to diversity and inclusion had yet to be realized, but I toughed it out because I loved Indeed and I wanted help it win. That was dumb.

After spending more of my best years here, more promises have gone to the wind, and when asked about said promises, leadership acts like they don't know what we're talking about, gaslights us, or gives us Trump-like responses (combining random words in a sentence that, together, mean nothing at all).

Moving internally is more streamlined than I've seen at most companies. This is coupled with pretty decent professional development and educational perks to make a successful transition. However, when people move from roles that are typically in a lower salary range to one in a higher salary range, their salaries are rarely adjusted. It seems like a ploy to get cheap labor.

We're an HR company and we can't figure out how to do HR well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Companies are looking to us for answers and we should be able to provide solutions, but HR has every excuse for not innovating internally. Instead, HR talks about "matching" other companies. We should be a thought leader in HR. Other companies should not be teaching us how to do this. Sad.

I've been turning down advances from other companies, with the hope that Indeed would one day get its act together and show appreciation for me and all the other employees who are fighting for it. The perks, Open PTO, WFH, and professional development budget were nice, but other companies are offering me that and can actually communicate. They tell me what my salary range is, don't make excuses for not hiring qualified women and minorities into senior leadership, and actually let go of people who are incompetent and/or make others feel uncomfortable to the point that they don't want to show up to work (read: harassers, sexists, homophobes, racists, and the like). The fact that Indeed can't let go of people who are actually negatively impacting value is very strange to me. Like, you're a business and you're losing money and productivity for these people.

I've sort of enjoyed the time we've spent together. I've heard this from experts over and over again, but I didn't listen. I put my money on potential rather than steps toward action or even a real plan. Never again.

Indeed, I'm breaking up with you.

Advice to Management

Stop talking, and start doing. You have so much potential. It pains me to see you waste it. I want to see you win so bad, but you have to let go of the people bringing you down in leadership (namely HR, Sales, Engineering, and Product) and do what you said you would do without excuses. Also, take more risks with products. Our customers want more innovative products and they're going to buy them from the new companies that are popping up or LinkedIn.

Indeed Response

Aug 14, 2018 – Employer Brand Program Manager

Thanks so much for leaving us a review of your experience of working at Indeed. We completely agree that we have an amazing group of people here, all working to support our overall mission of helping... More

4. "unanimous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

good company, teamwork,food,friendly .growing company

Cons

privacy, benefits,management should be listen to employees idea

Advice to Management

be nice to employees,

"Software Engineer in the Austin HQ Office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Indeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been a software engineer at Indeed for more than 4.5 years.

Work/Life Balance is solid, compensation at-market in Austin, 401k match and health insurance options pretty reasonable. In-office perks are top 10% of the tech industry (at least in the Austin HQ)

Engineering managers are individually well trained. The IT department is outstanding. The Employee Experience team is outstanding. The food is outstanding.

Cons

We are a big company now. It feels like it, too. Senior leadership really needs to up their commitment to transparency, diversity, and inclusion. It is starting to feel more like an us-vs-them culture and that scares the tar out of me 😨

Advice to Management

Be more genuine. Make and admit mistakes. Be 100% honest and transparent. Try new things. Take feedback and follow through. No more empty promises.

Also, fix parking. Oh my lordy, fix the parking situation 🙏

6. "Sales"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

Great benefits, unlimited PTO, snacks

Cons

Lower pay, work life balance is hard to maintain in sales

7. "Used to be great, now just another too big company with a frat-like culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Indeed full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

food, offices, perks are pretty good

Cons

Indeed used to be a really great company, smart people, singular mission, lack of politics, but the exponential people growth has completely changed everything. The company has been permeated by people on a mission to build their own personal fiefdoms, over growing teams simply to increase their own position and influence. Decision making is dominated by politics, infighting, lack of communication. Numerous products have been rolled out in the last couple years which are blatantly bad ideas. Company is unable to determine their next big product post-Search and is throwing anything and everything at the wall, over staffing bad product ideas and contributing to the quagmire. Senior Leadership Team suffers a severe lack of diversity yet continues to hire white males into senior roles. There needs to be some serious changes at the top, particularly HR and Marketing. It's really a shame, as this used to be a great company to work for, but all the characteristics that made it great have long since disappeared. If you like goofing off all day, colleagues involved in love triangles and all kinds of inappropriate behavior, a frat house culture, and tons of drinking during the work day, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Make changes at the SLT level. What you've been doing clearly isn't working. Listen to employees. Hold people accountable. Indeed has long had a reputation as a place that will never let anyone go, no matter how egregious the behavior or how unproductive. Start acting like a grown up business, not just a fun place for millennials to play video games, goof around, and engage in inappropriate relationships both inside and outside the office.

"Great Company, Mad Benefits, Low pay"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

Phenomenal company culture, passionate people, great insight into hiring world, plethora of benefits including OPEN PTO, Life Insurance Policy

Cons

Low pay. The company pulled the old bait and switch tactics on we need a degree and yet first day of training suddenly, one is not required. Job opportunities are location dependent on your location as certain offices are just sales and support while others have everything and then some for opportunities.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subordinates. 90% of you already do so keep up the good work. Consider a pay raise since $15.32 starting is not that much for how wildly successful Indeed as a company is. Makes it hard to want to stay for LTIPS when I have a 10k more yearly offer on the table for a very similar job. Also, while displacement is not fun, encourage candidates to shadow before interviewing to fully understand better the position they are applying for.

9. "Best career move I've made"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Indeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, great internal mobility, promotes from within

Cons

Increasing amount of red tape, compensation.

10. "Good place to start"

I worked at Indeed full-time

Pros

Learned a lot from the experience
    Was given a chance to perform meaningful work, unlike most internships

Cons

80 calls a day can be draining at times