Indeed Reviews | Glassdoor

Indeed CEO Hisayuki Idekoba
Hisayuki Idekoba

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lead generation is archaic and completely unorganized" (in 21 reviews)

• "Making 60 calls a day wasn't for me but if you can do this with no problem then it is a terrific place to work" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Good company, nice perks"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

• free breakfast and lunch
    • unlimited vacation
    • happy hours

Cons

• not really any cons

"Like a mediocre boyfriend"

I have been working at Indeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Most people (there are a few random super pretentious people)...yeah

It is a great place to learn, try new things, and have a good time. I still recommend it, but not for anything long term.

Cons

Have you ever dated someone you saw so much potential in, but he repeatedly let you down and broke your heart, and you began to realize there were actually much better guys out there? Working at Indeed is like that.

I joined Indeed, excited about the growth and what the culture appeared to be. Every relationship has that make-it-or-break-it point at 2 years. I should have seen it then when the promises of transparency and "commitment" to diversity and inclusion had yet to be realized, but I toughed it out because I loved Indeed and I wanted help it win. That was dumb.

After spending more of my best years here, more promises have gone to the wind, and when asked about said promises, leadership acts like they don't know what we're talking about, gaslights us, or gives us Trump-like responses (combining random words in a sentence that, together, mean nothing at all).

Moving internally is more streamlined than I've seen at most companies. This is coupled with pretty decent professional development and educational perks to make a successful transition. However, when people move from roles that are typically in a lower salary range to one in a higher salary range, their salaries are rarely adjusted. It seems like a ploy to get cheap labor.

We're an HR company and we can't figure out how to do HR well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Companies are looking to us for answers and we should be able to provide solutions, but HR has every excuse for not innovating internally. Instead, HR talks about "matching" other companies. We should be a thought leader in HR. Other companies should not be teaching us how to do this. Sad.

I've been turning down advances from other companies, with the hope that Indeed would one day get its act together and show appreciation for me and all the other employees who are fighting for it. The perks, Open PTO, WFH, and professional development budget were nice, but other companies are offering me that and can actually communicate. They tell me what my salary range is, don't make excuses for not hiring qualified women and minorities into senior leadership, and actually let go of people who are incompetent and/or make others feel uncomfortable to the point that they don't want to show up to work (read: harassers, sexists, homophobes, racists, and the like). The fact that Indeed can't let go of people who are actually negatively impacting value is very strange to me. Like, you're a business and you're losing money and productivity for these people.

I've sort of enjoyed the time we've spent together. I've heard this from experts over and over again, but I didn't listen. I put my money on potential rather than steps toward action or even a real plan. Never again.

Indeed, I'm breaking up with you.

Advice to Management

Stop talking, and start doing. You have so much potential. It pains me to see you waste it. I want to see you win so bad, but you have to let go of the people bringing you down in leadership (namely HR, Sales, Engineering, and Product) and do what you said you would do without excuses. Also, take more risks with products. Our customers want more innovative products and they're going to buy them from the new companies that are popping up or LinkedIn.

Indeed Response

Aug 14, 2018 – Employer Brand Program Manager

Thanks so much for leaving us a review of your experience of working at Indeed. We completely agree that we have an amazing group of people here, all working to support our overall mission of helping... More

3. "Account Executive"

I worked at Indeed full-time

Pros

very good benefits, unlimited PTO

Cons

changing very quickly, will get different managers often

4. "editor"

Former Employee - Editor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Editor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Indeed (Less than a year)

Pros

everything was very very good

Cons

nothing at all that i can think of

Advice to Management

Great

"Good company that's grown too fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Indeed full-time

Pros

Some great people working there, nice benefits, well known brand

Cons

Quality and culture slipped as tons of new employees were added quickly

6. "Best Company I've Worked For Thus Far"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

-Great culture
    -Lot of autonomy
    -Great benefits
    -Flexible work environment

Cons

-Lot of moving pieces
    -Lack of accountability of goal planning

Indeed Response

Oct 8, 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks so much for leaving us a great review about your experiences working at Indeed. It's great to have you with us!

"Tossed aside with no mentoring less than a year after being hired"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Indeed full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stellar health plan, great perks as a remote employee (snacks delivered quarterly, start-up money to set up home office), even more perks at Austin (free breakfast, lunch, coffee bar, too much to list). Pay and bonuses are outstanding. Many great people working there.

Cons

I was subjected to the dreaded Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) after just 7 months at the company, then was let go a month later. Quarterly reviews are nice to gauge your standing, but I never realized how quickly you could be cut loose if you don't meet expectations in your first 2 quarters.

How did that happen so fast? Because my team was all about fast: speed was their primary focus; I was expected to code fast, and I simply wasn't fast enough. (Never mind the fact that I delivered almost zero bugs while I was there...) I never got an explanation as to WHY speed was so important, either. There were no deadlines, no imminent sales demos, nothing I could see that would demand such speed. As far as I could tell, it was all about being fast for fast's sake; in other words, bragging rights.

What was most upsetting was that I was a remote employee, and I had no direct management guidance or mentoring during my tenure. I was just expected to know how to do everything, and if I didn't know, learn quickly. I wasn't quick enough.

The atmosphere felt very unsafe. I didn't feel like I could fail, because the failures would simply be recorded and used against me in the next review. I didn't feel like I could ask for help because it would just highlight that I wasn't up to par with their standards. I was very much on my own, and for a remote employee, this is death; there is no chance for success.

I honestly question the monetary decision of investing so much money in hiring a software engineer only to let them go less than a year later, especially without any mentoring. Even after my managers realized I didn't know as much as they thought I did, they didn't see any reason to grow me into the role. When you make billions of dollars a year, I guess you can do that.

My advice to future Indeed software engineers: know your stuff before you sign on with Indeed. You won't last long if you think they'll help you ramp up.

Advice to Management

No one was invested in ME or my success at the company. Figure out a way to mentor new employees over the long term.

8. "Good Place to work"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO
    Open office concept
    Get what you put in

Cons

None really, sales role comes with typical stresses.

9. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist
    Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist

I worked at Indeed (Less than a year)

Pros

Indeed knows how to truly take care of their employees, the benefits are amazing and the staff really does try and make sure you are set up to succeed. I left the company for what I thought was a better opportunity and now regret the decision. There aren't many corporations that pay you to go on vacation or give you breakfast/ lunch as well as have parties to celebrate the department's achievements. Indeed did it all, If your looking for a career and a family Indeed is the place to go.

Cons

My department is a little bit newer, so some struggles in getting everything right. You also have to know that sales there isn't a seasonal gig, it's continuous so be ready to play every day.

10. "Alliance Manager"

I have been working at Indeed full-time

Pros

Awesome company to work for !

Cons

NO cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing !