Information Builders Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Information Builders President and CEO Gerald D. Cohen
Gerald D. Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It has a unique family environment with a great work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great products, great people and culture (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Some senior staff have a tendency to be old school in their methodology, and a bit resistant to change (in 11 reviews)

• No consideration of employees that have been loyal to the company even though there have been no raises for approximately 10 years (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happy to be here!"

I have been working at Information Builders full-time

Pros

IB has the best work environment ever. You just don't find this in this industry today anywhere else. Smart technical people, hands on executives and NO RED TAPE or politics. The product suite is excellent and innovation is constant. Oh, and the pay is competitive or above the industry scale.

Cons

Locally, we are trying to grow our partner network and that is moving slower than expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the field, we know we are a priority and being able to just call an executive directly for support and have your request welcomed is a rarity in other companies! Not here!

2. "Area SE Manager"

Former Employee - Area Systems Engineer Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Area Systems Engineer Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Information Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I retired after 20 years with this company. Three things made it a terrific place to work. #1 is the flat structure of the organization. As a field front line manager, I had access to all levels of the company, without impeding bureaucracy, including Support, Management, R&D; #2 the collegial culture of the organization, as the company is large enough to be significant but small enough that I could have working relationships with peers and others throughout the company, both North America and International; and #3 there has always been something new to learn, experience, and work with (as a technologist, this was very important). The company has a technology stack that is broad and deep.

Cons

Sometimes the company can be entrapped by its own "traditions", but I always viewed this as an opportunity in that I and others could work to implement process improvements, and get those process improvements in place.

IBI can be a bottom-up company, meaning that innovations can come from all levels of the company. If you are looking for a unilateral, top-down management style, IBI is not your place. If you want a place to make your mark, IBI affords the opportunities.

"Friendly, helpful people. Founder is cheap and won’t invest in marketing or employees."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Information Builders (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who have long tenures and will do anything to help. low stress. They have hundreds of happy large name customers. Selling to the customer base is easy. Getting new customers is a challenge. Gartner has been unfair regarding the technology for the past several years in favor of the bright, shining stars.

Cons

Nobody knows about the company although it’s over 40 years old. No marketing or name recognition. Hard to sell. There is a very limited partner network. Benefits are sub-par. They only pay $50 for cell phone — ridiculous and a reflection of the “cheap” attitude.

Advice to Management

Invest in innovative technology, marketing and a more experienced sales team

"Proud and exhilarated!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Information Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am proud to be part of such a great company and exhilarated by our renewed sense of purpose to the mission and our future.

Cons

No cons - it's a brand new day here at Information Builders.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive value with our customers, take advantage of market opportunities to increase new business, and accelerate product road map timelines for on-going product superiority.

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Information Builders full-time

Pros

There's a reason people stick around here 20-30 years - the people are genuinely nice and great to work with. It seems like a lot of changes are coming down the pipeline, but in a good way; efforts to modernize and rebrand our image, as well as investments to further innovate our products in order to put us at the top of the game.

Cons

Some senior staff have a tendency to be old school in their methodology, and a bit resistant to change.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the new positive changes.

6. "Amazing Place to Work and Grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Information Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Information Builders is a wonderful company, providing me continued opportunity to be challenged and grow over the years. The culture really does combine the energy of a startup with the knowledge gained from decades of experience in the industry. The people and the culture make it an amazing place to work. There are lot of positive changes happening within the company now to position it for continued growth. I am very excited for this next phase!

Cons

I really do not see any cons, just very excited about all the new initiatives.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your customers and employees the way you always have.

7. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Information Builders full-time

Pros

Solid Customer Base and References. Great Customer Support

Cons

Need modern thinking in sales management

"Underwhelming"

I worked at Information Builders full-time

Pros

Decent benefits
    Base pay is fair
    Friendly people in the local offices

Cons

No name recognition in the marketplace
    Not a lot of new name accounts are added each year (revenues appear to be shrinking)
    Terrible senior leadership team running the sales division (old dogs, and no new tricks)
    The technology is old
    Paper-heavy organization

Advice to Management

Goldman Sachs and the board need to replace the senior leadership team and hire a rock star Chief Revenue Officer to lead the sales team. The company should also increase their marketing budget, and do a better job supporting sales. While you're at it, find a rockstar Chief Marketing Officer, too.

"Dead End"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Information Builders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy commute. Not open plan office. Nice people (excluding management).

Cons

No career progression. Managers are rooted to their posts well past retirement age. Promotions are extremely rare. Top down management style stuck in the 1950's. You are paid to think, but your opinion isn't welcome. Work from home only 4 days a year. Health insurance is extremely expensive. Pay is low and wont get higher. Technology is antiquated. Goldman Sacks, a part owner, will probably shrink the company down to a fraction of its current size.

Advice to Management

Please stop writing fake "glowing" reviews and retire. Oh, sorry, I forgot. My advice isn't welcome.

10. "Information Builders is moving forward"

I have been working at Information Builders full-time

Pros

A lot of positive changes happening within the company. Product innovations, a more collaborative culture, and even some rebranding. I have been happy with the company for the most part since the beginning but it's nice to everyone collaborating together to make these changes.

Cons

I am very happy in my role and very excited to see what's to come!