Innovative Interfaces, Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Innovative Interfaces, Inc CEO James Tallman
James Tallman

Pros
Cons
  • Worker morale has taken a back seat to ensuring the private equity company makes their money back (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management seems to only care about turning a profit (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Doing the right things to turn the culture around"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are dedicated employees who love their jobs and a great client base! The new Executive team understands the software industry and the business changes required to become an elite software provider. The high performance culture of accountability is taking hold and our customers have noticed.

Cons

Like every company, some employees are stuck in the past and don't have the drive to improve along with the company, nor do they want to help educate the customers. Additionally, there seems to be a lack of business acumen that needs to be remedied. All fixable with a strong leadership team.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward! Change is always uncomfortable and difficult but we can tell you care.

"Great company doing good things"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time

Pros

Work with great, talented people who are passionate about the product. We are able to collaborate with co-workers around the world. Daily activity and projects are never boring. Strong measurable company goals to work toward. Professional development is encouraged. Compensation isn't awesome, but fair. Great benefits!

Cons

My mom taught me that if I can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Advice to Management

Please communicate the long game with all employees, not just the new c-level folks. Tight lips just leads to speculation and negativity which hurts the numbers.

"One step forward ..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some great colleagues, good 1st level managers, and some of the best libraries in the world, make Innovative an interesting place to work.

Cons

No pay increases, loss of experienced colleagues, unlimited time off which is not, in fact, unlimited, and some general cluelessness in upper management, makes working at Innovative much harder than it should.

Advice to Management

Here's a clue for upper management: middle management is telling you what you want to hear, not what you need to know. Like everyone else, they're afraid the ax will fall and they will be cut loose.

5. "Hard work, positive change, good people"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time

Pros

Good people who are passionate about what they do
    Pleasant work environment
    Excellent recruiting function - they invest tons of time in the candidate and making sure the fit is a good one
    New management understands new business models and has also allowed old management to focus on their strengths

Cons

Somewhat hierarchical which doesn't fit well with a software company trying to be innovative
    Silos between departments which need to come down if we are going to be enterprise class
    Boundaries are not always clear
    Culturally, the business does not appreciate a direct communicator
    There seems to be a disconnection from the senior management down to the daily operation - possibly because they are very very busy

Advice to Management

Involve stakeholders from other departments in planning, communicate, identify the processes as they are rolled out. Have a feedback mechanism.

"SO SO SO BAD"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time

Pros

Honestly not many. I guess one would be you get to meet new people all of the time because of high turn over.

Cons

So many, misguided, leadership struggles tremendously, people are unmotivated and disengaged. Customers even think we are a joke now (this wasn't always the case).

Advice to Management

They're too high and mighty to take advice. The new CEO is not a CEO. Good news is I've been recruited out of this place and will be telling them shortly. See ya!

"iii is on the right direction"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the new executive team members who came in over the past few months along with the CEO who joined in early 2016 are making the right moves to make the company an enterprise class one. A challenging environment where every one can contribute to company's success and also feel that they are making a difference to its success. It has been one of the jobs where I feel very satisfied at the end of the day over the past year and a half....

Cons

No salary increases has been disappointing

Advice to Management

Revisit the salary hikes (all expenses have increased including insurance!), keep the energy high and add more talent...

"Promised Raises, Delayed Raises, No Raises"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, friendly library atmosphere, challenging and exciting career for a librarian.

Cons

Underpaid

Promised raises effective July 17th. Fair market study was announced, raises postponed until outcome in September. Money was said to have been set aside for raises. CEO brags about growth and profitability.

Outcome of study not released in September.

October 11th, company was told merit-based increases will not be given this year. After receiving performance reviews in the first half of the year, and being told raises were coming July 15th.

Advice to Management

COMMUNCATION. This is flat-out insulting, cruel, and incompetent. We understand if the company is not profitable; but hearing the CEO brag about money, upper management talk about bonus structures, then be told 3 months after we expect a raise that we will not be getting them this year? Talk about disrespecting your employees.

"Sad lack of understanding about the library market."

Pros

Those of us who remember when the health of libraries and our customers were the primary motivation. Very few left.

Cons

Clueless executives who want to impose Dilbert management on a stable customer base. The ceo hired several old cronies with high salaries as "Chief" this and that, while the rest of us got nothing.

Advice to Management

Listen to the customers and to your employees. We were told that if the company takes care of its employees, the rest of the business will fall into place. No evidence of that to date. And I honestly think that you will just dismiss this as sour grapes. Move on Mr Tallman, you've done nothing to improve the business, just lined the pockets of your cronies and the equity partners. Very sad.

"Still suffering"

I worked at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of anything worth writing. Some reviews say unlimited paid time off (PTO) is a great benefit, but studies shows that people actually take off less time- this is a mind game. Plus, you don't build up vacation time so when you leave, they don't have to pay for any unused vacation. Did you think they actually did something for the benefit of the employees?

Cons

All Sales leadership only looks out for themselves, they don't support their direct reports, they will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat. Competition seems to be far ahead with better products.

Advice to Management

Manage yourselves into retirement.

"Lies Lies Lies"

I have been working at Innovative Interfaces, Inc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only thing I can think of are my co-workers, but those are dwindling.

Cons

We were supposed to get our measly annual raise in July. Management told us they were re-evaluating everyone's salary and they would let us know the result around August. Not sure why they had to pay a firm to do the evaluation because it's common knowledge new hires or management get paid everyone else get screwed.

In the meantime they added about 8 top level management positions (could be more) all know each other. They finally told us that there won't be any raise this year due to drop in recurring revenue because we had many customers leaving. It is true, we had lots of customers, could it be that they finally had it with a company who takes their money and don't give anything in return? Regardless, we're still making money. If not, how can we hire this many top level management positions all off-site?

Advice to Management

We're not stupid. You tell us if we don't like it, there's the door. You may get your wish.