Intelex Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Intelex Technologies President and CEO Mark Jaine
Mark Jaine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company is growing very rapidly and going through changes which might be difficult for some people to adapt (in 8 reviews)

• No ability to work from home and lacks flex-time (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Nothing worth doing is easy - but company making great strides"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

- Market leader in our segment, fantastic growth potential
    - Software helps corporate customers reduce impact on the environment and improve the health and safety of their employees - a very worthy cause
    - Significant increase in talent across the business over the past 18 months
    - Staff are overwhelmingly friendly, dedicated and embrace teamwork
    - loads of career potential for people who work hard and perform

Cons

- With fast growth comes lots of change, it can be fun but also challenging at times
    - Many reviews note exiting of some employees as new roles/people brought on (I don't think this is a bad thing as business trying to up the expectations of our talent pool)
    - Some legacy employees do not like change and seem overly negative (as evidenced in some reviews)

Advice to Management

Stay the course. The business has great potential and we have lots of great people to achieve this. Legacy staff that don't like new challenges should move on if they are not committed to building a bigger and better company.

2. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, benefits, flexibility, transparency, smart people

Cons

Bonuses are not that great.

"Limited Training"

I worked at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, very nice coworkers

Cons

Limited training considering complexity of required tasks

4. "Amazing Place To Work"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

I have had a great experience working here, and there are plenty of opportunities for the people who actually work hard and contribute positively.

Cons

Unfortunately as the company has expanded it has accumulated it's share of entitled employees. These kind of people are not be happy here, but would not be happy anywhere.

Advice to Management

The company is not perfect, but management is well aware of the the issues, they just need to be more agile at times in identifying the root of the problem and taking action.

"Miserable. Don't believe the positive reviews."

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

.Nice location
    .Certain people are great
    .Free breakfasts once a week

Cons

.'In crowd' been around company for long time running things without any understanding of the real world
    .good culture means constantly kissing up to members of the 'in crowd'
    .Key people let go and other key people marginalized
    .Latest direction pushed by ceo is incoherent and demonstrates lack of basic business skills

Advice to Management

Act like a real company, fire the clique. I so cant wait to get out of here

"Experienced Developer's Dream"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

Hi, I've decided to give a point of view from a developer, mostly because I see all the negative reviews in the past on this site and others. Maybe they were fair maybe they were not, but before I started it seemed sour grapes and turns out it is after I've seen the stack and the work environment. From a technical point of view, Intelex:

* Uses a paid, commercial ORM (good luck finding this anywhere else, most places are cheap and use open source ones with varying effectiveness). Junior/intermediate developers who haven't had much experience wont' realize how much this impacts productivity and pain-in-the-ass factor... handbombing SQL statements or worse using awful ORMs "Vietnam of Computer Science" for a few years and see how you feel.

* Has different teams specialising in mobile (even the latest mobile, React), support, business intelligence, etc., so you can move to your area of interest (good luck finding this anywhere else, to do this you generally have to switch jobs).

* Builds a framework/engine as a base for all their applications instead of one-shot deals (good luck finding this anywhere else, everywhere wants one-shot project based work... this is potentially a con for a selfish person who wants to learn on project-based work but that only works in banks or

* Strict QA controls and ISO2015:9001 certified. The ISO cert is not important, more important is there's gatekeepers keeping the codebase from being damaged (good luck finding this anywhere else most places codebase is awful... again something that juniors don't care about since by the time it's awful they run to the next job).

* Generally shields developers from salespeople / consultants / management so they can get their job done and not have to deal with client requests or short-term commitments (good luck finding this anywhere else).

Basically, I believe this company has made technical decisions that benefit itself as a business rather than individual developers. This is potentially a con, for selfish people, but it helps no one if the business goes under so management should always make decisions based on the viability of the business.

Developers who are mercenaries who want the best for themselves working on the latest greatest technology (not that Intelex doesn't have it, it has React I am mainly talking about the idea of "framework" which junior/intermediate developers generally hate because they want to make fresh every time) should go into Software Consulting, where everything is project based and decisions are made for the short term. A product company, if it's going to last, can't make things easy for developers (easy in terms of latest greatest tech all the time and/or bad decisions to benefit individuals over the company).

The negative reviews are probably from those with limited to no professional experience, who haven't seen what the rest is like yet and/or belong in a project-based work environment instead... Well good luck, hope they don't burn out and find where they really belong.

Cons

Social interaction and talking required to do job... but with all the development heading to Agile and Scrum and teamwork, this is potentially a benefit. Also, there seem to be introverted teams as well.

Potentially, if you don't have enough friends you could get laid off or fired. I see hints of that and have been warned. But honestly, that is true anywhere except huge publicly owned companies. So don't work in a small/medium company if you hate that.

If your personal technology goals don't align with that of the company, then this is an awful place to work and don't work here (if you want project-based work, highest possible salary and most cutting edge tech but that is NOT a product company that is an early-stage startup or a publicly owned giant).

Advice to Management

Hopefully React works out for mobile. If it doesn't consider Microsoft Xamarin, specifically Xamarin Forms. Developers generally hate Xamarin because it's not as widely used and doesn't pay as much on the job market, but it's .NET and as a Microsoft shop make decisions good for the long-term for maintenance, not just to attract "rockstar devs" who end up leaving the company in 1-2 years anyway (or need to be laid off because they can't do maintenance). You are a Microsoft shop, focus on that.

7. "I now understand why my job description doesn't include writing clever review titles"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Organizational Culture - I've worked at many companies who give lip service towards organizational culture, Intelex is the only company that I've worked for that actually invests in it and reaps the rewards. The organizational culture at Intelex is impressive and should be used as a best practices model for the industry. Great emphasis on work-life-balance. Great emphasis on maintaining a friendly team work environment. Great emphasis on fostering friendships with co-workers outside of the work environment.
    - Rapid Change and Growth - I have been here for 3 years and have seen at least 3 different versions of the same company. If you're looking to apply here, you need to have a personality type that can embrace that. The downside is that you need to adapt to change but the positive is that you have the opportunity to institute the changes that you want in order to make the company and your work environment better.
    - Organizational Mission - It's amazing to work for a company that is actively trying to help save lives, prevent injuries, and protect the environment. This has become something that I have appreciated more the longer that I have been working here and I can see how it impacts people.

Cons

- The managerial skills of senior management staff has been variable over the years. This is something that they are taking seriously but it will likely still be a while before we have consistent leadership from the executive team.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to your staff. I have seen way too many people, across multiple departments, with good ideas leave because management failed to listen and address their concerns.

8. "Your hard work and dedication will be more appreciated elsewhere"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great coworkers! Can't stress this enough. The people here are fantastic
    - Lots of perks for a company this size. The social atmosphere is very welcoming and friendly

Cons

- Work/Life balance is a value on paper but rarely respected by managers
    - The product itself is riddled with bugs. You'll spend a lot of time here acquiring very specific Intelex knowledge that's hard to take elsewhere
    - Company is growing by burning out their current employees. The CEO himself went up in front of the entire company during the yearly company meeting and demanded that we spend more time at work even though a lot of us are already committing so much of ourselves to the company. Shows a genuine lack of regard for the work people are currently putting in
    - Bonus structure is a joke. You can work your butt off and still see next to nothing for all your hard work

Advice to Management

You really need to talk with your employees. For such a small company it's astonishing how little interaction upper management has with their employees

"Intelex is an amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelex is a dynamic and friendly place to work, with rapid annual revenue and headcount growth that provide plenty of opportunity to gain experience, develop careers, and make an impact quickly. This company is the perfect place to work for individuals who embrace change and take the initiative to identify process improvements to present to management, who are receptive, supportive, and down to earth. Overall, the people at Intelex are welcoming with a great sense of humour and willingness to collaborate who nevertheless have high standards of performance and work hard.

The perks and benefits are also a great draw - free gym memberships and fitness supplement, plenty of company sponsored clubs for a variety of interests, many corporate-wide events (employee appreciation day, Blue Jays games, scavenger hunt, golf and hockey tournaments, etc.), and general time-off policies (5 personal days per year, half-days before long weekends, volunteer days, among others).

Cons

For such a rapidly growing and generally successful tech company, very few people in Toronto have heard it, which creates a needless hurdle when recruiting the best talent available. Management should step up marketing efforts to build the brand, through tradeshows, industry events, campus recruiting, and other outreach efforts.

10. "Intelex - Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Culture
    - People
    - Product
    - Company vision, cause, goals
    - 3 Weeks Vacation
    - Activities with coworkers outside of work

Cons

- Activities that should be billable are not
    - Bonus is not percentage of income, and does not correspond to performance/level of effort
    - Travel time is not billed to the client/internal
    - Any time off, be it vacation, sick days, travel time, stat holidays do not count towards your metrics/billable utilization