Interaction Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Barry Rosen

1. "HR Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at Interaction Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Employees have a genuine concern for one another. The Interaction Method, a facilitated approach for building understanding and agreement so that people can take informed, concerted action is a method all should become familiar with.

Cons

I choose to focus on what is good vs. cons.

"CEO"

Pros

Be part of a company that has a history of helping develop more authentic and capable leaders and managers. Learn to do things that will significantly improve your effectiveness as a worker and the quality of your personal and work relationships.

Cons

As a mission-driven and worker owned company, IA is always grappling with balancing life style and profit goals. There 's probably a way to achieve both, but it hasn't cracked the nut yet.

Advice to Management

Focus people on what the company does best --deninstrating the power and transferring the skills of collaborative action. Use the good will of thousands of satisfied clients to get new business. Practice what we teach in all ways.

"A Great Time for Us"

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time

Pros

It means everything to me that we have never wavered in our passion for our clients and their challenges. I am so excited to be in IA at this moment as we focus on two parallel priorites: 1) Continuing to deliver solid value for our clients and 2) Turning our passion for the work into even greater impact in the world. What a blast--renewing our intellectual capital as we grow our next generation of practitioners.

Cons

We are emerging from a period in which some of our people, most notably at the leadership level, were out of alignment with our deepest values and our tried-and-true methodology. The trick is to hang in there to put things right, and we have.

Advice to Management

Barry, I am so glad you have come back to shepherd us through our next phase. You seem ready for the challenge. All you have to do is follow the guidelines we have been teaching the world--the guidelines that you helped create.

"Strong momentum and growth builds under new direction"

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time

Pros

A new CEO whose values and approach are aligned with the company's collaborative philosophy has created a congruence that was sorely lacking for the last few years. The company has more than 40 successful years and tens of thousands of fans. As we get our internal house gets back in order, the future is brighter than ever.

Cons

Although very positive, the changes in top leadership have created uncertainty. We are settling into a new way of working. As we get our bearings, there is a learning curve that can create discomfort. We have more influence on what we do and how we do it than we have in the recent past. This can be disorienting as we adjust to this enhanced level of empowerment.

Advice to Management

You have significant support. Stay the course. Use Interaction Associates' models, tools and techniques and you will be successful. Communicate regularly. Be open to input.

"Pitiful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office space in Boston and my check has never bounced. There are some great people here. The IT department have all left. Some people are trying to turn things around.

Cons

Bad place for parents and minorities to work due to harassing behavior of some employees - thankfully a couple of harassers have left but not before the minority employees left, one of whom was verbally attacked by her manager on her last day of work.

I think we've had 4 HR managers in as many years and sales management is apparently impossible. Other people who have been here forever "the true veteran" you read about below don't do anything, make no real contribution to the company anymore, just hanging on to their "laurels". One of the two executives finally got fired and will be leaving soon as a result of several inappropriate relationships with female coworkers. For years he has abused power and used manipulative tactics to get things done to his liking.

Low pay. Stagnant IP. Low morale. Poor financial management. A couple of female employees have been "punished" for having children - one was demoted, the other criticized for not working more hours. Even some of the male employees with young families are criticized for leaving on time at the end of the day. A lot can depend on who "likes" you vs. your actual contribution to the company. A couple of people who were productive and well liked disappeared without explanation.

Some of the company's long standing employees make life almost impossible for new people with they jabbing, critical "feedback" rather than helping others succeed they assist in failure and nit -picking. They don't want anything to change and ironically they teach clients how to do just that! For as many nice and hard working, dedicated people there are, there are an equal number of crabby, needy, demanding brats who think nothing of dissing people and make everyone feel "less than".

Advice to Management

If people don't "walk the talk" and do what we teach our clients to do, get rid of them.

"High hopes, dashed after a short time in the reality of this company."

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time

Pros

Lots of good (though slightly out of date) intellectual property. Some good talent in the facilitator pool.

Cons

Environment is gossipy and out of control. Employees can't trust the managers to keep confidential information. Punitive and toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Show the employees you're listening and cut or discipline the managers who are breaching the trust of their staff.

"True Veteran... 15 Years +"

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company where you never have to 'check your personality at the front door'; issues, financials, successes, challenges, are all 'on the table' and visible 99% of the time. Impeccable, proven IP. Smart, committed, kind-hearted, ethical colleagues, loyal customer base (over 85% repeat/referral), beating industry averages for growth over the last 3 years; fully employee owned ESOP -- everyone 'owns' a piece of the pie; fully committed leadership team and Board of Directors; not afraid to reinvent itself, embrace change, and keep a 4+ decade/legacy "current and relevant" for today's marketplace. Socially responsible with 10% pre-tax profits and employee time to the Interaction Institute for Social Change. Committed to 7 core values that are used in decision-making at all levels.

Cons

Still a small company undergoing lots of "adaptive" change. The balance between "veterans" and new employees has shifted, putting some strain on the system, combined with a new go to market strategy in a short period of time has disoriented some people. In a small company, seemingly small changes have big ripple effects and impact, and upward mobility is certainly limited. IA is also a highly relationship and involvement-oriented company which can magnify things even more, and upset people who may not have the business acumen, maturity/experience, or "stomach" for the kind of transparency about numbers, goals, challenges, etc. that are continuously shared among employee owners in the company.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Lots of progress has been made. The financial results speak for themselves, the team has been built -- right people in the right roles -- now it's about implementation success and focus.

"Amazing talent, great values, great people"

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time

Pros

Great people, great history. Quality IP. Incredibly talented employees.
    Employee owned with a high degree of ownership among employees. Meaningful values. A workforce and leadership team that do their best to honor the company values every day.
    Excellent benefits.

Cons

The company is going through some changes right now, which can be stressful and challenging. The organization and leadership team is committed to making the right changes for the benefit of the company and the employees, but change is difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on fostering a culture of employee involvement. Continue to honor the values.

"A great place to work, going through lots of change"

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time

Pros

World-class, time-tested content for making leaders and managers more effective.
    A strong focus on improving trust and collaboration within the company.
    Throughout the company, great people who care.
    A great CEO and a strong leadership team.
    The benefits are great!

Cons

A lot of people have left in the recent past. Some of them probably for the best, others may be not.
    Overall many people in the organization are struggling with the amount of change.
    Some of the more tenured people are not so forgiving of newer people who do not immediately know the "IA way."
    The pay, across the board, is a little low.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue to work to find the optimal amount of stakeholder involvement.
    Build the business to the point where you can pay better overall salaries.

"In a Tailspin"

I have been working at Interaction Associates full-time

Pros

Good methodology and IP (though not created by the people still at the company)
    Several good and talented people.
    Good values (in theory)

Cons

Toxic work environment.
    No respect between management and staff.
    Several bad hiring decisions resulting in firings and attrition.
    Motivated by money and no longer by the work and people.
    People don't believe management when they speak of the values or of the hopes for the future. Surveys have been conducted but no meaningful positive action is taken. Only symbolic gestures are made without any substance.
    There is no trust.

Advice to Management

Take real action, remove the toxic elements/people. work towards a real collaborative and trusting community and pay attention to the ideas and observations of the people. When we feel respected, valued and trusted, we work toward the goals in a more productive way than when we are not on your side.