Intevac Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Standard Benefits. Very common to what you see in most companies. 401K match started again. Friendly team members. Accommodating.

Cons

It is a survivor. I don't see great growth in future years. I can see it doing about the same, plus or minus 15 percent over the next set of years.

2. "About as bad as it gets"

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck. And that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start.
    In short, Extremely unprofessional, unethical and unqualified people from director level down to employees - especially their so called software group. If you see a job opening remember they just want to ride you, take credit for your work (because they are unqualified), and find someone to blame for their chaos, poor planning, poor management, missed deadlines and lack of knowledge.

Advice to Management

Get rid of everyone in photonics starting with director.

3. "No Growth"

I have been working at Intevac part-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers to work with, it's almost like family were people know each other. Depending on your manager, your work schedule can be flexible. Resources are readily available. It's nice to have a cafe to eat at. Free coffee. Stock options.

Cons

No opportunities for growth. High turn over rate. Low balling wages. The market in photonics's is slow. Intevac is for people who are ready to retire. If you are over the age of 45 you'll fit right in. Management can be bad, some managers can micromanage and some will not care at all.

Advice to Management

Grow your workers and promote from within. Don't be afraid of growth, push yourselves.

4. "Senior Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Laramie, WY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Laramie, WY

Pros

excellent benefits, always innovating, interesting portfolio of semiconductors, analytical instrumentation and photovoltaics.

Cons

management did listen to us in time.

5. "Senior SW Engineer"

I worked at Intevac full-time

Pros

Small, Quick turn around

Cons

Technical Skill/Experience is not very important

Advice to Management

Reasonable Scheduling base on professional estimation

"Senior Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are recognized for the hard work that you do, flexibility on time, Supervisor always challenge you to do different projects.

Cons

No time schedule on projects, not a team environment, communication

"Horrible company"

Pros

People, location and that is about it

Cons

Layoffs, no raises, mandatory shut downs, terminated 401 (k) match, senior management lacks vision

Advice to Management

Figure out direction of company and value your employees

"Dead End"

Former Employee - Staff in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A few great people, technical competence, and a collegial atmosphere overall. I made some good friends during my tenure at Intevac. Central location, so more or less a convenient commute. Workload reasonable, but compensation sub-par relative to market.

Cons

A really down-trodden, depressing atmosphere. Very little recognition/appreciation from management. Middle management is mostly comprised of risk-averse career dead-enders that are playing safe and biding their time to retirement. Everyone lives in fear of HR; quick to resort to layoffs when the going gets rough, and turnover has at times been really high. The equipment side of the business serves a well-established, mature market (data storage), but it's mostly a "spares" business, and there really isn't much new tech in the pipeline. Photonics is a disorganized mess; the technology is ok, but they're not competent at manufacturing; I expect that they'll soon sell off this division to a larger company that can profitably manufacture the products. I miss working with many of my colleagues, but overall I'm very glad that I decided to move on to greener pastures.

"Small Company trying to be a Big Company with Little Follow Through"

Former Employee - Planner in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Intevac Equipment Division has a lot of friendly and talented people. From day one they make you feel like part of the family. The Equipment Division has some superior technology and products. The Imaging Division has had a lot of rapid growth which is promising for the companies future.

Cons

There has been a lot of turn over and RIFs in Intevac overall the past several years. Senior Management has lots of promising words and upbeat outlook, but the history shows they are in a downspin as far as the Equipment Division future business. The Imaging Division has had a lot of key employees leaving which makes one wonder what is going on there and why management doesn't do something about it. Employees are always fearful of the next pending layoffs, which happen frequently. There is very little promotions within the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Management at the Corporate Level needs to recognize they are spending more money on replacing good talented employees and are also loosing business. There seems to be too much focus on short term Sales & Profit, at the expense of future business and a company going out of business.

"Intevac Imaging is dissolving"

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intevac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Imaging group at Intevac has some leading edge technology and very talented engineers at both locations. The Imaging Manufacturing group there are a first class operation. Working there is exciting.

Cons

There have been a lot of engineers and managers who have resigned over the past year. Most of these employees were critical to our future. There seems to be a feeling that the ship is sinking and key people are exciting almost every other week. Job security is very questionable there.

Advice to Management

Management in Intevac Imaging tends to brief us on all the upcoming opportunities and future business, that never seems to materialize. Management needs to start telling us the truth and have a real strategy for the future.

Management needs to open their eyes to why so many senior and key employees are leaving Intevac at both locations.