Investec Reviews | Glassdoor

Investec Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.8
Investec CEO 	Fani Titi and Hendrik du Toit (no image)
Fani Titi and Hendrik du Toit
Cons
  1. "Satisfied ex employee"

I worked at Investec

Pros

Lot of social events scheduled throughout the year

Cons

Upward mobility is a challenge

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

Investec2016-03-03

"High deal flow in toxic environment"

I worked at Investec full-time

Pros

You learn a lot about your personal values, boundaries, and what you find to be acceptable/unacceptable. Office and global offsites are in good locations Good deal flow (but you will work for it)

Cons

- Toxic work environment - condescending, racist and misogynistic. White men promoted at expense of more experienced and competent minorities and women - Team heads have no interest in people on team or managing - Very anti-cultural compared to the "Investec culture" that is pitched - strongly enforced hierarchy - Pay is very below market. Lack of titles used against you as in "Associates" unlikely to ever get a... VP bump (responsibility or salary) - Days off / personal commitments (including evenings and weekends) are ignored/ used against you

Advice to Management

Statistically, people don't leave jobs, they leave managers. When half the team quits in less than a year (40% in a month)...look at the managers.

Investec2018-10-28

Investec Response

October 31, 2018Social Media Online engagement manager

Thank you for your feedback on the time you spent at Investec. We take this feedback very seriously as what you've said goes against everything we stand for in terms of the culture we have created. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues you've raised. Please send us an email with your contact details to investec.socialmedia@investec.co.za so that Group HR can get in touch.

"Disappointing and Lacking"

I worked at Investec full-time

Pros

- Location - Coffee - Learn to rely on yourself and solve problems on your own

Cons

- Poor management - BOYS CLUB, a favoritism of male colleagues at the expense of females who are equally or more qualified - Many late nights and weekends, mainly due to management's inability to make or stick with decision - Major disconnect across groups when it comes to culture - No accountability with managers and senior members, who would rather point fingers and blame juniors - Lack of team work

Advice to Management

I don't want to overgeneralize as I'm sure there are good managers out there. But if your department and team are constantly struggling ... management should look in the mirror and realize you may be the problem

Investec2018-01-14

"Uninspiring"

I have been working at Investec

Pros

Management has generally been promoted to several levels above their ability on the basis of being South African, or non - confronting the status quo and understanding how to drive the business up, so out of ignorance, they leave you alone.

Cons

Salary is below average, bonuses tend to be hogged by senior insecure London bankers and organisation operates in a client vacuum. Aspiring to mediocrity is not ambitious.

Advice to Management

Do not just promote people who kiss your butt or who happen to be south African.

Investec2017-05-14
  5. "Investment Banking Analyst"

I worked at Investec full-time

Pros

I worked for the Investment Banking group in Corporate Finance in Hong Kong. The team was small but extremely helpful especially for a young entry level team member. Every single questions I asked was answered regarding complex financial modelling, or using the somewhat complicated Bloomberg Terminals. It is an open seating plan so everyone is quite approachable. The view is fantastic over the harbor... in the IFC building.

Cons

It is a small company, so the deal sizes aren't always going to be big compared to the bulge bracket investment banks like UBS, Goldman, JP Morgans, etc. The lunch spots are quite expensive. Bowl of Noodles could cost you $50+ more. It is a very corporate environment, and hours are not as flexible like a startup. Salaries are not great for young talent compared to larger firms. Pathway to promotions are... not the most direct.

Investec2016-09-01
  6. "Investec Cape Town"

I worked at Investec

Pros

Great team and the best clients

Cons

not enough pay for the amount of work

Investec2015-11-01
  7. "Awesome company and amazing US effort until it all came to an end."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Investec full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young dynamic team was really a promising environment to work in. Met amazing people and have always been looking for that environment.

Cons

Based out of SA and had to scratch their US business in 03 because of alleged money laundering

Investec2015-10-13
  8. "A very focused firm"

Anonymous

I worked at Investec

Pros

Founders still very active in the operation

Cons

Bottom-line focus can be challenging

Advice to Management

Build broader constituency around the brand

Investec2014-09-11
  9. "Great place to work"

I worked at Investec

Pros

Great team of people, good relationships with clients, small office.

Cons

There were no cons at this job.

Advice to Management

None.

Investec2013-02-14

"Summer Internship"

Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Investec

Pros

I worked with a great group of people. There is little to no bureaucracy in day to day activities. It was a small group and they taught me a lot.

Cons

Didn't have tons of work to do all of the time. I found that it wasn't the direction I wanted to take.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I would say the people I worked for were incredibly competent and intelligent. I learned a lot.

Investec2010-10-27