Found 27 of over 27 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- 5.0Jun 12, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
It's a great place to work. The team is nice and everyone is working together towards a common goal. Leadership is transparent and leads by example. The company values collaboration and feedback. Work is fast paced but also focused on process and diagnosing problems prior to diving into new projects — this eliminates a lot of the jumping from project-to-project and needing to "put out fires" that you see at other startups. Everyone at the company truly wants to help the borrowers that we work with get back on their feet.
Nothing I can think of.
- 5.0Dec 1, 2022Senior Product AnalystCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
- January is genuinely mission led, full of employees who truly care about the borrowers that we help get out of debt - The company has extremely thoughtful and well articulated values that are present day to day, and honestly make collaboration a joy rather than a chore - Decentralised authority mean that you have the flexibility to work on what's important to you, and ideas can come from anywhere in the business - For the rapid growth that we experience (celebrating new milestones every quarter), our teams and unusually well organised and our platforms are reliable. You won't experience much of the start-up chaos present in other companies - We have a smart and transparent leadership team who I personally trust to make the right decisions
- Like several big tech companies, our culture is geared toward intrinsically self motivated employees. Your job is what you make of it, which suits some personality types better than others - Because we are growing, responsibilities and priorities can change frequently. This could be difficult if you are more risk-adverse or prefer stability
- 5.0Feb 28, 2023Support SpecialistCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearChicago, IL
Since the interview everyone one I have met have been transparent and honest about company values, benefits, areas of improvement and more. I have never felt as if I was out of the loop in terms of company information and opportunities. If you have a good idea you're able to collaborate with others or implement if it makes sense to January's vision and business practices. Additionally, January's support during challenging personal matters is top-tier.
Compensation can be improved, but does meet industry standards.1
- 5.0Oct 13, 2022Account ExecutiveCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearLos Angeles, CA
This is a solid team of individuals that really know how to work together as a team and build something mission-driven. Everyone is a critical thinker and self-starter that takes on the responsibility of the company as if it's their own, which is great to see in any startup. If you're looking for a challenge that enables professional and personal growth, this is a great environment for that.
Everyone likes to keep a full schedule here - so if you always need guidance, you may have some trouble. Like any startup, you'll wear multiple hats and be expected to lead initiatives and do the research that's needed to move forward, which is empowering and not the type of experience you'd get at a larger company.January Response2y
Thank you for sharing your experience and valuable feedback! We're continuing to prioritize how we support team members and recently rolled out a newly designed manager training program. Our goal is to ensure everyone has access to and support from those around them. Thank you for being a part of our team! –Vanessa, Director of People
- 5.0Feb 16, 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearSan Francisco, CA
Great team operations. Growth-oriented culture. Fun people to work with.
Maybe could have paid better.
- 5.0Oct 19, 2022Business OperationsCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
There is opportunity to learn and grow. My colleagues are smart, thoughtful individuals many of whom are motivated by making a positive impact. Good process is prioritized over outcome. Healthy culture in the workplace provides work/life balance. People are friendly, kind, professional.
Unlike some corporate environments, company doesn't reward putting in the extra hours. Emphasize on good process over outcome will not appeal to someone looking for fast growth, results oriented startup.1
- 5.0Oct 14, 2022Junior Software EngineerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew York, NY
By far the best thing is the culture: - friendly and ego-less - regular open feedback, including to management - transparency
It's a startup, so fires can crop up, and you might be forced to wear many hats. If this is a con, I'd be wary about working at any startup.
- 5.0Oct 5, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent EmployeeNew York, NY
Accessible managers and company leaders. Feedback is requested frequently and you can feel confident that people are listening to it. Respect for work and life balance.
Its a startup so there is a lot of work and you wear a lot of hats.January Response2y
We’re glad to hear that you’ve had a positive experience here at January. Thank you for being a part of this exciting journey! –Vanessa, Director of People
- 5.0Nov 15, 2021Software EngineerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew York, NY
- Massive emphasis on learning and documentation. No question is too mundane to ask, no process exempt from questioning and/or improvement. - Great sense of community in the NYC office, and major focus on hiring employees that align on our cultural values of communication and collaboration. - Managers recognize asymmetric risks and learning opportunities. Junior and mid-level engineers are encouraged to incorporate self-education into their project deliverables. - Pay and stock options are near the top of market, unlimited PTO, thoughtful and considerate management/senior leadership. - Great liquidity and cash flow, company is not going under any time soon. Transparent financials, and All-Hands meetings are actually useful! - Virtually no gossip, politics, clique-ness and overall markers of poor culture/community.
- As with many Series A startups, underdeveloped systems architecture and IT Operations. - There is a lack of under-represented minorities in the engineering team, some systemic changes are required but as someone who is not a member of these ethnic groups, I'm not sure what it is.5
January Reviews FAQs
January has an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5, based on over 27 reviews left anonymously by employees. 100% of employees would recommend working at January to a friend and 93% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.
100% of January employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated January 4.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 5.0 for culture and values and 4.7 for career opportunities.