Jayco Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Derald Bontrager

1. "So Far So Good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlebury, IN

I have been working at Jayco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment. The equipment in our office is newer and they seem to have taken extra care in making sure that the employees all have the tools needed for a productive work day. Small creature comforts as well.
    I can't speak for the production side of things, but on the administrative side the pay is competitive.
    Having worked on salary before - and putting in lots of overtime with no financial reward, it's refreshing to be an hourly employee and getting overtime in an office setting.
    Company culture appears to be positive and not a drama-filled glorified high school like some places.
    Many employees have been there for years, which can be a good sign - high turnover is always a red flag.

Cons

Keeping in mind that the company is family-oriented, there are a LOT of employees that are working in the same department and related in some way.
    I haven't seen any blatant nepotism, but it's clear on how many people got their foot in the door.
    For someone like me who came to the company knowing no one, it can make you feel like an outsider.
    However, I've never felt like it was an obvious disadvantage.
    If you are one to just show up - work - and go home then it shouldn't bother you.

Advice to Management

One thing that I noticed is that each department does seem to have more management than necessary. I'm not saying "get rid of management" but maybe a soft reorganization of some departments could help alleviate the feeling of having too many chiefs.

Also, I've noticed that if management has some rules they'd like to put in place (nothing crazy, but things they want to implement in order to improve efficiency) a lot of the employees respond negatively to their delivery.
    I think instead of saying "if _____ is happening then no one is allowed to do ____" they should try a different approach. I'm no stranger to rules, but in a recent meeting I witnessed several fellow employees reacting negatively to a new policy that was harmless, really. It was all in the delivery though and could've been handled better.
    Perhaps some members of management could benefit from some sort of managerial training.

2. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middlebury, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middlebury, IN

I worked at Jayco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work. Value employees.

Cons

Sometimes the wrong person gets let go. Please do more research into situations.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Good company, to many managers"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middlebury, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middlebury, IN

I have been working at Jayco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun company, lots of appreciation shown for your work, fairly good "family" atmosphere

Cons

To many managers. I had 6 managers at one point. There were only 16 of us and we had 6 bosses. They micro-manage way to much.

Advice to Management

Lose half of the management staff and trust the workers to do their work.

5. "decent place to work not very high pay for the rv industry"

Current Employee - Production in Middlebury, IN
    Current Employee - Production in Middlebury, IN

I have been working at Jayco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work for. Great atmosphere pay is ok. Awesome benefits if you need or use them. Excellent 401k plan. I've been here 2 years and the company keeps growing and moving forward.

Cons

Pay is under average for rv industry. Some of the managers are there just cuz they have been there for ever and they don't really do anything except waste money that could go to other hardworking employees. Production manager cares more about getting the units out the door vrs quality and employees.

Advice to Management

Push quality. Get rid of employees/managers that dont do much and are wasting the company's (aswell as hard working line guys) money just because their there for 30 years. And take more responsible to show you care about the employees that are working hard to get your product out.

6. "Its who ya know"

Current Employee - R V Assembler in Twin Falls, ID
    Current Employee - R V Assembler in Twin Falls, ID

I have been working at Jayco (More than 8 years)

Pros

the hours are great , the pay is fair to middle and most of the people in my plant in Idaho are good folks

Cons

getting a promotion for some people is like nailing jello to the wall. others seem to realize that buddying up and kissing butt is all the management seems to recognize. Doesn't matter how hard you work anymore its all about who ya know

Advice to Management

this is for the Idaho plant ,suck it up and at least let some people besides your friends take a leadership role. they might surprise ya if you give them a reason to give you their all

7. "Jayco"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlebury, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlebury, IN

I worked at Jayco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large family type atmosphere. Great benefits, good pay, lots of very nice people work there. Nice family/work balance possible.

Cons

Long term employees are stuck in the past and can not see the benefits of consolidating or upgrading ways to do things. Some would rather do it the way it was done 20 years ago than to learn the new technologies available to make their job easier.

Advice to Management

Go back to the companies roots concerning the atmosphere. There are way too many management types who don't do any actual work in their departments. Some managers are incompetent and are only in charge because they have been there the longest. Tenure does not equal the most qualified person for the job.

8. "Is a nice place to work until new management ran it down."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlebury, IN

I have been working at Jayco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits nice people to work for and flexible also family oriented.

Cons

When the company slows down or times get tough they seem to get rid of senior employees.

Advice to Management

You can make or destroy someone life making the wrong decision so think hard before you make that decision, you as a person have to live with that.

9. "I have had a very good experience at Jayco working for them 20+ years."

Current Employee - Accounting in Middlebury, IN
    Current Employee - Accounting in Middlebury, IN

Pros

Very sensitive to needs of family time.

Cons

Not always looked at for advancements.

Advice to Management

Know who your best emnployees are and give them the respect they deserve.

10. "Too much ego centric managers"

Current Employee - Line Worker in Dandenong (Australia)
    Current Employee - Line Worker in Dandenong (Australia)

I have been working at Jayco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people are good to work with and when you have all the tools or parts you need it's a pretty relaxed environment.

Cons

When you don't have everything you need you are still expected to hit your numbers.
    A strong culture of "if I didn't do it it's not my problem".
    Managers are extremely arrogant.
    Constantly threaten to reduce your pay if you don't hit your numbers even if it wasn't your fault.

Advice to Management

It's time some mangers had a look at the real world and realise that Jayco isn't the greatest place too work at. If you constantly punish your employees the morale will always be bad. Instead of threatening people with docking there pay how about help them.

11. "Learning"

Former Employee - Pluming
    Former Employee - Pluming

I worked at Jayco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people good work and just a joy to work for exprian and new skills new people and new friends :)

Cons

No cons i have to say beside me snot working there anymore that would have to be my only con but thts my fault