Jump Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2018

3.9
Dev Patnaik

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A truly purpose driven company."

Former Employee - Vice President Strategy in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Strategy in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Jump Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thought I had worked on teams before Jump. Now, I realize that those were just groups of people. That's because Jump is truly a purpose driven company. Everyone at the company is authentically committed to fulfilling Jump's purpose: to transform lives through learning and growth.

Cons

Growth has been difficult for the company.

"Great people, brutal environment"

I worked at Jump Associates full-time

Pros

I echo previous reviewers when I say the people at Jump are, by and large, genuinely amazing. They are kind, curious, thoughtful, and absolutely committed to doing the best work that they possibly can. There is so much to admire about them.

Cons

There's an ongoing debate in psychology about whether human behavior is more a function of our personalities or our environments. Jump may be the best argument out there for those who believe the latter. These same kind, curious, thoughtful, and committed people become so beaten down by this company's unforgiving expectations that they adapt by turning their frustration inward (the amount and intensity of self-denigration is staggering) or, less often, on others.

Jump prizes learning and growth, which is wonderful, but I constantly wondered as an employee where sanity comes into play. Because unless you've signed up for management consulting or i-banking (and even then!), I don't believe it's normal to work until all hours of the night - 12am, 3am, even 'sleeping' at the office. I don't believe it's normal to be told in training on your second day that "if you don't hate your life here, you're doing it wrong". I don't believe mistakes should be punished by what are essentially public eviscerations. And in an office of not even 30 people, I don't believe it's normal to not only have to seek out a private place to cry on a regular basis, but to constantly run into others in tears who got there before you.

It's not just an ethical issue, either. For a company for whom creativity is a crucial point of difference, psychological safety is essential for top performance - and despite constant verbal assertions to the contrary, Jump is the least psychologically safe environment I've ever been in.

I struggled with this review because I do believe that people-wise, Jump has so much potential - but for a variety of reasons, I don't believe the culture will change. There's very much a vibe of "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen," and maybe that's fair - but at what point do you question whether the kitchen's just a little warm, or actively on fire?

"Associate"

I worked at Jump Associates full-time

Pros

Great to work with creative, intelligent and caring coworkers.

Cons

It's fun as a family business ... mafia style. They overwork you, underpay you, talk about "Empathy" but don't apply that to their employees. Don't plan on taking a big vacation, having a consistent hobby or a family while you work there.

I also note they've padded the reviews here to up the score. If people were honest, it would fall way below the numbers shown and have a lot less sycophantic language.

4. "Culture is everything"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Jump Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You won't find a more genuine, smart, well rounded group of people anywhere you look. Culture is everything and feeds into great work and empathic decisions.

Cons

It's more about work-life integration than work-life balance, and compensation is below average for the area and industry.

5. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at Jump Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jump Associates is a company that truly values learning, growth, and embodies CULTURE. Jump wants you to succeed and will give you the tools to do so. Countless opportunities to act like an owner to create the role you want. We work hard and make an impact on the world which is truly gratifying. Jump is an awesome place to work for with fun group to work with!

Cons

I can't think of a negative. Better snacks?

Advice to Management

n/a

6. "A unique and inspiring place with potential for even more impact"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jump Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jump is a company that's been around for 20 years, but there's a lot more to figure out. Jump's purpose and values are what make it a special place, and the kind of impact we're trying to have is what makes this work so hard to figure out. We love doing it though! There's an opportunity to help Jump figure it out which is awesome because you get to grow so quickly by trying it and learning from your experience. I also get to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met, and that I truly admire. Jump stretches me and shows me everyday how much farther I can go. This can be scary and unsettling at times, but we lean on each other and we learn our way out of problems.

Also, amazing benefits!

Cons

Lower than average pay at all levels

"It Could Be So Great"

Former Employee - Strategist
    Former Employee - Strategist

I worked at Jump Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jump's people are amazing. They're passionate, innovative, excited, and curious about the world. They've figured out how to hire.

Cons

Jump has a knack for making smart and kind people feel worthless. It's a pattern I've seen repeatedly. Expectations are unclear and can change on a dime. The hours are long, pay is much lower than average. The leadership team is dysfunctional. You've gotta do it for the love, and it's sometimes hard to love.

Advice to Management

There's a reason you haven't grown over the past 20 years.

"A Leadership Culture w/ A Learning Problem (No, that is a good thing!)"

Current Employee - Vice President of Strategy in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Strategy in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Jump Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jump builds employees leadership capabilities for every employee through company training opportunities, daily leadership activities, and unique JUMP style teachings; whatever style learner you are. Leaders lead by doing rather than saying - something not often seen in previous organizations I've worked in.
    What a refreshing approach to what a modern learning culture should look like. Jump makes it a point to learn daily by various intentional activities with time devoted to learning from one another and from FAILURES.
    Additional major pro is that not only does Jump leadership has one foot firmly rooted in academia (frameworks, methodologies) but also grounded as practitioners with multiple first-hand client experiences - several hundred case studies.

Cons

Long hours but they are rewarding. Not being able to talk about client projects due to confidentiality is a challenge; explaining some of the fascinating projects Jump has facilitated. The commute from SF is a manageable pain thanks to Caltrain and that San Mateo stop and 2-block walk.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster leadership. Focus on taking JUMPS internal culture and special sauce as an offering for others.

9. "Jump Associates is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director, Strategic Account Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Strategic Account Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jump Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is absolutely fantastic. Some of the smartest people I've ever had a chance to work with, but also creative, insightful, and hard working. Salary is competitive, benefits are great, and the work is interesting.

Cons

Driving to San Mateo daily in the morning can take quite a bit of time.

10. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Jump Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive culture. Very open about where the company is, how it is trying to improve and it's vision for the future. This is a group of people who actually care about learning and growth and want to do work that has a positive impact in the world. The authenticity of Jump is what makes it extraordinary. In terms of the work, the projects are fascinating, challenging and rewarding, but you need to be comfortable with a bit of ambiguity.

Cons

Going through a period of reflection on how they can grow and improve after a difficult couple of years. This can be exciting if you want to contribute to the story of the company you work for, but unsettling if you are looking for clear direction and rules to work by.

Advice to Management

Keep up the commitment to learning and growth, it's what makes you unique.