K12 Insight Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people doing great work"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time

Pros

The work is really interesting, the clients are school districts that are prioritizing being thoughtful and responsive to their communities.

Cons

The start-up culture, one that is responsive to the market and likely to adapt, can be stressful for people who like to settle into a job and have it become more routine.

2. "Great entry into SaaS and Edtech"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--The company is small and there are lots of opportunities to get involved. I had the opportunity to work on projects in the customer success, product development, and sales departments. Each of these projects had me on cross-functional teams with different people from the company. That kind of exposure to so many departments is invaluable for those looking to break into the SaaS industry.

--You will hear from lots of employees at K12 Insight how impressed they are with coworkers. The K12 Insight team is full of brilliant people with deep passion for the work they do.

--Connection to public education: improving public education is at the bedrock of K12 Insight and is home to any and all passionate about education.

--Now is a good time to join the K12 Insight family. Lots of exciting new developments and new opportunities.

Cons

--In my time with the company, there were several pivots in terms of what we were trying to present to the market. At times, this can dilute the vision and mission of the company. That is getting better, but there is still work to do. The company needs a clear answer to the question: who are you and what do you do?

--Product development can be slow. Some features were prioritized over others without consideration for what users were asking for. There are several aspects of the product that need to get better from a UX/UI perspective.

--Sometimes the company feels more like a stuffy research company than a software company. Not saying the office needs to go full Google, but the overall office layout and culture could use a little more fun and innovation

Advice to Management

--Avoid product hubris and take a more critical look at the User Experience of the product. Improve the core features of the product to make it easier to use.

--More of a bottom up approach to product development: allow employees and users to shape the product

"Employee"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time

Pros

Company has great products and great people to work with

Cons

Management and C-levels are very challenging to work with. Need to improve priorities and management.

You'll work 40+ hours most of the time a week.

"Good learning experience & Terrible management"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time

Pros

My peers were great mentors for this field. Absolutely my time learning from them.

Cons

Management is very sensitive to criticism, and it will probably be the company's downfall as they are not flexible to change. I am writing this review now because I worked at the company several months ago. The CEO of the company sent out an employee satisfaction survey to the whole company. He then had an all hands meeting to discuss the results, during which he stated: "20% of you do not think your managers are properly managing you, and are not satisfied with how things are run. To those of you who feel this way. Just leave, and quit."

Rather than address and followup to how the company could be run better he told his employees to leave. To my knowledge at least 5 employees have put in notice following that meeting, and more are debating it. Thats over 10% of the HQ's staff.

Food for thought. When an employee gives constructive criticism. Its not an attack. They care enough about the company to want to better it. If you attack them and make them leave, then less people in the company are there that actually care about its success. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees instead of scrutinizing them for providing positive criticism. Do not make a professional environment feel like a TV high school drama.

5. "Inspiring Experience"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding interview process, this company has invested so much time in my training, I am grateful. Culture of kindness but inspires to do better every day. Core values that inspires: #Remarkable, #Innovation, #FierceConversations, #Resourceful and #Relationships. All are rooted in a book we all read or Ted Talks. CEO leads by example. Brilliant but humble.

Cons

They've slow to fire people who are incompetent and don't pull their own weight. Although I feel that's changing and I am glad.

Advice to Management

More accountability of employees. Swift action when people can't step up to do their jobs.

6. "Great Opportunity to Grow!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started working at this company three years ago. Over the past three years I have acquired an outstanding skill-set, leadership opportunities and the ability to communicate with nationally recognized educational leaders.

The company has a very inclusive culture, and the leadership team goes out of its way to foster two-way dialogue with all of its employees. Decisions are made in a collaborative process, and senior leadership is always willing to hear employee feedback.

Lots of room to grow in my role and gain more responsibility. Great people who organized events to make work an engaging place. You're definitely allowed to take on projects and have room to make changes if you see something that's not working. I continue to learn so much here, and really feel like my work is valued and appreciated by senior leadership.

Cons

My con can really be said for all companies in corporate America. At times, incompetent individuals are hired.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote and reward employees who are essential to the overall outlook of the company.

"Learned so much"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room to grow in my role and gain more responsibility. Great people who organized events to make work an engaging place. You're definitely allowed to take on projects and have room to make changes if you see something that's not working. I learned SO much in my time there, and really felt like my work was valued and appreciated.

Cons

There were communication issues within departments. This would often lead to negativity when changes were put in place that people didn't expect or felt like they had a say in.

8. "Learned a lot, great experience, built long lasting friendship"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was awesome. Open door policy, department heads were approachable- employees go above and beyond to assist one another, made those tough busy days manageable. Great life work balance - upper management made a great effort to implement a professional and personal growth in each individual employee.

Cons

Being a small and fairly new company things are constantly changing - not really a con

Advice to Management

Improve communication amongst all departments

9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you make it through the rigorous hiring process, you will have the pleasure of working with some smart, good, wonderful people. Everyone is hard working and passionate about what they do. Great place to learn a lot in a short amount of time. As small as the company is, there is a lot of effort made to keep employees happy. Ample amount of snacks, catered weekly lunch, monthly birthday celebrations etc

Cons

Like every company, internal communication can always be better. There is effort made by senior management which is nice. However, it can always be better.

"Disappointing Experience"

I worked at K12 Insight full-time

Pros

Smart, dedicated colleagues who tried to make it a fun place to work. Opportunities to step up and contribute beyond your stated job.

Cons

Mercurial, micromanaging CEO who appears not to trust the advice and judgment of his employees.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent with your team members. Don't make promises you can't keep.