Karma Automotive Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Liang Zhou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Most upper management very arrogant" (in 13 reviews)

• "Politics at the highest levels to the point of poor decision making to prove a personal point" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Algorithm Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Algorithm Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    Good pay
    Knowledgeable people
    Good management

Cons

There is no cons in my opinion

Jul 16, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback

"Great people If they are not in management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Karma Automotive (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly talented co-workers with huge levels of experience

Cons

Negative management environment, too many "big OEM" at the top who treat this specialist manufacturer as just another GM plant.

Advice to Management

Get senior management who know about this sector.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time

Pros

Despite what others may say, this is one of the most stable California EV startups. Backed by China's largest automotive components company, Karma does not have cash influx problems. Wanxiang is not afraid to invest.

There is literally a car in production, the Revero. Yes, it has it's flaws and yes it based on older technology, but cars are being produced every day. This is a huge advantage over the other startups.

There are many opportunities for individual contributors to have a major impact on the company. Some may say management doesn't listen enough, and there's some truth to that statement. I'm telling you if you're passionate enough about something, they will listen.

The Headquarters in Irvine are beautiful. Millions of dollars more being invested in Engineering capability at the facility.

Cons

People complaining about turnover are right on the money. However, I contend the folks who run around the SoCal EV circuit by jumping to/from company to company are not the ones who are going to make the company succeed. It's funny, as they tend to leave as soon as the going gets tough. Guess what? This work is challenging. Go for it, the grass is always greener. While I can sympathize with them, they are not the ones who are going to make any of these companies (Karma or their future employers) succeed. They'll be working for the next new shiny startup in a year or so.

With a few exceptions, HR and the Recruiting team are always complicated to deal with.

Engineering and Manufacturing needs to be more diligent with processes and process control. Engineers need to do a better job defining how we do our jobs!

Advice to Management

Need to painstakingly ensure the lessons learned from current Revero development and production are applied to future vehicles. Absolutely critical - this is Karma's advantage over the other startups.

Listen to your employees. The design studio, in their ivory tower, should not have the power they do. The aesthetics can only take you so far. Sacrificing some design elements in the name of performance would be a game-changer. Still likely would be a beautiful vehicle!

Need to be more willing to dump inefficient and/or under-performing management. From executives down the line. I've seen some improvement on that recently and it's a good thing.

Team building activities need to be expanded.

Jul 16, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

"Not there yet, risky, anxious environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Karma Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful new corporate office. Generally nice and knowledgeable staff. Good opportunity to learn. Nice 401k if you can stick around long enough. Closes at the end of the year for one week. A lot of money invested in the company, hopefully will turn for the better in 3 to 4 years. New CEO.

Cons

Company is still in flux. Employee turnover seems high, and I would expect more at least this year. Employees are nervous about their job security at the moment. Not many vehicles sold, price seems to high for a vehicle that is basically the same as it was in 2012. The better the employee, the more they are overworked and tend to leave. Do not rock the boat, keep your head down.

Advice to Management

Standard advice, if you have high employee turnover but the management remains the same..........

"Road to Nowhere"

Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Design Release Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Karma Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation/benefits and location. Good co-workers. Some nice opportunities to learn typical OEM processes (and what not to do).

Cons

Leadership and new product is a slow moving train wreck. This company is repeating the same mistakes over and over (except for the styling which is now arguably worse).

Advice to Management

Get out of this business or hand it over to someone that knows how to run an automaker of this nature.

"Terrible leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice loooking car. Lots of great people work here and share the vision of being successful. New CEO who is new and optimistic.

Cons

CTO, CRO , marketing are driving the company into the ground. Awful marketing strategy. Unqualified people in high positions. Complete disarray. No oversight from owners Wanxiang group. People leveraging company assets for personal gain.

Advice to Management

Wanxiang please clean house! The people in control here have no idea how to run the place and will run us into the ground. We need young talented people with the desire to push the envelope of technology and performance. Not old tarnished Detroit brass waiting to sink the ship and retire.

"Design Release"

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time

Pros

Exciting world of electric automobiles

Cons

Ineffective and completly resistent to change management.

Advice to Management

Let our young generation speak, take your retirement package and travel the world.

Jul 26, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback

"software design engineer"

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time

Pros

Owner/investor seems to have a lot of money to spend

Cons

1. Company does not seem to have a clear roadmap or direction.
    2. Good people who can do real work keep leaving and management does not seem to care.
    3. Company focused too much on old and obsolete technologies.
    4. No incentive programs for employees. Everyone gets the same pay adjustment though.
    5. Very un-organized, no clear definition of roles and responsibilities, many VPs, some with one or two reports.

Advice to Management

Get your acts together, do your job.

"Big Risk for Big Reward"

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time

Pros

It’s a new company with ground floor opportunities. If you are talented then you will be compensated for your efforts.

Cons

A lot of unknowns. If you are not comfortable taking a risk with a new company then you probably should not work here.

Advice to Management

Do not reinvent the wheel, just because you can figure something out on your own doesn’t mean you should waste your time. Look to people with experience, implement current best practices and move on.

Apr 23, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

10. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Karma Automotive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at the Plant now. I used to work at headquarters, but I prefer it here at the Plant.

Cons

We are a small company so still processes to improve

Advice to Management

Remain transparent, honest & keep up the KARMARIFFIC spirit!

Apr 23, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager