KeyPoint Government Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eric A. Hess

Pros
Cons
  • They don't pay well enough for the amount of work conducted (in 12 reviews)

• Quality is more important to national security than production as far as I'm concerned (in 20 reviews)

"Treadmill To Nowhere"

Current Employee - Background Investigator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Background Investigator in Denver, CO

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In theory, you get to work your own hours and control the flow of your day. You get to meet interesting people and travel a bit if you enjoy that. TDY travel opportunities are always fun.

Cons

I started working for Keypoint as a Background Investigator in 2010-present, and was recruited with promises of raises and fair pay, benefits etc. This company is as cheap as they come. They require you to use your own personal vehicle whether you are a full time or contractor employee. I've gone through three personal vehicles and have not been fairly compensated for wear and tare or fuel. Fuel prices go up, you make less money. They should provide a vehicle and gas card to every Background Investigator but of course they don't so that the people at the top can line their pockets with a few more million dollars a year. You will get an old crapy laptop that barely functions but you'll will be expected to function like a well oiled machine. When you call tech support, expect a 30-40 minute wait on hold. Keypoint management is unprofessional and probably younger and less experienced at almost everything than you are, but that won't stop them from micromanaging every aspect of your job. You will be held personally responsible when those you investigate or other sources don't cooperate with the background investigation. You will be given ridiculous due dates that nobody could possibly keep up with, then they will expect a play by play of all your cases as you fall slowly behind which is inevitable unless you like working 20 hr days. The case requirements for background work you will do has slowly transformed into a complicated quagmire of work that you'll need a Phd level of knowledge of in order to get it all right, and nearly every case report you send in will be returned to you for corrections, which will prevent you from meeting their quality standards to qualify for raises etc. Weekends do not exist at keypoint, unless you work in management or tech support, as none of them will be available on weekends when they expect you to continue working. All the case materials you will be given regarding those you're investigating will be outdated... at least 50% of the information you have will be inaccurate, meaning... not only will it be difficult to reach people due to their contact information being outdated, but you will be held responsible for the delay. When you work your but off and finally start to feel like you're figuring things out, they will announce changes to everything required by the federal government who dictates most of the work we do. You won't be allowed to use any common sense or real investigative skills in this job. Every minute detail of what you do is dictated by the government or Keypoint policy. You will be a tool used by Keypoint to make them as much money as possible, period. Benefits are horrible and unfair considering the huge profit margins of this company. Around 2013 our biggest competitor, USIS, went out of business due to their poor business practices and botched background investigations that resulted in the federal government ending their contract. Keypoint had the bright idea of hiring nearly all their managers and Investigator's. They brought their subpar culture and work ethic with them. They play favorites and give the low hanging fruit to their buddies, so you'll get the leftover crap that will make meeting company standards impossible. Keypoint has quietly made record profits and none of that is passed down to those who do the lions share of the work. No cost of living increase, no raise, no increased benefits in seven years. I make exactly what I made when I started, but cost of living has gone way up, so really I make less. (Fortunately I start a new job soon). 100% of any feedback you get will be negative. Depending on where you work, the amount of effort and travel requirements of your cases will be vastly different than other Investigators, but you'll be held to the same standards.

Advice to Management

Work with upper management to develop reward programs and positive encouragement for employees. Fight for your employees and get them the compensation they deserve. Stop blaming Investigators for issues that are out of their control and show more empathy when problems arise. Give Investigators more autonomy to control their workload and insure that measures are taken to spread out the low hanging fruit with all Investigators.

"Sisyphean to say the least"

Former Employee - Investgaor in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Investgaor in Honolulu, HI

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule, set your own appointments.

Cons

The work never ends. Because it is a privately owned company versus being a government entity, management continually focuses on the bottom line and has a, "what have you done for me lately" attitude. There is no work/life balance.

"Thank God for good managers."

Current Employee - Investigator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Investigator in Washington, DC

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can literally set your schedule. You work the days you want, the hours you want, granted you have to factor drive times and traffic patterns to get your work done.

Cons

Given the importance of the job investigators do, the base pay needs to be higher and training needs improvement. Given the sensitivity of the information investigators have access to, the base pay is insulting. There are presently secretarial jobs on any job board that pay the same or more than a starting investigator makes. Pay should not only reflect the job but the geographic location of the employee. There seem to be gaps and a disconnect between what we're expected to know from a reviewer standpoint and what we're actually taught.

It seems that to continue advancing you have to do work off the clock because you're advancement depends on productivity and accuracy. You can only do so much in a work week.

Advice to Management

Transparency. Clearly educate both reviewers and investigators on what needs to be done so there's no assuming reviewers are just picking on investigators.

"I wish the leadership was better."

Former Employee - Special Investigator in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Special Investigator in Loveland, CO

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible. Good support for field investigators.

Cons

Poor management, overloaded with work, inconsistent guidance.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and LISTEN to field staff.

"Keypoint Government Solutions"

Former Employee - Background Investigator in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Background Investigator in New Orleans, LA

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours.

Cons

They have unrealistic goals of production and quality and do not pay well. They continue to ask for more with no increase in salary. A lot of work with little pay.

Advice to Management

Pay better and treat employees better.

"The place has not changed an ounce!"

Former Employee - Investigator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Investigator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Essentially NONE. None I can think of. I'll get back to you on this one.

Cons

This place has not changed a bit. Reviews 100% accurate. I was USiS for many years, then took job @ KPGS for kicks. After USIS lost OPM contract, of course. USiS was bad, but they made me a millionaire after ESOP in 1990's. So I am grateful in that respect. But anyone who has to endure this type of punishment is a fool. Take a job, any job, but get out of Dodge! It's a career dead-end @ KPGS. They are no different than the crooks at USIS. The glory days are long gone--I was part of that ride and it was pretty cool.

I was asked to depart (aka FIRED) KPGS after 9 months. Supervisor said I was claiming OT hours I did not work...yeah, I guess I was. Who cares? That place was not worth my energy & legitimate time. I would have quit anyway, and I was able to secure tones extra money in OT @ KPGS. I really disliked my job daily @ KPGS, and you are reading from a person who was in the BI industry 2 decades, former OPM.

Life is great now. I have a job in medical sales..world of difference. The grass really is greener.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking everyone loves KPGS...

"Worst company to work for! This is long, but the truth about KeyPoint."

Former Employee - Special Investigator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Special Investigator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing! I guess being employed in the United States would be a pro. Also, a free trip to CO for training was a benefit.

Cons

It all starts at the recruitment level. A recruiter promises the world. They tell you that advancement in the company and pay increase happens quickly, at about three months, and that there are numerous bonuses. I was employed for two years and saw neither promise I heard from the recruiter. Next is the three week training in Loveland, CO. This should be a warning that the company is going to overwork their employees and have no qualms about it. Class started between 7:30-8 am. We were in class until about 5 pm. Then it was time to begin the few hours of homework assigned each night. Upon graduation...the company seems to forget that we have just completed three stressful weeks away from our families. We arrived home on a Saturday and expected to start in the field training early Monday morning. A few days to recover from classroom training and jet lag from time zone difference would have been nice. You are with a field investigator for one week and then expected to impact national security being totally unprepared. I told my manager I was not prepared to go solo, but I was told that I would learn along the way. There are ridiculous expectations, incredible workload and impossible deadlines. If we didn't meet a deadline, we were penalized, which prevented the promised bonuses and advancement. If we stayed up half the night typing reports to meet the deadline and made a simple spelling or grammar mistake due to pure exhaustion, the QA department would harass us until it was fixed. Do they really think we have time to reopen cases to add an apostrophe to one word? Is this too much for the QA reviewer to do. If the case is reviewed after the case deadline and one small error is found, the case is considered to have not met the deadline. This also counts as a strike against the investigators chances for advancement. I was expected to work weekends to interview individuals who would not take time during the week to meet. Meanwhile, my manager enjoyed the weekend work free. Basically, the job is your entire life. Say goodbye to any time with family and friends. I know of three divorces because of this. After you have given your whole life to this company, they will find some way to terminate you. With me, they violated the American Disabilities Act. For awhile they did accommodate the fact that due to illness and numerous operations, I could not work in the field. I was given a desk job which I excelled at. I was the highest producer in the department and had numerous emails stating how great my performance was. My supervisor even sent out mass emails within the department saying that my work was what was expected from everyone. The HR department started calling me every day asking me when I could return to the field. There was no definite answer since my surgeon would not release me for full duty. This began on a Tuesday and Friday morning I was terminated for a false claim. I tried contacting every level of the company several times by email and phone to have my phone records pulled to prove I did nothing wrong. They refused. It was apparent that since I could not perform field duties, I was no longer wanted. I was wrongfully terminated due to health factors, but they fabricated a lie to protect themselves, but when asked for proof of my "wrong doing", no one would respond because they know there were no violations. This company discriminates!!!!!

Advice to Management

Just give up the act! You know the company is corrupt and you should do the right thing and report it. Keep doing what you are doing! You and USIS employees can have a picnic and discuss unemployment and share stories about who torpedoed investigators the worst. Also, just know that the investigators are cutting corners due to being under paid, overworked and not appreciated. It's only a matter of time before the next Edward Snowden slips through the cracks!

"Trending up!!!"

Current Employee - Seasoned Investigator V in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Seasoned Investigator V in Omaha, NE

Pros

Opportunities are out there. You just have to have the desire to achieve and strive for something out of your comfort zone. Folks looking for work on the contract have previously worked for other companies on the same contract(s) so they know the deal. They know what the work entails. For those visiting and looking to work on the contract(s), this company is the bread and butter. I've worked with other companies before and I'm thankful I've had the chance to expand my experience here. The environment has changed for the better and new leadership at the regional level as well as local level has things trending upwards. With continued successes, this would become a 5 star candidate. Cannot beat the tuition assistant program nor the 401K program. Top notch in my book. Sense of ownership and team environment make this place a stable and exciting place to be for the foreseeable future. Lots of collateral duties. Great community involvement. Internal systems help support the company functionality on all contracts currently worked.

Cons

I've created an environment where there are no cons. You make it what you want it to be!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the field and allow open door communication so we can right the ship from where it once was. This is the place to be in 2017!

"OPM investigator"

Current Employee - Investigator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Investigator in Irvine, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Different every day. Expenses are reimbursed promptly. There are pockets of experienced, caring, and realistic managers. If you are looking for a job that you can do independently and have no coworkers, lots of flex time, and little chance for realistic promotion or pay raises....it's not a bad deal at all.

Cons

No raises in over 6 years while work load and demands have consistently increased. The company keeps touting the fact that they are winning yet another contract... however none of this new contract winning is resulting in any sort of pay raisesfor the investigators who actually make the money for the company. The CEO is a bully who sends out threatening and intimidating company wide emails the week before the Holidays. He likes to cheer about the employment lawsuit that the company successfully defeated while berating the former employee by name in his emails. (He fails to mention the name of the employee and the employment lawsuit that the company lost in 2014)

Advice to Management

Gather together and oust the CEO. He is sucking the morale out of the company. His intimidating behavior is inviting even more lawsuits. He is inviting the inevitable downfall of the company.

"Investigator"

Current Employee - Investigator in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Investigator in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are very few Pro's to share: If you are currently working as a full time or contract investigator with KGS, I highly suggest you reach out to ISN or CSRA, two companies who will likely drain the bulk of the investigative talent from its labor pool, and both of them understand that in any capacity workers wish to be treated as valued assets--Not statistical production units to be driven like machines (KGS's current business model).

Cons

KGS exudes arrogance and has complete disregard for its workers, that's pretty obvious when you look at the average the review here on GD, and my experience is the same. Keypoint also is unwise enough to not know when to respond to pending changes in their business model by engaging their own talent in an effort to retain them, rather than lose them. Many will leave, and many will be happy that the tyrannical imperial reign that was arbitrarily held by KGS for so many years (having simply inherited the USIS case work) will come to an end. Keypoint has laid the foundation for a massive exodus, which has already begun. Its reaction to the expansion of the NBIB contract to ISN and CSRA: Plunder what remaining labor talent you have left on books by driving them even harder on production to ensure that the bottom line metrics and profit figures are met creating even more contention and animosity which will ultimately lead to more attrition. So if your thinking KGS, don't do it, go elsewhere. If you are with KGS, look elsewhere, it won't get any better.

Advice to Management

You are all smarter than us, if you haven't figured it out by now, I doubt a 100,000 suggestions would alter your position.