KeyPoint Government Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Eric A. Hess

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule, work from home (in 125 reviews)

• I'm a slacker so sometimes it's hard to get motivated but for the most part the flexible schedule is great (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • You will never be able to finish the amount of work that they require in a 40-hour work week (in 15 reviews)

• There is no such thing as work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

"Special investigator"

Current Employee - Special Investigator in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Special Investigator in Dayton, OH

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, decent pay for those who don’t have experience. The field managers care about you and how you’re doing.

Cons

None so far, it’s been all positive

Advice to Management

Increase base pay.

"Special Investigator"

Pros

Just like you, I was searching anywhere and everywhere for information about life working for this company. There are plenty of scathing reviews but I'm going in the opposite direction with this. I'm about to hit my 6 month mark and I actually enjoy the job. I don't work in a metro area and I don't feel like my caseload is that crazy, I've never missed a deadline and never had a problem from management getting a deadline moved based on subject or source availability. The training in Colorado was a decent experience. They hole you up in an extended stay with a fridge and stove and everything. Classes are pretty lax but they throw a lot of information at you. Instructors were always willing to answer questions and they even held study sessions at the hotel meeting room in the evenings, you get paid overtime if you attend the study sessions.

The pay isn't great (it's good for me as this is my first "professional" job) but the experience is good and paychecks are on time. Expenses such as mileage are reimbursed weekly, so that's a nice little boost to get me by.

I haven't had issues with management so far, my field manager is always understanding as long as you communicate with him as soon as an issue arises.

Working from home is great. I'm a slacker so sometimes it's hard to get motivated but for the most part the flexible schedule is great. I try to schedule most of my meetings in the morning so it leaves me afternoon free to do whatever I want. If I want to run some errands or skate off for a bit I can save my typing for later. If you're even somewhat organized you can structure your week how you want. Sometimes I'll just have a whole day dedicated to typing and just scheduling some meetings, so I don't even have to put pants on.

You have to be personable and you have to be diligent and timely. You get issued a badge and I imagine some people let it get to their head and kind of try to pass themselves off as law enforcement. Just smile when you approach people and always try to make them laugh so they feel more at ease. It's bad enough that you're some dude or dudette showing up out of nowhere and flashing a badge trying to obtain information about someone. A lot of people will skeptical about who you are and what the investigation is about. Being friendly and honest will get you pretty far.

Cons

Reopens. I get reopened constantly. I once had 6 reopens in one day, yeah most of it was my fault...but still, dealing w/ 6 in one day was stressful.

"Mutiple positions"

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent coworkers and I was fortunate to have an outstanding manager. Good benefits and time off. Flexible scheduling, but that was due to the manager.

Cons

This industry is not for everyone. I would never be an investigator. Watching from the outside, the pressure was too much. Pick any other department or role but investigator and you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Correct training issues immediately, make sure that the people training in the field have been full audited and are training correctly.

"Training"

Former Employee - Background Investigator in Sha-To-She, OK
    Former Employee - Background Investigator in Sha-To-She, OK

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First two weeks paid training at home, next two weeks in Loveland. They pay airfare, salary, and per diem door to door from home. They pay .54/mile, $59 Per diem and shuttle service. Hotels have kitchenettes and free shuttle to anywhere in Loveland

Cons

Information overload. Very disorganized delivery. They skip from one topic to another and then back to the original. You better memorize many manuals and be able to cross reference each one. Trainers are arrogant and very jealous of prior law enforcement officers. They will demand more of you, scrutinize you, embarrass you. Trainers demand perfection on minutia topics, such as reciting exact wording when identifying yourself to personal sources. Very ticky-tacky because you say 'and' instead of 'the'.

Advice to Management

Hire a college professor to completely revamp training curricula and reorganize steps and levels of learning. Slow down so students (adult learners) can digest and grasp all information in a logical order. Adult learners expect to know Step 1 before moving to Step 2. Don't start with Step 3, go to Step 2, and then to Steps 6 and 1.

"Field Investigator"

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a paying job, the interviewing and meeting new people is fantastic, working from home should be great, but....

Cons

They abuse the fact that you work from home and try to occupy every minute of your day. They do not care about the "work area radius" and send you on assignments that are 15+ miles out of your area, WHICH takes up incredibly large amounts of your limited, 24hrs per day ability to complete the assignments in their time frame. When I had an associate to interview and they were on vacation for a month, no one told me to return the file because it could not be done in the allotted time, I assumed I had to keep the file until the work was complete. NO guidance provided about how to handle the impossible time schedule they give you...just lip service. Again, the rule about "radius of work area" that they refer to in the job posting is an absolute joke. In four months I received two cases out of 100+ that were in my supposed "work area." But still, huge hits to job performance if you don't start meeting their requirements from day one. I quit after four months.

6. "Flexible job"

Current Employee - Investigator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Investigator in Washington, DC

Pros

Good job for recent graduates looking to gain professional experience out of school.

Cons

None cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Increase base pay

"Negative comments"

Current Employee - Background Investigator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Background Investigator in Miami, FL

Pros

I've noticed the pattern of negative comments seems to come from individuals that are in the metro area of key points base offices; Colorado, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. I know several people that work for this company, including myself, and has never experienced any of these horror stories that people are sharing. I can only assume that maybe because people live in the metro area of the company, the demand for production is higher, thus, more work and more stress.

My advice: This career is not for everybody, however, if you are goal orientated, able to meet departmental deadlines, great time management skills, and Superior organization skills, you will not have a problem with this company nor the background investigation position. Don't allow the experiences of others to dictate or cast doubt upon your work ethic, your value, and you're worth.

Cons

My only con is that more keypoint employees should speak up on these various websites and blogs about their great experiences in order to create balance and allow people to make a fair assessment. * it's human nature that when we have poor experiences, we want to talk about it and complain, in search for solidarity. Usually when things are going great, and we have minimal complaints we don't talk about it.

Advice to Management

Our remote field managers are the best in Miami!!

"Special Investigator"

Current Employee - Special Investigator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Investigator in New York, NY

Pros

I honestly can say with 100% certainty that much of what I have read on here is exaggeration. I can attest that this job is not for everyone. Keypoint has been very upfront with all requirements and very fair about each and every one of those requirements. I wanted to write this because I see a lot of blame aimed at Keypoint and it is unwarranted. Very few of the happy people take the time to review. Lets talk about security clearance, Keypoint never promised me any level of clearance. This is how it works, for those who cared enough to look before they jump to conclusions...you are adjudicated, with this position to the level of Top Secret (favorable SSBI). But, you as anyone else in federal service are on a need to know basis, so until you are placed in a program with "need to know" you are not read on to any particular clearance. If each Investigator was read on to Top Secret level clearance they would have access to everything. So in short, until that point you remain on a SSBI favorable status, when the time comes that you are on a contract that requires a specific level of clearance you are read on and cleared. The training was amazing, but not easy at all, very fast paced and lots of info in a short time. Everyone has been very supportive and always willing to help. I am very happy with working at Keypoint. Tons of work, but as long as you stay organized and have good communication, you will do fine. If you plan on being an Investigator for the money or flexible schedule only, I would advise looking elsewhere, you have to really take this job to heart for serving your country as well as interacting with many different people.

Cons

Only cons I have is that it is a lot of information to dissolve when you first start. Class starts at home for 2 weeks and then in Colorado for 2 weeks. Very fast paced and so much to learn...the training period should be longer. If you should fail the final or are not doing well on the quiz's they will help you, but ultimately, it's on you to pass. They can not continue your employment if you fail the exams. Other then that, I love it!

Advice to Management

So far so good.

"Just Don't"

Former Employee - Background Investigator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Background Investigator in Washington, DC

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your fellow investigators you meet during training in Loveland CO.

Cons

management, HR, compensation for the amount of work required, everything really

Advice to Management

Better work-life balance, better FMs who actually have experience, your FIs are people, not assembly line machines.

"Simple interview"

Current Employee - Background Investigator
    Current Employee - Background Investigator

Pros

Free trip to Colorado for training, working from home, work on your own time. Training is extensive and does not just throw you in

Cons

Deadlines. Working on your own time can be a con sometimes because you have to motivate yourself to work. Also waiting for your security clearance takes a while