Kotis Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Becker

1. "Great Environment, Exciting Work"

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kotis Design full-time

Pros

I can't say enough good things about this company. The work is fun and exciting. Every day is a new adventure and each day offers the opportunity to control your own destiny. Sales reps get to pitch companies and verticals they're interested in and pitch product they like and believe in. The environment is dynamic and collaborative. Everyone is extremely nice. Training is ongoing and there's always something new to learn. Pay and benefits are great and having the ability to work from home is a huge plus. Clients are generally extremely happy with Kotis' work and capabilities which makes everything that much better.

Cons

If I have to list a few cons, there are some growing pains (only natural for a fast-moving company that focuses on innovation), the coffee pot is always empty (this is kind of a joke and kind of not...Kotisians/Seattleites drink a lot of coffee), and there's a lack of free snacks (I'm all for healthy options).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Results come when work is intriguing, fun, and dynamic so continue to encourage innovation and collaboration.

"Graphic Designers Take Caution"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kotis Design (Less than a year)

Pros

- This company thrives off of young adults fresh out of the college market. Thus, it is a great way to gain valuable skills and learn quickly
    - Great training
    - Fun office atmosphere & company outings
    - Meeting awesome people
    - Being able to work remotely
    - Office dogs

Cons

- Extremely overworked, designers are on a timer and need to pump out designs VERY quickly - almost feeling like a design sweatshop
    - Being timed makes it difficult to be able to have full creative freedom & push designs further
    - Management doesn't seem to fully understand what it's like on our side & the stress that comes with it
    - Low compensation (especially for the work load and high cost of living), no career growth
    - Mostly designing sorority/fraternity apparel, which majority of the time is copying and replicating a design the customer sent in from another competitor - hence lack of design freedom/creativity
    - The design team is the only team in the office that does not have any opportunity for bonuses or monetary incentives unlike the sales/account teams

Advice to Management

Everywhere else is great, but the design team needs a lot of work. Majority of the time, designers are too scared to speak up. The first step is creating an environment for an open and honest dialogue and begin the change from there. It's important to listen and truly be aware of your employees.

3. "College Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kotis Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing team to work with... the company is filled with young, energetic, and passionate people
    - Managers listen to their team members and truly care about your success
    - Fun holiday parties and events... The CEO loves to make his employees happy and have fun
    - Great workload during Q1, Q3, and Q4 (summer months are slow for College Sales)
    - Office dogs
    - Good open door policy... For the most part, I felt completely comfortable sharing my ideas

Cons

- Kotis can be a little cliquey (both in employees and leadership)
    - Low retention rate in College Sales

Advice to Management

Value the employees who are passionate about Kotis and be more transparent with some processes.

5. "Account Management Team"

I have been working at Kotis Design full-time

Pros

-Clearly defined career path; hard work is recognized and there are endless opportunities throughout the team and company
    -Monthly bonus based on processing and service performance
    -Start up vibe, office dogs, great people
    -Stays true to their roots; processes change frequently, but the core values have seemed to always stay the same
    -Work from home/flexible schedule is an option
    -Holiday party and summer event along with other employee perks
    -CEO and management have an open door policy and are willing to try new things, hear suggestions, etc.
    -You're never bored as Kotis is a very fast paced environment
    -Good work/life balance
    -Extensive training and resources are provided
    -Great paid time off and employee benefits available

Cons

Could be a con to some employees, but Kotis is an ever-evolving, fast paced and sometimes stressful environment- efficiency is vital to your success.

"Account Management"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kotis Design (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great coworkers and fun, creative work environment
    - Emphasis placed on teamwork, but freedom to work independently
    - Good work/life balance
    - Flexible start time with work from home possible
    - Will work with employees to find their best fit in the company

Cons

- High level of responsibility, with pay unequal. Everything falls on the account management team.
    - Poor base salary that maxes out rather low
    - Must meet a benchmark to qualify for bonuses, which management counts toward pay to make compensation look better (aka it isn't really a bonus)
    - Company is becoming more corporate. More emphasis on the bottom line rather than "making amazing" or employee morale
    - Lack of confidence in HR and management. Not sure this team is really being heard.

Advice to Management

- We work in the incentive industry, but don't get many ourselves. In fact, we pay for them out of pocket
    - Pay your employees, especially the account management team, what we are really worth. Company culture only goes so far.
    - If you aren't going to pay better, come up with real ways of making employees feel valued, or you will keep experiencing turnover and burnout on this team

7. "Making AMAZING!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kotis Design (More than a year)

Pros

+Exciting youthful company operating in a very competitive low-margin high-volume business.

+ Management does a great job to keep employees motivated, but more-so, fellow employees keep each other motivated, enabling Kotis to provide superior service to clients who have become accustomed to a complacent price-centric marketplace.

+ Kotis hires great people for under-market-rate in Seattle (plentiful opportunities) because they have such a COOL Culture and the stress level is manageable. The office has a funky vibe to it and incredible view. The Fremont HQ is very reflective of the company culture.

+ The private ownership of the company is a huge advantage. Pivoting on a "gut-feeling" must be stressful, but this nimble company has to compete against BIG companies like Staples and Tee Spring.

+ The designers are GREAT! They turn out AMAZING artwork in less than 24 hours and sometimes by the end of the day. The industry standard is 7 days, oh and Kotis does it FOR FREE!

+ Though in-house custom CRM takes time to get accustomed to, it works well with printing and distribution. There is (virtually) unlimited amount of business. Using analytics extrapolated from big data could help Kotis pinpoint which clients buy when, where, how much, vs. industry standard, etc.

+ My sales manager was great. As long as his reps were hitting their numbers, he provided support when needed and stayed out of the when we were CRUSHING it. It was a rough beginning because we were both good salesmen in a new industry and we started at (approx.) the same time, so the learning curve was steep. Kotis hires nice, easy-going, talented people, which makes going to work enjoyable.

Cons

+ Competing in a low-margin industry with a large number of competitors means you must stay 1 step ahead of the competition in "What's Hot". Expanding into new “high growth” areas that utilize your (superior) free artwork puts your system to the test, thought (in most cases) Kotis' printing/shipping department were on the ball and when they missed a deadline, Kotis was good about giving the client a discount.

+If your competitive edge is your agility and speed, it's inevitable that sometimes things won't go right. The account managers and sales people spend a lot of time on customer service explaining why deliveries were incorrect/late/never arrived. Setting up a customer service department may be a viable solutuion to keep everyone on task.

Advice to Management

+ You have molded the company into the success it is today. Keep up the good work!
    + More mentorship programs or training. Commission salespeople cannot be responsible for teaching the newbies. Easy solution of writing a professional employee manual, which outlines roles and responsibilities. It will keep frustration levels down and accelerate the path to profitability per employee by creating a waypoint.
    + Keep up the good work. Continue to hire good people. Keep the company young and nimble.

8. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kotis Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kotis was my first job out of college. I held multiple sales positions over four years and decided to leave only because I wanted to take on new challenges and learn a new industry; however, I owe much of my success today to my experiences at Kotis. As a new college grad at the time of hire, it provided me with an ideal opportunity to get my feet wet in the world of sales. As a mid-late 20 yr old two years into working at Kotis, it provided me with the experience and compensation required to get my life/career headed in the direction I had envisioned when I began with the company. There is no doubt in my mind that had I decided to stay, I would still be enjoying my time and experiencing success.

Notable pros:
    - work atmosphere/company culture
    - huge compensation opportunity for salespeople
    - company's passion to growth and openness to try new things for improvement
    - vertical integration (much internally is done in-house, allowing for more control and flexibility)
    - ability to grow within company
    - transparency between upper management and rest of company
    - freedom to sell across several industries
    - commitment to technology and staying updated with the latest tools needed to be competitive in today's market

Cons

There is not much to complain about here. My greatest challenge during my time at Kotis was working under a "difficult" manager; however, once those involved communicated the issue up the ladder, action was quickly taken - that person was let go.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Show the account management team a little more love.

9. "Great on the side job!"

Current Employee - Campus Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Campus Sales Representative

I have been working at Kotis Design (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love that I get to be creative and create apparel for friends and classmates. It is a pretty easy way to make money if you have an eye for design and a heart for customer satisfaction.

Cons

There are not really any downsides to working at Kotis Design. They're based in Seattle, WA, and your campus may not be there, but everyone I've worked with has been excellent!

Advice to Management

Thank you for a great job that has allowed me to use my creativity and interpersonal skills. This job has saved me and not stressed me!

10. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kotis Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work from home designing trendy apparel and promo products

Cons

Fast paced environment, handling up to 40 projects at a time can be stressful but worth it

Advice to Management

Communication with employees is key

11. "Fast-Paced, Emerging Industry Innovator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company is constantly striving for growth and new ways to better serve its customers and employees. Hard-workers with an appetite for personal development will be successful in most positions at Kotis. The work ethic and culture of the company is palpable and leads to an energetic workplace.

Cons

Compensation can be uneven across departments. However, those who thrive in a fast paced and customer driven environment will ultimately be successful. Opportunities for career advancement within positions MUST be earned over time - the company takes on the mantra 'Life is a journey, not a destination.'

Advice to Management

Continue to provide innovative products and solutions in what can sometimes be a mundane industry.

Kotis at times is seen as a transitional company out of college. This can be rectified by Focusing on identifying talent prior to its departure. A strong workforce is ultimately comprised of experienced and goal driven individuals. Make sure these people are cultivated and rewarded for their hard work.