LOYAL3 Reviews | Glassdoor

Barry Schneider

1. "Great Concept"

Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LOYAL3 (More than a year)

Pros

Great concept, "Fee-Free Investing For All". Was a pleasure working in this energetic, innovative start-up in the heart of SV.

Cons

Unfortunately, they fell on hard times, and made a leadership change, thereinafter the ship sunk, and continues to. No insight in to what the vision nor goal of the company was, after the leadership change. Lack of transparency

Advice to Management

Be more honest and transparent, talk to employees more, so the CEO knows when it's time to make hard decisions, the right ones are made.

2. "Worked at Loyal3"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LOYAL3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great place to work. Lot of new cutting edge technologies, You need to set the boundary to do that job, that makes you a great place to work.

Cons

It's a Startup, hence you don't have luxury to get lot of support like (tech support, operation support etc),

Advice to Management

Stupid decisions killed the company

"L3's best is behind them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LOYAL3 (More than a year)

Pros

LOYAL3 employees many quality people, and are conveniently located near public transit for commuters who do not live in San Francisco.

Cons

Even though many great people work there, the culture can still feel abrasive at times. Communication has come a long way, but it is not yet at a satisfactory level.

Advice to Management

A little more transparency from management would really calm the nerves of the staff during the strenuous times. Looks like it was wise to change CEO's.

5. "CSR"

Former Employee - Csr1 in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Csr1 in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LOYAL3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Nice and smart people

Cons

Inconsistent deal flow for IPOs.

Advice to Management

I think you're on the right track.

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Horizontally structured with highly accessible management.
    Incredibly smart and talented team.
    Great pay and benefits.
    This company's goal is a positive disruption in a profit-only industry.

Cons

Some teams fall out of the loop from time to time, but this will be less of a problem as the company grows.

Advice to Management

You are doing a stellar job. Continue to advocate for development from within.

"We geek out often"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are truly a part of something special here. LOYAL3 is a workplace with a highly motivated driven and passionate team. People believe in what they do, why they're doing it and love getting it done.
    If You Speak Up Here - You Will Be Heard. People respect each other, very smart group but equally humble. No big egos.
    Excellent Benefits (healthcare, food drinks & snacks, location, work hours, dress code, onsite amenities, proximity to gyms, restaurants/bars, transportation),
    Environment:
    - Technology and Creative/Idea Driven
    - Team/Family Oriented Relaxed Environment
    - Transparent Semi-Flat Management
    - Low or No Drama Approach to Problem Solving
    And.. We Get Results. This part is so rewarding. 10 big IPOs last year alone. How many Americans do you know who've participated in an IPO on opening day? Ya that's right.. we made it happen.. (toot toot) Proud to be a part of this team.

Cons

Passion and commitment are required. If you don't love and enjoy what you do then it's maybe not the best fit for you. This is not a place for whiny/needy types or complainers. We don't make time for b.s. here. We don't babysit. This isn't a boring 9a-5p pay my bills kind of job. People here want to change the world (to democratize the stock market) and we do.

Loud office environment. Occasionally social conversations get loud and can be distracting. We have an open workspace environment so you can hear/see everything that's going on most of the time. Useful for work collaboration but not so much for socializing. Thank goodness for private meeting rooms.

AND Fire Drills - you better be ready. No need for caffeine on these days. Not really a CON but on these days it can be sometimes stressful and challenging yet worthwhile and gratifying.

Advice to Management

More presence in the local tech community. LOYAL3's 'fin' side is well known on Wall Street and would love to see LOYAL3's 'tech' side showcased more often in Silicon Valley.

"Legal"

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time

Pros

I started at LOYAL3 a couple years ago when it was still a small company with a big idea: to make the stock market accessible to millions of more people by removing transaction fees and making buying and selling "frictionless." The idea was to focus on companies with brand names that the investors liked and supported and to use ownership as a way to build loyalty to these companies. Since then, the vision has expanded to include IPOs, something that very few people had ever had access to at the same price as Wall St. Every employee shares this vision, making it a great place to work. It is now common to get career advice to work at a company where you are passionate about what you do every day. That is what we have at LOYAL3: a team-oriented group that believes passionately in what we do. It's why I'm still working here even though I had originally planned to work here only a year or so (due to my long commute). I get up everyday excited about what I do.

Cons

Big ideas sometimes take a little longer to achieve than originally planned. But our development of the IPO business was a smart move, even though it has extended our "start-up" time period. Lots of work to do every day, so not the place to join if you are the 9-5 type.

Advice to Management

My advice to management, now that we've established beyond any doubt that our platform rocks and we execute flawlessly, is to keep focusing on doing a handful of things better than anyone else before branching out to do more and more things. Keep the tradition of excellence, even as we partner with more and more companies going forward. Also, do whatever it takes to recruit and maintain world-class talent.

"Meaningful job working with high-integrity, passionate, brilliant people"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time

Pros

At LOYAL3 we do work that matters' we're making a difference. This purpose and the company's strong culture make this a wonderful place to work. The CEO likes to emphasize that the company's most precious asset is the people that work here and this philosophy and principle pervades the workplace. No matter how smart you are (or think you are) you're never the smartest person in the room. We also get to work with amazing and cool clients like AMC Theatre, Dave & Buster's, GoPro, Santander and Virgin America to name a few. It's the most important work I've ever done and the best job I've ever had.

Cons

It's the kind of job that requires a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication. The hours are endless whether you're in the office or not. Probably not that dissimilar from a lot of other tech start-ups. There's no "off" button. We're always on. (But it's worth it).

Advice to Management

My advice to management is keep working smart and hard so that we can get more done sooner and change the world faster. Keep hiring world-class talent.The management team is honest and approachable. The work is serious but there's always a good sense of humor throughout.

"A great place to learn as well as work with the coolest people in SF"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The technologies using here are definitely the most advanced among all companies. They really provide you the opportunity to show and prove your idea as well as adapt any new technology you like. No matter you are a new-grad or more senior engineer, you always find that you can learn new stuff and facing challenge everyday. People working here is super friendly and you almost feel like home. It is located in financial district with a gym at the corner which is really convenient for lots of people. It has a relatively flat organization structure and it is really equal opportunity. If you are an engineer, you can always ask any engineer, VP and even CTO to pair with you. Also they provide you pretty good dinner if you works late. Yoga class is provided in the office too.

Cons

Loyal3 is growing rapidly and team splitting, re-grouping and switching happens frequently. It is totally understandable. But if company can keep track of your preview performance after changing your team/manager, it will be great.

Advice to Management

Better ask people's preference before you assign them to a new team. (It has been improving, I believe it won't be a problem in the future)

LOYAL3 Response

Dec 15, 2014 – VP, Operations

Thank you for the review. We pride ourselves on being a flat organization where executives are working alongside their team. Building an amazing company is up to all of us and it sounds like you ... More

"Great firm, great people, a lot of learning and people who really care."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and easily to become great friends with. The work is exciting and challenging at the same time. They really do put culture before everything. The company has a lot of potential.

Cons

A lot of contractors so you have a fair amount of turnover with who you are working with. The company wide monday morning meets can get kind of boring.