KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Language Stars Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2022

Found 79 of over 84 reviews

3.2
Language Stars CEO  Matt Kinnich (no image)
Matt Kinnich

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,930

973 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "The pay could be better.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Just the worst management ever(in 5 reviews)
  • "There is no communication about plans or strategy from the top and it’s pretty clear that the reason is that there simply isn’t a strategy.(in 4 reviews)
  • "No growth opportunity, job is pretty tiresome and unless you are a Spanish speaker, there is no way for you to get enough hours to survive from it.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Now imagine that you have zero background with children or teaching and you are given 3 days or less of training.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Good Experience

Mar 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Language Stars. Leadership and team members were passionate about providing value to students, highly collaborative and always trying to make a difference in students’ and co-workers’ lives. Unfortunately, the business model could not be run profitably and the owners had to shut the business down. I’m now looking for a job, but I understand the need to shut the business down.

Cons

The business is no longer operating.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great environment

Aug 2, 2022 - Foreign Language Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teaching material provided, international staff, amazing students and families

Cons

Salary is low, commutes are Long

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Bad

Aug 4, 2022 - Lead Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

International staff were the best

Cons

Just the worst management ever

4. 2.0
    Current Employee

Good to start

Dec 11, 2021 - Spanish Teacher in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, very easy to have lunch

Cons

They don’t retain clients, the closed classes very easy

5. 1.0

Closed

Aug 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for growth for a self starter. Not micro managed.

Cons

Company closed after 20 years with 48 hours notice back in 2018. I’m writing this to gain access to Glassdoor again.

6. 1.0

Worst management ever

Jun 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Get to know International teachers

Cons

Worst management ever. They amazing treated teachers like disposable people.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company

Nov 2, 2020 - LLS in Lincoln, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good salary good environment no pressure

Cons

No enough fun activities and fun I spare time

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great experience to learn and grow

Mar 4, 2013 - Former Center Director/Regional Director in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was fortunate enough to work in 2 capacities with Language Stars. The first was as a center director during a period of launching new centers. Language Stars afforded me an opportunity to learn how to run a business in many aspects that included sales, finance, and operations. There are very few positions that allow someone to gain that breadth of experience in one position. As I am person who thrives on challenge, this new venture allowed me the opportunity to succeed and fail on numerous occasions. The senior management at Language Stars is extremely patient and allows the managers the opportunity to learn from mistakes, and to use these experiences to create plans that will bring in future success. I was also given the responsibility of running a nascent business as the regional director, and the amount of trust, freedom, and responsibility that senior management gave to me made my time in this position an incredible experience. Language Stars allowed me to help create systems, processes, and procedures. I was able to create the DNA of this business, and helped create a lasting legacy at the company. At Language Stars, you are able to work with an international team, and have more company wide impact, than many other similar positions.

Cons

As the company grows, it gets harder to maintain the little things that made Language Stars great. It is good to focus on what will help Language Stars continue to make center directors and teachers continue to feel empowered as this was vital during the early years.

12 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Great Learning Experience

Aug 19, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work here are passionate, enthusiastic, and for the most part really fun to work with. Fun co-workers Great place to learn & start a career Has a strong culture but is a very good one If you want to work here you better be ready to work very hard

Cons

They do not value work/life balance as much as they should. They need to look for at every employee who works there and make sure they feel supported and respected. This company is going to a major shift right now and needs to remember that it is the people teaching their language are the MOST important. If they don't recognizes this it could hurt them majorly. Management is not very effective at making major decisions. This hurts the ability of all of the directors and center support employees to help the teachers or the employees who report to them. Sometimes management gives tasks that are hard to understand with little to no direction

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Satisfying, Rewarding Career With A Great Team!

Jul 31, 2015 - Center Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

We have a great team at LS, from our upper management to our teachers. When I say team, I mean it; I have never worked in an environment, prior to LS, where my superiors were so easily accessible, or so willing to assist me in any way possible. I know that if I called my regional director at 11:00 pm with a problem (a teacher calling out sick, for example), he will help me to find a substitute. I feel comfortable that my superiors are invested in my own success (which is something I honestly can't say I've had in previous positions prior to working at LS). Besides the fantastic co-workers, we have a wonderful mission. Educating children is extremely worthwhile, very rewarding, and a lot of fun!

Cons

Honestly, nothing extremely negative jumps to mind. If I had to pick one thing, I would say that some of the systems we use could be upgraded. However, upper management is pretty savvy and responsive - I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they are already working on it.

6 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 Reviews

Language Stars Reviews FAQs

Language Stars has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 84 reviews left anonymously by employees. 52% of employees would recommend working at Language Stars to a friend and 47% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Language Stars employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Language Stars. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

52% of Language Stars employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Language Stars 3.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Language Stars to be senior leadership, career development, coworkers and the cons to be culture, compensation, management.