Life Alert Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Isaac Shepher

Pros
Cons
  • The customer service manager is extremely rude and disrespectful to not only the employees but the customers as well (in 5 reviews)

• There is no 401K benefits and the Dental Vision and Health insurance is expensive compared to other companies out there (in 5 reviews)

1. "sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Life Alert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great commissions, work your own hours.

Cons

Very difficult sale dealing with the elderly.

"Got the experience and got out"

Former Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator/Sales Tech in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator/Sales Tech in Encino, CA

I worked at Life Alert full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feels good to "save a life" feels good to help support the elderly Quick hours get you in and out

Cons

High stress environment ran by a management team that don't really care about you no life insurance 401(k) hi demand for kiss butts ppl

Advice to Management

Aim to make your employees happy you to keep them

"Don't come here."

Current Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Encino, CA
    Current Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Encino, CA

I have been working at Life Alert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Save lives
    Nice coworkers
    When dealing with emergencies you learn to take control and handle things on and off the floor.
    Giftcard of 100$ for things like employee of the month and highest qa score

Cons

Let's start off with how they hire people to yell at you to get on as many as you can calls. They pin each other against each other here making it seem like we care. You know what I care about ? Making sure I do a GOOD QUALITY job over quantity. I rather spend 1 more minute making sure my subscriber is absolutely okay. Hire more people we will always need them! It gets busy. And during slow season it's OK the Owner makes so much money. Why not invest in better respone times with hiring more people ?

Favoritism is key here. If they don't like you you're screwed they will do what it takes to either fire you or get you to quit.

Also we wear hideous security uniform while the rest of the company dresses as they please. The uniform s are also recycled from past employees.

Let's also not forget about how much the insurance that is offered here is ridiculously pricey and not even good. How am I supposed to be able to afford Healthcare from here with all the bullies I have now?

We have so many things we need to do. Do not apply if you can't multitask. The cherry ontop is that we don't really make as much as we should. I know basic receptionists that pay about the same for less work.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, quit firing people over the fact you don't like them, better insurance, friendlier atmosphere. Don't treat people like little kids we want to have a job so let us do it. Higher pay for all that we do. Show us we are important. Either make the entire company wear uniforms or casual.

"A company with a great service run by the wrong people."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Life Alert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be a part of saving lives
    No dress code
    Flexible hours (this is a trick though!)
    Good commissions (there's a catch though!)
    Superior EMERGENCY service for members (regular service is another story)

Cons

Atrocious management
    Deception on a level you've never seen before
    Terrible marketing
    Complete disregard for the Latino community or any one who doesn't speak English
    Favortism and politics
    Atrocious system for generating leads

Advice to Management

-Stop treating a sales office like a casino (yes, the manager at the office I worked at used those words specifically to describe how leads and call-ins were distributed)
    -Make a commercial or advertisement in Spanish. You'd be amazed at how many Latinos need the service
    -Get rid of your brochure center in Ohio
    -Give your reps better support. You think your meetings and constant berating of reps helps. It only brings morale down. Try to help reps develop their strengths and fix their weaknesses
    -Stop treating your admin so poorly. They hate you and loathe their jobs
    -Stop favoring reps that kiss butt and play politics

6. "Good job"

Pros

Nice people to work with in Dispatch. Easy work. Flexible hours. Convenient location. Make a difference in people's lives. Pay is decent. Training is comprehensive.

Cons

Have to work weekends. Waiting list for parking. No 401k benefits. Health insurance is expensive. Adding family to health insurance is prohibitive.

7. "Great Company to Start Call Center Experience"

Former Employee - Emergency Dispatcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Emergency Dispatcher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Life Alert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors are flexible when it has to do with school, yes it is a full time job but they understand if you are going to school. It is a full time job and you will be required to work 40 hours a week and will work weekends no questions ask. As your seniority increases , you are more likely to get a better schedule with weekends off. They are very reasonable with the employees. You definitely want to stand out and be a good employee, you will get recognized if you do. It is a call center that deals with people's lives so do not expect to have any down time while you are on the clock.

Cons

The Shift Supervisors could be difficult at times, they yell to take new calls and walk around ensuring that you are taking as many calls as you can. It can become very stressful at times and the supervisors do not make it any easier when they are walking around military style. This job is not for everyone, if you can not multi task or work in a fast paced environment, this is not the job for you. You get a 30 minute lunch , which would be nice to have an hour away from the call center. They require you to wear a uniform that they recycle from previous employees. There is no 401K benefits and the Dental Vision and Health insurance is expensive compared to other companies out there.

Advice to Management

The company should get bought out by a corporation, so the company can have a better business structure and better resources. The insurance prices would drop if a corporation bought it out, design the call center to look like an enjoyable place to work instead of having a white and gray look. Have supervisors tone it down a bit and help the call center with calls more often.

8. "It really wasn't that bad.."

Former Employee - Tech Support in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Encino, CA

I worked at Life Alert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first started, I was a little worried because of the reviews I had read about the Tech Service position - but I didn't let it really get to me which I'm thankful for because I ended up enjoying the position.

The main thing I read people complain about is the training, co-workers and the management.

Yeah the training class isn't as long as some would prefer, but I learned a lot more by shadowing people, answering my own calls and asking questions.

There were some upper levels that weren't all that approachable, but the ones that were, were great - like Art and Arthur were pretty awesome and willing to help if you had any questions. Two great guys. Also, the floor manager wasn't as bad as people make him out to be. I thought he was cool - and his wife was awesome. Just do your job and do it correctly, or if you make a mistake at least make an attempt to resolve and address it. No one is perfect. I don't think they expect everyone to be.

Of course, just like any other job, there are clicks and politics within - but I didnt pay too much attention. I was there to work, but I do appreciate meeting and getting to know some of the people I did. They were pretty awesome.

I would have stayed longer but I had to leave due to medical reasons that came to me by surprise. Overall, It's a job - helps pay the bills and have some spending cash, it isn't too hard once you grasp the concept and get comfortable with troubleshooting, and some people were awesome to work with. Don't get caught up in the politics.

It's customer service. So you have to kind of have a thick skin and not take things to heart. Try to empathize and see where the customer is coming from.

Cons

I wasn't there for too long to be able to get to know the company in and out, but It did seem like there wasn't a lot of room for schedule flexibility. Might want to verify just in case you are a student.

Favoritism, rude co-workers, high turnover rate, management - were things employees warned me about. I saw a few employees argue with one another, and some even spend their lunch upset about co-workers/management. So, you did see it, but like I mentioned, I was there to work not to get lost in the sauce.

Irate customers were common, but thats out of Life Alerts hands. Technology isnt 100%, which is why we have support for it - so just try to empathize and look at the customer as a person, a person you WANT to help, not a number.

Benefits are eh and I was told to not expect a raise because It's a rarity. If I would have known, I would have asked for more starting because some people did and I just kind of accepted what was given. Seems like they have room to budge too.

Advice to Management

Overall, I can't complain. It's a job. You all were nice to me, and my situation. So, I am thankful for that. Perhaps maybe have shadowing a little longer, or someone watching you take your calls for the first couple days you start.

9. "Terrible company"

I worked at Life Alert part-time

Pros

Flexibility to set own hours

Cons

Misleading subscriber long hours grinding on the phone

Advice to Management

Not a good employer to treat employees with good pay

"Sucks"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Encino, CA

I worked at Life Alert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not any pros of working for this horrible company

Cons

The most unprofessional company I have ever worked for.

11. "It's a job"

Pros

Money is easily earned and there's a lot of potential.

Cons

Sales is always a challenge. But worth the commission. And I don't like being away from my family.

Advice to Management

None