Lighthouse Academies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Khori Whittaker

Pros
  • There are some very dedicated teachers and very sweet students (in 2 reviews)

• The people really care about each other and the scholars (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect long hours: 7a-4p and a 190 day school year, mandatory extra daily duties, shortened summer break and barely functioning facilities (in 4 reviews)

• high turnover makes collegial relationships difficult to form (in 3 reviews)

1. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in Bronx, NY

Pros

Great organization with visionary leadership. Organization puts the needs of children first and works collaboratively across its network of schools.

Cons

Improved health coverage would make our organization 5-star.

2. "Associate Teacher"

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kids are pleasant and parents seem to care. Most of the teacher put in effort, and many stay for at least a few years. The office staff is part of the family, and there are a lot of social and collaborative events.

Cons

many of the staff is TFA and can thus be cliquish. Also, there is a bit of a disconnect between admin and staff. The consequence system isn't school-wide, and so it's a bit difficult once the kids get sent to the reflection room. Often times the reports pile up.

3. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Jacksonville, AR
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Jacksonville, AR

Pros

Good training opportunities, awesome Principal

Cons

Extra hours, longer school year, more PD hours required.

"LHA Paraprofessional Review"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Chicago, IL

Pros

Teachers genuinely care for student and do their best work for them. The school overall is very resilient when faced with deficiencies and adversities that come against the school.

Cons

The school is missing a core discipline structure. Students and staff don't meet regularly to build common norms, culture, and language. There is no consistent tangible goal that represents the school or what we are striving toward every day (overall sense of purpose).

"Corporate Employee"

Current Employee - Controller in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Controller in Tampa, FL

Pros

Lighthouse Academies has a mission and vision to improve the lives of minority and low-income students by giving them a program designed to help them believe in themselves, believe that they matter and that they can do great things. Being a part of this company is so rewarding when we hear the stories of students and how Lighthouse Academies has impacted their lives and helped them reach goals they never thought attainable. We are making a difference for the future here at Lighthouse Academies.
    The people who are Lighthouse Academies are passionate about the mission and it shows in their dedication and commitment to their positions and the company as a whole. I feel good working for this company with these people.

Cons

Lighthouse Academies has schools in several states making getting to know fellow team members more difficult. Emails and phone calls are not the best way to get to know someone and build a relationship. At times you can feel disconnected from the team and alone, unless intentional communication is initiated.

Advice to Management

The best advice I could offer is to be sure to hire not only qualified candidates, but also those who are passionate about the mission of Lighthouse Academies. It will take more time and resources to find those candidates, but it will be worth it, with lower turnover and more dedicated employees.

"Headquarters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wesley Chapel, FL

Pros

A true sense of community and cooperation-all of us working towards helping or supporting those in our schools who are giving those children opportunities they may not have without Lighthouse Academies.

Wonderful benefits!

Cons

High turnover resulting from challenging environments where our schools are located.

Being a nonprofit organization there are limited resources for additional staff or optional school activities.

Advice to Management

Encourage more fund raising activities.

Stronger branding of the Lighthouse name

8. "Indianapolis Lighthouse"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Learning responsibility firsthand
    Amazing benefits
    An empowering environment
    ‘At-will’ employment

Cons

Longer school year Longer hours

9. "Lighthouse Academies - Schools That Are Centered Around Scholars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Pros

I have been employed with LHA for the past six (plus) years and have countless positive things to share about the organization. After extensive research on charters in the NYC area and finding that LHA's mission and vision aligned with my own, I was compelled to join the team after a thorough and positive hiring process. I was overwhelmed by the personal attention given to me as a potential and then new employee who was thoroughly onboarded by an experienced and dynamic leader. Throughout my tenure with LHA, I have seen the organization grow in countless ways. This includes but is not limited to regular self-reflection and plans to improve based on areas of need, being a scholar-centered organization that puts children and their families as the ultimate stakeholders, and the Professional Development that is provided to leaders and teachers/staff alike, just to name a few. I highly recommend Lighthouse Academies to anyone who is dedicated to scholar achievement and addressing the needs of the whole child, relentlessly pursues excellence in all that they do, and is willing to go above and beyond on behalf of our children, no matter how challenging the task at hand may be.

Cons

Lighthouse Academies recently shifted towards a Restorative Justice approach; this is a positive shift and will require intense support and development of all staff, which I know schools are excited to take on in their work.

"Teacher"

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies full-time

Pros

This school has higher pay and better benefits compared to other schools in the area. The students make coming to work easier.

Cons

The constant change in leadership causes scores to continue to suffer, but all issues in the classroom are blamed on the teachers. Due to constant change of principals we often higher weak and ineffective leadership.

Advice to Management

When teachers who have been with the school longer then you give you advice, you should listen to them. We want the best for children and this company needs to stop focusing on money and start treating this as a school.

"Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very dedicated teachers and very sweet students.

Cons

The leadership is very young and inexperienced. The principal was often the last person to work and let her office staff make difficult parent phone calls for her because she didn't like the confrontation.

There is a very cliquish atmosphere with administration playing favorites to their friends or those they are dating. There is also favoritism towards students who look like the principal.

The principal is inconsistent with feedback and will say some things are allowable only to change her mind after a Nationals visit.

It is a very frustrating place to work. The closest thing I could relate it to is giving the kids the keys to the house for the weekend. The on-site leaders act more like they're playing school verses actually having any knowledge of how to run a school.

Be prepared to work an extra hour a day and 10 extra days a year for slightly more money than you'd get if you worked for the public district. And be prepared to follow a canned curriculum regardless of your student's ability levels. Also, be prepared to be thrown under the bus if the principal feels her job is on the line.

Additionally, be prepared to buy from the principal's clothing business to stay in her "in" group.

Advice to Management

You owe these kids, parents and teachers better leadership than what you are currently giving them. There's little to distinguish this school from any other public school surrounding it. Go ahead and take Arts Infusion out of the title because outside of having an art teacher and stapling art to the wall the curriculum you provide is not arts infused.