Lighthouse Academies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Khori Whittaker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are some very dedicated teachers and very sweet students (in 3 reviews)

• All do seem to care for the kids but inconsistent with consequences and admin has pets that also are treated differently (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not so great pay (in 5 reviews)

• Little to no support for the Staff members (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great experience working at LHA. I had an incredible boss with a vision for excellence. I had autonomy in how I operated.

Cons

The fight to survive in a challenging charter sector can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. "Be ready to sign your life away"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, AR
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, AR

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family-feel between staff
    Students are sweet
    People are polite

Cons

Extreme work load with unrealistic expectations
    Very political
    Expectations of my job description changed after interview

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and budget finances and workload with teachers' wellbeing in mind.

"Fair former employee"

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies full-time

Pros

Working with a group of dedicated teachers and staff who care about students and their academic achievement.

Cons

Too much turnover within the national organization. There was a lack of vision and consistency. The organization did not prioritize keeping top talent.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teachers worked very hard. Despite LH not providing viable resources for many teachers paid out of pocket for curriculum, resources and decorations for their classrooms.

Cons

They tend to hire inexperienced staff and leaders. The corporate leaders came to visit the school quarterly and each experience was incredibly negative.

Advice to Management

I'd reiterate what others are saying regarding your COO. He tended to be arrogant and talk down to staff. When he investigated rumors that school admin asked teachers to read state tests prior to giving them he made threats to staff. While covering for administrators. I understand pushing teachers to grow, but this guy seems to just be brought along to be the bad guy...a job he adequately fulfills...the only gains that were achieved through this were to his own ego.

"Corporate is causing this CMO to fail"

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time

Pros

The school building is nice.

Cons

The mission and vision are not being met due to constant turnover and a lack of transparency and honesty. There is a lack of trust with Lighthouse. The senior leaders lack vision and expertise.

Advice to Management

Really look at your data and make much better decisions. Listen to the feedback of school leaders and TRUE educators and not corporate types who think they know about education.

6. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Teaching in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Teaching in Gary, IN

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a great experience thus far!!! As a staff member I am fully supported, by my colleagues and leadership. Even as a teacher I have been able to build great relationships with students and families.

Cons

I honestly have no push back on my school thus far. If there was a con, it would be that people have to change their own personal outlook so that we can continue to shift the culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to utilize and promote good people. It is necessary to allow good people who are motivated to grow and gain new opportunities to keep them motivated.

"Glad to be gone!"

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having the holidays and vacation days off. I really can't think of any pros for this company. There are some great friendships that were made.

Cons

Long hours, no support system to get help, requires you to have too many PD hours. They do not care about their employees. The pay is less than the public school districts. There is no technology, computers have not been updated, they barely have supplies and they are not offering what they said they would.

Advice to Management

Administration needs to be looked at starting with the human resource guy that goes around to the school to the regional Vice Presidents. They are running the school like a business instead of a school. Administration does not care about teachers opinion and requires so much to where they are loosing great teachers because of their practices. They continue to hire inexperience teachers with a basic background check. They need to offer better professional development for all teachers and administration. Also allow employees to give feedback about the school and administration without being fired for saying something.

8. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Lighthouse Academies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary and Benefits, good staff relations.

Cons

Little to no support for the Staff members. Disconnect between Staff and Administration. Unreasonable expectations vs support.

Advice to Management

More coaching, support and a better staff development with hands on support to implement it.

9. "Reaching That Next Level"

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies full-time

Pros

Lighthouse is taking steps everyday to reach that next level. Every year they acquire new resources including last year's new chromebook carts for classroom use.

Cons

Better testing routines and scheduling to decrease scholar frustration.

"Clueless"

Current Employee - Teacher in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Teacher in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies full-time

Pros

All do seem to care for the kids but inconsistent with consequences and admin has pets that also are treated differently. Benefits suck, and hours of work are way more than a pubic school

Cons

Restorative justice doesn't work and the kids get away with practically murder! Admin wais to last minute to do anything and poor communication

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same: kids, staff, everyone! Give staff a break and quit expecting so much we're only human and can only take so much dealing with street kids