Lightspeed Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Lightspeed CEO Dax Dasilva
Dax Dasilva
Cons

"Great Summer Experience and Learning"

I have been working at Lightspeed

Pros

- Amazing learning - helpful mentors - more than enough salary and advice for your start-up

Cons

- Want more meetings with advisors - WOuld like to learn more about VC business in general

Lightspeed2018-05-14

Lightspeed Response

August 1, 2018HR Business Partner

Thanks for your short and sweet review. We’re happy to know that you learned a thing or two while working here. There is definitely a ton of knowledge sharing and cross collaboration at Lightspeed. Thanks again!

• "Developer"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Lightspeed

Pros

Great lead developers. They're very helpful in helping new devs learn the code and understanding the process.

Cons

Occasional development slowdowns. Process isn't fine tuned yet, but its getting better

Lightspeed2016-01-19

"Great early tech company."

I have been working at Lightspeed

Pros

Everyone has a positive attitude, the product is great, and the company is growing quickly so it's a good time to join.

Cons

No work/ life balance. Quotas are too simple, they only care about top line revenue. Not a lot of room for promotion.

Lightspeed2015-12-01

"A+ Players Only"

I have been working at Lightspeed full-time

Pros

- Great compensation for those who aim to achieve or over achieve - Fun work environment, great culture, still a start up in many ways - Work with likeminded people that are driven by success and taking this company forward - Tons of room for growth but be prepared to work hard for it

Cons

- Lightspeed has been doubling its business every year, so this means long hours and long weeks. A con for some but a pro for others. If you're a 9-5er, you will not be happy. If you're not willing to work 40+ hours a week and accelerate your career and earning potential, don't apply.

Advice to Management

- Communication is key, especially as we grow. Keeping everyone informed on our vision and direction is important. - Measure twice and cut once with new hires.

Lightspeed2015-11-02

"Great people poor work/life"

Former Employee - SMB Account Executive

I worked at Lightspeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, fun to be around, work hard-party harder environment

Cons

terrible work/life balance, sales methods and quotas are unreasonably high

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales people. Take their advice on how to make selling your product easier. As it stands customers can see that the way we sell the product is far from their best interest.

Lightspeed2015-09-01

"Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Lightspeed full-time for more than a year

Pros

Building something incredible. Competitive group that wins.

Cons

Haven't found one yet. No complaints yet.

Lightspeed2014-09-22

"Customer Support Hero"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Lightspeed full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful environment, tons of opportunity for personal growth and career advancement, with a truly amazing team. Lots of amazing events and benefits for employees. Plus, in our office there is a corgi. Beat that!

Cons

The highly variable nature can sometimes be quite challenging and unpredictable.

Advice to Management

I would say keep doing what you are doing! LightSpeed is growing exponentially fast and with that, I think the greatest test for management is going to be to keep what makes this company so great to work for consistent throughout the growth.

Lightspeed2013-09-27

"Humble beginnings to a crescendo of Greatness. Our prime has yet to be reached and the end is nowhere in sight."

Current Employee - QA/Support in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Lightspeed full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small, start-up feel to the company. Great starting pay. Much higher than the local average. Fantastic company culture that is supplemented by wonderful people. Amazing office space. It's a corgi's dream come true. Low-interference management and plenty of opportunity to expand your role in the company. No one here has ever told me that I can't do/pursue something without a solid reason behind it.

Cons

Not enough companies like this exist. The management style doesn't fit everyone. Small teams = more delays, slower response times. The flip side of giving people the time they need for themselves is that core members are not always available. It forces newer employees to improvise or adapt to fulfill their role.

Advice to Management

Flatness is a good thing. While titles may be important to some it can encourage others to pass the buck. I'd strongly recommend a day trip to Valve to understand why their model works so well and how we can apply it to our ever-expanding team.

Lightspeed2013-09-04

"Challenging and fast-paced with great leadership"

I have been working at Lightspeed full-time for less than a year

Pros

-High growth with lots of potential and opportunity. -Results oriented environment. -Excellent leadership: Dax (CEO) is an ideal leader. -Exciting challenges to take on at every level of the company. -Awesome products in the market and in the pipeline. -Design oriented culture produces work we can all be proud of.

Cons

-High growth leads to some chaos. -Fast-paced environment can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

It's time to get serious about defining and promoting company values. As we continue to grow this will be even more vital.

Lightspeed2013-09-05

"Some nice things to do. Choose your team carefully"

Current Employee - Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Lightspeed full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people, good perks (food, RRSP…), amazing office, growing.

Cons

I’ve been working for some time in payments at Lightspeed. I was lucky enough to work on high impact projects with some remarkable people. Unfortunately for a few months now, the team has been in a painful downward spiral. Culminating today with an appalling product vision. If you consider joining Lightspeed, be sure to select your team carefully. Ask to meet as many of your future colleagues as possible, and not just...

Advice to Management

Do more to keep talents in. It is such a waste to see that most of the people who had a significant impact either left or are leaving. And please review the hiring process. Using random industry buzzwords shouldn’t be enough to get a senior/management position at a major POS company.

Lightspeed2019-05-28

Lightspeed Response

June 13, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for sharing. We’re glad to know that you were able to work on impactful projects during your time with us. Life at Lightspeed moves quickly, and our intention is to continue to build on our products vision and roadmap. There are always improvements that can be made, and ...

Found 170 reviews