MDRC Reviews

MDRC President  Virginia Knox
Virginia Knox
1 Rating
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance is not a priority here and senior staff do not do a great job at modeling this(in 5 reviews)

• "Not enough communication between policy areas(in 4 reviews)

"Research Assistant (generalist)"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are great. Co-workers are even better. Can't believe how great my boss is & how welcoming my team-members are. Fortunate to have found a place where I get to work on something I feel passionate about while working in such a great environment.

Cons

Depending on who you work with, somewhat hierarchical. I don't experience that myself but have witnessed it with other teams & have heard from other people that my boss is the best about that kind of issue.

2. "Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at MDRC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with super intelligent, thoughtful and committed individuals Interesting research projects and can be challenging at times (which is a good thing because you'll never be bored) Organization offers a mentoring program for junior staff and graduate school panels for staff Reputable organization, experience looks great on a resume Organization is moving to become more inclusive and be more diverse Beautiful and collaborative office space

Cons

Management looks different across the board and across different policy areas Lack of transparency in promotion processes and policies Surprisingly there are a lot of missed opportunities to learn across the different policy areas Work-life balance is not a priority here and senior staff do not do a great job at modeling this

Continue reading

"Great Mission and a very collaborative environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at MDRC for a little while now and it's been a positive experience thus far. The organization has a great mission and my colleagues are all passionate about the work they do. They've been intentional about having an inclusive environment set in place and strive to strengthen it by providing staff training and communications around topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion. There's also been a push for more consistent feedback to both staff and management across the organization aside from the norm of annual performance reviews.

Cons

Being too collaborative has also lead to any decision that needs to be made, on the slow side, as often times there may be too many cooks in the kitchen.

Continue reading
  4. "Experiences Vary Widely"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

co-workers are amazing people mentoring program diverse work opportunities for growth encouraged

Cons

all pros are subject to variety based on your managers/supervisors promotion happens slowly work can be siloed if management does not encourage exploring

Continue reading

"Revolving Door – People don’t stay, low ball you"

1.0
    Current Employee - Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than a year

Pros

People come to when when they want to , take off when they want to , even take unpaid days off. Low paying job, they try to low ball you and try to get you at the lower rate and when it come to raises, they give their top boss the money and feed you table scraps.

Cons

No growth, don't reach team members equally - favoritism big time.

Continue reading

"Important and interesting place to work, but bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at MDRC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and friendly colleagues The research is rigorous and demanding - challenges that can prompt professional growth

Cons

The organization is slow to change and some units/staff are hierarchical The bar to getting promoted from Analyst to Associate is high

7. "Library Assistant"

I have been working at MDRC full-time

Pros

MDRC is a great organization dedicated to evidence based research to help the social policy populations they work with. The company just moved to a great new office with a view. They have a congenial work environment with friendly, dedicated staff that support each other.

Cons

The new office location is in an expensive area and there are less cheap food options around.

"Research Assistant"

I worked at MDRC full-time

Pros

Projects are run by interdisciplinary teams who are committed to the work at hand and incredibly smart. I was able to develop a whole suite of transferable skills while building close relationships with supervisors and project directors. The quality and feel of the job will be project dependent: some are fascinating, cutting-edge projects, while others are more traditional (reform tweaks) that might not be so interesting.

Cons

It has an amazing reputation, but don't expect to get much outward facing credit for the work as an entry-level staff member. You'll be internally valued. They are sought out because they conduct "objective" research grounded in sound methodology and aimed at generalizable result. If you are more advocacy minded, this might not be the best fit.

"Technical Analyst II"

I have been working at MDRC full-time

Pros

Great work environment and interesting work and opportunity to learn many skills.

Cons

The salaries are low because it is a nonprofit.

10. "Great place to work"

I worked at MDRC part-time

Pros

Super smart staff, lovely people, friendly, Democratic, great mission

Cons

Coddle their junior staff too much

Found 52 reviews