MVM Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin P. Marquez

Pros
  • Great place moving in the right direction (in 5 reviews)

• I've met some great people over the years (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • We are successful in maintaining our ridiculously high turnover rate and revolving door philosophy (in 4 reviews)

• The pay looks good, but stay away (in 3 reviews)

1. "Transportation Specialist"

Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at MVM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of overtime, good
     hours

Cons

Need to be prepared for some slow seasons.

Advice to Management

You are on your own. Need to be a quick learner...

"Shift Commander"

Current Employee - Major, Shift Commander in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Major, Shift Commander in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at MVM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely dysfunctional, Corporate not in touch with operations. However great salary.

Cons

Stress level undeniable, and overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics

"Analytic Linguist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MVM part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with Law Enforcement... that's it.

Cons

I wish they would stop writing their own reviews... It makes me laugh to think they need to do it because people can't say anything good about them.

1. They think they own you. As an employee you have no control over your schedule, you could work morning or night and weekends. Don't even try to ask for days off because they will treat you as a sinner.
    2. Keeping you as a part-time employee, even though they over work you, just so when they don't have enough work, they can let you go without any obligation from their part.
    3. Very poor management and they play "favorites" for everything, scheduling, giving days off, adding you or removing you from cases... because they are also jealous of others requesting you and you being better than their "favorites". They will give you work if they like you, otherwise forget about it.
    4. The high standards they claim to have is just a lie, no integrity, they do not care for their employees at all... just take a look at what they offer you.

They have a very high turnover rate so it's not just me thinking this way.

Please, do not believe what I say and see it with your own eyes by accepting a job offer from them. You will regret it.

Advice to Management

Be a leader, you are not in high school anymore.
    Train and trust your employees.
    Employees are the biggest asset and investment you have, realize you are nothing without them and offer them a salary and benefits that are fair and will give them great work-life balance, which is non existent at the moment.

5. "Growing Company with a Great Reputation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at MVM full-time

Pros

Great place moving in the right direction. The company takes a great deal of pride in their work. The core management team has worked together for a number of years and all seems to share the same philosophy of providing great support to customers and rewarding strong performance.

Cons

It's a mid-sized company that is tackling some big projects. They've always been successful, but it can be challenging and stressful because the resources and systems sometimes lag behind the need. But each new success seems to build new strengths and capabilities, and it gives people who are seeking new responsibilities plenty of opportunity to shine if they want to.

Advice to Management

Don't get so busy that you forget to communicate with all the people that are going to be affected by a new contract win.

6. "Solid Income in professional setting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at MVM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Straight eight hour shift. Recession proof

Cons

Not enough variety on daily basis

7. "Off to a good start"

Current Employee - Management in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at MVM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing, re-branded and stable. Internally, many things are always improving, With the company expanding, there are some associated growing pains; however, leadership provides quality messaging updates as much as possible. All in all, it's a great place to work; provides opportunities for people to learn and the company really encourages everyone to grow personally and excel on one professional career path - but "you have to want it and do the work"

Cons

Rapid growth includes "growing pains" w/change in process/procedures etc. It's not a con, it comes w/the need for change in order to become the company management envisions.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for Senior Management and think they are the market leaders in the industry we service. The consistent high standards they set on management and employees, is needed in order for the continuous success of the company,

"Security Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at MVM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay. Otherwise no "pro's."

Cons

You are just a body and $$$ to them. They don't care WHO'S in the uniform, as long as SOMEONES in it. Oh and their "health insurance" is so bad you're better off with Obamacare.

Advice to Management

Actually give a crap about who you hire, don't lay them off and then fire them for being disabled.......

"Take action don't be a sponge absorbing all the hate!!!"

Former Employee - Custody Officer in San Pedro, CA
    Former Employee - Custody Officer in San Pedro, CA

I worked at MVM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Contract salary and union involved to help ease the brutality by leaders. Holidays and Birthdays are 3x hourly making us look forward to working them

Cons

Management , supervision, and k/A employees making it difficult to do your job. Also lack of skills from top down. That's why I help shutdown Terminal Island Detention Center in CA oooopss!!!

Advice to Management

Show transparency to all not just your managers, we all work to make a good environment , but when you have managers pushing sometimes , employees are more well informed than managers as I proved to you

10. "Good money, everything else is lack luster."

Current Employee - Protective Security Officer in Charlotte Amalie, VI
    Current Employee - Protective Security Officer in Charlotte Amalie, VI

I have been working at MVM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of my co workers are ok, the money is good because you're constantly doing mandatory "overtime", that's about it.

Cons

Terrible insurance, no job security, people are constantly getting fired or quitting, hard to get in contact with HR, faulty equipment, lack of training.

Advice to Management

Care MORE about your employees

"The worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Operations in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Operations in Ashburn, VA

I worked at MVM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed what I was doing. I have met great people.

Cons

By far, the worst experience ever. Management has no respect for you as an employee. They don’t care if you have family, friends or other commitments. You are expected to work all the time without comp time or any appreciation for your time. NO flexible schedule whatsoever. Be ready to not make it to your kids school activities and practices. You are not allowed to have your own opinion. Once you voice it, you will be fired. As few others have mentioned, CEO has no idea how employees are treated by mid management. Turnover is extremely high! Company is run by ‘friends and family’ therefore there is no one ever to go to. HR isn’t helpful either. Management does what they want and always gets away with it. Absolute lack of communication and training. Don't believe all the positive reviews here, there are written by said "friends and family" to help with ratings.

Advice to Management

Invest in management training before you lose any more people. Hire more people. Offer better salary and benefits. Change your culture. RESPECT the people that are working hard for you. CEO – take an objective look at your company and your leadership, ‘family and friends’ management style isn’t working out and only drowning your company. You can’t succeed without a great team. As of now, you are losing hardworking and smart people.

MVM Response

Jun 10, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your job at MVM. As you make reference to in your feedback, MVM has been a successful family-owned business since 1979. Since that time, our employees have built a ... More