Madwire Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Madwire Co-Founders & Co-CEOs Joe Kellogg & JB Kellogg
Joe Kellogg & JB Kellogg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Laid Back Work Environment (name another company that has a planned Nerf Gun free for all fight)" (in 31 reviews)

• "Your hard work will get recognized" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing too fast and new ME's just can't grow their books quick enough" (in 18 reviews)

• "As I said, it's a fast-paced environment, and that's not for everyone" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Followed Through"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Madwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, clear goals, developmental mindset for those seeking to improve, company genuinely cares about its people, competitive, encourages advancement

Cons

Sometimes communication can me muddled with so many channels

Advice to Management

Keep following through on your amazing reputation

"Couldn't Ask for A Better Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything about this place. The culture is unreal, and the support from other people on the floor drives you to be the best version of your self every single day. Couldn't ask for a better opportunity.

Cons

If you aren't a hard worker, this job isn't for you. The effort you put in is reflected..

Jan 25, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Totally agree. If you're willing to put in the effort, the successes will follow.

3. "What You Can Do For Your Career In One Year"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Madwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible team, positive culture, growth mindset both individually and collaboratively.

You can fast track your career for success and gain and immense level of real-world experience in a very short time in this organization. It will not be easy, but nothing worth being proud of ever is. I can reflect on one year of employment and feel extremely proud of my personal growth, my professional development, and feel empowered as an team member to bring everything I have to the table.

Through this year's challenges, I have solidified a formidible level of experience and confidene in a wide range of business growth situations. Tackling the challenges many small business owners face on a day to day basis is demanding. Having the incredible talent and culture we have is vital to enabling Marketing Executives like myself successful.

Who's better than us? Nobody.

Cons

Don't expect it to be easy. (This is not a con for me)

Advice to Management

Keep having our backs and guiding our vision - onward and upward!

Jan 25, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Thanks for the feedback. Onward and upward!

4. "I LOVE THIS PLACE!"

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't say enough about the environment and culture at Madwire. You're surrounded with motivated, driven people with a success-oriented mindset. Management is second to none. I knew I wanted to work here the second I heard about Madwire couldn't be happier where I'm at.

Cons

I can't think of any, but don't take the job if you're not willing to work hard, or if you like being micromanaged.

Jan 25, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Agreed. Micromanagement is a bad word around here. We're looking for hard working self-motivated people!

5. "The Hardest Job That You'll Ever Love"

Current Employee - Lead Ad Specialist in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Ad Specialist in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Madwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will always be challenged and pushed for growth. If you have a learners mentality, you'll love this job and never be bored.

Cons

Huge amount to learn to excel

Jan 16, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you love the job and the challenges that come along with it!

6. "Great place to learn the business"

Current Employee - Reputation Specialist in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Reputation Specialist in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere and learning environment at Madwire are second to none. Each day you are challenged with new objectives that ultimately make you a better employee that is more equipped to work with individual clients

Cons

stress levels can get to you sometimes but as long as you remember the goal at the end of the day it is all manageable

Advice to Management

Come each day ready to work and grow

Jan 16, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Amen on coming to work everyday to work and grow. Never stop growing!

"Best Job I've Had"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Madwire has a very positive team-oriented work environment full of hardworking and supportive people. The fast-paced, fun-loving culture keeps things interesting yet I still feel encouraged to put in 100% effort to help my team succeed.

We also have great leadership in Joe and JB who set the bar for work ethic and both make an effort to know everyone's names even at a 600+ people.

Cons

The openness can be distracting at times while trying to focus on design work, but that comes with the ability to collaborate and approach coworkers more easily.

Jan 2, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear it's the best job you've ever had!

8. "Amazing Company I moved to be part of!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work/Life Balance (Pretty much always work 7am-4pm)
    - Freedom to show Initiative & be creative
    - Pro Family environment
    - Growing quickly and lots of potential for positions and future
    - Smart, Motivated & Welcoming Co-Workers
    - Laid Back Work Environment (name another company that has a planned Nerf Gun free for all fight)
    - Management support with decisions and even problems. There are no scapegoats, even people from other teams happily help you when you need it.
    - Consistent Bonuses

I worked at a tech company before and hated it. Here you are not just helping small businesses grow (which is highly rewarding), but have the ability to change the direction of your team. I never dread going into work, even when things are a little stressful.

I chose to move and work for Madwire because I saw the potential not just for being able to move up personally, but also for the company!

Cons

The only downside that I see that the pay is lower than at other companies. I knew this going in, and when balanced with the incredible work environment it's still an easy win!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I would recommend trying to be more competitive with pay though as it would be terrible for people to have to switch companies simply based on that.

Jan 10, 2019 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Thank you for this feedback! Glad to hear all the pros! On the starting pay side, we may start lower in some positions, but we ramp up very quickly. For experienced employees (2+ years), our average... More

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Ad Operations Specialist in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Ad Operations Specialist in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are great and extremely supportive. When joining the company, everyone is there to help you succeed, improve, and do the best you can. Almost a full year in and it's still the same. Furthermore, the company's culture is unmatched. Not only are we encouraged to help our colleagues but you're also encouraged to help the community throughout the entire year. Volunteering is becoming a big part of the company, and I believe in our mission to help small businesses grow; which I truly believe we are doing a great job at. Every Friday for our tag-ups, the owner preaches words of encouragement and motivation. It always gets me motivated to work and it makes me feel more confident has an individual. In addition, for a relatively large company, we are moving lighting fast. There is a ton of opportunity to advance and one day be in a leadership position.

Cons

I was asked this question during my review and I had a hard time answering the question. To this day it still is difficult to answer.
    Typically, large companies have different issues as there are many groups coordinating to improve the company, a bit of political, bureaucracy, etc., etc. We work as one to accomplish our goals and vision for the future.

Advice to Management

Keep chopping wood!

Dec 13, 2018 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Thank you for the feedback! A supportive team culture is key to success!

"Where do I start?"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Madwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

M-F 7am-4pm is consistent if you have a family.

Generally, the culture is positive.

Interesting People work at Madwire that make it enjoyable.

Gym and food on the Premise.

Cons

Sales Reps are slamming through sales because they have pressure to make a sale knowing that clients do not have the proper budget. Time and time again I saw this on the sales floor. This creates unrealistic expectations and puts an extreme burden on the marketing side of the business and because of the breakneck speed of hiring the ball was being dropped left and right. Over promises and Underdelivering.

The commision structure changed 5 times while I was there. Thus the sales process changed many times. That hurt morale and peoples paychecks.
    Seemed like the upper management was digging to try and find a way to squeeze out more sales and it just came out as being reactive instead of proactive.

Seemed like every month I was there good talent was walking away from the job on both the sales floor and the marketing side. Why?

The sales training process was mediocre at best.

Also, the lack of KPIs at the company lead to wide range of managing styles on the sales floor with some Seniors really doing a good job with not much direction and some doing really bad hiding behind a screen of politics.

I was told I would get 70 leads a month.
    I never got over 50 the entire time of was there.
    The lead generation strategy changed so much there was a time I got 25 leads in a month. Better be good at cold calling 5-year-old leads hanging out in the system. Try to make an 8k-10k quota on that?

Plan on being there for at least 2-3 years before you make decent money.

Expensive Healthcare. 401k is not good. PTO policy is lacking.

Advice to Management

The ramp-up process needs to be completely changed for new hires. Set proper expectations. The base salary is too little until someone is ramped up.

Too many Seniors took over the entire sales process and the new hire would just sit there unengaged. Do the best sales reps make the best leaders and managers?
    Maybe on every team, there is a dedicated sales trainer or sales specialist to help the entire team and their pay is based on the team's sales numbers.

Set up a mentoring program. There is no clear path to career opportunities.

That E-learning program was a joke. No accountability and zero engagement. Revamp ASAP.

Reward specific behavior based metrics. Not everything has to be a sales number.

Reward genuine optimism and positivity. Have a Culture award?

If you want to have better production on the marketing side. Increase the base salary and decrease the number of accounts people have to take on in order to make a decent wage. There is a significant diminishing return after someone has taken on 20+ clients.

You guys are slipping and know it. Is the IPO worth it?

Dec 31, 2018 – Co-Founder & Co-CEO

Thank you for the feedback and sorry you feel this way and were not successful in sales. We hope you find a position somewhere that better fits what you're looking for and find great success there... More