Marc Jacobs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bertrand Stalla-Bourdillon

Pros
  • Will pick up a lot of contacts and learn a lot (in 6 reviews)

• great people, really friendly so far (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • When I was there it was under poor management, long hours for no reason (in 10 reviews)

• There is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE upper management (in 8 reviews)

"You need thick skin"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marc Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, sample sales, well-rounded experience

Cons

Long hours, newbies who act entitled, lack of HR presence, co-workers constantly gossiping, picking up work that could be another person's workload.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees more whether it be through better benefits or competitive salaries.

"Toxic work environment. Overworked and under appreciated."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marc Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, creative atmosphere, great location of offices

Cons

Complete lack of management causing chaos in trickle down effect, unable to keep to any kind of schedule, poor use of resources, terrible work life balance, employees are overworked (between 60-90 hours for many employees) not compensated for nights weekends (which are plenty), Negative effects on employees health (physically and mentally)

Advice to Management

Pair down to a design schedule that doesn't have you in crisis mode all the time. Be respectful of employees personal lives.

"Terrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Marc Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice product, great coworkers, nothing else

Cons

Everything that has to do with this company, extremely abusive environment, unrealistic expectations, micromanaging beyond belief, this company gives you no balance between your personal life and work, it is impossible to have weekend off EVER!!! poor benefits, employees come and go, the turn over is HUDGE! If you're looking to be misrerable this is the work place for you, otherwise RUN for your life.

Advice to Management

They won't take any, it is pointless.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY

I worked at Marc Jacobs (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office and convenient location. Nice not to be in the garment district... but it's also far from the GD when you have to go.

Cons

I was hired as a freelancer and was fired after 3 days. During that time I received no commentary or criticism and was completely blindsided when I was let go. The excuse they gave was that their needs had changed, but it was clear they weren't happy with my performance. I had been hired for the position even though they knew I was just coming out of school and had no other experience besides internships.

I was extremely disappointed in the unprofessional behavior of my supervisors. They gossiped about me behind my back and instructed HR to carry out the firing so they wouldn't have to say anything to me. They had me come into work on the fourth day and finish a task before sending me down to speak with HR. Then they conveniently went into a "meeting", so when I came back to my desk to pack up my things, they didn't have to speak to me.

As is common in many high fashion companies, I felt an undercurrent of stress running through the office. There seemed to be a lot of secret conversations, a lack of transparency and honesty, and unspoken etiquette rules. I worked until 7 p.m. every night and half the floor was still there. I was under the impression that the closer it got to fashion week the later the hours would be. I was told that weekends would be a given as well. I spent my days making trips to the Garment District to search for obscure items.

They clearly made a mistake hiring me in the first place. It was extremely discouraging, because I had another job offer lined up - but I chose MJ because of the name, and by the time I was let go, the first offer was off the table. Certainly a freelancing lesson to be learned, but difficult nonetheless.

All-around sh*tty company. Don't be lured in by the glamorous name. They will axe you without batting an eye. Even the HR person who let me go was freelance, and that seems like the perfect anecdote to finish this review.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and hire less freelancers. Promote a better work-life balance. (But they won't do that, will they, because they think they can get away with anything...) Marc, stop smoking in the office. It's unhealthy and sickening.

"Accounting/Finance"

I have been working at Marc Jacobs full-time

Pros

Sample sales a couple times a year are okay, but still a bit expensive. The regular discount is not the best.

Cons

Since one of the original founders left the company has gone downhill and is trying to cut expenses wherever possible. Overall company is very unorganized and lacks clear communication from management on direction of business.

Reporting requests and policies are regularly changing which results in extra workload across teams (= very long hours) in order to meet deadlines, correct entries and report totals -- especially at end of month.

Lack of organization within accounting & finance infrastructure causes confusion in reporting, which impact all levels of the company.

A significant amount of time and money has been spent on new systems that in the end still have many bugs and do not decrease amount of manual work.

There is widespread job dissatisfaction within the department and very high turnover across division -- many senior people are leaving /have left and are being replaced by external hires. Despite any claims they make, the company is not very good at (and doesn't show much interest in) developing people or at promoting from within.

The company doesnt like to hire full-time employees and when they do no one stays very long (it's so bad that some permanent hires have left after only a couple days!). Temps are heavily used and given hope that their role will one day turn into full time position, when company never has intention to do so. With so many changes, it's hard to keep procedures the same over time.

Internal mobility (particularly within the group) is near impossible no matter how long you've been with the company or in your role (unless you're French).

Unlike other retail companies, summer fridays usually don't start until midway through the summer and taking them is not even possible some summers depending on workload.

Location of office is not convenient if commuting from outside the city.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees and it will pay back.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Marc Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great benefits

Cons

>Not enough communication from upper management or corporate
    >company down sizing quickly
    > corporate employees resigning or laid off
    >structure of the company not organized

Advice to Management

Have better communication with employees

8. "Difficult time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marc Jacobs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, and an extremely convenient location right in Soho

Cons

Difficult time for company, many changes not communicated, HR team not visible, loss of direction from top-down

9. "Marc Jacobs International"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Marc Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was the best company to work for by far. Great salary, excellent perks.

Cons

Times have changed, and the brand has changed as well.

Advice to Management

Brand has become extremely corporate, so if you are a free spirit, might not be to your liking.

10. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Marc Jacobs (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a group of talents. Good place to learn

Cons

fast working pace. No personal life

11. "Associate Designer"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Marc Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned so much in the time I was there. I completely got a full rounded experience in all accessories, and learned how to design jewelry and hardware which I would have never been able to otherwise in school. Office culture is pretty good. Sample sales were INSANE. Everything $5 and SO much stuff - rtw, bags, shoes, etc.

Cons

There is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE upper management. I mean, like actually crazy. Just because they have been in the company for 10+ years, they act as if they can treat whoever however they want. I've heard my previous bosses don't work there anymore, so maybe it's different now but at the time.. wow. Was so glad to get out of there. Also, it can be very cliquish in the office. Very hard to move up the ladder as well. Pay is a joke.