Matco Tools Reviews | Glassdoor

Matco Tools Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2019

2.4
Matco Tools President Timothy J. Gilmore (no image)
Timothy J. Gilmore
  1. "Picker packer"

I have been working at Matco Tools

Pros

The people you work with are great

Cons

Don't really have any cons

Matco Tools2017-04-13
  2. "Sop operating company franchise sales"

Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great commission opportunity good benefits

Cons

Difficult dealing with franchise owners

Matco Tools2019-06-25
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"District Manager"

I worked at Matco Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health benefits, 401K and pay if you hit bonuses.

Cons

Where to start. Field management team is an absolute wreck. Please be careful and do your research if you are thinking about a DM opportunity with this company. This is a good ole boy network of individuals who are not open to new ideas. It's their way or the highway. Due to poor performance in concerns to selling additional franchises and franchisee failure rate over the past 3-4 years, there is a large initiative... to do what ever it takes to slice up routes and to sell additional franchises at whatever cost. Besides this initiative, you will be working hand in hand, 80 hours a week and weekends with your distributors to keep them in business. This is not a rant or to bash the company this is the truth. This is definitely not a job you want if you want to sleep at night or to grow your professional career. Be careful, you were warned.

Advice to Management

Put the ego's aside and listen to your employees and distributors. Ask yourself the question, why are people leaving? For being a Fortive company it's hard to swallow for many employees the true lack of interest Matco has for it's employees and their career development. This is very apparent when you move the same handful of cronies position to position. Sad, could be a great company.

Matco Tools2018-12-07

"District Manager"

District Manager

I worked at Matco Tools for more than 3 years

Pros

Health benefits, 401k and pay if you hit bonuses.

Cons

So many cons to list. Beginning with work life balance. Expect to put in a minimum of 60 hours a week with most weeks being closer to 80. Expenses are almost entirely out of pocket and you are expected to use your own money to subsidize marketing programs and promotions. These expenses will run 5 to 10k a year. Dealing with difficult distributors. You will have all the accountability for your team and no... authority to change anything. You will be blamed for upper management's constant mistakes and incompetence. Upper management is not interested in growing the company with any reinvestment, just siphoning off all profits to fund parent company's acquisitions. More than half of the current District Managers are actively seeking new jobs. If you consider yourself a business professional, run far away. You will be beat down and burnt out.

Matco Tools2018-07-11

"What have you done for me lately?"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Matco Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, vacation time, insurance, 401K, nice bonuses if made.

Cons

High focus on recruiting, quotas hard to achieve, pushing product on overloaded distributors, difficult distributors. Company wants you to be an all-star in multiple facets be it recruiting, sales, tech ed sales, distributors, customers and dealing with problems every time the phone rings. Expenses aren't totally covered and cost employees money. At first I liked that people had been with the company very long. ... But, I sound found out Management is very dated at this company and not aware of how to grow the company where more support is needed in the field. Pay is backwards and expenses are way behind the times. They also want you to be a mentor, saint, close friend and to distributors which may not work for you. More out of pocket for that. Promotion is very difficult.

Advice to Management

Make way for new talent, hire more people in the field to handle customer issues, tech ed sales and diagnostics. Treat distributors better.

Matco Tools2017-12-29

"Going through changes, can be a good company to work for again possibly"

Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Matco Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation, work out of a home office - control your schedule,

Cons

Culture in transition - may get better, may get worse, not many opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Need some fresh blood and ideas in leadership in the upper levels, too many "sacred cows" still grasping to the good ol' days, too many leaders who have never known anything else but the tool business.

Matco Tools2017-06-01

"Working at Matco Tools (employee - NOT a Distributor)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stow, OH

I worked at Matco Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the employees are good team players.

Cons

The top managers are completely disconnected with the rest of the company. The regularly held (and mandatory) company meetings are mostly used to make themselves look good. They have an excuse ready for any missed goal. When I asked my direct manager about the upcoming projects I typically got a 'I don't know; I don't have any idea or I am just a soldier not a general' answer. Because there is no VISION there is a... general lack of motivation from most workers. This place is only safe for junior people or those who have been with the company for ages. Even with a great resume, if you are middle-aged, look somewhere else. They will spend millions on outside resources but will get rid of you without even checking your skills to save money.

Advice to Management

Listening to the comments of Matco's distributors is not enough. Saying how bad the competitor's products are is not the best way to motivate us. IF YOU HAVE ANY, share the company goals with the lower managers.

Matco Tools2017-06-26

"Slipping ...Mac Tools Killing us !"

I worked at Matco Tools

Pros

Nice people .easy to work with .very supportive . They try to help but hands are tied

Cons

Short sited...Mac Tools is killing us. A lot of Franchisee are switching!

Advice to Management

Get it going !

Matco Tools2017-05-04
  10. "Working at Matco"

Current Employee - I T in Stow, OH

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Over 20 years. It's a great place to work, but unless you have a bachelors or masters degree, don't expect much movement.

Cons

The longer you're here, the lower your annual % raise is ... no matter how good of a job you're doing.

Advice to Management

Be fair

Matco Tools2017-03-10
  11. "i love working with mechanic"

I have been working at Matco Tools full-time for less than a year

Pros

i love the freedom of this place

Cons

I don't know of any

Advice to Management

keep on doing what you do

Matco Tools2017-03-05