Middleby Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Middleby Chairman, President, and CEO Selim A. Bassoul
Selim A. Bassoul

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Working Experience"

Pros

They listen to what you have to say and a great working environment

Cons

There are no Cons for this company

2. "Needs Improvement"

I worked at Middleby full-time

Pros

- a lot of pizza there during testing.
    - You can almost do nothing there and be ok.

Cons

- Accounting micromanages everything to the point that people stopped doing their jobs knowing the accountant will do it because they do.
    - Engineering should have the power to tell people yes or no but they don't which leads to doing unnecessary work and testing.
    - No one is held accountable or ideas to improve enforced so everything always fails, but the company seems to be ok with it.
    - There are a few key individuals that are keeping that place alive but are 5-10yrs from retirement. When that tribal knowledge leaves the company is going to be in big trouble.
    - The company in a nut shell would spend $100 to save $1.

Advice to Management

Get the roles of the individuals set and keep people that shouldn't be involved in engineering and operations decisions away. There is probably $1 million dollars in waste that could be salvaged by enforcing improvement plans across the company. Spend some money to fix the water leaks and a cleaning crew to actually clean, its hard to take pride in your work while working in filth.

3. "Operations"

I worked at Middleby full-time

Pros

Growth opportunity, size and products

Cons

Lower pay than average and internal communications

4. "Management"

I worked at Middleby full-time

Pros

The company has a lot of growth opportunities. With applying lean concepts and standardized work flow processes the operation can improve drastically,

Cons

The communication and chain of command is lacking there. Which makes it very difficult to improve and impact change.

"Great company for advancement!"

I have been working at Middleby full-time

Pros

Always busy, good technology, decent budgetary expectations and multiple projects going on at the same time. The personnel are all very helpful and friendly during employment.

Cons

Long hours, multi tier management communication can be troublesome and expectations often exceed monetary compensation. Priorities often change and projects seem to disappear without any resolution.

Advice to Management

Better communication between the levels of management. Also, more realistic compensation and better opportunities for internal growth. Projects should be more controlled and managers should use the appropriate action when work is not completed.

"Middleby"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL

I worked at Middleby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You had a very clear expectation of what needed to be accomplished on any project. People were given a direction and a due date and were not micro managed.

Cons

Too much time and energy wasted on trying to "get around" things instead of just completing what needs to be done. Upper management needed to commit to completing projects.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions from employees and middle management over stock holders.

"Management"

I have been working at Middleby full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very aggressive team environment, self directed , feels like a small company , but large and global in reach

Cons

Not for everyone ... Need to be self motivated, need to make a difference to get ahead and noticed , no large HR organization

"Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Lodi, WI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Lodi, WI

I have been working at Middleby full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company growth and continued strong sales

Cons

Smaller organization with very tight budgets

Advice to Management

Invest in R&D and allow your employees to use more of their time for outside the box thinking

9. "delighted to work at Middleby for 6 years"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Middleby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great autonomous and entrepreneurial culture. I left a Fortune 100 company that made it several years in a row on the "most admired companies to work for". They had tremendous perks but awful politics. At Middleby, you are not bogged down in boring meetings or spending hours in silly paperwork. you just do your job and you are rewarded on your performance. I love the fact that I interface with very bright and passionate people in engineering and in sales. I am not just a number at the company. Even our CEO, Selim Bassoul, who leads by example is accessible to all of us. As a middle manager at one of the smaller divisions, I am allowed to disrupt the way we do business and to change the rules to make things better. We are allowed to do anything to take care of the customer. It makes my job easier. I like to treat people the way I want to be treated. Middleby allows me to make things right. In addition, we get paid a profit sharing for all the employees if we hit our targets. Pretty simple.

Cons

Middleby is a very lean organization. If you like a structured environment and a big HR department, Middleby is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Great management, awesome company keep doing what you are doing. As the company gets bigger (over a $1.0 billion) i hope we do not become a bureaucratic organization.

10. "Outstanding Place to Work, Great Management Team"

Current Employee - Sales in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Middleby full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management team is outstanding and open to ideas from anywhere in the company. It is a great place to grow, not to worry about memos and layers of management. You can blaze your own trail at Middleby and there is always something new to learn, never a dull day at work. Great people, great company, great management.

Cons

If you need constant direction or handholding there is not much of it here. New employees are expected to hit the ground running. Not everyone is a fits into the Middleby culture, it is unique.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to keep the employee morale high and driving the financial success of the company.