Minitab Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.6
Barbara F. Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company , so glad I was hired!"

I have been working at Minitab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid caring company with integrity and transparency. Great approachable C-Level team, felt immediately at home with them and able to share my ideas . I am happy with the transparency around the company direction and our expansions, which all made sense in such a competitive global arena. I was also amazed at the respect Senior management have for staff, above and beyond stuff you rarely see these days - Decent competitive pay, fantastic paid benefits , company wide profit based bonus , 401k etc on site wellness expert, swimming pool/gym and just a total understanding of a healthy work/life balance!

Cons

Some staff need to understand the current economic climate and the necessity of realignment for relevancy and continued revenue. If it were my company I'd be more ruthless, less pandering to cut loose the dead and negative weight, feel keeping folks as a courtesy has led to some bitterness you see on odd reviews on here. As someone with global experience with many major name media/tech and fintech corps I can honestly say this has been the most exciting and thoughtful company - I think there's a small bunch of staff that don't realize how good they have it! Really!

Advice to Management

Keep up the global agility to continue to keep the company relevant and keep revenue increasing. Realize many staff are invigorated and engaged by revenue goal strategies even if that meant another realignment! Keep supporting staff that show initiative and pace to go the mile, many of us are happy to be here for the long haul, some of us might need to learn along the way but I for one am eager to keep relevant and try as we move onward and upward even more.

"Just like Stepford"

I have been working at Minitab full-time

Pros

Benefits on par with other software companies as well as central PA's top employers.

Cons

Just as in the movie "The Stepford Wives" as long as you submit to reprogramming you will do fine here. Just be aware that the reprogramming is constant as strategies change- sometimes daily.

Advice to Management

You once said in front of a roomful of people, "we'll need to do something about those negative Glassdoor reviews." You didn't care about fixing the things that many are pointing out - you just cared about hiding the truth and boosting the reviews. There's no advice I can give.......

"Awful - Use Extreme Caution"

I have been working at Minitab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers (although talent is leaving at an accelerated rate), good benefits, gym, great workout benefits and pto. Benefits have been reduced already in recent years so additional reductions are possible and expected.

Cons

Where to begin... Minitab used to be a great place to work. Lots of collaboration, team work, motivated employees. It was the type of place where everyone would pull together to accomplish great things. It was even regarded as one of the top places to work in PA.

Everything changed when a new president was named in 2015. Since then, benefits have been reduced, the company went through several rounds of layoffs to streamline the workforce and then the most recent trend - employees are just let go and then subsequently replaced in another location.

This has left an ugly work environment. The most talented employees are leaving and many others are biding their time until a better opportunity comes along. There is no direction and those in management seem to be searching "how do I run a company" on Google. There are many vacant positions at Minitab today and with reviews like many of the ones that appear here, top talent are not applying for these positions. Some positions are even advertised anonymously through a third party in an effort to attract talent.

If you are considering working here - try to sit back and see through the people you are talking to. The position you are applying for exists not because of growth, or company restructuring; it's because the person who used to do it found a better opportunity, or Minitab decided to blame that person for the failure of whatever short sighted strategy top management asked them to implement. This review, like many others, is from someone not affected by layoffs or by restructuring but by an employee doing what most others are - going to a soulless job every day, looking for another opportunity and planning their escape.

Advice to Management

At some point you will have to sit down and look at the facts. Outsourcing was a disaster, downsizing left considerably knowledge gaps and getting rid of experienced employees to replace them with new blood didn't help either. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is you, not them.

"Dysfunction is in their DNA"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Minitab (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have hundreds of empty offices to choose from, many with windows. You can choose from one of hundred different flavors of free coffee or tea. Easy to find a bathroom that’s empty so you can have privacy. Lots of empty meeting rooms so easy to schedule a meeting, though it’s unclear if who you invited will still be working there when the meeting rolls around.

Cons

Day-to-day frustrations. Management has spent the past two years telling individual employees and many teams that there’s no data quantifying the value they bring to the company, so it's not clear how their contribution affects the bottom line. Publicly saying this in front of other employees and at times in front of the entire organization. Management points out the flaws with their employees and teams with zero focus on their strengths and contributions. The new leadership will openly call an effort a failure, even though the effort can’t possibly be successful unless they sponsored and supported it – which they typically don’t. The owner and other execs have been heard saying many times regarding a failed effort “See, I told you so”. This after years of relentless hard work by many people and tremendous cost attempting to create a new product, capability, or service. All so us individual contributors can try to grow the company and bring in more profit for YOU the owners. And you and the rest of the senior management sit on the sidelines for years and then pat yourself on the back for guessing it was going to fail while you never supported it in the first place. Shame on you.

Requests for a clear job description, objectives, and a fair review of your job performance are ignored. HR executive has told people "you don't have to work here if you don't like it" even when people are simply just trying to ask for clarity on the new strategy of the company and what their new job is so they can perform it better. Managers spend little to no effort to work with employees to figure out how best to craft up roles and responsibilities to get the most value from them and bring the most benefit to the company. Leadership thinks it better to have all the employees in the dark believing that their role is perpetually up for assessment so employees are scared of loosing their job. This helps the executive team justify cuts to salary, benefits, and to scare employees into working harder. The lack of respect management displays and their inability to develop employees is painful to watch. Those with talent and other options are just leaving or management is forcing them out so that they can just have a lower paid workforce that is afraid to ask questions or challenge decisions. People feel demoralized and defeated on a daily basis.

It’s sad to see those who started off as happy well adjusted professionals a decade or two ago now just miserable walking in each day with depressed looks on their faces. In the past 2 years, over 20 people who I would work and interact with on a frequent basis in order to accomplish what I need to are gone and I haven't had one conversation (not a single one) with my manager to strategize what impact that might have had on my workflow and/or accomplishing what I need to despite repeated requests for one. As a manager, how can you not even be the least bit curious to know the impact something like that has on people you manage? It would actually help you be a better manager and to make smarter decisions.

Advice to Management

Where have you been the past couple decades? If you want to be a C-level executive, you actually need to show up more than a few days a month. And you need to make hard decisions when it matters, not 10+ years later. All the successes of the company has not come from leadership but from individuals and teams. We’ve been trying so hard to figure out how to grow the customer base, increase customer satisfaction, improve the product, create new services, execute marketing efforts to improve our marketshare, improve internal operations and reduce inefficiencies – all to try to steer this ship. You finally have woken up to the fact that this company hasn’t been run well but fail to realize it’s been you all along. You’ve been kicking-the-can down the road on so many standard executive decisions that you don’t realize how damaging that’s been. And leaving all of us to constantly clean up the mess. You've spent way too much money on unnecessary extras and not on product development, marketing, sales, developing employees, and all the other important efforts that matter for a business.

And by the way - None of your ideas are new nor impressive. We've been suggesting most of them all along. So many of us have been fighting an up hill battle with you the past 20+ years trying to get you to understand what we all know and see working day-in and day-out with our customers and our offerings. Not surprising when almost every executive the company has had had no prior business experience at that level. They were simply liked by the owner because they didn't threaten her nor push her into doing what she should have been. A CEO is supposed to be present more than 1-2 days a month. You should have stepped aside 20 years ago, letting someone with experience and ability run the company. You mucked up almost everything you touched!

"Greed and Corruption"

I have been working at Minitab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of parking space and many open offices to choose from.

Cons

Employees made to feel like a disposable widget, wage freezes, eroding benefits, horrible morale, questionable future for the local office. No vision for the future, egos get in the way of real business practices. An example for business scholl for how NOT to run a company.

Advice to Management

None to give since they really don't care. I guess they really don't need to since they can isolate themselves in the multi-million dollar "Corporate center" that is used about 3 days a month. And fly to the new offices in their private jets. And update their on-line profiles to look like they have actually accomplished something. Better learn to code while sitting in your jet....you will need to know how when all the developers are gone.

"Don’t work here if you’re interested in your sanity."

Former Employee - Technical Support in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in State College, PA

I worked at Minitab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A long-standing reputation with customers. Many of them love the product and appreciate the help you provide them though they have no idea how dysfunctional the company is. If you get to work directly with customers, you'll get lots of positive feedback regarding the help you provided them. However, it's the only place you'll receive compliments and appreciation. Management is not giving any of that out AT ALL!

Cons

Horribly managed company. It was inefficient and management has been making poor decisions for a very long time. Many failed attempts at new products. People in charge wouldn’t make the necessary decisions so teams would go in circles for way longer than they should have on the same conversations. Everything would have to get reworked over and over and deadlines constantly missed. But the culture had a great work life balance and there wasn’t the stress and demands of typical corporate life. So the insanity was at least bearable. That’s all gone. Still a poorly run company making the same ill informed decisions, but now with everyone stressed and scared about loosing their job. New president is narcissistic and doesn’t understand what his responsibility is. Owner has little grip on reality. Secrecy and scandal throughout. Power grabs. People throwing others under the bus to save themselves. Pretty certain the company is being sold and the owners are trying to set it up so they make the most money from the sale without rewarding those who have spent most of their professional lives building the company to what it is. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Why bother giving it to you. You think you know all the answers already and taking others advice would make you feel more insecure than you already do. By the way, you might want to consider how it looks to be flying around in a private jet while half the company is getting let go. And cutting bonuses and raises that same year you built that multi-million dollar building that’s only used a few days a month was disgusting!!!

"Zero Stars"

I have been working at Minitab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My resume is now up to date and I have learned that if you have to try hard to have a "culture" you probably don't have one.

Cons

This is a company that manages by popularity. Those who suck up the most will get ahead. Head-down thinking workers are left in the dust. But the good ones that realize they are worth far better treatment than they are getting are leaving.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entire management team.

"If only I could give a half star..."

I worked at Minitab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't work there anymore.

Cons

What once was a great, and I mean GREAT, place to work is nothing but a vortex of immature, ineffectual gossips hounds without a clue on how to get the company to the next level. If you miss high school, go work at Minitab. All of the cliques, backstabbing, and popularity contests will seem horrifyingly familiar. And, if you actually are a mature, capable human being, you'll be black-balled and sidelined for less capable co workers whose work you'll also be doing while they run around delegating and gossiping.

Advice to Management

Hire new management and then promptly fire yourselves.

"Top to Bottom Dysfunction"

I have been working at Minitab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Swimming pool.
    Complete gym with fitness programs on site.
    Modern offices and conference rooms.
    Full kitchens and free coffee.
    Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Minitab found early success in a niche market and ran much like a family business with a remarkably casual culture and no serious competition or market pressure. Realizing more recently that a monolithic desktop application probably wouldn’t sustain growth indefinitely, it has been trying to transition into a “real company” capable of innovation in its products and supporting modern computing platforms. After multiple failed attempts at new products and platforms over the last decade, the people overseeing those failures have been appointed to executive leadership. They immediately proceeded to lay off a third of the workforce in favor of ad-hoc subcontractor relationships and a highly-questionable acquisition. Other tactical moves included cutting benefits, abandoning the social culture that made Minitab a tolerable place to work for many, and eliminating any prior transparency into business decisions and strategy. While waves of mostly productive employees were being laid off on a whim, managers were continuously promoted and publicly congratulated for their “success” during constant reorganizations. Unsurprisingly, morale crashed, and many employees willingly left. The company addressed this with an astonishing degree of unprofessionalism. Employees were told that morale is their problem to solve and were repeatedly invited to leave if unhappy. Raising any concerns only brands one as hard to work with, or as unwilling to adapt to the company’s “new direction.” After several “complainers” were relieved of their jobs, others quickly learned to keep their heads down while looking elsewhere for opportunities.

Within the product development department, things are worse. Managers don’t recognize the skillsets and competency of developers and have no objective means of assessing them. Many employees are over- or undervalued based on social or cultural criteria. Positions and promotions are often not merit-based, and many’s titles are not commensurate with responsibilities, dedication, or competency. The department operates in a constant triage fashion, valuing those who can quickly make changes to the software with little regard for fundamental software principles, such as the impact to maintainability. There are no strong technical leaders, and no software leadership representation in upper management or involvement in business decisions. The department has grown stagnant, with no time, incentive, or opportunity for career growth or innovation. Everything is micromanaged to no benefit. Developers have become increasingly complacent and yield ever more authority to incompetent program managers whose only job is to enforce a status quo of bastardized agile processes. Because of this, worthless planning and status meetings fill many’s calendars where design and brainstorming sessions should. Though there is much talk of accountability, managers seem never to be held accountable when overseeing failures or massive rework efforts. If you understand and appreciate the fundamentals of software development, you will not be happy here!

Advice to Management

Put some effort and rigor into software development, rather than just sales and marketing. Hire some competent senior software engineers and give them the authority to make decisions and lead others. Let them tell you what is reasonable to accomplish technically in a given amount of time, rather than the other way around. Put some competent developers on modernization projects that aren't on the critical path. Let them innovate. Rely heavier on developers who understand that testing is part of their work, and rely less on quality assurance to find inexcusable errors. Ease up on middle management scheduling meetings all day and rarely, if ever, contributing anything of value. Meetings should be fast and few with an explicit agenda and action items. Find a way to objectively evaluate the performance of developers that takes quality of implementation into account. People, including managers, should be held accountable for shoddy work and decisions, just like any other discipline.

"Choose not to enter"

I have been working at Minitab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salaries

Cons

Right-sizing in the past two years has many nervous about the future

Advice to Management

Tell us what is going on, stop the secrecy.