Moderna Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 72 reviews

3.5
Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel
Stéphane Bancel
Pros
  • "Nice benefits, free lunch in Cambridge or stipend lunch in Norwood, interesting science being worked on, most people are friendly(in 20 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment and exponential career growth(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The culture is almost non existent but is talked up constantly by upper management(in 9 reviews)

• "50-60 hrs week is very normal, and no work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Extremely bright and very passionate team trying to change the world with mRNA"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Moderna is a very exciting work environment. Leaders and team are highly engaged -- especially if you like creating, building and breaking new ground. There are many opportunities to learn, as well as, to leave your mark . The Executive Team is very accessible and open to hearing proposals for making things better and faster.

Cons

Moderna is a young company and still 'under construction' in many areas. If you are not willing to roll-up your sleeves and help to build the future, Moderna might a difficult place. If you are expecting a finely tuned machine with a well-established work routine, you may be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there are too many concurrent 'top priorities'. If everything is a priority, then nothing is a priority.

Moderna2019-07-30

August 7, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your Moderna experience! We ARE a team of builders here - great point. And while many areas are 'under new construction' we accomplishing amazing things at an unprecedented pace.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Process and Integration in Boston, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company allows flexibility and creativity in the workplace. I have the power to make a difference.

Cons

It is growing and getting things done is slowing down but that is to be expected given the growth the company is experiencing. It can only be a good thing for Moderna.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees.

Moderna2019-10-02
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Maturing ahead of success"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time

Pros

Friendly collaborative people. The company is based on a single technology platform (mRNA) meaning all employees have a common mission. Leadership believes in the technology . Reasonably good benefits.

Cons

Currently in between the earlier frenetic approach to product development and now as a public company needing to be more frugal and measured.

Advice to Management

Some turnover at upper levels isn't a bad thing.

Moderna2019-10-02
  5. "Word on the street..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have probably heard that Moderna can be a challenging place to work, so let me share my experience and thoughts on what it's like to work here. Moderna is truly doing amazing things, along with this comes the need to work hard and manage multiple priorities and fill holes as we grow. You are going to need to step in and advocate for what you believe is the right things to do, respectfully question peoples... approaches and come to the best answer. Does this make it easy to get things done? not always, but we are focused on delivering the best outcomes for patients and learning to do things differently. We are doing this while advancing a unprecedented number of drugs through the clinic. This quote comes to mind when I think about Moderna: “When companies grow quickly, there are more things to do than there are people to do them. When companies grow more slowly or stop growing, there is less to do and too many people to be doing them. Politics and stagnation set in, and everyone falters. He told me, "If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, you don't ask what seat. You just get on." Eric Schmidt in 2001 when he was Google’s CEO Some of the pros of working here: Engaged, Focused, and smart people working to develop a new class of medicines Great benefits; 90% of medical premiums paid, free lunch, 16 weeks paid parental leave for males and females, equity for all full-time employees, free lunch every day, great commuter benefits.

Cons

Workload - you need to be skilled and prioritizing and making trade-offs

Moderna2019-09-30

October 1, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

I could not agree more - we are all on that 'rocket ship' you mention and feel honored to be part of Moderna's relentless pursuit of mRNA to help patients find new options. We aren't for everyone - but we are for those that connect with our mission and truly believe. THANK YOU for your input! April Eldred, Head, Talent Acquisition

6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate

I have been working at Moderna full-time

Pros

Cons

Some under qualified employees hold high level titles, it seems priority at some points is for green initiatives and employee swag (instead of the science, maintaining the facilities, ensuring there are enough employees per team, finding desk space for employees)

Advice to Management

Hire more people where needed and slowly phase in cross-training

Moderna2019-09-23

October 1, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! Yes, we are definitely challenged on space in Cambridge. Luckily, we have a plan! It will still be a 'work in progress' for a bit . All 'high growth' problems for biotech in Kendall Square. As a flat organization, we will always run lean - however, we are focusing on cross-training initiatives in parts of the Company currently, and investing in high-growth/high-need areas. Happy to share more if you are interested! Thanks again. April Eldred - Head, Talent Acquisition

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company Culture. Sense of belonging.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the company. Takes longer than expected.

Moderna2019-09-10

"Unrealistic expectations by management of their employees"

I have been working at Moderna

Pros

Benefits, free lunch, onsite gym, people are nice and wicked smart.

Cons

Job leveling is not like any place I've ever been and, for an early phase company, isn't realistic. A company at this stage should be more flexible and willing to support employees to retain them. Managers often have 6-10 direct reports (or more) and are performing at a director level without the title or pay. In general, the fast pace is more because leaders are unable or unwilling to push back on exec leadership... when expectations are too high. Lots of 'yes' people chasing down the most recent ask of leadership. Not a lot of ability to personalize space or work quietly - makes it hard to feel like you can put down roots at this place. No flexibility to work remotely. This comes from the very top of the org.

Advice to Management

Employees know that this isn't the only game in town - management needs to advocate for their teams and not just say yes to the execs' every whim all the time. The pace says more about the org than the employees: think about young kids playing soccer. Everyone mobs around the ball - no true strategy. That's what needs to change here.

Moderna2019-09-13
  9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at Moderna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teams, very collaborative. It feels like everyone is working very hard to achieve the same goal.

Cons

Long hours and a bit stressful to meet tight deadlines.

Moderna2019-08-18

"Overcrowded, cold and toxic culture"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Moderna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Insurance is pretty comparable to other companies, subsidized transportation, free lunch is nice if you don’t mind waiting in line and having no where to sit but at your desk most days

Cons

The culture is almost non existent but is talked up constantly by upper management. People are stressed and not happy to be at work, are overworked and cut corners which makes me question the quality of some of the work. Everyone constantly complains how absolutely freezing cold it is in the offices. People have to wear jackets inside in the summer. Space is really limited to the point that it feels like a turf war.... This is one of the most unwelcoming places I’ve ever worked. Some of the language used and stories I’ve overheard are completely offensive and sound like bullying. It’s completely embarrassing to think this has been going on without anyone stepping in. How does this get overlooked? I guess people don’t reach out to HR anymore because they don’t trust that HR is there for the employee. HR is really there for the company.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice: people can handle stress tons of work etc. but once the environment becomes toxic and the culture is ruined by hateful language, and that language is accepted by others around them, then people don’t seem to care about their work anymore. The amount of talking behind people’s backs makes it feel like being back in high school. It shouldn’t be shrugged off and creates a very hostile environment... that needs to be addressed. The new hires shouldn’t come in and look around wondering why this was ever okay.

Moderna2019-09-04

September 11, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective. Moderna certainly takes a hard line on ANY accusations of bullying or inappropriate behavior. All employees are encouraged to anonymously report any potential violations of our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics via our ethics hotline or website. We are committed to our employees' health, well-being, and job satisfaction - and to creating and environment where everyone can do their very best work. We strive to foster a feedback-heavy culture - and hope anyone on-site at Moderna feels welcomed by HR.

"Could be a great place to work, management is not good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Moderna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits and Perks, HR Team is responsive with proven leadership. Could be a great place to work but in dire need of help with living up to the core values with some current managers.

Cons

Communication and expectation setting deplorable. Managers in dire need of leadership training. Environment fosters negativity. Has great potential but there needs to be a solid growth plan, needs assessment and significant improvement with work life balance. Open concept seating meant for collaboration but it is proven to be a detriment not a help. Not enough thank you's for the work being done but a lot of... negativity for what needs to be done with current staff and management.

Advice to Management

Develop management training program with a defined measurement strategy to help managers manage people that includes growth plans and career paths. Develop ways to improve work life balance by allowing 10 hour 4 day work weeks in the summer months to motivate people and allow for ample time with family or providing flexible work schedules that are supported. Improve business processes that are realistic and aren't... micro managed to the extent it impedes the ability to progress. Needs assessment throughout departments for ample staffing. Lastly, remove the managers that are causing dissatisfaction and turnover to allow for consistency, growth and improvements. If it's broken, fix it.

Moderna2019-06-13

July 19, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We take communicating with and developing our employees very seriously and have launched a plan to better enable our managers and grow their leadership capabilities. In addition, though our engagement surveys, and ‘Voice of the Employee’ group, we have heard great feedback/ideas on how to continue to support our culture in a way that helps our employees do their best work and thrive in our fast-paced environment. Growing pains, for sure. We appreciate these thoughts and constantly look to improve. ~April Eldred, Head, Talent Acquisition

Found 72 reviews