NFP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
NFP Chief Executive Officer Douglas W. Hammond
Douglas W. Hammond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "NFP has a great culture and flexibility for a great work life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "I look forward to coming to work because I feel fulfilled at work and a big bonus is I work with great people" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance was tilted more towards work than not" (in 6 reviews)

• "Teams can feel silo based and senior management does not always seem organized and can be slow to react" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"NFP Is Unlike Any Other Company You've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although my perspective comes from Austin, Texas, I have to say that we all work well together as a team. We're constantly growing and thinking of innovative strategies. NFP is unlike any company I've ever worked for, in that our mission statement is truly enforced; it's not just a dusty old sign on that hangs on the wall. Time and time again, I see "People First" being practiced by all employees at every level of experience. The environment truly allows you to thrive.

Cons

Sometimes the importance of delivering excellent customer service can be a bit taxing when you're trying to make project deadlines or have other deliverable projects due. This is however, a "con" that you would find at any company, and it's minimal compared to other opportunities in the community.

Advice to Management

It's important to continue innovative practices so employees can streamline day to day challenges, and focus on bigger projects with precision. Continue thinking outside the box to support your employees!

"Best Company for Which I've Worked"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at NFP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NFP places strong emphasis on ensuring their employees' happiness within their current role. On at least two occasions I've seen them work with their employees to help move them into a different role based on the employee's choice. They emphasize that if you are not happy in your current role, they would love to place you in a position in which you can prosper rather than lose you.

I feel HEARD by my peers and by management. NFP has groups of employees that are passionate about particular subjects and who work within those areas to effect positive change. Management is on board.

The salary in my position is excellent and I feel that there is potential for and room to grow, as well as resources and training to help you get there.

Excellent diversity program.

Cons

Benefits pricing is a little rich and I do wish the 401K match was a little higher.

Advice to Management

Keep letting your employees drive change!! Remain flexible - it's one of your best perks :)

"Overall, A Great Company to Work For!"

I have been working at NFP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NFP generally cares about its employees and offers a comprehensive benefits package as well as work/life balance. NFP has one of the best PTO plans that I am aware of for new hires - 18 days off to start. I really appreciate the fact that management is flexible with schedules and knows that there is life beyond the office. Colleagues are generally friendly and team-oriented. The company takes time to celebrate milestones - birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Cons

Certain individuals may exhibit unprofessional behavior, which can make for a negative or toxic work environment. Depending on the sales office and location, there may be limited ability to advance within the company. Compensation is not always competitive for various positions, but luckily some employees remain loyal even if they could potentially earn a higher salary elsewhere.

Advice to Management

HR should make sure that a positive work environment is maintained. Consider a comprehensive salary review in each market that NFP has a presence. Keep up the great work with providing employees with a solid benefits package!

4. "Large company managed in silos"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at NFP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with some talented employees

Cons

Comoany is segmented and does not cross-sell well

Advice to Management

Make organizational chart and contacts transparent

5. "Good company for young professionals"

Former Employee - Managing Director
    Former Employee - Managing Director

I worked at NFP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for newbie

Cons

Few positions for senior people

"Positive, Formidable Organization"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Client, Employee and Community Centric in helping transform the health care delivery system

Cons

No cons. Encouragement to continue the momentum against industry resistance to change.

Advice to Management

Maintain positive momentum

"Advisor/consultant employee benefits"

Current Employee - Advisor/Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Advisor/Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 10 years and am extremely happy. I am exceeding all my goals and the team of people I work with are the reason why. From the person that sits at the front desk to the people that manage the company everyone is client focused and ready to jump in and help. That is very rare in our industry. Bottom line - The people that work here are the best of the best, they are extremely knowledgeable and client oriented. NFP gives them what they need and lets them do their job. Employees enjoy a tremendous amount of flexibility and autonomy and are paid dry well. Our sales team is one of best in the industry.

Cons

The employee benefits business isn’t easy. Clients are more demanding as they are faced with more challenges. They expect us to be an extension of their team. Sometimes we have a hard time recruiting and training new people (mainly due to our industry) . We need to figure it out though. NFP doesn’t use technology to automate tasks and needs to innovate more quickly. Newer employees need to be taught how important clients are and have the same commitment to customer service as the longer tenured team members do. Don’t hire people that don’t share the same culture or passion to serve clients needs.

Advice to Management

Investigate ways to become more efficient using technology to lighten the workload. The industry as a whole is not innovative in this area and could learn from other similar industries how to automate tasks. Keep listening to the field, and the support teams. The reason NFP is different is because we have a say in what happens and are free to serve our clients. Avoid trying to nationalize everything. We are different form or competitors for a reason. It’s the customer service and local relationships that make us unique. Don’t forget that.

NFP Response

Feb 8, 2019 – Director

We have fantastic Technology, Integration and Innovation teams working hard to find the right solutions to drive and support our business and clients. Thank you for the feedback and for your personal... More

"Just BAD!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at NFP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can get really lucky with your manager here, and they offer time flexibility which most can’t take advantage of because they are overworked.

Cons

First- most reviews on here are fake and forced by HR. The place touts itself for great culture which doesn’t exist but management lives in their own made up world. The office is split into two camps- actual hard working people and charlatans who walk around and pretend to work. If you lick boots here, and management likes you, you can get away with anything. There is zero accountability, again if they like you. Get well versed in football and golf, and start sucking up and you’ll never have to work again. Most don’t even show up to work and “work remotely”. Promotions are not merit based- if you’ve been here long enough but don’t do any work then you will be promoted because that’s just the logical next step here. If you work hard, and they notice you burning out they will promote you to prevent you from leaving, nothing will happen before that because you have earned it. HR is a JOKE. Seriously- a literal joke. So are their benefits. They are trying to establish process’s but just like everything else it’s done backwards. They’ve lost some good talent, will continue to lose more people just leaving riff raff behind most of whom aren’t qualified to work anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Take off your rose colored glasses and pay attention. Learn how to take take criticism without acting like a bunch of high school girls from Mean Girls. Also- learn how to say hi to your employees instead of staring at your phone 24/7- cause your culture is so great!

NFP Response

Feb 27, 2019 – Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry you feel the reviews here are fake or forced – they aren’t – as we really do want and ask for honest feedback. NFP is committed to... More

9. "Great company, depending on location"

Current Employee - Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at NFP full-time

Pros

NFP has good core values. They say putting people first, their employees, and it's personal. Doug Hammond genuinely care about the employees. Good benefits, decent PTO. Great employees.

Cons

Depending on the office the values change. People first means different things to different offices and the employees aren't always highest on the list. It's uncomfortable to be watched all day to make sure you stay at your desk. Sick time is frowned in even when it's the stress of the job making you sick. They're is high turnover of good employees. Management doesn't really manage and there's no one to go to when you need help.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make all offices follow the NFP way. NFP is a great company that should be consistent.

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Lehi, UT

I have been working at NFP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I happened to notice a negative review about the NFP Utah office and wanted to write a review because I've had a much different experience. The NFP Utah office has been a great place to work. I feel valued by my manager and am challenged every day. I look forward to coming to work because I feel fulfilled at work and a big bonus is I work with great people. Management wants people to exceed and excel. I feel there is a lot of growth and opportunities in our office which excites and motivates me.

Cons

With the nature of the industry, fourth quarter can be high stress with open enrollment. The job has one really busy season and then the rest of the year is less stressful. I wish the workload was more spread out.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are keeping pay competitive so you can retain top talent.